TESTERS WANTED! ×

Laser Range Finder vs Hand Held GPS vs GPS Watch

Hi all,

I'm interested to know what everyone's experience is with laser range finders, hand held GPS, or a GPS Watch.

I've dialed in the distances for my clubs at the range but sometimes misjudge the distance when i'm on the course. What are your positive and negative experiences with these?

Driver: Ping G5 (9°, Regular Flex)

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 (Regular Flex)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 (52°, 56°, 60°)

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Spider S 

Dexterity: Left-Handed

Handicap: 24

Nothing buy positive experiences for me.

I have a Bushnell Neo X watch that I use for front/middle/back yardages (I put it on my golf bag because I don't like wearing it on my wrist) and I have my bushnell Tour V3 so I can shoot the pin or other distances i need.  I also love the laser for being able to get yardages on driving ranges

Laser range finder - great when you have line of sight. Good when you want to shoot distances to an object. For me they were generally too big to fit in my pocket especially when I wanted to get distances when I was inside 100 yards. If you walk this isn't really an issue.

Handheld is good for distances and a few provide distance to hazards. I like mine since it fits in my pocket. I have the bushnell neo ghost. Multiple types of handhelds some just show distances like the one I have while others show the holes layout. I guess you could include phone gps systems in this category. Generally it is about what you are willing to put in you pocket.

I don't like to wear a watch when I play so I don't have much experience with in course play but they work like a small handheld

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I use the Garmin S2 watch and enjoy just being able to walk to my ball and get the front, middle, and back yardage. I'm not completely dialed in to execute a 146yd shot vs a 144yd shot, so the general numbers help from the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Use a combination of LRF and GPS and have done so for years.

I find having my small GPS attached to the cart useful for knowing the approximate F,M,B of greens. I use my LRF for shooting a pin and then referencing the GPS to determine the approximate location of the pin. ie... is the pin closer to the front or back for example. How much green do I have to work with. Things like that.

My LRF is handy also for shooting fairway bunkers, hazards, trees, structures, etc.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I wear a GPS watch - TomTom Golfer - that also gives you distances to the intermediate hazards on each hole. I've compared it to other players' laser #s and to markers on the course and found it to be very accurate. I like the no-fuss convenience of having the essential #s right there.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Hi all,

I'm interested to know what everyone's experience is with laser range finders, hand held GPS, or a GPS Watch.

I've dialed in the distances for my clubs at the range but sometimes misjudge the distance when i'm on the course. What are your positive and negative experiences with these?

There's a great article right here on MGS for the #1 Rangefinders for 2018 if you need something to go by for rangefinders.

I myself have only used a GPS "Golf Buddy" Voice that I've kept in my pocket and shows me the front, center, and back of the green, you could also measure how far you hit a shot.  Downside battery only lasted about 2 rounds and needed charging again.  You can't replace the battery so after 2 seasons it starts to drains faster and does not last as long.  You can clip it on your hat or on your belt, purchase an accessory to wear it like a watch as well.

If you want accuracy go with the rangefinder, if you want general yardages handheld GPS like the above should do fine.  GPS watches I do not like because I don't like have anything on my wrist when I play.

Good luck to you, as I am in search of a good rangefinder as well.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I prefer the laser rangefinder. Bought my first one this spring (Precision Pro NX7) and have loved it so far. I feel like I can swing my wedges so much more confidently knowing the exact distances. I have used the Bushnell Neo Ghost which if I remember right gives you front/mid/back distances and I also use The Grint and Golfshot GPS app.

If you have a blind shot I will use the phone GPS app, it also helps with carry distances to bunkers or water but everything else I prefer laser. I will use it to shoot trees or objects at the edge of fairway, I also use it a lot on the range.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2
3 Wood: Titleist 904 F
Hybrid: 21 deg Cobra Baffler
4i-PW: Titleist 718 AP2
Wedges: Cleveland CG10 in 54 and 60 deg
Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

Most of the guys I play with wear a GPS watch and also carry a laser range finder, the combination works great.

My watch is a Garmin brand my laser is a Nikon Coolshot 20. :)

+1. Lasers are great for line of sight, GPS for everything else. I have a Bushnell 1500 the that has been commandeered by my wife. I currently use the Precision pro NX 7 Pro. Great unit with slope for a great price and a skycaddie sg5 or the Android version of golf logic. I have 2 years left on the skycaddie subscription at which point I'll use something free.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I have both a rangefinder and a golf watch.  I use a Leupold hunting range finder.  I have used it since I started playing golf about 2 years ago.  My problem with the rangefinder is it is hard to shoot a flag at long distances. 

About 2 weeks ago I bought a Garmin Approach s20.  It is a basic gps watch, but I love it.  It tells me the range to front, middle, and back. That is more than enough information for me.  I can always get distances no matter how far away I am.  It only works on the course though.  You can't shoot distances when you are practicing.  The S20 costs about $130.  I found a 20% discount for Dick's and picked it up for $100.  Best thing I have bought in a while.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the watch first.  If you want exact distances to pins, choose a good rangefinder made for golf.  The ones that do slopes are awesome.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

I'm a GPS watch kind of guy. Besides my wife took my rangefinder

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

LRF for me, except when my daughter takes it out of my bag and forgets to give it back. Then it's GPS on the phone (Arccos). I play a course that does not give you any indication of pin position, so it's nice to have the GPS to see whether it's front, middle or back.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Laser for all shots to the green, handheld GPS for punchouts and layups to correct yardages.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Honestly, they're all good, but if you want the most accurate you have to do a laser range finder. Relying on GPS is an easy way to be a club off all day and completely ruin a round. As easy as a gps is, it's not reliable

I've got a Skycaddy watch and a range finder. When I'm smart enough to use both the info they provide makes a real difference. My course has a lot of front of green bunkering to carry so knowing the flag yardage is great but I need to know the yardage to cover in a lot of places as well.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I've used all three at one time or another and all are helpful - I currently use the laser - most guys that I play with have a watch so I get the best of both worlds.

If I had to choose one it would be the watch - I was always forgetting my golf buddy and eventually left it somewhere and it was not turned in. (A posh private club in Tampa no less). As others have said the laser can get blocked and at times catching intermediate distances is problematic.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

+1. Lasers are great for line of sight, GPS for everything else. I have a Bushnell 1500 the that has been commandeered by my wife. I currently use the Precision pro NX 7 Pro. Great unit with slope for a great price and a skycaddie sg5 or the Android version of golf logic. I have 2 years left on the skycaddie subscription at which point I'll use something free.

MDGolfHacker

We'd agree with this. Both GPS units and laser rangefinders have their uses. If you were going to choose one, we'd probably pick a laser rangefinder... but we admit that we're a little biased.  ;)

Precision Pro Golf

Use Discount Code MYGOLFSPY20 for $20 OFF.

#swingwithconfidence #hitmoregreens

www.precisionprogolf.com

My negatives have always been stuff I could've avoided had I been smarter in a given situation.

(WARNING PERSONAL OPINION BELOW!)

Nothing's perfect keep the batteries good on all 3, acknowledge that weather will effect each one in different ways, and you get what you pay for. Remember those 3 things and all it comes down to is which one you like best.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I've been using the Apple Watch 3 this season and I prefer that.  Like some previous posts, I'm not good enough yet to have my irons dialed in to +/- 5 yards so I just need general front/middle/back. I'm also not good enough to be in the fairway as much as I'd like, so laser rangefinders don't work when I can't see the green.

The apple watch 3 is great because it can connect to data and stand-alone from your phone so you don't need to keep your phone in your pocket. I also use The Grint app which gives me GPS distance and tracks my scores then uploads directly from the watch.  Been happy with it this year, not so much my game! I never wore a watch (golfing or otherwise) and now it feels natural and not obtrusive at all.

Bought a S20 on closeout here when Golfsmith was closing here in Vegas. Fantastic purchase, battery lasts for weeks unless you play a lot then it drops to needing charging once a week. Yardages are spot on compared to lasers. Also water resistent to 25 meters.

Only negative is if band breaks, you have to order online from Garmin at $30. You can't walk into a watch store and get it replaced, found that out a few weeks ago.

I currently have a Garmin S20 as my primary golf watch and a Fénix 3 when I forget the S20.

My GPS units have been invaluable to me so far, especially for myself who just started. Getting yardage is quick and easy. With the S20 I can change pin positions and get more accurate yardage but if I don't want to do that I get Front-Middle-Back if the green which is sufficient most days. I haven't lost GPS signal yet and it doubles as a scorecard which I love. The Garmin app has its downsides but it tracks strokes and club used along with yardage hit which is a plus.

The one downside I have experienced is that when playing a course with a lot of levels the yardage isn't as accurate. Getting a handle on better distance with slope would be a great benefit. Otherwise thought the gps units are great and would wholeheartedly recommend them. They haven't hurt my game and have only helped.

I have an older Garmin G6 handheld GPS. Still works great. Couple things I like about it.

1. Don't like watches. I have this clipped to the cart strapped when I ride, or to the bag strap when walking. Access is just as easy as a watch. 

2. I don't belong to a club, so I play plenty of different courses. I can get a good visual of each hole I am playing. 

3. Love marking fairway bunkers and hazards to get a distance from the tee.

4. Like the "green" button to immediately show a close up of the green, front, middle and back yardage. Then I can move the pin around on the green to approximate location. Love this feature.

5. Waterproof and drop proof. When I grab it and a few clubs from the cart, I walk to my ball, get the yardage and then just drop it on the ground. Never any issues. 

I know the GPS watches can do many of these things, but having all the info right in front of you on a small screen vs. multiple watch screens and buttons is a benefit for me. 

Ping G30 driver 9 degree

Ping G25 3-wood

Mizuno CLK hi-fli hybrid 17 degree

Ping i20 4-AW  black dot steel stiff

Ping Gorge 56ss 60ss

Ping Anser Sigma G

I've used all 3. Hand held gps bs watch is personal preference imo...I prefer hand held vs watch. I like using this for front, middle and back distance on the green to help me judge the type of shot I want to hit into the green and also for picking distance I want to lay up to on par 5 or off the tee on par 4s.

The laser is nice to shot targets both the pin and objects off the tee to determine potential trouble.

A combo of gps and laser would be my preferred method. This year I've been trying to rely on them less and use distance markers and feel for my shots

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Use a combination of LRF and GPS and have done so for years.

I find having my small GPS attached to the cart useful for knowing the approximate F,M,B of greens. I use my LRF for shooting a pin and then referencing the GPS to determine the approximate location of the pin. ie... is the pin closer to the front or back for example. How much green do I have to work with. Things like that.

My LRF is handy also for shooting fairway bunkers, hazards, trees, structures, etc.

Exactly what I have been doing for several years.  I have a Bushnell Tour V3 that I got as a present a few years ago, and I have been using a Golf Buddy Tour GPS for maybe 6-7 years.  Both work great.  My wife likes the laser, but will occasionally ask for F or B number.  I will usually use only the GPS when walking my course with the guys at the club.  I know the course well, and the F, M, B numbers are good enough for my game.

Hi all,

To @Hicks... how did you dial in your distances on the range?  Did you use the balls that you normally play with?  If you used range balls, it's no wonder that you have been misjudging distances on the course.  Range balls typically fly about 85% of new golf balls, and there is a lot of variation in how far they fly depending on their quality and how many times they have been in a bucket.  It's best to find a day when a course is relatively open, head to a long, straight hole (preferably one without hazards  ;)), and hit multiple gamer balls with each club.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've used a bunch of different GPS products, I started with a Calloway GPS which they quit making/supporting.  Then I bought a cheap Break 80 laser range finder but it wasn't that great unless there were reflectors on the flag sticks, I've tried Golf Logix Swing x Swing but it drains my phone and I get spotty reception. 

I just bought a Nikon Golf Coolshot 80VR Laser Rangfinder, only have used it for one round but I like it, you push the button and it stabilizes the field of view and then locks on pretty good.  I laser range finders 90% of the time, obviously doesn't work well in foggy conditions or without line of sight...I just wing it old school in those situations.

Driver: :titelist-small: - Titelist 917D - 9.5* - Rogue Max X-Stiff
3W: :titelist-small: - Titelist - 917F - Rogue Max Stiff
Hybrid :titelist-small: - Titelist - H1 3H - Stiff
Irons:  Mizuno MP54 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold
Wedges:  Cleveland 588 RTX 50.10, 54.8, 58.12 True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Monterey California 1.5 - 34in
Ball: :taylormade-small: Taylor Made Tp5x
Loc: USA/OR, Handicap: 12
RH, Irons 1 degree flat

For years I used a variety of apps on my phone - favorite being Skydroid because I can map courses myself with whatever points of interest (trees, hazards, dogleg, etc.) I want. Accuracy was okay, but it really just depended on the phone model I was using and how the course was mapped.

A couple years back I experimented with the Bushnell Tour V3 laser rangefinder. I liked it, but felt that it slowed me down a little so I wound up selling it and picked up a Garmin Approach S2 as soon as the prices dropped on them. 

The S2 was a good GPS watch and allowed me to very quickly see how far I had to the front, middle, and back of each green. The only issues I ever had with it was 1) it used plastic instead of glass over the face and 2) the battery only seemed to be good for 2 rounds max. I tested the S2 against laser rangefinders a few times and it was always within a yard or two on the courses around here.

Fast forward to now and I've made the switch back to a Bushnell laser rangefinder for one reason - the ability to pick up true yardages at the driving range. I don't use it much for longer distances, but it's helped tremendously with my short game. I'll use it to pick out various targets within 100 yards and practice hitting to them with different clubs and trajectories. I still think it's a little slower to use on the course than a GPS watch, but it offers a lot more versatility.

Also, I use a compass to get the "true" pin locations  :D

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I'm really surprise at how many are using both GPS and Laser Range Finders. I get "slagged" by my pals for using both. I'm a bit of a Technophile and I have a Skycaddie Touch,  Garmin Approach G3, Bushnell Neo Ion Watch, Shot Scope v2 and a Nikon Coolshot.

On competition days I usually play with the Skycaddie and the Nikon Coolshot. The Skycaddie mounted on my electric trolley so I'm checking the distance and hazard carries as I arrive at my ball.

GPS in general have an advantage when you have a lot of blind shots, elevated greens, etc. The handhelds GPS will give you a view of the hole with hazards and in some cases green contours. The handhelds in general tend to have more options, like scorecard view, club distances, elevation.

The 2 watches I use when I'm carrying my clubs, I find this less fuss. Again I like to already have the distance in my head when I arrive at my ball.

The LRF is used when I'm unsure if the pin is back front or centre to give me exact yardage. At my home course the greens are quite small and at the moment you can't stop the ball on them if you fly them to the green so I'm not really using it. When I playing away from home the LRF is more useful GPS won't give you yardages to unmapped obstructions or exact yardages on large greens so you could be 10 yds out.

Finally on back to GPS, Skycaddie market themselves as the number 1 due to them mapping the courses by walking them. And my experience is that they are the most accurate and up to date of the 4 GPS devices I have. The other 3 use commercially available satellite maps. On green centre they can vary by a couple of yards but on front and back as much as 5 yds difference. Also the maps used can be 4 or 5 years old. At my course they have removed and changed a lot of bunkers Skycaddie has updated this but the other 3 haven't

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I use the rangefinder. I was quite shaky and since i went to Leopold, I get the pin instantaneously. I also use it extensively on scanning the fairway to see distances and where I want to hit.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

• 1 month later...

I posted this under the start of a new topic today before I noticed this thread.  Here's what I wrote:

I purchased a Garmin Approach watch a couple of years ago and had recently been considering whether to keep what I had or switch to a laser rangefinder.  Yes, I'm a sucker for electronic gadgets!

But when Costco had the new Garmin X40 for about $50 off the regular selling price, I jumped at it.  What appealed to me most was the ability to upload my round to an app that would show a graphic of each hole, where I hit my shot, along with my choice of club and distance.

After the watch 'knows' when you've hit a shot, it asks you to input the club you used (for convenience, it suggests the club based upon your prior input).

But... it IS a lot of fiddling around.  And sometimes I'll forget to input information after each shot.  You do have the option, afterwards, to input the information post-round.

All that being said, I then broke down during Amazon Prime days and purchased the NX7 Pro Rangefinder as well.  And I've got to say that I find myself relying on the rangefindermore than the watch.  I know I'm getting a precise reading rather than an estimate.  And, unless I'm taking a reading to an obstacle, my only need to know distances as on my approach shot.

So, usually what I do now is to turn on my watch.  Refer to it occasionally for general distances.  But, if I had to use just one of the two for my round, it would be the rangefinder, hands down.

Both are good products.  If you don't mind fidgeting a bit in between shots, it's kind of fun to review your entire round in your leisure.  But, the less time-consuming and more accurate is the Rangefinder.  And I think that the NX7 Pro is a great product and a reasonable cost.

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

Archived