TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 US OPEN

revkev

This tournament seems to be getting s lot more flack than previous opens.

1. The “fans”

2. The “Conditions”

3. The “fans”

4. “Phil”

5. “DJ vs the F'ing Hill”

I think the USGA has a lot of crap to explain, mostly the stupid a$$ people heckling Players at a major. This is a disgrace to golf, more so than Phil getting mad over a cement green.

They need to do something and quick. You can hear every cuss word from any fan standing within ear shot of a mic.

It sounded like a Kid Rock concert out there yesterday.

Why do you keep saying Phil got mad over a rock hard green? He certainly didn't indicate that in his remarks to the press. What he indicated was that he intentionally interfered with a moving ball because he felt that it was going to save him strokes.

There's a rule for that and it allows for a DQ -

So I will subtract the fictional Phil account and instead add the USGAs failure to apply its own rules evenly - if this had been Joe Blow Pro - he'd be home today - rightfully.

The fans are drunk - Phil knows better - no different from hitting a tree, having it ricocheted and stoping the ball before it rolls OB.

Back to the golf - can we hope the USGA gets the course back to the shape it was in on Thursday because it was perfect then and we have an incredible leader board. Several of the top players in the world, playing their best golf.

The course has eliminated the chaff for this week quiet nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 cents: he made a stroke at a moving ball = 2 stroke penalty, the end.

Chamblee not only crying for DQ, but is acting like Phil punched Jack in the face or p*ssed on AP's grave. Went on to say that his comments after 2014 Ryder Cup overshadowed Europe's win. What???

I disagree - it's not that simple - there is another rule about intentionally deflecting a ball for personal gain - preventing it from going OB or such. That rule allows for a DQ. Phil clearly intended to deflected the ball - he said so - that rule should have been considered and applied.

Chamblee drives me nuts at times but it doesn't change the facts of what happened.

Phil intentionally stopped a moving ball from going to a bad spot. That can't be allowed in a professional golf event.

I agree that he was clearly frustrated but why? At the course? He was 10 behind at the start of the day and is 14 behind now - is that the courses fault?

Maybe, just maybe he was frustrated with himself.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I totally agree with you as in "not in the spirit of the game"--- Now I am watching the reruns of the GC telecast and I have not seen yet that he withdrew. Seems like every year lately the "story" has not been about the golf itself but in how the USGA has screwed up this time which BTW is "par for the course" for them. Seems every year they have more controversy in this one event than they have in all professional tour events on all the tours all year combined. I am about 50/50 on whether I will waste the time to watch it this afternoon

I will watch this afternoon because it's a great leaderboard but I fully agree on the USGA and their struggles with course set up. By all accounts this course was perfect on Thursday and the elements made it play tough. Likewise on Friday and with less wind it played a bit easier - emphasis on a bit.

What were they thinking yesterday - there'd be less wind? Come on - a little water never hurt anyone except the wicked witch of the West.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Can't believe there's no comments on Mickelson's play on 13.

My opinion. ....

I'm a big fan of Phil, but I have to agree. I think the moment just got the better of him... as it does all of us, from time to time.

I'm sure he isn't happy about it this morning and wishes he would have used better judgement. I'm not giving him a pass.... but I can forgive him and move on.

This tournament seems to be getting s lot more flack than previous opens.

1. The “fans”

2. The “Conditions”

3. The “fans”

4. “Phil”

5. “DJ vs the F'ing Hill”

I think the USGA has a lot of crap to explain, mostly the stupid a$$ people heckling Players at a major. This is a disgrace to golf, more so than Phil getting mad over a cement green.

They need to do something and quick. You can hear every cuss word from any fan standing within ear shot of a mic.

It sounded like a Kid Rock concert out there yesterday.

I would throw every one of them out. I'd like to ram my dilly dilly down their f***en throat!

Yeah the dilly dilly think has to stop - it's beyond obnoxious

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Phil's great for the game, but he can definitely be a whiney baby sometimes

See I really don't care for him. Yeah. Phenomenal golfer, and all that.

But the big thing is, he stuck his neck out and look what's happening.... they are “slowing down the course”, that's the difference between a respected veteran and a whiney JT.

Yeah the dilly dilly think has to stop - it's beyond obnoxious

whats this dilly dilly thing? I have heard lots of crap shouting, once even 3 guys shouted the same thing together for added affect!

There needs to be some etiquette requests on tickets, on programmes and instructions to the marshals to speak with anyone shouting abuse or nonsense to desist out of respect for golf, the players and the other fans.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Oh, and Joe Buck blows as usual...

I used to kinda ignore all the Jow Buck hate, didn't really care one way or the other about him.

But yesterday put me over the edge on him. He came off as a sanctimonious blowhard over the Phil issue. As well as other comments on the course setup.

Also, am I the only one that hates this live mic on the course or whatever it is. There is so much. Background noise from the wind and other things that it's distracting. And oh yeah as a result of it, we have to hear every drunken moron and whatever nonsense he's shouting.

Man I miss NBC, maybe not Johnny so much, but everything else about NBC.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Lighten up, folks. It's golf, not high mass.

While I'm not a fan of boorish behavior, that's what the USGA signed up for when they chose a venue near NYC.

They shouldn't be yelling dilly dilly when the course plays more like the pit of misery.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Uh oh. Now it's too easy. More than one guy under par for the round.

ESPN just said easiest pins of the week. Do they still play an 18 hole playoff if there are any ties?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I disagree - it's not that simple - there is another rule about intentionally deflecting a ball for personal gain - preventing it from going OB or such. That rule allows for a DQ. Phil clearly intended to deflected the ball - he said so - that rule should have been considered and applied.

Chamblee drives me nuts at times but it doesn't change the facts of what happened.

Phil intentionally stopped a moving ball from going to a bad spot. That can't be allowed in a professional golf event.

I agree that he was clearly frustrated but why? At the course? He was 10 behind at the start of the day and is 14 behind now - is that the courses fault?

Maybe, just maybe he was frustrated with himself.

I thought i heard a rules official say there was 2 other rules that they could have used (cant remember what they were). They decided that rule 14.5 was the correct one to use since they concluded he made a stroke at the ball.

It isnt what i would expect from Phil but he is human. Everyone gets upset and does irrational things. Unlike some i wont lose any sleep or respect for the guy.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I used to kinda ignore all the Jow Buck hate, didn't really care one way or the other about him.

But yesterday put me over the edge on him. He came off as a sanctimonious blowhard over the Phil issue. As well as other comments on the course setup.

Also, am I the only one that hates this live mic on the course or whatever it is. There is so much. Background noise from the wind and other things that it's distracting. And oh yeah as a result of it, we have to hear every drunken moron and whatever nonsense he's shouting.

Man I miss NBC, maybe not Johnny so much, but everything else about NBC.

Your right on about “Buck” and yes the mic's are annoying.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

RE: yesterday....

As I said to @revkev before the tournament started or right after??

Make it hard but fair.

Good shots should be rewarded.

Bad shots should be punished.

Good shots shouldn't be punished.

Yesterday afternoon wasn't fair.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

This “tournament” and the USGA are a disgrace. Part of the much larger reason they no longer get any of my money. #GrowTheGame my (donkey?)

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Not in the spirit of the game IMO, regardless of the penalty. Deliberately trying to influence a ball in motion for the sole purpose of not wanting to play a ball as it lies is pretty low for any golfer, but completely unacceptable for a professional. Luckily he did the right thing and withdrew.

Apologies seem to be the order of the day - I was under the impression that Phil Mickelson officially withdrew after his faux pas, but now it seems he didn't and officially finished the tournament and posted a score in order to collect some prize money. That's normally called cheating where I come from - I guess the USGA have other opinions...

What is "disgraceful" about the USGA?

It's a first rate organization which for a hundred years has done wonderful things for the game of golf, and most of its staff are volunteers working because they care about the game.

I expect that at least 70% of Tour players would say that if they could only win one major, it would be the US Open. And amateur players consider the US Amateur to be the most prestigious of amateur events, just as the 17 and under age group considers the USGA Junior their top event.

Basically, the USGA consistently hosts the best tournaments in golf, for both amateur and pro play, and there is nothing "disgraceful" about that.

I don't believe this lot cares anything about growing the game. The setup of this tournament is consistently trash. The mantra of this organization is that the game should be played the way THEY see fit, not to make the game more enjoyable and bring in more players. Grooves, long putters, roll back the ball, rules gaffes, drunken presidents who can't get through a trophy presentation, on and on. You and I obviously disagree, and that's fine.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I don't think I've got a dog in the USGA beatdown hunt. Like other big organizations the leadership at the top usually take heat for one reason or another. The USGA is no different. I personally like to think of the USGA as an organization "trying" to do good for the game. Yes there are various issues many people have with it and I could probably gripe about some of them too. But I won't. At the local level where I play and compete against my buddy's we never even think about the USGA. I'd bet if I were to hold a large competition there would be plenty of antagonist that would offer how "they" would do things differently. To that I'd say fine... you do it next year big boy. But they won't because they're not going to stick their neck out. I'm not defending or cheerleading the USGA but I feel a lot of people are jumping on the USGA beatdown show for no reason other than to be a "me-too" type.

I do question why the USGA seems hell-bent on making their OPEN so much more difficult than other majors. Like that's the overarching theme it seems... make the OPEN one tough a$$ test of golf. We'll show these guys. Why not just hold it at venues that are already noted as being more difficult tracks in their own right. Like Shinnecock is; and let it be at that. I doubt anyone would shoot 23 under if they'd left it alone. It's a tough course all by itself. Isn't it? If the USGA were to axe me I'd tell them to let it be and let the guys play golf. Quit trying to trick-out the courses. But then the usual crowd would be calling for them to make it a man-eater! It's a no win situation.

I'm enjoying the tournament and someone will win. That much I do know. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Finau Koepka and Reed let's get a win for the bladecollarboyz

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I thought i heard a rules official say there was 2 other rules that they could have used (cant remember what they were). They decided that rule 14.5 was the correct one to use since they concluded he made a stroke at the ball.

It isnt what i would expect from Phil but he is human. Everyone gets upset and does irrational things. Unlike some i wont lose any sleep or respect for the guy.

And had his explanation been that I would have been fine with the 2 strokes - it wasn't - he said he did it thoughtfully and intentionally. That's why I'm saying another rule should have been invoked.

But now we have great golf being played - this course has produced good champions and wonderful back nine drama every time.

Time for that

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Wow is this some great golf. I need Thomas to shoot 72 or over to win my friend's pool. (I had Fowler today)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived