Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Backstopping

bens197

Could someone please explain this to me? The face DJ made during the presser yesterday is me right now...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpyIMG_6141.PNG

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I think it's a bunch of BS. They started talking about it on PGA Tour Live earlier in the year, and now it's a thing.

Before we know it they'll have to go mark their ball after every tee shot on par 3's, every approach shot on par 4's and 5's.

Why would a PGA Tour player want to help his OPPONENTS? If I were playing for that kind of money, you're going to earn that junk.

Identify a “problem” that didn't exist and use a high profile event to create drama. Isn't sports journalism wonderful?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The problem does exist when there is time to mark a ball as in the Ben An and John Huh case. The flagstick was pulled!!  Rule 22-1 and Decision 22/6 should have been enforced and both players DQ'ed.  It protects the field.  However, when another player is not conveniently at the green to mark a ball, a player has a right to play away, taking advantage of a backstop situation.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If they are intentionally doing it, then I agree something needs to be done to stop it.  They aren't only helping that one individual, but they are potentially hurting many other players.  I don't think anything needs to be done on approach shots, but chips and greenside bunker shots, I could see a change being made.  Now if someone wants to rush before the player has time to mark his ball, that's his business, but I could see where that would easily lead to a screwed up shot.  But if they are given a reasonable amount of time and don't bother marking, then I could see where you could penalize them to protect the rest of the field. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Jimmy walker created quite the stink when he stated on Twitter that he has no problem leave a ball unmarked to help a friend out. Went as far to say he would not leave it for someone he dislikes

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Jimmy walker created quite the stink when he stated on Twitter that he has no problem leave a ball unmarked to help a friend out. Went as far to say he would not leave it for someone he dislikes

I'll take “Things Jimmy shouldn't have said out loud for $1000” Alex.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

This is just silly. I've played golf for 30 years. PGA sectional events, college golf and friendly matches.

This was never a thing. Ever.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

When backstopping situations have occurred recently that make it appear to be blatantly obvious, people will point it out and dig into it. As awareness is raised, hopefully it is addressed and eliminated.

Jimmy Walker should have been a little smarter and not responded to the original tweet because now everyone will assume every player is backstopping/cheating.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I think the spirit of this is you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. I don't care if you leave your ball there or not. Hit the correct shot and it shouldn't matter

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

In match play, is it true that the player who is away that controls the ball (to mark or not) of the player on the green? Recently I was told an anecdote of a match in which the player chipping onto the green refused to allow his opponent to mark his ball and insisted that the away player controls the ball of the player on the green. The ruling from the clubhouse was that this was correct.

Having done no research, I rely on the forum's good graces to not mock my ignorance.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I think the spirit of this is you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. I don't care if you leave your ball there or not. Hit the correct shot and it shouldn't matter

But scratching each other's backs isn't allowed in the rules is the problem

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I don't like this thing. I liked it better when I thought these things didn't happen.

This is somewhat hard to prove though which is why I think there is so much talk about it. It's a Grey area.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Sigh, rules B.S. like this make the PGA fatiguing to watch. Change rule so that if a player having left a ball in order to potentially provide assistance to a fellow player, did so intentionally or was unreasonably slow to the green, that player would not be able to replace his ball. He must play it where it comes to rest after being struck by another player. The player striking another players ball on the green while hitting from a close range (pick a number) and didn't allow for a reasonable time for the player to mark, would incur a 1 stroke penalty on the hole.

Not many guys would be willing to give up strokes to be a 'good guy'.

The rule would not apply to tee shots on par 3s or any shot over 50 yards. 

Rounds per year: 80-90. 

Handicap: 11.6

In my Bag:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR (Adjusted 1/2 to the draw side and 8* loft)

Fairway Woods: 3 & 5 Taylormade SLDR

Irons 4-AW: Taylormade M2 (2016)

Wedges: Volkey SM6 56* and SM7 60*

Balls: ProVx - preferred, Calloway Chrome second.

Holes in one: None  ;)

Albatross: ONE!  :D

Eagles: Many

Favorite golf slogan: It's a target game, not a distance game. 

For those who think there's no impact, consider Tony Finau getting a good break last year:

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/finau-finishes-runner-after-bonus-deflection/

Tony finished a stroke ahead of Mickelson and Chesson Hadley.  If Finau's ball hadn't been stopped by Kokrak, and he takes just one more stroke, as he probably would if his binker shot had rolled another 20 feet, he ties those two.  Phil and Chesson made $100,000 less than they otherwise would have made.  I don't know if Kokrak was close enough to have marked without undue delay, but his ball made a huge difference.

Jimmy Walker said occasionally one guy will ask if he should mark.  If his competitor says no, and they agree, I believe they should be DQed, in accordance with this Decision

22/6  Competitor Requests That Ball in Position to Assist Him Not Be Lifted

Q.In stroke play, B's ball lies just off the putting green. A's ball lies near the hole in a position to serve as a backstop for B's ball. B requests A not to lift his ball. Is such a request proper?

A.No. If A and B agree not to lift a ball that might assist B, both players are disqualified under Rule 22-1.

The ball is in position to assist a player, and both players agree not to lift it.  There's no requirement for intent,  Jimmy Walker said players might make the decision to mark or not based on friendship with the other player, so they're specifically trying to tilt conditions in favor of certain people.  This isn't supposed to be a team game, there's no room for these choices.  To me, it a bad look for professional golf.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

In match play, is it true that the player who is away that controls the ball (to mark or not) of the player on the green? Recently I was told an anecdote of a match in which the player chipping onto the green refused to allow his opponent to mark his ball and insisted that the away player controls the ball of the player on the green. The ruling from the clubhouse was that this was correct.

Having done no research, I rely on the forum's good graces to not mock my ignorance.

At one time, the team with the honor in match play did have control on whether their opponent's ball could be lifted or not.  That rule is no longer, either side can require any ball to be lifted if they think it could assist a players stroke.  They can even force you to lift it if your ball could assist your own partner's stroke.

I don't like this thing. I liked it better when I thought these things didn't happen.

This is somewhat hard to prove though which is why I think there is so much talk about it. It's a Grey area.

Its a gray area until you see someone 15 feet from his ball on the green, hanging around for 30 seconds while his competitor reads a chip from 3 sides, walks up and looks in the hole, and walks back to hit his chop.  Then it becomes obvious, the ball is left there for a reason, whether its verbalized or not.  There's a decision saying that a referee may instruct a player to lift his ball in this situation.  If that player objects, that objection would be considered evidence of collusion, subjecting both players to DQ.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

But scratching each other's backs isn't allowed in the rules is the problem

I think it's a rule that is hard to prove intent. It should be made black and white. Either you must mark or must leave the ball.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I think it's a rule that is hard to prove intent. It should be made black and white. Either you must mark or must leave the ball.

Exactly

It's pretty much a no brainer make it clear - must mark, no mark or person playing the shot has the option - I like must mark.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Exactly

It's pretty much a no brainer make it clear - must mark, no mark or person playing the shot has the option - I like must mark.

I read a Paul Azinger quote, he thinks its the player who is hitting, not the player whose ball might help, that SHOULD take the responsibility.  If your ball could help me, and I have any integrity, I ask you to mark it.

But as I said up above, if the two players talk about whether to mark a ball that could assist one of them, and decide no, they're both in breach of the rule.  No intent mentioned in the Decision, just the location of the ball, and a request not to mark it.  And the penalty is DQ.  

If they don't talk at all, I agree, its hard to prove.  I'd suggest that a walking rules official could, and should, suggest to players when a ball should be marked and lifted.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Exactly

My question is must mark when? If I'm green side and my playing partner is busy raking a bunker I'm going to go ahead unless his ball is in my way. Same thing if I pitch it close from 50 yards and he's up by the green. I'm not running up there to get a coin down. Where does it become mandatory?

I think an easier solution is a variation of the old stymie rule. No balls may be marked until all players are on the green. Yes that will help at times but it will hurt at times also. Call it all rub of the green and let's move on

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

My question is must mark when? If I'm green side and my playing partner is busy raking a bunker I'm going to go ahead unless his ball is in my way. Same thing if I pitch it close from 50 yards and he's up by the green. I'm not running up there to get a coin down. Where does it become mandatory?

I think an easier solution is a variation of the old stymie rule. No balls may be marked until all players are on the green. Yes that will help at times but it will hurt at times also. Call it all rub of the green and let's move on

Sorry this isn't about us - it's about guys on tour - I'm not concerned that you and I have the capability of using a ball behind the hole as a backstop.

The rule in the book is fine as it is - just create a list cal rule for tour events -

I should have been clearer

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sorry this isn't about us - it's about guys on tour - I'm not concerned that you and I have the capability of using a ball behind the hole as a backstop.

The rule in the book is fine as it is - just create a list cal rule for tour events -

I should have been clearer

Rule just for tour events? That sounds like Bifurcation  :o :o :o

But seriously the more I think about the less I care what they do on tour. They're professionals playing for money, not some high minded concept of love or spirit of the game. Their only job is to entertain us so we keep watching.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Rule just for tour events? That sounds like Bifurcation  :o :o :o

But seriously the more I think about the less I care what they do on tour. They're professionals playing for money, not some high minded concept of love or spirit of the game. Their only job is to entertain us so we keep watching.

I feel that if it's a real problem, the players will take care of it.  The issue is to protect the field, and if backstopping gives someone an advantage that costs other money, the players will make sure a change occurs.  If they don't, then I guess it must not be a big problem.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 8 months later...
52 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Backstopping on LPGA today in Thailand... Amy Olson benefits from Ariya's ball.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/amy-olson-uses-ariya-jutanugarns-ball-backstop-celebrates-fist-bump

Yeah, it seems clear they communicated, and agreed to leave it.  I've read suggestions that it was pace of play concerns that drove the agreement, but it looks pretty bad.  Wouldn't it suck if the stroke that Amy saved kept Ariya's sister from making the cut?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, it seems clear they communicated, and agreed to leave it.  I've read suggestions that it was pace of play concerns that drove the agreement, but it looks pretty bad.  Wouldn't it suck if the stroke that Amy saved kept Ariya's sister from making the cut?

It looks like Ariya asked and Amy declined to have her mark it.  Ariya didn't protect the field on this one.

I don't see an issue. They were just trying to move things along. She looked more shocked than anything that she actually hit the ball. If her aim was that good, she'd have just hit the stick. The fist bump was more " well that wasn't the plan, but I'll take it". There was no agreement that she leaves it to help anyone. And intent is hard to prove....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I think from the video that Amy was ready to chip and didn’t want to wait for Ariya to walk all the way over there to mark her ball. It didn’t look like they were trying to get away with anything.
The chances of this happening once a round by the field of 70 to 120 players is very slim.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Archived