Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Grilling

Wedgie

Smoked pork loin with an applewood rub injected with apple juice. Used maple wood in the smoker. attachicon.gif 20180805_174452.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've never used maple on pork. Always Apple or cherry. It have any other distinct flavor? Those loins sure look tasty!

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I've never used maple on pork. Always Apple or cherry. It have any other distinct flavor? Those loins sure look tasty!

It's a mild flavor and you actually can taste a hint of the maple in them, it's one of my go to's along with apple. Thank you azstu!

I usually use overnight or longer marinades on grilled food.

I'm afraid to go straight to the grill with pork, though.  I tend to microwave it first which detracts significantly, but if I see pink on pork, my stomach turns.  That's true with chicken, too, but chicken will cook through on the grille if you give it enough time.

If I don't go with marinades, I go with rubs.  I pierce the meat first with one of those mechanical gadgets that they sell in kitchen stores, then marinate or rub it. 

Truth be told, though, I'd rather go out and let the professionals cook.  I'm not in their class.

I'm afraid to go straight to the grill with pork, though. I tend to microwave it first which detracts significantly, but if I see pink on pork, my stomach turns. That's true with chicken, too, but chicken will cook through on the grille if you give it enough time.

If I don't go with marinades, I go with rubs. I pierce the meat first with one of those mechanical gadgets that they sell in kitchen stores, then marinate or rub it.

Truth be told, though, I'd rather go out and let the professionals cook. I'm not in their class.

I definitely understand the fear of under cooking either of those meats. When I got my smoker, I immediately bought an instant read thermometer. My wife bought me a unit at Christmas that has a transmitter and receiver that I can monitor in the house, I think it's made by temp pro.

USDA guidelines recommend at least 145 degrees for pork, but just to be safe I get it closer to 160.

It's a mild flavor and you actually can taste a hint of the maple in them, it's one of my go to's along with apple. Thank you azstu!

I'll have to say you've inspired me. I'm gonna hunt down some maple chips this week. Pretty sure I've got a couple of loins in the freezer that need to get smoked this weekend. I'd imagine that pairs well with a sugary pork or chicken rub. You tried the maple with red meat? I'll usually smoke a tri-tip with a loin, take the loin out and finish up the tip with hickory. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I'm afraid to go straight to the grill with pork, though.  I tend to microwave it first which detracts significantly, but if I see pink on pork, my stomach turns.  That's true with chicken, too, but chicken will cook through on the grille if you give it enough time.

If I don't go with marinades, I go with rubs.  I pierce the meat first with one of those mechanical gadgets that they sell in kitchen stores, then marinate or rub it. 

Truth be told, though, I'd rather go out and let the professionals cook.  I'm not in their class.

A real easy tip for pork is to preheat the oven to 375 while you're grilling. Grill at high temp like a steak to flash sear and get those nice marks on the outside. Once you've got a nice sear and even char on the pork, finish it in the oven for about 5 min. The searing helps hold in the moisture and baking in the oven will bring the internal temp up without drying out the meat. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I should try one of those smoker things, but being a New Englander, I don't have anybody to show me how to use it.

I'd recommend to go electric if you're interested. It's not the "traditionalists" choice but SO easy to use and very low maintenance. 

I've had this one for about 3 years and still works like a champ. It has a built-in temp probe that reads on the external digital control box. I find it's pretty accurate. You still manually feed the wood chips but doesn't require opening the door. There's a canister on the side that slides out to add wood. There are others for more $ but this is perfect for a small setup or a beginner. And, Youtube has a ton of how-to videos on smoking.  

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/masterbuilt-30-electric-digital-smokehouse-15msbu30lctrcsmkrcfp/15msbu30lctrcsmkrcfp?camp=CSE:DSG_pg77067_ecom_PLA_452&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuZKO-LXb3AIVj_5kCh0NwQ_bEAkYBSABEgJvG_D_BwE

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I'll have to say you've inspired me. I'm gonna hunt down some maple chips this week. Pretty sure I've got a couple of loins in the freezer that need to get smoked this weekend. I'd imagine that pairs well with a sugary pork or chicken rub. You tried the maple with red meat? I'll usually smoke a tri-tip with a loin, take the loin out and finish up the tip with hickory.

I haven't been able to try it with red meat, it's one of those situations where I'm cooking for the wife and myself and she doesn't eat beef. I'll have to try it, though. One of my favorite things about a smoker is the amount of experimentation you can do.

I usually buy my chips from Academy Sports, if you have one in your area. They're usually priced better than anywhere else.

Enjoy!

This is my smoker, built and then modified by me: 20160514_180052_zpsydrx2qxx.jpg

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I haven't been able to try it with red meat, it's one of those situations where I'm cooking for the wife and myself and she doesn't eat beef. I'll have to try it, though. One of my favorite things about a smoker is the amount of experimentation you can do.

I usually buy my chips from Academy Sports, if you have one in your area. They're usually priced better than anywhere else.

Enjoy!

Looks like Academy sports is a Southern States company. None here in AZ. I usually try Bass Pro, Cabelas, or even order my chips off of Amazon. 

One of the projects that I love on the smoker is making jerky. Pork jerky is outstanding! Just take those loins and slice them thin, let them soak in a marinade for a couple of days. My pork marinade is made with pineapple juice, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, sriracha, chili flake, and smoked paprika. Meat sticks are also really good but are a little more of a task to prepare. 

ooh.. I might try making pork jerky with maple wood. That can't not be good right?!

mmmmm.... meat... 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Looks like Academy sports is a Southern States company. None here in AZ. I usually try Bass Pro, Cabelas, or even order my chips off of Amazon.

One of the projects that I love on the smoker is making jerky. Pork jerky is outstanding! Just take those loins and slice them thin, let them soak in a marinade for a couple of days. My pork marinade is made with pineapple juice, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, sriracha, chili flake, and smoked paprika. Meat sticks are also really good but are a little more of a task to prepare.

ooh.. I might try making pork jerky with maple wood. That can't not be good right?!

mmmmm.... meat...

That sounds phenomenal, I'm going to have to try that. How long do you have to let it smoke? Can't say that I've ever tried making jerky.

That sounds phenomenal, I'm going to have to try that. How long do you have to let it smoke? Can't say that I've ever tried making jerky.

Depending on the thickness of the meat and quantity, I usually like it a little thicker but usually around 8-10 hrs if you just put it straight in the smoker. Usually 1 batch makes enough to fill a gallon zip-loc bag. Keep in mind that it's a process of sucking the moisture out which means low temp with circulation are required. Usually around 180* and open all of the vents to create a convection effect. A trick that I've used to speed up the process is to start on a fairly hot grill (500*). This flash cooks the meat and also adds some caramelization and even some tasty char. In turn, cuts the smoker time almost in half. This is another "trial and error" event. Usually I let the meat dance with the smoke for about 3 hours and then just let the meat cook and dry for the rest. 

When marinating, I do at least 48 hours with a few churns along with way. Place the pieces in the marinade individually as opposed to pouring it on the meat. This prevents the meat from sticking and not allowing full exposure to the marinade. 

When done, the meat will still be somewhat bendable as it will be warm. If it's crispy then you know it's been too long and the dogs will enjoy it more at that point :P. If you break a piece in half and it's a consistent color all the way through then it's good to go. You will want to place the meat in a zip-loc bag with some paper towel to absorb because the drying process will continue for at least a few more hours without heat and more remaining moisture will continue to release. I like to let the meat sit for a few hours in a bag and then vacuum seal in bags and let sit overnight. This is really just a finishing process for the best results that I've found. Of course, you can take out a handful of pieces for immediate consumption but it's worth the wait. . 

Lastly, depending on what you use it for, you may consider different curing methods to create a shelf-life. Smoking in itself is supposed to be a curing method but for extra measure I add some curing salt (look up pink curing salt) to the marinade if I'm making it for people i.e. Christmas gifts, etc. Usually when I make it for my family or work, it's gobble up within a few days. 

This works equally for pork and beef. 

If you try it out let me know how it worked. 

Good luck!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Depending on the thickness of the meat and quantity, I usually like it a little thicker but usually around 8-10 hrs if you just put it straight in the smoker. Usually 1 batch makes enough to fill a gallon zip-loc bag. Keep in mind that it's a process of sucking the moisture out which means low temp with circulation are required. Usually around 180* and open all of the vents to create a convection effect. A trick that I've used to speed up the process is to start on a fairly hot grill (500*). This flash cooks the meat and also adds some caramelization and even some tasty char. In turn, cuts the smoker time almost in half. This is another "trial and error" event. Usually I let the meat dance with the smoke for about 3 hours and then just let the meat cook and dry for the rest.

When marinating, I do at least 48 hours with a few churns along with way. Place the pieces in the marinade individually as opposed to pouring it on the meat. This prevents the meat from sticking and not allowing full exposure to the marinade.

When done, the meat will still be somewhat bendable as it will be warm. If it's crispy then you know it's been too long and the dogs will enjoy it more at that point :P. If you break a piece in half and it's a consistent color all the way through then it's good to go. You will want to place the meat in a zip-loc bag with some paper towel to absorb because the drying process will continue for at least a few more hours without heat and more remaining moisture will continue to release. I like to let the meat sit for a few hours in a bag and then vacuum seal in bags and let sit overnight. This is really just a finishing process for the best results that I've found. Of course, you can take out a handful of pieces for immediate consumption but it's worth the wait. .

Lastly, depending on what you use it for, you may consider different curing methods to create a shelf-life. Smoking in itself is supposed to be a curing method but for extra measure I add some curing salt (look up pink curing salt) to the marinade if I'm making it for people i.e. Christmas gifts, etc. Usually when I make it for my family or work, it's gobble up within a few days.

This works equally for pork and beef.

If you try it out let me know how it worked.

Good luck!

Thank you! I'm definitely going to give this one a go. Sounds like the perfect project for Labor Day weekend. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out.

Smoked and then flash grilled tri-tip. Pretty common West coast cut. When done right it's pretty damn delicious! The sauce on top is just melted blue cheese with a touch of horseradish. Accompanied by a mixed sweet potato, bacon, avocado hash with cojita cheese and chile with lime. inCollage_20180812_190352434.jpeg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Decided I needed some char grilled meat, despite it being mid winter here.

Fired (literally) up the Weber with 2 chimneys of charcoal and cooked up some steak. We call it Porterhouse, but I think it's New York Sirloin in the US. Baked some spuds and pumpkin and served with a mushroom Diane sauce.

Made a homemade steak rub, salt, coffee and cocoa, 2:1:1 ratio.

Went a treat, used the flip method (flip every 30 seconds), rotating the grill to flip onto a cool grill. The charcoal was seriously hot.

IMG_0142.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I tried some jumbo shrimp on the barbie last week.  I wrapped the shrimp in bacon with a marmalade sauce.  Quite tasty, but I had a little trouble with the skewers.  They worked better this week when I soaked the skewers in water.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I really don't want to cook today. I'm a little sore.

I'd happily settle for takeout.  Chinese.  Italian.  Mexican.  You name it.

But I woke up to find that my wife has already put out everything that she wants me to make.

Now, in addition to cooking, I also have to figure out something I can do to piss her off.

Pork loin. McCormick smoky Montreal seasoning (excellent base) + own rub (mocha coffee, coconut sugar, garlic powder, black pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, smoked paprika, chipotle powder), pickle juice (try it!), avacado oil.

Grilled on high heat then slow roasted over a smoker box on the grill veggie rack (one of a few tricks up my sleeve)

#meatisgooooood0819181353.jpeg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 2 weeks later...

Chicken bites stuffed with blue cheese, parmesan chease, herbs, and bacon. Dry seasoned with my own hickory smoke rub.. And that's just a good ol diced avocado with some lime chile and a dab of sour cream. Ketorific! 0901181914a.jpeg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 1 month later...

Pictures to come, but I'm working on a smoked and grilled lunch for the officers at our Michigan State Police post tomorrow (where I'm the chaplain).

Three racks of ribs spent an hour in the smoker, and are now in a sous vide bath at 155° overnight.

The brisket is now in the smoker. Tomorrow morning, I'll cut up the point and make burnt ends to go with the sliced brisket.

I'll mix up the mac and cheese tonight, and tomorrow it'll spend an hour on the grill picking up some smoke flavor.

My wife is making a pot of beans and a couple dozen cornbread muffins.

Hoping everything turns out well!

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

You'd better take pics Pastor!

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

22 hours ago, mpatrickriley said:

Pictures to come, but I'm working on a smoked and grilled lunch for the officers at our Michigan State Police post tomorrow (where I'm the chaplain).

Three racks of ribs spent an hour in the smoker, and are now in a sous vide bath at 155° overnight.

The brisket is now in the smoker. Tomorrow morning, I'll cut up the point and make burnt ends to go with the sliced brisket.

I'll mix up the mac and cheese tonight, and tomorrow it'll spend an hour on the grill picking up some smoke flavor.

My wife is making a pot of beans and a couple dozen cornbread muffins.

Hoping everything turns out well!

Oh man I missed the part about the burnt ends! How delectable are those!?

If you ever just want to make "burnt ends" only, for a party snack or just because you should, you can actually make faux burnt ends with a chuck roast or tri-tip. I've done it many times and it turns out great. I've also done something similar but with a pork roast and Carolina mustard base BBQ sauce. Equally delicious.

https://heygrillhey.com/poor-mans-burnt-ends/

https://www.smoking-meat.com/june-23-2016-smoked-chuck-roast-burnt-ends

Mmmmm... I may just be smoking up some ribs and burnt ends this weekend! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Here are the promised pictures. Nothing fancy on the pictures; was scrambling to get everything done on time.

Here's the ribs, brisket, and burnt ends, along with the macaroni and cheese (on the grill) and my wife's cornbread muffins. Brisket was a touch on the dry side, though still flavorful. Ribs came out really well.IMG_20181012_120430.jpegIMG_20181012_120435.jpegIMG_20181012_105810.jpegIMG_20181012_111214.jpeg

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Well done mate!

In the bag:

Bag: 

• 1 month later...

Figured maybe I'd bring this thread back to life with the holidays approaching. Any of y'all doing any grilling or smoking for Thanksgiving? 

This year we're going pretty non-traditional and I'm doing a couple of tri-tips on the smoker with a reverse sear to finish up. Pics to come. 

Always interested to see what y'all have planned for holiday grub 🙂 

Maybe this can be the official "whatchya grillin for the holidays" thread within a thread. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I'm doing the usual smoked turkey breast to take to the in-laws.

Next month I'm doing a double smoked ham for our office do as I'm now expected to bring it because everyone here says it's the best ham they've tasted.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I'm doing the usual smoked turkey breast to take to the in-laws.

Next month I'm doing a double smoked ham for our office do as I'm now expected to bring it because everyone here says it's the best ham they've tasted.
Being the meat man is a blessing and a curse isn't it? Making people happy = good... People expecting delicious meat for every occasion = not good

I'll see if I can dig up the bacon-wrapped turkey that I smoked a couple years back. It was a thing of beauty.. Felt like I was eating a Rembrandt.. :-P

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I’ll smoke a ham and a turkey for Thanksgiving, they always come out great on my Traeger

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson