Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

what wedges spin better, cast or forged

Do cast wedges spin better than forged wedges?

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Jlukes and Shankster nailed it. As far as cast versus forged it is all about the feel. Older guys like me that learned the game in the forged era learned the feel of forged. Not knocking anyone at all but some folks can not tell the difference between cast of forged though

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Vokeys are cast. They spin just fine.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If you want to trust Rick Shiels, and my memory. I believe he found the Mac daddy forged and the ping glide 2.0 to be the highest spinning wedges. But, that was for him.

I know last year when I went wedge shopping, I got the most spin out of the Mac daddy forged.

That said, I believe something like 80% of approach shots are left short... So do you really need "the most spin"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I think I might have miss hit the OP's question.

I'll absolutely agree with everyone that contact and swing can/will determine backspin. I also think that some wedges spin more than others.

With that, I can tell you that Mac daddy forged wedges get 600rpm more back spin for me than the cast version of the MD4, 800rpm more than SM7s, and about 800rpm more than RTX3's.

So for me, a forged wedge proved to have more spin.

I didn't test any other wedges, I used bridgestone e6's and trackman. 56 degree wedges hitting to 90 yards. They ranged from 9800-10600rpm. All of them were accurate and easily had enough backspin to stop a ball, I thought the MD Forged felt the best, so I went with them.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Vokeys are cast. They spin just fine.

Correct on both but the older 252 and 254 series (non conforming) are forged along with some of the Oil can ones. I am as big of a fan of the old 252/254 series as I am on 588s

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I believe spin with wedges  is created by making quality ball contact.

Some players think wedge grooves (or maybe wedge material as well) heavily influence the amount of spin. I believe that if a player makes good- square-quality ball contact, the resulting shot from a wedge will spin just fine (regardless of groove type, club age, or condition).

My own experience is that the grooves of a brand new never played wedge will produce extra spin for about 15-20 strikes of the golf ball. After that I don't notice spin difference between a wedge with 30 swings and one that has struck thousands of golf balls.

Some Tour guys put new wedges in their bag every week or two. Tom Kite once played a 10 year stretch  on Tour with the same set of wedges.So, I think this topic is more of a personal preference answer than it is a matter of fact one.

Regarding cast or forged, I can't imagine why one manufacturing process would yield more spin than the other.

On face value IMHO grooves are not all they are cracked up to be. had a friend of mine that played the same 588s for 20 years. His 60 was so worn out the face was concave. you could still spin it though. No zippers so to speak but it would still spin. A lot of it is technique. Not tooting my own horn but with my cut swing I can stop some of my antique dot faced wedges and with one of them can still hit a zipper with a balata ball from 60 yards

G

I think I might have miss hit the OP's question.

I'll absolutely agree with everyone that contact and swing can/will determine backspin. I also think that some wedges spin more than others.

With that, I can tell you that Mac daddy forged wedges get 600rpm more back spin for me than the cast version of the MD4, 800rpm more than SM7s, and about 800rpm more than RTX3's.

So for me, a forged wedge proved to have more spin.

I didn't test any other wedges, I used bridgestone e6's and trackman. 56 degree wedges hitting to 90 yards. They ranged from 9800-10600rpm. All of them were accurate and easily had enough backspin to stop a ball, I thought the MD Forged felt the best, so I went with them.

For me it is all about feel. I do know I have a couple of Mack Daddy cast wedges (trade deal) and those things feel like crap to me. Have never hit a Mack Daddy forged

G

Welcome to MGS!

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Good ball contact and clean grooves will help create the spin.

Welcome to MGS from the great PNW!

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Clean groves, hitting down into the ball before making ground contact, and playing a urethane ball produces the most spin.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

Archived