Laser Range Finder vs Hand Held GPS vs GPS Watch

Hi all,

I'm interested to know what everyone's experience is with laser range finders, hand held GPS, or a GPS Watch.

I've dialed in the distances for my clubs at the range but sometimes misjudge the distance when i'm on the course. What are your positive and negative experiences with these?

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G5 (9°, Regular Flex)

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 (Regular Flex)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 (52°, 56°, 60°)

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Spider S 

Dexterity: Left-Handed

Handicap: 24

Nothing buy positive experiences for me.

I have a Bushnell Neo X watch that I use for front/middle/back yardages (I put it on my golf bag because I don't like wearing it on my wrist) and I have my bushnell Tour V3 so I can shoot the pin or other distances i need.  I also love the laser for being able to get yardages on driving ranges

• Like 3

CC5 sig.png

Laser range finder - great when you have line of sight. Good when you want to shoot distances to an object. For me they were generally too big to fit in my pocket especially when I wanted to get distances when I was inside 100 yards. If you walk this isn't really an issue.

Handheld is good for distances and a few provide distance to hazards. I like mine since it fits in my pocket. I have the bushnell neo ghost. Multiple types of handhelds some just show distances like the one I have while others show the holes layout. I guess you could include phone gps systems in this category. Generally it is about what you are willing to put in you pocket.

I don't like to wear a watch when I play so I don't have much experience with in course play but they work like a small handheld

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I use the Garmin S2 watch and enjoy just being able to walk to my ball and get the front, middle, and back yardage. I'm not completely dialed in to execute a 146yd shot vs a 144yd shot, so the general numbers help from the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        :taylormade-small: TP5x

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Use a combination of LRF and GPS and have done so for years.

I find having my small GPS attached to the cart useful for knowing the approximate F,M,B of greens. I use my LRF for shooting a pin and then referencing the GPS to determine the approximate location of the pin. ie... is the pin closer to the front or back for example. How much green do I have to work with. Things like that.

My LRF is handy also for shooting fairway bunkers, hazards, trees, structures, etc.

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I wear a GPS watch - TomTom Golfer - that also gives you distances to the intermediate hazards on each hole. I've compared it to other players' laser #s and to markers on the course and found it to be very accurate. I like the no-fuss convenience of having the essential #s right there.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..MLA Tour XDream (33", +2up, 400g, P2 Reflex Tour)
.. .. see MLA Offical Forum Member Reviews (..on the bench: Evnroll ER5)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Hi all,

I'm interested to know what everyone's experience is with laser range finders, hand held GPS, or a GPS Watch.

I've dialed in the distances for my clubs at the range but sometimes misjudge the distance when i'm on the course. What are your positive and negative experiences with these?

There's a great article right here on MGS for the #1 Rangefinders for 2018 if you need something to go by for rangefinders.

I myself have only used a GPS "Golf Buddy" Voice that I've kept in my pocket and shows me the front, center, and back of the green, you could also measure how far you hit a shot.  Downside battery only lasted about 2 rounds and needed charging again.  You can't replace the battery so after 2 seasons it starts to drains faster and does not last as long.  You can clip it on your hat or on your belt, purchase an accessory to wear it like a watch as well.

If you want accuracy go with the rangefinder, if you want general yardages handheld GPS like the above should do fine.  GPS watches I do not like because I don't like have anything on my wrist when I play.

Good luck to you, as I am in search of a good rangefinder as well.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I prefer the laser rangefinder. Bought my first one this spring (Precision Pro NX7) and have loved it so far. I feel like I can swing my wedges so much more confidently knowing the exact distances. I have used the Bushnell Neo Ghost which if I remember right gives you front/mid/back distances and I also use The Grint and Golfshot GPS app.

If you have a blind shot I will use the phone GPS app, it also helps with carry distances to bunkers or water but everything else I prefer laser. I will use it to shoot trees or objects at the edge of fairway, I also use it a lot on the range.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917 D2
3 Wood: Titleist 904 F
Hybrid: 21 deg Cobra Baffler
4i-PW: Titleist 718 AP2
Wedges: Cleveland CG10 in 54 and 60 deg
Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

Most of the guys I play with wear a GPS watch and also carry a laser range finder, the combination works great.

My watch is a Garmin brand my laser is a Nikon Coolshot 20. :)

+1. Lasers are great for line of sight, GPS for everything else. I have a Bushnell 1500 the that has been commandeered by my wife. I currently use the Precision pro NX 7 Pro. Great unit with slope for a great price and a skycaddie sg5 or the Android version of golf logic. I have 2 years left on the skycaddie subscription at which point I'll use something free.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

I have both a rangefinder and a golf watch.  I use a Leupold hunting range finder.  I have used it since I started playing golf about 2 years ago.  My problem with the rangefinder is it is hard to shoot a flag at long distances. 

About 2 weeks ago I bought a Garmin Approach s20.  It is a basic gps watch, but I love it.  It tells me the range to front, middle, and back. That is more than enough information for me.  I can always get distances no matter how far away I am.  It only works on the course though.  You can't shoot distances when you are practicing.  The S20 costs about $130.  I found a 20% discount for Dick's and picked it up for $100.  Best thing I have bought in a while.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the watch first.  If you want exact distances to pins, choose a good rangefinder made for golf.  The ones that do slopes are awesome.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

I'm a GPS watch kind of guy. Besides my wife took my rangefinder [emoji39]

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 ODYSSEY ARM-LOCK 2-BALL TEN 

LRF for me, except when my daughter takes it out of my bag and forgets to give it back. Then it's GPS on the phone (Arccos). I play a course that does not give you any indication of pin position, so it's nice to have the GPS to see whether it's front, middle or back.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Laser for all shots to the green, handheld GPS for punchouts and layups to correct yardages.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :cobra-small: RADSPEED, Fujikura Motore 70 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour STiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: KING Black 50°, 54°, 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black 7

Honestly, they're all good, but if you want the most accurate you have to do a laser range finder. Relying on GPS is an easy way to be a club off all day and completely ruin a round. As easy as a gps is, it's not reliable

I've got a Skycaddy watch and a range finder. When I'm smart enough to use both the info they provide makes a real difference. My course has a lot of front of green bunkering to carry so knowing the flag yardage is great but I need to know the yardage to cover in a lot of places as well.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I've used all three at one time or another and all are helpful - I currently use the laser - most guys that I play with have a watch so I get the best of both worlds.

If I had to choose one it would be the watch - I was always forgetting my golf buddy and eventually left it somewhere and it was not turned in. (A posh private club in Tampa no less). As others have said the laser can get blocked and at times catching intermediate distances is problematic.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

+1. Lasers are great for line of sight, GPS for everything else. I have a Bushnell 1500 the that has been commandeered by my wife. I currently use the Precision pro NX 7 Pro. Great unit with slope for a great price and a skycaddie sg5 or the Android version of golf logic. I have 2 years left on the skycaddie subscription at which point I'll use something free.

MDGolfHacker

We'd agree with this. Both GPS units and laser rangefinders have their uses. If you were going to choose one, we'd probably pick a laser rangefinder... but we admit that we're a little biased.  ;)

• Like 7

Precision Pro Golf

Use Discount Code MYGOLFSPY for $20 OFF.

#swingwithconfidence #hitmoregreens

www.precisionprogolf.com

My negatives have always been stuff I could've avoided had I been smarter in a given situation.

(WARNING PERSONAL OPINION BELOW!)

Nothing's perfect keep the batteries good on all 3, acknowledge that weather will effect each one in different ways, and you get what you pay for. Remember those 3 things and all it comes down to is which one you like best. [emoji1303]

• Like 3

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I've been using the Apple Watch 3 this season and I prefer that.  Like some previous posts, I'm not good enough yet to have my irons dialed in to +/- 5 yards so I just need general front/middle/back. I'm also not good enough to be in the fairway as much as I'd like, so laser rangefinders don't work when I can't see the green.

The apple watch 3 is great because it can connect to data and stand-alone from your phone so you don't need to keep your phone in your pocket. I also use The Grint app which gives me GPS distance and tracks my scores then uploads directly from the watch.  Been happy with it this year, not so much my game! I never wore a watch (golfing or otherwise) and now it feels natural and not obtrusive at all.

• Like 1