Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Corey Pavin

bens197

One of my first memories of watching golf as a kid was Corey's approach to 18 in the ‘95 Open. A 4-wood with 209 to the front and adrenaline pumping.

He made it to my hometown Rochester for the ‘95 Ryder Cup and played some great golf during the weekend.

I am still fascinated by a 5'9” 140# guy competing with balata golf balls and stainless Woods.

I didn't really have a point to make, just reflecting. My dad and I always loved watching Pavin...he was cool as ice.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I was just picking up the game around this time and remember the same shot you mentioned as that was the fisrt US Open I watched on TV! I always admired Corey and his bulldog nature on the golf course. He was far from the most talented or athletically gifted, but he sure made a heck of a career out of what he had! 

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I was just picking up the game around this time and remember the same shot you mentioned as that was the fisrt US Open I watched on TV! I always admired Corey and his bulldog nature on the golf course. He was far from the most talented or athletically gifted, but he sure made a heck of a career out of what he had!

He had his swing and he made it work for him!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Interesting he comes up now, I was reading the article about the Cleveland VAS irons he won with just yesterday. Those things were certainly unique, but he obviously made them work.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

One of my first memories of watching golf as a kid was Corey's approach to 18 in the ‘95 Open. A 4-wood with 209 to the front and adrenaline pumping.

He made it to my hometown Rochester for the ‘95 Ryder Cup and played some great golf during the weekend.

I am still fascinated by a 5'9” 140# guy competing with balata golf balls and stainless Woods.

I didn't really have a point to make, just reflecting. My dad and I always loved watching Pavin...he was cool as ice.

I remember watching Sunday coverage with Pops. He was rooting on Pavin; while 15 yr old downlowkey was naively pulling for Greg Norman (my circa '95 golfing hero).

Me: "There's no way Pavin makes par on #18 coming in with a 4 wood"

Pops: "Oh yes he will"

Me: "No chance"

Pops: "If he doesn't make par I'll give you $10 - if he does, you wash my truck"

Me: "Deal"

a few moments pass...

Pops: "You know where we keep the bucket... don't forget the roof"

I've been a big Corey Pavin fan ever since. Rrrrrrrespect!

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I wanted a set of those VAS irons sooooo bad.

absolutely LOVE how he ran up to see the result.... 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I remember watching Sunday coverage with Pops. He was rooting on Pavin; while 15 yr old downlowkey was naively pulling for Greg Norman (my circa '95 golfing hero).

Me: "There's no way Pavin makes par on #18 coming in with a 4 wood"

Pops: "Oh yes he will"

Me: "No chance"

Pops: "If he doesn't make par I'll give you $10 - if he does, you wash my truck"

Me: "Deal"

a few moments pass...

Pops: "You know where we keep the bucket... don't forget the roof"

I've been a big Corey Pavin fan ever since. Rrrrrrrespect!

Love that story.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Interesting he comes up now, I was reading the article about the Cleveland VAS irons he won with just yesterday. Those things were certainly unique, but he obviously made them work.

Mustache and Cleveland Vas(ectomy) Irons are the first two things I think of when I think of Corey Pavin.

I remember when those irons came out, they were so different, just very strange looking but also looked purposeful. It really seemed like they were engineered to perform, while every other cavity back club was really just a Eye 2 copy.

But no one I know played those. I remember a guy at the pro shop calling them the Cleveland Vasectomy Irons and my buddies and I having a laugh at that. No way we were gonna play those after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Pavin's game from junior golf on through the decades was relatively short carry, low trajectory straight tee shots, accurate iron play, steady wedge game, and a consistent, some times red hot, putting game.

There is no reason a player with a style of game similar to Pavin's can't emerge to win Tour events. I hope to see it happen because these days too much golf talk and media hype is about "distance" .

Sounds like how Zach Johnson won the Masters...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Of course - short hitter - is relative. Greg Maddox didn't through very hard either - for an MLB all star.

Have you seen an 88 mph fastball live? It's faster than it looks like on TV and it hurts when it hits you or if you catch it wrong. I've done both.

I saw Pavin play live enough to know that he was longer than you think just not very long compared to the guys he played against.

Norman has 7 iron where Pavin had 4 wood in that day. The hole has been lengthened 20 yards and unless there's a strong wind the entire field will have less than 7 iron in.

I enjoyed Corey's win - I was there for Ray Floyd's win in ‘86.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

He was sneaky long at that time.Just like many pros that focus more on accuracy vs distance.He could easily squeak out 20 plus yards if needed.Still long enough to reach most par 5's in two during that era

Good comparison. Zach's style of play is very similar to Pavin's.

Before them , through the 70's and 80's, John Mahaffey had a successful Tour career with a style of play similar to Pavin. Mahaffey was very focused on hitting fairways off the tee, he developed his swing for accuracy, not distance. Calvin Peete played that style as well.

So did Larry Nelson - hit the fairway, hit the green and if the putts drop, get the trophy - if not try again next week - at least no one was shooting at him.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Pavin is one of the best examples of a sportsman knowing his game and owning it, despite it not being necessarily pretty to watch.

I love the fact he just did what he did and ignored the noise around him.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I was always a big Greg Norman fan but I was absolutely delighted for Corey when he finally won a major. He had been so close for so long and had always been such a great competitor.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I am the same height, weight, and age as Corey Pavin. At the time he won his Open I was hitting my clubs the same distance as he did (I've fallen behind since, but Corey hasn't had two back surgeries). He was my "cold slap in the face" that I didn't need to hit it farther to get better, I needed to hit it better to get better. While I'd still love to hit it farther, I know that's not what's going to lower my handicap.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Hitting it farther is huge but there is such a thing as far enough. The average distance on the LPGA is 245 - that's certainly far enough to get to scratch or better. Our two LPGA players are a plus 3 and a plus 2 handicap at our course playing from 7200 yards. Not surprisingly both are above average distance wise - one is longer than lots of guys on the PGA tour - she's actually longer than Nicklaus or Norman in their prime - think about that for a moment.

While speed kills today I do miss the day when there was a far greater variety to guys games. You could win hitting it 250 - Corey Pavin, Larry Nelson or 280 plus Greg Norman, John Daly.

That's all gone now - too bad - I've learned to live with it.

I'm hoping to get back up to 230 plus off the tee - do that and I can get close to scratch from the tees that I'm expected to play from because it's long enough.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived