Topline

are you sure you need a hybrid ?

Our Sponsors

For about the past 10 years, depending on the course,  I rotated in and out of the bag either a 20* - 22* hybrid or a 21* 3-iron. For the past 6 months I switched to carrying the 3-iron exclusively, so the hybrid was never within the bag.

From my swing , flat terrain- sea level- no wind, the 3-iron carries 190-195 , medium trajectory, lots of bounce and roll.

I've found my 3-iron shot to be useful for narrow par 4 tee boxes, 2nd shot par 5 lay-ups, and (if there is room to land short and bounce-roll to the middle of the green), 210-220 par 3 tee box shots.

My 5 fairway metal is more versatile than the 3-iron. With the 20*  5 wood, if I open the face a touch, and grip down a bit at address, I can strike high trajectory shots from the fairway to carry 190 to 200, and from the rough the trajectory is a bit lower, with more bounce and roll, depending on the how bad the lie in the rough carry can be in the 180-190 range.From the tee box, good level fairway lie, or sitting up within the rough, my stock 5-wood is high trajectory with carry of about 210-215. So, the modern 5-wood is versatile.

When hybrids were first introduced, about 20 years ago, it was at a time when 3-irons were built with little forgiveness.The modern 3-iron is weighted to promote a higher trajectory, and provide much more overall forgiveness, than the 3-irons of yesteryear.

.My own experience is that while I do like the high trajectory-soft landings I can get from 19*-24* hybrids, I find them a bit less consistently accurate than an irons set's 3 or 4 iron. Also, the relatively lower trajectory of a long iron can often times be a useful shot when playing from tee boxes, par 5 second shot lay ups,  or to open from greens that allow for some bounce and roll.

Some players , for their own reasons, prefer to play hybrids more so than irons, and that's great. I know a guy who often shoots par or lower and the longest iron in his bag is an 8-iron. If he could find an 8-iron loft hybrid he liked he would probably buy it.

But if a player enjoys swinging his irons, he might want to consider giving the 3 and 4 iron that come with his iron set a try, instead of automatically thinking long irons should be replaced with hybrids.

• Like 1

Driver Mizuno JPX-EZ GD Tour AD-DI

Fairways Mizuno JPX-EZ 3 and 5 metals GD Tour AD-DJ

Iron set Mizuno MP 63 3-PW DG S300

Wedges Mizuno MP-T5 52* and 58* DG wedge shaft

Putter Byron Morgan DH89

Funny that you would bring this up. My irons came with no 3 or 4 iron so I just used my 3 and 4 hybrids. Unfortunately I just can't hit the 4 hybrid with any consistency. So I just got the 4 iron that matches my set. First time hitting it on the range was yesterday. But I'm confident I'll have better luck with it than I do with the hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
:tour-edge: Bazooka Platinum 23° Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shaft
:tour-edge: HL4 5-6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

This is exactly what the pro at your course or a fitter is for.

I'm sure that I have the best chance to play good golf with a hybrid or two and that I would be making the game more difficult if I were to carry a traditional iron over a 6. In fact my 6 and 7 are almost in the Super GI category.

Most tour players carry a hybrid and the longest traditional iron in their bag is a 4 iron. That's not exclusive but it is a majority. It's an overwhelming majority on the LPGA and Champions Tour which is far more relevant for us.

I agree that everyone should carefully consider their equipment. Like everything the more knowledge you have the better informed you will be to make the proper choices for your game.

I like doing that with the help of a pro because I've made too many costly mistakes on my own and/or by following the advice of others.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I currently have up through a 4i. I gamed a hybrid for a while, but I recently got a driving iron. It goes dead straight every time and it is super predictable. So... hybrid is out. Seems like a lot of people are making the switch to DIs now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Play what works for you, makes you happy, and helps you enjoy the game the most.

• Like 9

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

I currently have up through a 4i. I gamed a hybrid for a while, but I recently got a driving iron. It goes dead straight every time and it is super predictable. So... hybrid is out. Seems like a lot of people are making the switch to DIs now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have no 5w and I replaced my 3 hybrid with an ironwood, which actually works much better for me. If the new 4 iron works out the hybrids will go away.

IMG_10.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
:tour-edge: Bazooka Platinum 23° Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shaft
:tour-edge: HL4 5-6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

Well here I am the odd man out again (older members expect any different from me?). I actually carry and hit long irons as in 3 4 and 5 and sometimes a 2 iron. Now I do carry a 22* hybrid as a rescue club so to speak. I use it some because I can draw mine and control it. For me it is useful out of fairway bunkers and hardpan in the rough (or woods). I can also hit a soft high cut with mine. It also does well for me out of thick rough because I do not have the SS any more to hit a blade 4 iron in that stuff. For me mine is really a versatile utility rescue club. Of course back in the day and I was even carrying and hitting a 1 iron I carried an old Northwestern Laminate 6 wood which was roughly 22*. I do not worry about distance gaps that much I keep a club for what I can do with it. In fact I roughly hit my blade 5 iron further than I do the hybrid off a good fairway lie. Even the bottom end of my bag is out of the norm for mainstream as in like a 48* PW 56* SW and 60* LW

• Like 5

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I currently play a 4-PW set of blades. Two months ago, the 3 iron was replaced with a 21* Adams Super Proto DHY that is soooo easy to hit high and straight. The perfectly struck shots with the DHY likely won't end up inside the leather but the overall dispersion (no total clankers) is way tighter. I can also simply turn the 4 iron down a few degrees when the situation calls for a stinger trajectory. My true hybrid is a 17* Nickent 3DX and from questionable lies where 200+ yards is required, the hybrid is a no brainer. Facing the same scenario with a 3 iron in my hands... not so much. Last Summer I played 9 holes using only my hybrid (putting included) and shot a legit (+4)... point being, in my (scratch) hands, a hybrid is much more versatile than a 3 iron.

• Like 3

:ping-small:___________G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:adams-small:_Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 S
:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 6.5
:cleveland-small:_________RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
Bettinardi.png.e7ca0ee7ba785611a4a144e16b6b93ab.png___SS38 Armlock
k_sig.jpg.00b599e7e823c61015277de38ca16982.jpg___'18 4-piece
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I just purchased a new set of irons and went 5-AW. I do game a hybrid 20* and find it so easy to hit. I recently purchased a 5 wood and also find it to help my specific setup. I think there was a thread about a month ago asking if people even still carried a 5W. That intrigued me, and I have used it plenty since adding it to the bag.

Again, I think it depends on the player.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F8 Driver - Project X Even Flow Blue

:callaway-small:  Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

:callaway-small:  Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

:titelist-small:  818 H1 21* hybrid- Project X Even Flow Blue

:taylormade-small: M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

:cleveland-small: RTX3-CB 55*

:ping-small:  Sigma G B-60

:taylormade-small: TP5X balls

:travis-mathew-1:

I gave up on long irons 15 years ago, pulling out the 3 and 4 irons (Hogan Apex Plus) and replacing them with hybrids. When I got my Mizunos, I stopped at 5 iron, at the recommendation of my fitter.

For the Cobra Connect Challenge, my fitter convinced me to go with the 4 iron instead of a second hybrid. It really is pretty easy to hit, and I love it off the tee. It's a very low flight, however, so I do wonder how it will do on long approach shots.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I have Pw-6I and carry a 5/3 hybrid for that 2d cut plus.

I also use the 3 hybrid to punch out under trees, I can punch & roll.

Last year I had a 2 iron in the bag, but had a hard time finding a use for it.

:cobra-small: Driver F9                     

:cobra-small: 5 wood 18 TS2 

:mizuno-small:  Irons 4i / 9i MP-20 HMB   
:mizuno-small: wedge T20 46* 50*                                                           

:callaway-small: Wedges MD5 Jaws  58/x

:mizuno-small: Putter M-Craft II black

:taylormade-small: Tour Response 

There's also plenty of hybrids out there today that are workable. I can hit a knockdown shot with my 21 degree hybrid no problem because it's designed to be more like an iron than a wood.

The great part about equipment today is there is something for everyone

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

I am trying the opposite. I have gamed a 4 & 5 iron for many years, but with my new set, I am trying the 5 Hybrid and 6-LW....my first couple rounds, the 5 Hybrid has a hook trajectory. But changing to an open setup, the 5 Hybrid straightens out and provides a nice addition to my arsenal. I miss the 4iron, but like the addition of a LW(58*) my short game gets a new weapon.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

callaway divine nine 24*

• Like 1

I love my 3 & 4 hybrids and for years carried a 2 hybrid.  Recently I picked up a Callaway Steelhead 4+ 16 degree fairway wood.   It's the best fairway wood I have ever owned, bar none!   Super easy to elevate off the turf and accurate off the tee.    I gave up long irons years ago as my swing speed says nope, not for me.. 

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

I can successfully hook any hybrid off the face of the planet in nearly any situation, so no, I don't really need a hybrid  :lol:

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Funny, I got rid of my fairway woods for hybrids. I use a 2 and a 3 hybrid 16* and 19* and my 16 is much easier to hit and control. Very long too. To each his own I guess

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

I currently play a 4-PW set of blades. Two months ago, the 3 iron was replaced with a 21* Adams Super Proto DHY that is soooo easy to hit high and straight. The perfectly struck shots with the DHY likely won't end up inside the leather but the overall dispersion (no total clankers) is way tighter. I can also simply turn the 4 iron down a few degrees when the situation calls for a stinger trajectory. My true hybrid is a 17* Nickent 3DX and from questionable lies where 200+ yards is required, the hybrid is a no brainer. Facing the same scenario with a 3 iron in my hands... not so much. Last Summer I played 9 holes using only my hybrid (putting included) and shot a legit (+4)... point being, in my (scratch) hands, a hybrid is much more versatile than a 3 iron.

You are sorta in the ball park of how my long irons are set up. I can do the knuckle over thing to hit a stinger hook. But my 3 and 4 irons are a little harder tipped to get the stinger trajectory without adjustment. Thus the 4 hybrid. When I talk about tuning my personal clubs that is what I am talking about. That is why on face value my bag set up seems quirky. Even my wedges are a little quirky. My PW is hard tipped for a little lower trajectory. With that club I can open up some and hit it higher. Really if I want to hit a high floater I will open up the 9 iron which is a little softer tipped and hit a floater. 

• Like 2

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

I can successfully hook any hybrid off the face of the planet in nearly any situation, so no, I don't really need a hybrid  :lol:

Trust me I can build you one or tune you one you will not hook---- Yeah a stock off the shelf hybrid I can hook off the planet. Took me a while of experimenting to get one where I can hit it without hooking

• Like 1

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

Below is my dusty collection of hybrids. So yeah... I've tried them off and on through the years but with only limited success. The only one I can say I had success with is the old TM Rescue 3 19*. The only real use it had for me was at my home course playing off the tee on a par 5 with sharp dogleg left. This club  was a dependable hooker or perhaps a hard draw. 

The clubs in the picture are from left to right:

TM - Rescue 3 19*

Nickent - 4 23* 3DX IW

Cobra -  4H  22* Baffler Rail H

Wishon - 3 21* 775 HS

20180610_081420.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour