Sign in to follow this  
ronin1120

Phil Mickelson Says USGA should use a "Halfer" to Measure Green Speed

Phil had a presser the other day and said that the USGA should use a "halfer" instead of the Stimpmeter to measure green speed. Anyone have any idea what a "halfer" is and how it works. Or, is Phil trolling every golfer in the world? 

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/phil-shinnecock-no-7-great-hole-until-usga-gets-hold-it/

thanks,

Charlie

I have no earthly idea but I wanted to comment so that I'll be following this post in case someone does know. 

There is a decent chance that Phil is just trolling the crap out of us  :lol:

• Like 2

The USGA use a device and then raise it to 20*.

Like this...

stimpmeter-1_8.jpg

Phil says they should use something like this...

images.jpg

I don't know exactly what a "Halfer" is but this would remove any subjective issues because how high is 20*.

There seems to be several different types but Phil's point is to use one that is a triangle rather than something lifted.

• Like 8

Perhaps "halfer" references Bryson DeChambeau's course conditions methodology - half golfer; half mad scientist.

Phil - "Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter, halfer."

• Like 6

a halfer is 50% less than a wholer..................no need to thank me!

disclaimer....I have no idea what a halfer is

• Like 8

Like this...

attachicon.gifstimpmeter-1_8.jpg

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

I don't know exactly what a "Halfer" is but this would remove any subjective issues because how high is 20*.

There seems to be several different types but Phil's point is to use one that is a triangle rather than something lifted.

I'm with Phil on this one. Remove the obvious variable that doesn't need to be there

• Like 3

Like this...

attachicon.gifstimpmeter-1_8.jpg

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

seriously, they just lift it roughly to a height they think is ok? unbelievable how inaccurate this must be across the board

• Like 2

seriously, they just lift it roughly to a height they think is ok? unbelievable how inaccurate this must be across the board

There is a notch milled into the stimpmeter designed to hold a ball until it is raised to the appropriate (read: consistent) angle, at which point the ball rolls out. Distances measurements are taken from opposite directions and then averaged to get a "stimp" number.

• Like 4

There is a notch milled into the stimpmeter designed to hold a ball until it is raised to the appropriate (read: consistent) angle, at which point the ball rolls out. Distances measurements are taken from opposite directions and then averaged to get a "stimp" number.

Thanks for providing that bit of info - I didn't know that.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Does it matter how they measure the greens for a US Open? Shinny is fast just about year round and at ludicrous speed for the Open.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Does it matter how they measure the greens for a US Open? Shinny is fast just about year round and at ludicrous speed for the Open.

Have you gotten to play there Jmike? I know that's not too far from you and that you've played Fisher's Island and a few more out that way iirc. The amount of AMAZING courses in that area is just criminal.

I think from what I gather from the NLU guys, the course usually rolls around a 10 and shouldn't go faster than a 12 because of the crazy slopes of the greens and what not. Of course that's all just what I've read because I've never seen the Shennie in person. 

Have you gotten to play there Jmike? I know that's not too far from you and that you've played Fisher's Island and a few more out that way iirc. The amount of AMAZING courses in that area is just criminal.

I think from what I gather from the NLU guys, the course usually rolls around a 10 and shouldn't go faster than a 12 because of the crazy slopes of the greens and what not. Of course that's all just what I've read because I've never seen the Shennie in person.

I have played there a dozen or so times in my life. It is a great track and you are correct that according to the stimp meter they are not that fast, but they are the fastest slow greens I have ever played except maybe for Merion. The greens here are somewhat tame compared to Sebonac. That place needs a windmill and a few clowns on the greens.

• Like 5

I have played there a dozen or so times in my life. It is a great track and you are correct that according to the stimp meter they are not that fast, but they are the fastest slow greens I have ever played except maybe for Merion. The greens here are somewhat tame compared to Sebonac. That place needs a windmill and a few clowns on the greens.

IMG_0293.JPG

Tazz

• Like 2

I think the stimpmeter/green speed decisions are subject to expected wind conditions and, or, hole locations.

That idea worked well the last time the Open was there, just ask Kevin Stadler.

• Like 1

Sure the USGA has , from time to time, made mistakes. But who hasn't ?

Considering all factors, I think the USGA is a great organization.

I don't disagree. I am not a fan of letting Mike Davis protect par by making the course over the top. My fear is after last year the USGA can make this one a real “test” of golf. The rough on the island is healthy to say the least after the rain we had for all of the spring. Long rough and concrete greens are not a great combo.

• Like 1

Phil had a presser the other day and said that the USGA should use a "halfer" instead of the Stimpmeter to measure green speed. Anyone have any idea what a "halfer" is and how it works. Or, is Phil trolling every golfer in the world?

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/phil-shinnecock-no-7-great-hole-until-usga-gets-hold-it/

thanks,

Charlie

Lol, misread it there for a moment as Phil said they should use a HEIFER, like in a female cow sense... ok guess it couldn't hurt trying that😁😶🤣

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

Better a halfer than nothing at all...

• Like 1

I don't disagree. I am not a fan of letting Mike Davis protect par by making the course over the top. My fear is after last year the USGA can make this one a real “test” of golf. The rough on the island is healthy to say the least after the rain we had for all of the spring. Long rough and concrete greens are not a great combo.

Apparently Ray Floyd (Shinnecock member) called Mike Davis to have a little talk, and lo and behold, fairways started being narrowed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2018-dont-mess-this-up-its-crucial-that-the-usga-gets-it-right-at-shinnecock

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Apparently Ray Floyd (Shinnecock member) called Mike Davis to have a little talk, and lo and behold, fairways started being narrowed.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2018-dont-mess-this-up-its-crucial-that-the-usga-gets-it-right-at-shinnecock

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's a good interview. I really appreciated the section where Floyd says that a good course should be contoured to the player playing best that weekend, rather than helping out a specific type of player. If the players in contention have different styles of play then it's a fair track, regardless of score relative to par.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1