Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

are you sure you need a hybrid ?

Topline

For about the past 10 years, depending on the course,  I rotated in and out of the bag either a 20* - 22* hybrid or a 21* 3-iron. For the past 6 months I switched to carrying the 3-iron exclusively, so the hybrid was never within the bag.

From my swing , flat terrain- sea level- no wind, the 3-iron carries 190-195 , medium trajectory, lots of bounce and roll.

I've found my 3-iron shot to be useful for narrow par 4 tee boxes, 2nd shot par 5 lay-ups, and (if there is room to land short and bounce-roll to the middle of the green), 210-220 par 3 tee box shots.

My 5 fairway metal is more versatile than the 3-iron. With the 20*  5 wood, if I open the face a touch, and grip down a bit at address, I can strike high trajectory shots from the fairway to carry 190 to 200, and from the rough the trajectory is a bit lower, with more bounce and roll, depending on the how bad the lie in the rough carry can be in the 180-190 range.From the tee box, good level fairway lie, or sitting up within the rough, my stock 5-wood is high trajectory with carry of about 210-215. So, the modern 5-wood is versatile.

When hybrids were first introduced, about 20 years ago, it was at a time when 3-irons were built with little forgiveness.The modern 3-iron is weighted to promote a higher trajectory, and provide much more overall forgiveness, than the 3-irons of yesteryear.

.My own experience is that while I do like the high trajectory-soft landings I can get from 19*-24* hybrids, I find them a bit less consistently accurate than an irons set's 3 or 4 iron. Also, the relatively lower trajectory of a long iron can often times be a useful shot when playing from tee boxes, par 5 second shot lay ups,  or to open from greens that allow for some bounce and roll.

Some players , for their own reasons, prefer to play hybrids more so than irons, and that's great. I know a guy who often shoots par or lower and the longest iron in his bag is an 8-iron. If he could find an 8-iron loft hybrid he liked he would probably buy it.

But if a player enjoys swinging his irons, he might want to consider giving the 3 and 4 iron that come with his iron set a try, instead of automatically thinking long irons should be replaced with hybrids.

Driver Mizuno JPX-EZ GD Tour AD-DI

Fairways Mizuno JPX-EZ 3 and 5 metals GD Tour AD-DJ

Iron set Mizuno MP 63 3-PW DG S300

Wedges Mizuno MP-T5 52* and 58* DG wedge shaft

Putter Byron Morgan DH89

Funny that you would bring this up. My irons came with no 3 or 4 iron so I just used my 3 and 4 hybrids. Unfortunately I just can't hit the 4 hybrid with any consistency. So I just got the 4 iron that matches my set. First time hitting it on the range was yesterday. But I'm confident I'll have better luck with it than I do with the hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

This is exactly what the pro at your course or a fitter is for.

I'm sure that I have the best chance to play good golf with a hybrid or two and that I would be making the game more difficult if I were to carry a traditional iron over a 6. In fact my 6 and 7 are almost in the Super GI category.

Most tour players carry a hybrid and the longest traditional iron in their bag is a 4 iron. That's not exclusive but it is a majority. It's an overwhelming majority on the LPGA and Champions Tour which is far more relevant for us.

I agree that everyone should carefully consider their equipment. Like everything the more knowledge you have the better informed you will be to make the proper choices for your game.

I like doing that with the help of a pro because I've made too many costly mistakes on my own and/or by following the advice of others.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I currently have up through a 4i. I gamed a hybrid for a while, but I recently got a driving iron. It goes dead straight every time and it is super predictable. So... hybrid is out. Seems like a lot of people are making the switch to DIs now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I currently have up through a 4i. I gamed a hybrid for a while, but I recently got a driving iron. It goes dead straight every time and it is super predictable. So... hybrid is out. Seems like a lot of people are making the switch to DIs now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have no 5w and I replaced my 3 hybrid with an ironwood, which actually works much better for me. If the new 4 iron works out the hybrids will go away.

IMG_10.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Well here I am the odd man out again (older members expect any different from me?). I actually carry and hit long irons as in 3 4 and 5 and sometimes a 2 iron. Now I do carry a 22* hybrid as a rescue club so to speak. I use it some because I can draw mine and control it. For me it is useful out of fairway bunkers and hardpan in the rough (or woods). I can also hit a soft high cut with mine. It also does well for me out of thick rough because I do not have the SS any more to hit a blade 4 iron in that stuff. For me mine is really a versatile utility rescue club. Of course back in the day and I was even carrying and hitting a 1 iron I carried an old Northwestern Laminate 6 wood which was roughly 22*. I do not worry about distance gaps that much I keep a club for what I can do with it. In fact I roughly hit my blade 5 iron further than I do the hybrid off a good fairway lie. Even the bottom end of my bag is out of the norm for mainstream as in like a 48* PW 56* SW and 60* LW

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I currently play a 4-PW set of blades. Two months ago, the 3 iron was replaced with a 21* Adams Super Proto DHY that is soooo easy to hit high and straight. The perfectly struck shots with the DHY likely won't end up inside the leather but the overall dispersion (no total clankers) is way tighter. I can also simply turn the 4 iron down a few degrees when the situation calls for a stinger trajectory. My true hybrid is a 17* Nickent 3DX and from questionable lies where 200+ yards is required, the hybrid is a no brainer. Facing the same scenario with a 3 iron in my hands... not so much. Last Summer I played 9 holes using only my hybrid (putting included) and shot a legit (+4)... point being, in my (scratch) hands, a hybrid is much more versatile than a 3 iron.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I just purchased a new set of irons and went 5-AW. I do game a hybrid 20* and find it so easy to hit. I recently purchased a 5 wood and also find it to help my specific setup. I think there was a thread about a month ago asking if people even still carried a 5W. That intrigued me, and I have used it plenty since adding it to the bag.

Again, I think it depends on the player.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made BRNR mini driver

Callaway Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Callaway Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

I gave up on long irons 15 years ago, pulling out the 3 and 4 irons (Hogan Apex Plus) and replacing them with hybrids. When I got my Mizunos, I stopped at 5 iron, at the recommendation of my fitter.

For the Cobra Connect Challenge, my fitter convinced me to go with the 4 iron instead of a second hybrid. It really is pretty easy to hit, and I love it off the tee. It's a very low flight, however, so I do wonder how it will do on long approach shots.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I have Pw-6I and carry a 5/3 hybrid for that 2d cut plus.

I also use the 3 hybrid to punch out under trees, I can punch & roll.

Last year I had a 2 iron in the bag, but had a hard time finding a use for it.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

There's also plenty of hybrids out there today that are workable. I can hit a knockdown shot with my 21 degree hybrid no problem because it's designed to be more like an iron than a wood.

The great part about equipment today is there is something for everyone

I am trying the opposite. I have gamed a 4 & 5 iron for many years, but with my new set, I am trying the 5 Hybrid and 6-LW....my first couple rounds, the 5 Hybrid has a hook trajectory. But changing to an open setup, the 5 Hybrid straightens out and provides a nice addition to my arsenal. I miss the 4iron, but like the addition of a LW(58*) my short game gets a new weapon.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I love my 3 & 4 hybrids and for years carried a 2 hybrid.  Recently I picked up a Callaway Steelhead 4+ 16 degree fairway wood.   It's the best fairway wood I have ever owned, bar none!   Super easy to elevate off the turf and accurate off the tee.    I gave up long irons years ago as my swing speed says nope, not for me.. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I can successfully hook any hybrid off the face of the planet in nearly any situation, so no, I don't really need a hybrid  :lol:

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Funny, I got rid of my fairway woods for hybrids. I use a 2 and a 3 hybrid 16* and 19* and my 16 is much easier to hit and control. Very long too. To each his own I guess

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I currently play a 4-PW set of blades. Two months ago, the 3 iron was replaced with a 21* Adams Super Proto DHY that is soooo easy to hit high and straight. The perfectly struck shots with the DHY likely won't end up inside the leather but the overall dispersion (no total clankers) is way tighter. I can also simply turn the 4 iron down a few degrees when the situation calls for a stinger trajectory. My true hybrid is a 17* Nickent 3DX and from questionable lies where 200+ yards is required, the hybrid is a no brainer. Facing the same scenario with a 3 iron in my hands... not so much. Last Summer I played 9 holes using only my hybrid (putting included) and shot a legit (+4)... point being, in my (scratch) hands, a hybrid is much more versatile than a 3 iron.

You are sorta in the ball park of how my long irons are set up. I can do the knuckle over thing to hit a stinger hook. But my 3 and 4 irons are a little harder tipped to get the stinger trajectory without adjustment. Thus the 4 hybrid. When I talk about tuning my personal clubs that is what I am talking about. That is why on face value my bag set up seems quirky. Even my wedges are a little quirky. My PW is hard tipped for a little lower trajectory. With that club I can open up some and hit it higher. Really if I want to hit a high floater I will open up the 9 iron which is a little softer tipped and hit a floater. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I can successfully hook any hybrid off the face of the planet in nearly any situation, so no, I don't really need a hybrid  :lol:

Trust me I can build you one or tune you one you will not hook---- Yeah a stock off the shelf hybrid I can hook off the planet. Took me a while of experimenting to get one where I can hit it without hooking

G

Below is my dusty collection of hybrids. So yeah... I've tried them off and on through the years but with only limited success. The only one I can say I had success with is the old TM Rescue 3 19*. The only real use it had for me was at my home course playing off the tee on a par 5 with sharp dogleg left. This club  was a dependable hooker or perhaps a hard draw. 

The clubs in the picture are from left to right:

TM - Rescue 3 19*

Nickent - 4 23* 3DX IW

Cobra -  4H  22* Baffler Rail H

Wishon - 3 21* 775 HS

20180610_081420.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... Hybrids are a like a ball sitting just off the green in the fairway. If it is at all possible to putt the ball, you should use a putter. More advanced players will want to chip as it can be more accurate if you have the skill to pull off the shot. But for most, a putter is the best option. Same thing with a hybrid. They are more forgiving, launch higher are more versatile from a myriad of lies and by and large longer than comparable irons. 

... Like Stu, I have a 21.5* hybrid I rotate in and out of my bag (in more often than out) because of it's versatility. But I will use my 19* P790 3 iron with a hybrid shaft much more often off the tee and from the fairway. I am just more accurate with a P790 long iron than a hybrid. But when my ball is sitting down in the light rough a hybrid is by far my best option and I use it occasionally around the green for chipping. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Hybrids are a like a ball sitting just off the green in the fairway. If it is at all possible to putt the ball, you should use a putter. More advanced players will want to chip as it can be more accurate if you have the skill to pull off the shot. But for most, a putter is the best option. Same thing with a hybrid. They are more forgiving, launch higher are more versatile from a myriad of lies and by and large longer than comparable irons. 

... Like Stu, I have a 21.5* hybrid I rotate in and out of my bag (in more often than out) because of it's versatility. But I will use my 19* P790 3 iron with a hybrid shaft much more often off the tee and from the fairway. I am just more accurate with a P790 long iron than a hybrid. But when my ball is sitting down in the light rough a hybrid is by far my best option and I use it occasionally around the green for chipping. 

Now that P790 3 iron with a Hybrid shaft sounds interesting. Like you I use a lofted down 3 iron off a tee on a tight hole or on certain courses carry one of my many 2 irons. I have tried the hybrid chipping thing on and off and the face seems too hot for me. I tend to do my bump and runs with a 7 iron or in some situations a belly 56* wedge. But anytime I can get that putter in my hand I am going to do it.

G

callaway divine nine 24*

That is also a great option. I have an older one I picked up off of one of the scrap piles at work with a ladie's shaft. I have not gotten around to selecting a shaft and reshafting it. I also have a old TM V-Steel 9 wood (24*) that i carried for a while. The only issue I see is that they are not as versatile from all lies as some hybrids are 

G

Below is my dusty collection of hybrids. So yeah... I've tried them off and on through the years but with only limited success. The only one I can say I had success with is the old TM Rescue 3 19*. The only real use it had for me was at my home course playing off the tee on a par 5 with sharp dogleg left. This club  was a dependable hooker or perhaps a hard draw. 

The clubs in the picture are from left to right:

TM - Rescue 3 19*

Nickent - 4 23* 3DX IW

Cobra -  4H  22* Baffler Rail H

Wishon - 3 21* 775 HS

attachicon.gif20180610_081420.jpg

I have several of those old TM Rescue hybrids in 19 and 24 'Rescued" off the scrap piles at work

That Cobra looks good does not have a lot of offset

That Wishon is a nice club but is hook city for me trust me. I messed with them a lot when my friend was a Wishon dealer. You can not put enough lead tape in the toe to prevent me from hooking that off the planet

G

Now that P790 3 iron with a Hybrid shaft sounds interesting. Like you I use a lofted down 3 iron off a tee on a tight hole or on certain courses carry one of my many 2 irons. I have tried the hybrid chipping thing on and off and the face seems too hot for me. I tend to do my bump and runs with a 7 iron or in some situations a belly 56* wedge. But anytime I can get that putter in my hand I am going to do it.

... Due to the crazy lofts on current clubs, especially distance irons, my P790 3 iron really is a 2 iron at 19*. And the P790 UDi 2 iron selling like crazy really is a 1 iron at 17*. And it isn't very often I use a hybrid off the green, usually for a downhill shot I need to just get on the green thru the uneven terrain or when the pin is just on the green and I need to get it over iffy fairway grass as it tends to skip initially then roll. 

... Due to the crazy lofts on current clubs, especially distance irons, my P790 3 iron really is a 2 iron at 19*. And the P790 UDi 2 iron selling like crazy really is a 1 iron at 17*. And it isn't very often I use a hybrid off the green, usually for a downhill shot I need to just get on the green thru the uneven terrain or when the pin is just on the green and I need to get it over iffy fairway grass as it tends to skip initially then roll. 

Most of my blade 3 irons I have bent to 19* Most of my 2 irons are bent to 17*. Those VIPs in my signature the 3 iron is at 20* but then again I know how to deloft

G

I use my Cobra Baffler 21 degree hybrid a lot. A course I play a lot I use it off the tee on 4 or 5 different holes. Back when I had a 3 iron I definitely trusted the hybrid more then my 3. I just recently bought a new iron set and it's only 4 iron through PW. Trying to decide how to finish off the longer clubs in my bag. Currently have a 15 degree Titleist 3 wood from about 10 years ago or more and then the Cobra hybrid which is also about 10 years old or more.

The 2 iron or driving iron just looks so awesome when you see a better player hit one but at my current handicap level (13.9) I'm not sure it's for me. Will probably get another 3 or 5 wood and then another hybrid. I really need to fix my wedge setup. My PW is a 46 and then next wedge is a 54 then 60. Just too big of gap between 54 and 46. Between 100 yds and 130 is tough.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2
3 Wood: Titleist 904 F
Hybrid: 21 deg Cobra Baffler
4i-PW: Titleist 718 AP2
Wedges: Cleveland CG10 in 54 and 60 deg
Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

You would've luved one of these while we were still making them.

I will keep that in mind when looking through the scrap bins and piles at work you never know what will turn up.

G

Am I sure I need a hybrid? Absolutely. And you probably do too. Since most of the Tour Pros have them and even Tiger has one, then you probably should also.

Now wait a minute. Tiger does have one. Although this goes to the definition of what is a hybrid.

There were originally two types of hybrids. One base on a fairway wood (metal) and one based on an iron. One of the fist iron based hybrids that I used was the Mizuno MP-FLI Hi, maybe 12 years ago. This club is still in my bag although it has had many shafts in it. There are plenty of other club makers who have these also, Ping calls theirs Crossovers and TM calls theirs UDI. But it's the same principle. A higher speed steel face and a hollow body that creates more ball speed.

This technology started out in the long irons, but many have the complete set based on that now. The MP H4 and MP H5 are the ones I'm the most familiar with, but that's because I am obviously a Mizuno fan.

I also have SLDR 3H and 4H, but like many of you I have to guard against the pull more with these. Yes, because they are longer shafts and a "wood" like design the go farther, but, honestly, I am a bit afraid of them and am leaning more towards going back to the FLI HI's.

I have both in the bag to take to the range tomorrow and will probably have at least the 4 in the bag this weekend if not both the 3 and the 4.

I sometimes carry the MP FLI HI 2 but currently don't have plans to do so right now. I have to either replace a wedge or the 3 wood.

I also have the 3 and 4 irons from the set and there is no comparison between a true 3 iron and an iron hybrid, FLI HI, Crossover, UDI or what ever you want to call it.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

... I was thinking about this yesterday when I had a ball just off the green and rolled it to a tap in, but I realized I do not chip with a hybrid, I putt with one. I have never chipped using a hybrid, i just choke up and take a normal putting stroke and obviously use my putter grip. The advantage is if the area you are putting over is a little spotty, the hybrid will initially elevate the ball over most of the irregular surface and then start rolling on the green. I know some do chip with a hybrid, I just never have. 

Archived