TESTERS WANTED! ×

what will Tiger do ?

Topline

I'll admit that a year ago , after watching Tiger suffer from the chipping yips, I thought his future would be struggling to shoot par. I thought his days of competing to win Tour events were finished.

But this year he proven able to swing the club with some good rhythm-tempo, play good short game shots, and shoot low scores.  Tiger is now 42 years old.

During the coming 5 years what do you expect will be Tiger's golf tournament accomplishments?

Average 1 win per season, no Majors? 

Collect 10 more wins over the next five years, including a Major ? 2 more Majors ?

Tiger's got 14 majors and Nicklaus has 18. Will Tiger win 4 more and tie Jack's record, or win 5 to have more than Jack?

Please post here your prediction for number of wins Tiger might get during the next 5 years, including Majors.

I'll start by guessing Tiger wins 4 more Tour events, including 1 Major.

Driver Mizuno JPX-EZ GD Tour AD-DI

Fairways Mizuno JPX-EZ 3 and 5 metals GD Tour AD-DJ

Iron set Mizuno MP 63 3-PW DG S300

Wedges Mizuno MP-T5 52* and 58* DG wedge shaft

Putter Byron Morgan DH89

I think he has one more major in him.... counting  4 - 5 more wins on tour.

Even if he gets his game back to say...  top 25 in the world, I think there is just too much talent out there today, for him to be a dominant player that wins a lot. There really doesn't seem to be any out there right now that win consistently, let alone are dominant.

He'll beat Jack. 19 majors. Starting with the Open this year. He has he eye of the Tiger again, something that wasn't there in Tiger 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0

Tiger 3.5 gives a crap about it again, unlike the rest of the Tigers. He will win twice this year.

Retire .............it does not suck!

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

I believe Tiger will win again.  In my opinion more than once would be a safe bet.  Maybe even a couple majors but I think Jacks major record is safe.  I am a huge Tiger fan boy and he is the reason I got into golf but even I must face the fact that Dominate Tiger is the past.  

I do agree that he would be better off hitting that stinger 3 wood on every tee instead of driver.  For the current Tiger the fairway is more important than ever, especially with his ability to hit pure iron shots.

Since you just said next 5 years, put me down for 3 regular wins plus an Open win in 2021 at St. Andrews.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

The last time I remember Tiger's swing looking great, for all 4 rounds of a Major, was the 2006 British Open. That week I don't know if Tiger ever swung his driver. On every par 4 or par 5 tee box I think he swung either his 2-iron or a 3 wood. The result was a dramatic positive benefit to his swing rhythm-tempo, and that carried through from the tee box down to the rest of the clubs within his bag.

Swinging driver can definitely be a swing tempo-rhythm killer, not just for Tiger but for a lot of amateurs and Tour pros as well.

I just find it funny that when he "needs to hit a fairway" he hits the 2-iron or 3 wood.  Both probably go 250-300 and he has extreme confidence in them.  It is amusing that he would even carry a driver since that is plenty far off the tee in my book and definitely better than 330 in the rough.  He is the GOAT (IMO) and I am a weekend hacker so what do I know!

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

For awhile now, my opinion is that driver is the most overrated club within the bag.

Absolutely the tee shot is very important to good play, good scoring etc... but my belief is that the tee shot is often times, for several reasons, better played with a 3-wood , 4 wood, hybrid, possibly a long iron or driving iron.

When players hear me say this they often respond " I am more accurate with my driver than I am 3-wood". But I think a big reason for this is very few people ever use their 3-wood much off par 4 or par 5 tee boxes, so it's not swung often and players don't get comfortable swinging it. I think if a player left their driver in the car for 3 or 4 rounds of golf they might be shocked at the good scoring results they get when playing 3-wood off the tee boxes. And it's not just amateurs, plenty of Tour pros would see their scoring averages go down if they played less than driver off more tee boxes.

I definitely agree with that concept. I know I should hit more 3 woods off the tee.  I was in the driver off every par 4 or 5 tee camp until 1 round that my driver shaft broke on the 2nd hole.  I ended up no worse for the wear and actually shot 2 strokes better than my average.  Since then I realized that driver probably costs me a couple strokes around.

Archived