Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2018 US OPEN

revkev

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The British amateur champ shot 92 yesterday....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

And Rory was +10

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Former champions Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth and Martin Kaymer all missed the cut, as did Jon Rahm, Sergio Garcia and Jason Day.

Not to fret, a bomber with an amazing wedge game is on top. Just as I expected.

Former champions Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth and Martin Kaymer all missed the cut, as did Jon Rahm, Sergio Garcia and Jason Day.

It's the carnage of the US Open. The way it's supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Netflix has a package of "golf biography" segments, including one of Jack Nicklaus. In the video shares good memories of playing British Opens, especially how much golf knowledge their local fans have.

Sadly, the mindless yelling that's coming from the crowd at Shinnecock is disrespectful to the players, the tournament, and the game itself.

Yup. My wife and I have seriously been talking about taking a job overseas.

Everything here has to be bigger, louder, more betterer...

I'll take a flat, some links golf, and a 1980 Land Rover Defender 110.

Either way we are going to simplify things a bit. Get rid of the nonsense.

It was interesting that the guys I played with today commented on the crowd. I hadn't really noticed. Being from the tri-state area it seemed tame to me.

In 86 Norman stormed the crowd. I was close to that action.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Not being cocky. But if I wasn't injured. I'm Betting I could break 90 from the members tees there

271.gif

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

No chance I break 100 there from any tee. Only person I saw that was stopping the ball on the greens was Sergio, and if you watched the Masters you know what kind of spin he puts on the ball. With lefty struggling to get up and down, I definitely don't stand a chance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

If I broke 100 on this setup from those tees I'd buy drinks like I made a hole in one.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I might take that and be happy. Phil was 13/14 fw yesterday and shot +7. US open isn't easy

Ha. And Chris Cooley (former Redskin. Now local sports talk jock) was going on today, that he'd break 100 from the tournament tees. And he's a 7 handicap. LMFAO.

He said all he had to do was play bogey golf. His co-host said. Tiger Woods had trouble playing bogey golf on like 6 holes. So yeah. I'm sure you could do it for 18.

There was no talking sense into him. He's a jock, be can fix anything. Ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Not being cocky. But if I wasn't injured. I'm Betting I could break 90 from the members tees there

I obviously don't have any idea how good you are but I somewhat doubt it, even from the member's tees. The conditions are the kicker here. It's nothing like we are used to playing.

When it's not set up for a US Open, I'm sure you could. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Ha. And Chris Cooley (former Redskin. Now local sports talk jock) was going on today, that he'd break 100 from the tournament tees. And he's a 7 handicap. LMFAO.

He said all he had to do was play bogey golf. His co-host said. Tiger Woods had trouble playing bogey golf on like 6 holes. So yeah. I'm sure you could do it for 18.

There was no talking sense into him. He's a jock, be can fix anything. Ha

I think it's doable to break 90 for a very good player. But you would have to go into it with zero hopes of breaking 80 and intentionally playing the most conservative/ boring game plan ever.

Never going for it and playing away from issues. Laying it up or playing away from certain holes/greens even on par 4s when it calls for it. You just can't take doubles unless you are in the heather.

It limits your upside so even on your best day, you can only shoot 82-83. But it also limits your downside. So, if you play decent you should be able to break 90.

At least, that's how I would go about it if I had a bet with someone about breaking 90. You just have to play VERY smart. And then pray that you wedge/putt it well enough to get it done.

I think it's very doable to break 90 for a very good player. But you would have to go into it with zero hopes of breaking 80 and intentionally playing the most conservative/ boring game plan ever.

Never going for it and playing away from issues. Laying it up or playing away from certain holes/greens even on par 4s when it calls for it. You just can't take doubles unless you are in the heather.

It limits your upside so even on your best day, you can only shoot 82-83. But it also limits your downside. So, if you play decent you should be able to break 90.

At least, that's how I would go about it if I had a bet with someone about breaking 90. You just have to play VERY smart. And then pray that you wedge/putt it well enough to get it done.

Agree with someone of your level being able to take that approach and break 90. But he's what, 8 strokes higher than you? So that already puts him on the edge of 100 with very little room for error.

I remember when Tony Romo took the NBC challenge at Torey Pines I think the Friday before the open. And as a Scratch or even +1 I think he shot right around 90.

Back to Cooley, his Co host told him, he'd never seen Cooley even break 80 when he played at the cohosts club. Which Is a nice private in the area but only like 6600 from the back.

FWIW, No Laying Up played the course a week or two ago; before they shaved the fairways and greens. As guys who play all the time, they're all decent players and managed to turn in scores in the 80s from the members tees. I think very good average Joe's could break 90 from the members tees with the speeds turned up but high handicappers wouldn't stand a chance.

From the tournament tees? Fuggedabout it. Not only would the players need to be scratch, they'd need to be exceptionally long just to make it over the 250-270 yard forced carries.....so basically players that nearly qualified through the Am route anyway.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Agree with someone of your level being able to take that approach and break 90. But he's what, 8 strokes higher than you? So that already puts him on the edge of 100 with very little room for error.

I remember when Tony Romo took the NBC challenge at Torey Pines I think the Friday before the open. And as a Scratch or even +1 I think he shot right around 90.

Back to Cooley, his Co host told him, he'd never seen Cooley even break 80 when he played at the cohosts club. Which Is a nice private in the area but only like 6600 from the back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I can do it. I probably couldn't unless I played well. Especially on the first try. But that would be the way to go about it if I had the bet!

Yea... Cooley can put his money where his mouth is on that one! lol

He's letting his ego get the better of him. 

Edit: Give me like 5 chances and I think its a sure thing  :D 

FWIW, No Laying Up played the course a week or two ago; before they shaved the fairways and greens. As guys who play all the time, they're all decent players and managed to turn in scores in the 80s from the members tees. I think very good average Joe's could break 90 from the members tees with the speeds turned up but high handicappers wouldn't stand a chance.

From the tournament tees? Fuggedabout it. Not only would the players need to be scratch, they'd need to be exceptionally long just to make it over the 250-270 yard forced carries.....so basically players that nearly qualified through the Am route anyway.

I think Soly shot 78 from the tips (not the US Open tees), which are 6950 or so. But he said that the course was much softer and easier than what they were playing today. I'd venture to say that he'd shoot close to 6-10 shots worse even from the same boxes in these conditions.

A course playing nothing like you are used to really screws with you. All your instincts are off.

Soly is a 1 or 2 handicap if memory serves. I think it was lower a month+ ago but he said he was playing over his head earlier this year and his cap was inflated. 

Wind, hard greens, one HAS to hit spots 3'x3'?!?!?! Yeahhhhhhhh, NO. Ain't nobody breaking 100. They've already proven that years ago with the Golf Digest/Golf Magazine sweeps. Play Monday, Pros tees, break 100. I think one guy did it in all of the tries. If a Top five golfer in the WORLD shoots 80, NOOOOOOOOOBODY on here's breaking 100.

Now, get off my lawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Anybody want a #SpyStaffSlam Update?

Ok, here's a quick #SpyStaffSlam update.

Apologies but I won't have any advanced analytics available this time around. Being out of town means I was unable to handjam the picks before the US Open started. This way might be better anyway because, while stats are sacrificed, it's less work.

We had about 820 entries but I'm sure roughly 10% will be DQ'd for invalid or duplicate entries. This means it's a smaller pool so your odds just got a little better. As we learned from The Masters, you're dead without the winner unless something crazy happens. Out of the entries, here's how many chose from those currently near the top of the leaderboard:

[1] DJ - 200++

[3] Hoffman - 96

[5] Piercy - 2

[3] Poulter - 59

[1] Rose - 194

[1] Koepka - 27

[2] Fleetwood - 129

[1] Stenson - 29

[4] Henley - 43

[1] Fowler - 97

[Tier]

Aside from DJ, JR, and TF, this is a pretty scarcely-chosen leaderboard. If you've got a name up there, you've got a shot. Still lots of golf to play so let's see where it goes from here! I'm just happy all 5 of my guys made the cut.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Wind, hard greens, one HAS to hit spots 3'x3'?!?!?! Yeahhhhhhhh, NO. Ain't nobody breaking 100. They've already proven that years ago with the Golf Digest/Golf Magazine sweeps. Play Monday, Pros tees, break 100. I think one guy did it in all of the tries. If a Top five golfer in the WORLD shoots 80, NOOOOOOOOOBODY on here's breaking 100.

Now, get off my lawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm pretty sure Mark Wahlburg broke 100 a few years back on a US Open course within a week of the tourney and he is a 10 handicap who doesn't play the ball down regularly.

Just because its hard doesn't mean its impossible. It's just golf. Hard golf but golf all the same.

Heck no. I hate cities, well large cities. I live in a very tiny village of 300 ish people in the middle of nowhere.

holler at me if you're ever in central Texas, you'd love it here in Whitney and Blum lol.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

No kidding loud mouth Yanks, stfu!

Image1529125127.739729.jpg nothing personal man, I just can't resist lol. Especially when she has my Texas on her hat

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I can do it. I probably couldn't unless I played well. Especially on the first try. But that would be the way to go about it if I had the bet!

Yea... Cooley can put his money where his mouth is on that one! lol

He's letting his ego get the better of him.

Edit: Give me like 5 chances and I think its a sure thing :D

Yep. I like your chances one out of five for sure. Yep he's an ex NFL plauer, so of course there's going to be a lot of bravado. I just think he's way underestimating how quickly he or any 7 cap could get sideways from the Open tees and to have the touch required to save bogey when he misses those greens on the wrong side.

I'd be interested in watching him try.

You sure you aren't thinking of the Foreplay podcast from Barstool? Those guys don't take a whole lot serious.

NLU's podcasts on the other hand are generally interviews with everyone from Rory, to Azinger to Bones, Spieth, JT or golf writers. They are pretty serious about the game and provide some nice insight from the pro's perspective.

I think the NLU podcast dos a great job. The interviews have been really good. It is nice to know the players a little better.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Finally caught up and two thoughts.

One you could take the guys that missed the cut and start another tournament and have a huge draw lol.

As for the weekender breaking 90 under tourny conditions. Go buy lottery tickets. You'll have better odds. If you've ever had the chance to play any course that is tournament ready, you'll gain a lot more respect for how good these guys and gals are on tour compared to us.

Having said that, I'd love to try lol

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Archived