TESTERS WANTED! ×

I have a similar issue. I don't do it most of the time, but under pressure, I seem to come over the top and either hit a straight pull, or slice the heck out of it. Not sure if this helps, but I picked up a recent tip that is helping. As you take your stance, imagine that someone is standing on the other side of the ball and parallel to you. So, you're facing each other on opposite sides of the ball. Now, on your downswing, try to cut them off at the ankles. You'll find that your “over the top” will hit them in the shoulder. If you can cut their ankles, you're coming from the inside. Good luck.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

It's really hard, if not impossible, to retrain your trail arm to not come over the top.  It just feels powerful to do that, but it's really not.  

You need to learn to use your lead arm correctly from the top of the backswing; a combination of pulling with the lead arm and a weight transfer to your lead side.  Make a LOT of swings with lead arm only; feels awkward but it gets better the more you do it.  Then put your trail hand on the club without gripping it; just along for the ride.  Don't need to make big swings. You body needs time to get the feel of swinging from the inside.

BTW, welcome to the forums from the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

What helped me besides piercing my nipple... in the beginning of my lessons some time ago. He ask if I played baseball and said imagine you hitting a ball into left field (I'm a lefty) while tucking your elbow.

I had a tough time with the over the top move when I started playing because I was so used to baseball. I had to fix two issues, not enough weight shift and that over the top move. I am not the type of person who can use physical barriers to fix my swing. The "lay down an alignment stick" or "don't hit the waterbottle outside the ball" drills just resulted in me breaking stuff.

The best tip I ever got was, at the top of your backswing, initiate your swing with your back still facing the target. That slows you down enough to let your hands drop inside on the downswing. Once I was able to do that, I could work on the feeling of keeping my right elbow attached to my body, and things got better. But I'm a person who needs feels and body movements to improve, and it sounds like you're the same. 

I hope that helps! Once you fix that slice swing, golf becomes a lot more fun. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I got rid of my over the top by just working backwards in terms of taking practice swings or hitting 1/4 shots 1/2 shots 3/4 shots then full.  It helped me knowing what the 1/2 shot should feel like then it was easier to feel where i need to be at 3/4 to get to that good 1/2 shot, eventually the full shot will feel unnatural if you get down the fundamentally solid 1/2 or 3/4 shot. 

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

A drill that really helped me was to take a empty water bottle and lay it on the right side of the ball, if your right handed. Will help get your swing path inside out. No damage done if you hit the bottle. The visual reference really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A drill that really helped me was to take a empty water bottle and lay it on the right side of the ball, if your right handed. Will help get your swing path inside out. No damage done if you hit the bottle. The visual reference really helps.

this. Put one ahead of the ball on the left (inside side) of the ball as well. Will help get you to get the club inside. Start feeling like that trail arm will tuck against your rib cage coming down

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Start playing golf and practicing your swing by only taking the club back until your lead arm is parallel to the ground and hopefully pretty straight. That is the end of your back swing. Literally play golf that way.

You won't lose very much distance at all and it will train a much better swing that is more compact. Your consistency will go through the roof if you can actually convince your ego to play an entire round that way.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Start playing golf and practicing your swing by only taking the club back until your lead arm is parallel to the ground and hopefully pretty straight. That is the end of your back swing. Literally play golf that way.

You won't lose very much distance at all and it will train a much better swing that is more compact. Your consistency will go through the roof if you can actually convince your ego to play an entire round that way.

How do you know my swing that well?!

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

How do you know my swing that well?!

It works surprisingly well to train good mechanics on the back and down swing. Even when you can't take it anymore and work in more of your full swing, you will still find yourself choosing the shorter swings on a lot of approach shots because it is so reliable. Now that I have young kids and can't really play I should really be using it more than I do, but I have an ego problem as well.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Archived