TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ocotillo

I played Ocotillo for the second Saturday in a row today. Phil's company recently took over management of this course in Chandler, AZ. Here are my quick thoughts. Everything is very much the same. Range balls are no longer included in the the base greens fees price and need to be picked up at the pro shop. This is a downgrade IMHO and seems to cheapen the experience. This course has 3 nines and used to run them in a fashion that the early tee times would be able to move from front to back nine quickly. Now, they book all 3 nine's tee times so fast play is not rewarded. 90 minute front nine and 150 minute back nine. So, not my favorite move on this point. For the course, it's decent, but very wet. All low areas are soaked. Remember, this is Phoenix and we are used to hard dry conditions. Strange call here and makes for soggy lies. The course attendants are great and clubhouse staff is great. My quick summary is: Course is the same, but wetter. Service is still great. Management of tee times has been downgraded. This is still a decent place to play in Phoenix, but I can give you 3-4 courses within 15 miles that are better managed. So, not sold on Phil's team.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

I played Ocotillo many years ago.  It was a nice course, and enjoyable to play.  Plenty of water if I remember correctly.    ;)  When I played it, they only had two of the three nine open for play.  They always had one nine closed for maintenance, which I thought was a great idea.  I guess when times got tough, management crammed as many people on the courses as they could to make more profit.  You are correct; plenty of courses around.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I used to play here a few times a year and thought it was a nice layout. I like all of the ponds around the course. However, if I had the choice, I'm playing superstition springs instead.

I lived in North Scottsdale and once in a while had to go to the Intel across the street, so I would bring my clubs and play.

I agree, their are so many options for different courses in the area, that you'll never get bored with a layout.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Update on Ocotillo. Still in transition. Phil's team is moving at a slow pace to update this course. They put in concrete and mats for the driving range which a low end move. They are also slow at revamping tees and greens. Course is unplayable currently with little to no grass on fairways. It's really a shame.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

Update on Ocotillo. Still in transition. Phil's team is moving at a slow pace to update this course. They put in concrete and mats for the driving range which a low end move. They are also slow at revamping tees and greens. Course is unplayable currently with little to no grass on fairways. It's really a shame.

Dang!  I was hoping to play there in January.  Sorry it's not doing well.  Maybe with the overseed next month, it will be ready by then.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ocotillo has gone down hill the last few years. My league plays there every other month or so and I have passed the last few times. Not worth the drive or the money for me. So many better courses in the area. A good layout, just the playing conditions have suffered.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Archived