revkev

2018 US OPEN

Yup Tommy got screwed out of major with yesterday's set up.

Dustin Johnson is raising his hand

WOW when was the last time a thread on MGS went to 34 pages?

There's a few. Check out the TXG one for example!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Especially one that doesn't have “Free Stuff”

Funniest post Ive read, in quite a while.

• Like 3

What a great tournament. And with all of this chatter about course set up, the gallery, Phil's use of the rules, etc I feel that the USGA is getting what it wants. The conversation about this tournament will carry for quite some time.

• Like 2

I'm not gonna say it. But I'm gonna say it. I picked BK to win, and should have in the spy slam. His play had been top notch, and he excels on hard courses. So when I said I had my US Open and Open Champs picked, well they finished 1-2 this week. And I bet they will be battling for some time. Two extremely great professionals, I'd like to see them paired up again sometime.

• Like 3

isnt that just luck though, day 2 the morning was wet and windy, afternoon dry warm and no wind

No luck involved at all. The course was set up poorly and the afternoon players who had played the best all week, were penalized for their good play. That is different than the weather affecting play. Btw DJ had the worst side of the draw each of the first 3 days and was still tied for the lead. That's impressive

• Like 3

What a great tournament. And with all of this chatter about course set up, the gallery, Phil's use of the rules, etc I feel that the USGA is getting what it wants. The conversation about this tournament will carry for quite some time.

Saturday was not good but Sunday was pretty good . Even SWMBO watched most of it. She still thinks Phil was the funniest thing she ever saw at a golf tournament

• Like 2

Also. I'm glad Nike put him in gray. That ugly green last year was hideous.

• Like 2

Last thing before I shut up.

JPX Tour sales will get a nice bump in he coming weeks again.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, due to a tourney I missed most of the action today. I doubt I made any noise in the MGS Wilson contest but I did win the US Open pool that I'm in! Time to sit down and watch the replay to see how I won my $$ :D

Big thanks to Rose, Koepka, Fleetwood, Grace, Cantlay and Stricker! Lol

• Like 4

Saturday was not good but Sunday was pretty good . Even SWMBO watched most of it. She still thinks Phil was the funniest thing she ever saw at a golf tournament

My Father-in-Law and I were laughing about it today as well. When he first saw the replay he thought it was him messing around on a practice green. Made it even funnier to him that he did it in tournament play.

And as to Saturday, people were talking. For one reason or another. Kind of the any press is good press theory. I do wish that people were able to talk about the great golf all weekend instead of the ancillary stuff.

• Like 1

Is it wrong for me to be happy that Reed didn't win?

• Like 3

Is it wrong for me to be happy that Reed didn't win?

Not one bit.

• Like 3

I think Beef agreed. I guess he apologized to Phil because he couldn't stop laughing.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

I'd like to point out that the guy who won shot even for the last two days. Others shot under par for those days.

It was tough, but the guy who played best - prevailed. It wasn't quite as unfair as everyone was screaming about.

Carnoustie has the potential to be every bit as tough, too.

Enjoy that.

BTW I hear the USGA is bringing a floating tee in to make 18 at Pebble a 575 yard par 4.

• Like 5

One more thing.

A Bomber Won the US Open.

That is all.

• Like 1

One more thing.

A Bomber Won the US Open.

That is all.

Let's set the record straight and be done with this.

Best player ever- Jack Nicklaus - bomber

Second best - Tiger Woods - bomber

Third best - Bobby Jones - bomber

Long and straight is the most important attribute in golf. The largest difference between tour pro and scratch - distance. The largest difference between each handicap level and the next - distance.

It's really not t rocket science.

• Like 4

Let's set the record straight and be done with this.

Best player ever- Jack Nicklaus - bomber

Second best - Tiger Woods - bomber

Third best - Bobby Jones - bomber

Long and straight is the most important attribute in golf. The largest difference between tour pro and scratch - distance. The largest difference between each handicap level and the next - distance.

It's really not t rocket science.

I respectfully disagree. First-I am top 5 at my club in distance (driver-wedges) but I'm in the bottom half in handicap. My iron game holds me back. Second-no one group will ever agree on who the GOAT is in any sport. You can however get a consensus (most of the time) on who ruled in their particular era. Just my opinion here.

Blake

• Like 2

The greats may have been or are bombers, but they also have extraordinary short games. There are lots of bombers who aren't even footnotes in the great golfer discussion.

DJ is a bomber, yet he lost the tournament because of his putting over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

I could not disagree more,

There are many thousands of players who consistently strike the ball "long and straight", from muni amateurs to country club amateurs to junior players to collegiate players to mini tour players around the world etc.... It's just not that challenging, especially with today's equipment, to consistently strike long, straight shots. Attend a D1 college event, US Amateur, web.com, State Open , or even national junior event and most every player in the field is striking beautiful long drives, solid 5-irons etc... all day long. Those shots are relatively easy and many thousands of players around the world do it, every day.

So, the game changer, the thing that separates a big Tour player from all the rest, is his ability to consistently get the ball up and down. Chipping, pitching, bunker play, putting is everything, really, because the tee to green game is something many thousands of people can do.

Brooks Koepka won the US Open today because of his short game. For example, he made a miraculous 4 on the par 3 11th. He made an incredible up and down from behind the 12th green. He made a sensational up and down to save par on hole 14.

And Tiger in his prime dominated because his pitching, chipping, putting was significantly better than anybody he competed against.

@Robertson153 People often get this idea wrong. Just because someone excells at length or shortgame or approach shots or putting doesn't mean they can be deficient at other parts of the game if they want to excel. Btw Rev said long and straight. Just because you swing it 120 and can't hit it straight doesn't mean you should beat people. I know that from experience! ;)

@Topline You are off on Koepka and his short game btw. His SG short game was -2.4 for the week and ranked 56th this week.

Koepka killed with his approach game and putting. He was 1st in SG approach and 2nd in putting. Gaining close to 19 shots between the two this week.

• Like 2