TESTERS WANTED! ×

Laser Range Finder vs Hand Held GPS vs GPS Watch

I have only used my "new-to-me" Bushnell Pro1600 since getting it off of eBay for a mere $65 last November. It holds up well, is pretty darned accurate so I use it a lot. I had an app on my phone that I never played a round with-literally. It seems to have been deleted. I just couldn't bring myself to be stuck in my phone while out on the course-seems wrong somehow...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I wear a Garmin Approach S20 on my wrist and use that not only for GPS distances but also to track my score and shots. In tournaments I will pull out my laser rangefinder for an exact number, but on casual rounds I go with whatever numbers the Garmin is giving me. I also just use the laser in my captains choice weekly scramble on Tuesday nights, as I just need a number on approach shots for our group and don't even turn on the GPS on Tuesday nights.

I only use the rangefinder in tournaments because I found it takes too much time to shoot and get a number in a casual round, mostly because the GPS gives me a good enough number to pull a club from.

I used to use a GPS app on my phone to get yardage and track my score, but man what a pain in the arse it is and such a time waster. The argument for using the mobile app is that most of them are free when you download them, at least for the basics of getting yardage and tracking score. That worked for me until I invested in the laser and now have the Garmin. I doubt I'll ever go back to a mobile app, unless my Garmin one day stops working, which with all electronic gadgets is only a matter of time.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I use both a GPS and laser range finder. I like shooting a pin and knowing how much I have to the back or front from the pin yardage.

I have an old bushnell laser - must be 10 years old - but I figure the speed of light hasn't changed in 10 years

I have a Bushnell neo ghost GPS that I really like. Large display. Extremely light. Put in your pocket or leave in your cart.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I like using both in conjunction with one another. The laser is great out of the fairway and when I have a clear view at the flag. The course I play has a lot of hills with blind pins. The watch helps me with a general distance to these greens. I am also in the trees more than I would like to admit😳, so the rangefinder won't give me a reading because the are tree limbs in the way. That is another time I use the watch to see a general distance.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have used GPS for years. The original SkyCaddie with it's Soviet era design, and later the Geo X watch, and also phone apps. Absolutely they made a huge difference in my game.

HOWEVER!!!! I am currently in the testing of the Precision Pro NX7 Pro Laser Range Finder. This has absolutely changed my game. By that I mean, before it was always I was playing to a range. Now, I am firing at the flag.

I won't go into all the details here because I am still writing my review, but GPS is like firing artillery. you just want to get it in a certain area. Laser Range Finder is like shooting a tank or a rifle. You are aiming at a precise spot. This really doesn't make a lot of difference if you are outside your effective range. I don't care if I am 208 or 218 from the flag. Front, Middle, Back is good enough in that range. But I do care if I am 98 or 108 from the flag.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

^^ This! I forgot to mention that earlier. The difference from 40-60 for me has been huge. It has allowed me to actually know how to hit each shot. I now have my 40,45... swing instead of a 40-60 swing. That has been where the rangefinder has shaved the most shots off my game.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I use my Nikon Coolshot 80i VR laser rangefinder for distances to the pins, trees, traps, etc on-course, and on the range. I have Golfshot running on my phone via the app for scoring, and hole info when I'm playing a new course. I tried the watch when I was testing one for MGS and I didn't like it at all. I used to have Skycaddie handhelds until phone apps came out. Laser 99% of the time for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I used GPS exclusively for years and years, my Garmin G6 was a trusted companion. But all it took was a couple of wonky readings for me to research and then purchase a rangefinder.

In the past year and maybe 80 rounds since, I've only turned on the G6 a few times and that was to just compare yardage out of curiosity and/or mark distances with a particular club. The precision of laser removes all doubt in my mind so it'll be my very first choice moving forward.

I'll keep the GPS as a tool for those blind shots on new to me courses but so far I just haven't faced a challenge demanding its help.

It has allowed me to actually know how to hit each shot. I now have my 40,45... swing instead of a 40-60 swing. That has been where the rangefinder has shaved the most shots off my game.

This is it exactly. Tune into my NX7 Pro review to be posted on 8/20 for more of this sermon.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I used GPS exclusively for years and years, my Garmin G6 was a trusted companion. But all it took was a couple of wonky readings for me to research and then purchase a rangefinder.

In the past year and maybe 80 rounds since, I've only turned on the G6 a few times and that was to just compare yardage out of curiosity and/or mark distances with a particular club. The precision of laser removes all doubt in my mind so it'll be my very first choice moving forward.

I'll keep the GPS as a tool for those blind shots on new to me courses but so far I just haven't faced a challenge demanding its help.

This is actually a legitimate concern with GPS devices. This is also one of the reasons why I keep my rangefinder on standby, especially at a course I don't normally play. The GPS (I assume) is based on course mapping that may be outdated, and if the course has changed at all, the GPS won't be accurate.

I remember a course I played a few years ago and my GPS was throwing me numbers on holes that didn't make any sense whatsoever, and actually cost me a number of strokes as I was missclubbing left and right. I think it took me about 5 or 6 holes to figure out that the nines had been switched on the course, so what I had for hole #1 was actually distance to hole #10.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've been using the Apple Watch 3 this season and I prefer that. Like some previous posts, I'm not good enough yet to have my irons dialed in to +/- 5 yards so I just need general front/middle/back. I'm also not good enough to be in the fairway as much as I'd like, so laser rangefinders don't work when I can't see the green.

The apple watch 3 is great because it can connect to data and stand-alone from your phone so you don't need to keep your phone in your pocket. I also use The Grint app which gives me GPS distance and tracks my scores then uploads directly from the watch. Been happy with it this year, not so much my game! I never wore a watch (golfing or otherwise) and now it feels natural and not obtrusive at all.

The Apple Watch 3 doesn't have GPS, everything has to run through your phone, so your phone has to be nearby in order for the app to run. So how do you use a gps app without your phone nearby?? I am looking for an app, where it gives me Front, middle, and back yardage's. Showing hazards would be good to.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Garmin G8 and love it. I can see what the hole looks like before I play it. I like to play fast so I prefer just being able to look at my distance and hit my shot. I do miss having a laser range finder for the driving range though to get a better feel for my club distances.

Sent from my VS995 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 months later...

I've been using my GB Voice 2 for about a month now and really like it.  A quick glance tells me front/middle/back yardages.  No more looking for markers and pacing off distance. About the only negative is short battery life.  A full charge may or may not get you through two full rounds.  I charge mine after every round.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived