TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ever been less than elated after a personal best?

cksurfdude

​
Ever have a personal best round but were less than elated after?

Yeah, sounds strange but.....

There's an 18-hole Par 3 at one of the ocean beaches on the south shore of Long Island. Holes range from 60 to 110 yards - so it's great wedge practice - and arranged in two loops.

Here's what it looks like in Google Earth...

The loops wind thru dunes and scrub pines and each hole is a little different, plus most days - including the one I played - there's a decent breeze coming in off the ocean; the effect being that on each hole the wind is coming from a different direction. And with a few small elevation changes along the way the wind can be very different at the green vs at the tee.

Well... I pretty much hit almost every green except for two or three I came up a few feet short - going upwind - and two or three where I hit the green but then rolled off the back - going downwind. 

So crosswind either way I seemed to handle ok this time. And didn't lose a single ball, vs all previous times I've been there (you do NOT go digging in the underbrush .. it's all poison ivy and deer ticks!).

There's also one hole (the 110-yarder, #13) that's really a Par 4 with a 90 degree dogleg right after maybe 80ish yards .. but once when playing with an older gentleman he showed me the shortcut .. totally blind over the trees and underbrush .. using the double-top of one particular tree as your aim line.

On this hole the wind was about 3/4 at you / from right-to-left. Decided to (literally) give it a shot. Played two balls (no one else around anywhere) - first one I launched into the shortcut and kinda looked like it took the right line, but maybe the wind was pushing it back; second one I knocked down right into the corner where I was aiming. 

Walked up there to see...
RM_panorama.jpg

* this is a 90-degree "panorama" shot so hopefully it displays OK here?

The first shot, the blind one, is sitting on the left edge of the green within a makeable putt distance -- which, yup, I missed ;-) -- and the second is at my feet at the bottom center of the pic; the right side of the pic is looking back towards the tee. 

So, yeah, I was happy that I hit 2 of 2 shots well; finished the hole and continued on through the second loop hitting or very nearly hitting each green.

Got to #18 which is the second longest at 100 yards and usually one of the most exposed to the wind; today it was 3/4 at you / from left-to-right. Tee shot started straight but then got pushed right at the end - hit the right side of the green but rolled off. Dropped a second and tried to hit it a little stronger and a little more left, but overdid it just a touch and ended up just off the left edge of the green.

So 2 for 2 acceptable outcomes given the wind (plus that I've lost balls on that hole before, too, and have scored up to a 7 on it).

But.... I walked off the course _not_ jumping up and down happy....

Don't know but it kinda felt a bit like a "childhood lost" moment ... ie. previously where I've really had to play the course and kinda struggled on several of the holes ... that day I just kinda stepped in and took my swing and watched the ball the go in the right direction...

So, anyway, this seemed more of a "story" than fit in to "How'd You Play Today?" and just felt like sharing :-) 

Oh, PS:
I just really enjoy going down there; the barrier islands and the ocean beaches are truly unique places. If you want to explore "driving" over the inner bay bridge and then the causeway to get out onto the outer island, here's a Google Earth Street View link... 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I'm Never satisfied because I always think about the strokes lost during a round. It's a horrible sickness

Same here. After my best round I'd be thinking about the bad shots that could have made the round even better.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My lowest score at my home course is a one over par 74, but I was very deflated walking off the eighteenth as I went bogey bogey to finish 😬

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Great topic. I had been holding onto this story waiting for the right time to tell it....and the moment is now.

On April 12, I broke 80 for the first time by shooting 78. I hit 3 balls into the hazard on the front then played nearly perfect golf for the back in 20-30mph gusts (not an exaggeration). 5 birdies total in the round which was also a personal best.

So why feel bad about it? I'll tell you why. I could've EASILY been 2 strokes better and broken par for 9 my first time ever.

Knowing that magic moment of breaking 80 was attainable, I busted my butt to make par on 16 and 17 dead into the wind. Standing on 18 tee, I knew birdie would've been my first time breaking par for 9. 18 is 545y par 5 that comes back to finish at the clubhouse. I've never reached in two. I blasted my drive, I mean BLASTED 320 yards and had a potential birdie/eagle in my sights with only 225 left to the pin. R to L wind, I pulled 4 iron hoping to ride a draw through the mouth of the green up to the pin.

No draw. Matter of fact, push. An atomic DJ push that landed pin high, right of the green, and rolled to within inches of the cart path bordering the club house. Now, gotta carry the bunker at an awkward angle then make the putt for the birdie 35.

Chunk.

Ok no problem, same shot up and down for par 36.

Chunk into bunker. 🤬🤬

UGH! Just get the damn ball on the green so I can two putt for 79.

Up and on. Decent shot really. 10ft uphill left. Still know I only need a two putt so I focus on speed and drain the first putt for a bogey 37 and 78 overall.

I walked off that green feeling cruddy because of how poorly I played the hole. More than anything, I was lamenting the decision to play 4 iron. More than that, the thought of trying a draw in that spot when I don't really have that in my bag.

But now I feel like a crazy person because that's the best round of my life. I should enjoy it no matter how it came. We're a crazy bunch.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Looks like a beautiful place and a peaceful walk.... the golf is definitely secondary.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Looks like a beautiful place and a peaceful walk.... the golf is definitely secondary.

Yeah, thx, it is ... and it was particularly quiet - ie. very few people - that day, too. Guess maybe I was more into just being out there and enjoying it!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

​

I just had the opposite. While it was not my personal worst round, I had a pretty bad round today and am elated.

I was playing injured, but saw somethings that I hope to take into my full swings once I have fully recovered. And having spent the past 2 weeks sitting at home it was nice to be outside all weekend.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Great topic. I had been holding onto this story waiting for the right time to tell it....and the moment is now.

On April 12, I broke 80 for the first time by shooting 78. I hit 3 balls into the hazard on the front then played nearly perfect golf for the back in 20-30mph gusts (not an exaggeration). 5 birdies total in the round which was also a personal best.

So why feel bad about it? I'll tell you why. I could've EASILY been 2 strokes better and broken par for 9 my first time ever.

Knowing that magic moment of breaking 80 was attainable, I busted my butt to make par on 16 and 17 dead into the wind. Standing on 18 tee, I knew birdie would've been my first time breaking par for 9. 18 is 545y par 5 that comes back to finish at the clubhouse. I've never reached in two. I blasted my drive, I mean BLASTED 320 yards and had a potential birdie/eagle in my sights with only 225 left to the pin. R to L wind, I pulled 4 iron hoping to ride a draw through the mouth of the green up to the pin.

No draw. Matter of fact, push. An atomic DJ push that landed pin high, right of the green, and rolled to within inches of the cart path bordering the club house. Now, gotta carry the bunker at an awkward angle then make the putt for the birdie 35.

Chunk.

Ok no problem, same shot up and down for par 36.

Chunk into bunker. 🤬🤬

UGH! Just get the damn ball on the green so I can two putt for 79.

Up and on. Decent shot really. 10ft uphill left. Still know I only need a two putt so I focus on speed and drain the first putt for a bogey 37 and 78 overall.

I walked off that green feeling cruddy because of how poorly I played the hole. More than anything, I was lamenting the decision to play 4 iron. More than that, the thought of trying a draw in that spot when I don't really have that in my bag.

But now I feel like a crazy person because that's the best round of my life. I should enjoy it no matter how it came. We're a crazy bunch.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Great story, STUD! Sounds like you played really, really well most of the round (so should be happy with that), but totally understand the unhappy ending....

What's that old Kenny Rogers song...

"You never count your money,

.. While you're sitting at the table..."

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

My lowest score at my home course is a one over par 74, but I was very deflated walking off the eighteenth as I went bogey bogey to finish

Ouch.... :(

Gotta finish strong!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Yes. I shot 80 for the 2nd time in two weeks. Most guys would be very happy with that. Me... not so much. I want a 7 in front of my score. Anything less... I feel I've left too much out there.

Wow.. You're tough on yourself!

And I'm one of those guys who'd definitely be happy with an 80!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Thanks for the Google Earth links, I enjoyed viewing them :)

Yeah it's an amazing piece of software; even though I (..think i..) understand the basics of how it works I'm still "wow'ed" every time i look at it!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I'm Never satisfied because I always think about the strokes lost during a round. It's a horrible sickness

Same here. After my best round I'd be thinking about the bad shots that could have made the round even better.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

It's very hard not to. But all the online guru mental game coaches say to hold on to the GOOD shots -- use the positive memory to reinforce / ingrain the good swing.

(or so I've read and heard.........)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

​

There's an 18-hole Par 3 at one of the ocean beaches on the south shore of Long Island. Holes range from 60 to 110 yards - so it's great wedge practice - and arranged in two loops.

Here's what it looks like in Google Earth...

The loops wind thru dunes and scrub pines and each hole is a little different, plus most days - including the one I played - there's a decent breeze coming in off the ocean; the effect being that on each hole the wind is coming from a different direction. And with a few small elevation changes along the way the wind can be very different at the green vs at the tee.

Well... I pretty much hit almost every green except for two or three I came up a few feet short - going upwind - and two or three where I hit the green but then rolled off the back - going downwind. 

So crosswind either way I seemed to handle ok this time. And didn't lose a single ball, vs all previous times I've been there (you do NOT go digging in the underbrush .. it's all poison ivy and deer ticks!).

There's also one hole (the 110-yarder, #13) that's really a Par 4 with a 90 degree dogleg right after maybe 80ish yards .. but once when playing with an older gentleman he showed me the shortcut .. totally blind over the trees and underbrush .. using the double-top of one particular tree as your aim line.

On this hole the wind was about 3/4 at you / from right-to-left. Decided to (literally) give it a shot. Played two balls (no one else around anywhere) - first one I launched into the shortcut and kinda looked like it took the right line, but maybe the wind was pushing it back; second one I knocked down right into the corner where I was aiming. 

Walked up there to see...

* this is a 90-degree "panorama" shot so hopefully it displays OK here?

The first shot, the blind one, is sitting on the left edge of the green within a makeable putt distance -- which, yup, I missed ;-) -- and the second is at my feet at the bottom center of the pic; the right side of the pic is looking back towards the tee. 

So, yeah, I was happy that I hit 2 of 2 shots well; finished the hole and continued on through the second loop hitting or very nearly hitting each green.

Got to #18 which is the second longest at 100 yards and usually one of the most exposed to the wind; today it was 3/4 at you / from left-to-right. Tee shot started straight but then got pushed right at the end - hit the right side of the green but rolled off. Dropped a second and tried to hit it a little stronger and a little more left, but overdid it just a touch and ended up just off the left edge of the green.

So 2 for 2 acceptable outcomes given the wind (plus that I've lost balls on that hole before, too, and have scored up to a 7 on it).

But.... I walked off the course _not_ jumping up and down happy....

Don't know but it kinda felt a bit like a "childhood lost" moment ... ie. previously where I've really had to play the course and kinda struggled on several of the holes ... that day I just kinda stepped in and took my swing and watched the ball the go in the right direction...

So, anyway, this seemed more of a "story" than fit in to "How'd You Play Today?" and just felt like sharing :-) 

Oh, PS:
I just really enjoy going down there; the barrier islands and the ocean beaches are truly unique places. If you want to explore "driving" over the inner bay bridge and then the causeway to get out onto the outer island, here's a Google Earth Street View link... 

Sounds like those lessons are really paying off!!  Way to go.  You da man!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sounds like those lessons are really paying off!!  Way to go.  You da man!!

Yes, they really are! Thx!! It's a combo of the lessons plus a golf fitness program and a LOTTA hours of wedge and short game practice :-)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I just had the opposite. While it was not my personal worst round, I had a pretty bad round today and am elated.

I was playing injured, but saw somethings that I hope to take into my full swings once I have fully recovered. And having spent the past 2 weeks sitting at home it was nice to be outside all weekend.

Wow, sounds good! Best wishes for continued good recovery and hope you can continue to bring those positive things into your game - here's to a great golfing season! 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

This is a great thread at reminding us as golfers that we always want more. Heck the pros when they win talk about leaving shots out there.

I think that is the nature of this stupid game. This year has been my most consistent of the last 3 and I still feel that I should be doing better. I can't be happy with just finally being consistent.

(And now having said this I will probably go the other direction)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

My PB is a 62 that included a (29) on the inward half.

After the round, instead of gleefully basking in the congratulatory notice of my playing partners, I lamented the missed short (~6 foot) birdie putts on the first 4 holes.

This game can be a maddening mistress.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Now, I guess that I was more elated with my second through fifth personal best rounds than my first. Although that one probably jump started the others, proving to myself I could score well.

In April of 2014, I was going through a town I used to live in and had played that course (short 9 hole course) many times 10 years previously. My game had improved and thought it would be fun to play a quick 9 holes. The holes that day seemed to be in the easiest locations. And I shot my best round ever on the front. So good I decided to play 18 and see if I could keep it up.

Previously, I would have say 7 great holes and then blow 2 holes per 9 to "ruin" my score. This was the first time I play 18 holes in a row without a major error. And may be my only bogey free round.

My only problem was that it was too easy that day, and I was buy myself. So I went to play my course the next day, with some friends, and played scored just one stroke worse. This I was elated about.

I actually played the 5 best rounds of my life that week. And honestly, I have never been happy with back to back rounds since then. Other than simply happy to be there.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Now, I guess that I was more elated with my second through fifth personal best rounds than my first. Although that one probably jump started the others, proving to myself I could score well.

In April of 2014, I was going through a town I used to live in and had played that course (short 9 hole course) many times 10 years previously. My game had improved and thought it would be fun to play a quick 9 holes. The holes that day seemed to be in the easiest locations. And I shot my best round ever on the front. So good I decided to play 18 and see if I could keep it up.

Previously, I would have say 7 great holes and then blow 2 holes per 9 to "ruin" my score. This was the first time I play 18 holes in a row without a major error. And may be my only bogey free round.

My only problem was that it was too easy that day, and I was buy myself. So I went to play my course the next day, with some friends, and played scored just one stroke worse. This I was elated about.

I actually played the 5 best rounds of my life that week. And honestly, I have never been happy with back to back rounds since then. Other than simply happy to be there.

Was just thinking the exact same thing yesterday - there's a 9-hole muni in the town I used to live in that would totally give me fits.... Plenty of trees crowding in, a few bunkers, a blind shot, an elevated green or two .. not overly tough, and longest hole 300 but for me at that point in my game it was a CHALLENGE! So was thinking of going back of testing myself against it now...

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

My PB is a 62 that included a (29) on the inward half.

After the round, instead of gleefully basking in the congratulatory notice of my playing partners, I lamented the missed short (

Ha, you just made me think: do I actually spend more time in total - playing golf, practicing at the range or in my garage, thinking about playing or practicing, futzing with clubs, etc. ... plus reading and replying on this forum - than I do with my wife...???!!!???

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Jack Nicklaus used to tell people that even on his very best rounds he believed he only struck 3 or 4 "perfect shots". And this included rounds where he hit 14 fairways and 18 greens.

Wow, that's a GREAT point! Was it also Nicklaus who called golf: "the unwinnable game"..?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Yes. I shot 80 for the 2nd time in two weeks. Most guys would be very happy with that. Me... not so much. I want a 7 in front of my score. Anything less... I feel I've left too much out there.

Shot a 79 two weeks ago and all I can think about is that damn 4' short putt I missed for bird! Sometimes you just gotta look at the accomplishment and not be so focused on the failure...but I'm not there yet, lol.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Shot a 79 two weeks ago and all I can think about is that damn 4' short putt I missed for bird! Sometimes you just gotta look at the accomplishment and not be so focused on the failure...but I'm not there yet, lol.

MDGolfHacker

Someone smarter than me (Dr. Bob Rotella) said:

"Golf is not a game of perfect."

:-) 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

For me, the good news is that I now play most of my golf on the "senior tees"; the bad news is that I now play most of my golf on the "senior tees".   Needless to say, any score that I would consider a "personal best" is when using the those tees which still has a sense of a hollow victory to me on some level because it is only on those tees that I can do so.  If I could only shoot similar scores when playing with the young bucks from the regular tees, perhaps, I would feel differently.   There still remains a part of me that says-you only shoot those scores because you got old and moved up. 

About 5 years ago, I won my flight in my club championship with a final round even par 72.  It was the first time I'd ever shot 72 at that course.  I was thrilled with the win, but since then, I can only remember two shots during that round.  The birdie I made on the last hole to get me to 72, and the chunked chip I made on 15 that could have gotten me under par.  But I guess that's how it goes with just about any round.  I can quickly tell you every bad shot I made on a round, but have a hard time remembering the good ones. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I read what you've wrote, but encourage you to reconsider your perspective.

Tee boxes are set to "level the playing field" so that a wide range of ages, skill levels, and genders may compete reasonably well against the golf course (and each other). In this regard tee box placement is similar to a player's course handicap, which also promotes  competition against the course and other players.

As long as the player's follow the Rules of these systems (either tee box selection or posting accurate golf scores for handicap), they do work well.

If your tee shot ball has an average distance that makes your par 4 and 5 approach shots unreasonably long, then you will not be able to play the course as it was designed, and the system calls for you to move forward to a tee box which does allow reasonable distance approach shots. 

I don't think is any reason at all to consider a good score from sensible tee boxes to be any sort of "hollow victory".

If it makes you feel any better, Tour pro events rarely have the players using the very back tee box from every hole. Typically their tee boxes rotate forwards and backwards, changing each of the four days.

Also, both the Champions Tour and LPGA Tour (in an effort to promote lower scoring) traditionally use tee boxes which are well in front of what most of the field needs to have reasonable par 4 and par 5 approach distances. 

Initially, let me thank you for your post and encouragement.    I understand, know and accept every statement made.   I likewise know that I should not have such a perspective, I know that I'm playing where I belong.   But knowing that I never consistently shot or could have consistently shot such scores in my younger days from the regular tees is something that I must remove from my brain and only I can do so.   I must accept that I am now where I belong and so while I have not gotten any better, I shoot better scores there.  If only there was some way to tell my brain that I am actually playing better as a result.   I must admit that I enjoy shooting lower scores, its just that my brain suggests its not because I have become a more talented golfer.

I was working hard to have a score that started with a 7, and at the time the best round I had ever shot was an 81. It seemed like every round I would play I'd walk away saying if I would've done this or that I could've had it.  But growing up in a house where dad's favorite saying was "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas" I tried my best to suck it up and keep plugging along until I reached my goal. 

I was playing really well (for me) and thought that it was finally my big day. Things were going great and even my bad shots seemed to not turn out to be too bad.  I was on the par 5 17th and 18 was a par 4 to close the round.  I ended the round with a Double-7 followed by a Bogie-5 for a score of 80... I went from limiting my mistakes for 16 holes, to hitting a bad shot on 17, and then following that up by hitting more bad shots to try to "make up" for the first one.  It was brutal, I walked away with the best score I had ever had, and at the same time felt like I got kicked in the gut. 

It took me a while to realize how much truth there is in the old "the next shot is the most important shot".  On the bright side I did end up finally breaking 80, and now I am on to new golf goals!  

:ping-small: G30 Driver

:ping-small: G30 3 and 5 Wood

:ping-small: i200 red dot 4-U

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 54 and 58

Scotty Cameron Fastback Select

Always been excited after a personal best. I don't go around telling every one, but always feel very satisfied after a pb, or just a good round in general. If I stop feeling excited, I guess, it's time to hang them up. But, I am a very optimistic person, and generally kind of pumped up.

Archived