TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing fast, hitting up on people.

Wtwilkes

Recently I was playing a round and I hit up on a couple, I truly couldn't see them, maybe they were near a tree when I struck the ball. They were on a green 345 yards away. I hit it 314 short of the green 30 yds.

My question to all of you is, how far out there should you let people get before you feel it's safe, without being that guy/girl, that says, “I can hit them, I better wait.” —> then shank. Wouldn't you think that 300+ yards is plenty? It sucks to hear people complain when you hit a great shot and your up near somebody else by accident.

They must be well beyond the longest shot you've ever hit

It's been a long time since it's happened but whenever I've hit into a group I'm as apologetic as possible. A golf ball is a dangerous weapon.

You did say you may not have seen them so you get a bit of a pass from me if that happened but do be careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Recently I was playing a round and I hit up on a couple, I truly couldn't see them, maybe they were near a tree when I struck the ball. They were on a green 345 yards away. I hit it 314 short of the green 30 yds.

My question to all of you is, how far out there should you let people get before you feel it's safe, without being that guy/girl, that says, “I can hit them, I better wait.” —> then shank. Wouldn't you think that 300+ yards is plenty? It sucks to hear people complain when you hit a great shot and your up near somebody else by accident.

In-general, I wait until they've hit their second shot. I don't hit driver on a 345 hole, so I'll still be around 100 out, no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

They must be well beyond the longest shot you've ever hit

It's been a long time since it's happened but whenever I've hit into a group I'm as apologetic as possible. A golf ball is a dangerous weapon.

You did say you may not have seen them so you get a bit of a pass from me if that happened but do be careful out there.

This is the rule of thumb I follow as well. Even if I end up being “that guy” and shanking the shot, I would rather be safe than sorry.

I have hit a into a group when I couldn't see them due to them being down a hill and in some trees. From then on, I don't hit if I know that I'm following a group and I cannot see them.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Just hit it OVER them...

I have been struck by a ball before in the arm. It sucks, granted it was a terrible banana slice that got me. I can't imagine a properly struck ball hitting me.

I know I'm capable of a bomb every once and a while, I usually let them clear the green before I play, but it isn't too busy here so it's not holding anyone else up.

345 seems reasonable unless you consistently hit that yardage, if so golf clap my man. 30 yards of runout ensures no one is going to get hurt. All that said, better to wait until they cleared. If you didn't see them, honest mistake and apologize.

Yeah I feel if your within distance there's no way you should be hitting. If I got hit with a ball in the air Becuase “they play fast” I'm hitting it right back at them. There's no excuse but if you didn't see them well it happens. As rp stated beer meal sleeve of balls.

Interesting. I like the feedback!

If had this conversation with various people playing in random groupings and it's a tossup sometimes, believe it or not. I've been hit with a properly struck ball, right in the neck actually and it hurt like hell.

I've hit the 300 yd mark a time or two. Myself if a group is within 50 yds of my planned landing area, I wait. Sometimes it forces me to hit a different club if I'm in such a hurry. I just lay up with a shorter club and usually that was the right play to begin with but hey, I'm hard headed and think I can pull off every shot I see in my head.

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I've hit the 300 yd mark a time or two. Myself if a group is within 50 yds of my planned landing area, I wait. Sometimes it forces me to hit a different club if I'm in such a hurry. I just lay up with a shorter club and usually that was the right play to begin with but hey, I'm hard headed and think I can pull off every shot I see in my head.

. You know they were beyond my average drive. And had I seen them I probably wouldn't have hit.

Not seeing someone is one thing but if you know someone is there then I wait until they are well beyond my intended area and in their cart. If I'm on a par 5 and my 3 wood can get close enough that they can hear it land I wait. On a par 4 I wait until they are in their cart driving to their 3rd shot

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I'm "that guy." I don't like it, because far more often than not my ball doesn't end up anywhere near where people were when I've waited for them, but I'd rather wait than try to apologize after hitting someone when I knew it was possible I could hit them.

Most of the guys I play with know what situations I should wait in, and they often encourage me to wait when I start with "what are the chances..."

As for not seeing them, I don't know that I've run into that one...

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Golfers need to be a responsible bunch. This is an honor game, unsupervised and not governed except for you and your personal code of ethics. I've seen too many unethical things on the golf course and you can't pass up a teaching moment. Whether it's repairing divots and ball marks, or holding your partners up from hitting because they may hit “the best shot of their life”. It it's possible they are within reach, hold back. I will hold you harmless for not being able to see them, but make sure to drive forward and apologize. I've done the same thing and I think it goes a long way and diffuses the situation. Sending an adult beverage forward also helps.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

If they are about in my landing zone, I wait until they hit and start walking then do my pre s*** routine. Plenty imo....We have a couple severe dog legs with trees where ut is easy to not see someone and hit in yo them or past. Ive got the evil eye a couple times this year, but apologize when I get the chance even if its in the bar or the parking lot.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

If you really didn't see them, then you can only apologize... I've almost hit people who were looking for a ball behind trees and their bags were also behind trees or people still behind a hill 10mins after teeing off. Honest mistakes happen.

Better safe than sorry...

On a 345 yard hole, I would probably go with a 3W for 220-230 and then a wedge.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If it's questionable if I can reach them then I wait til they move on. If someone is on the green on a par 4 and I'm on the tee then I'm hitting. On par 5s once they move on from their approaches then it's fire away

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I will always wait to hit. Now I know I'm not hitting 314 either LOL but seriously, if there's any chance of a ball coming close to someone, I wait.

Now, if someone is in the trees looking for a ball or around a dogleg and they suddenly pop out, no one is going to blame you or fault you for hitting in that circumstance. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I just wait until they have moved away from where I'm trying to go. If I think I can maybe bounce it up near the front of the green then I wait until they've cleared and moved on. Just trying to give them the same courtesy I would ask of the groups behind me.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I don't know how busy many of the golf courses are around where y'all play but around here it' common to have a 3 groups per hole, green fairway and tee. Super busy

I've been on the receiving end at least 3 times I can recall while playing with my wife. One time was harmless - similar to your situation where a guy hit a monster drive and it rolled up behind us near the green.

But 2 other times I almost felt like pummeling the guy .. and I am NOT a confrontational person. Both times we were in clear sight in the fairway waiting to take our second shots (while each person in the group on the green does their extended green reading and lining up routines), and in both cases a tee shot landed dangerously close to my wife's head.........

So yeah it really sucks to be on the receiving end.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I've been on the receiving end at least 3 times I can recall while playing with my wife. One time was harmless - similar to your situation where a guy hit a monster drive and it rolled up behind us near the green.

But 2 other times I almost felt like pummeling the guy .. and I am NOT a confrontational person. Both times we were in clear sight in the fairway waiting to take our second shots (while each person in the group on the green does their extended green reading and looking up routines), and in both cases a tee shot landed dangerously close to my wife's head.........

So yeah it really sucks to be on the receiving end.

I actually hit a woman in the head once. It was probably 25 years ago. I was on the left side of the fairway and behind a tree and they putted out and were moving about 20 yards left of the green heading toward the next tee. I was trying to sling a hook around this tree so was looking away from them trying to start it way right and I didn't see them stop to write down their scores. I accidentally pull hooked it through the tree and right at their now stationary group I went "oh sh*t, fore FORE FORE LEFT!!" Everyone in their group ducked except the wife. She looked around to see who was yelling and it ricocheted off her shoulder and into the side of her head and she went down like a sack of potatoes, I took off running toward them to see if she was ok and her husband was screaming obsenities at me the whole time. Once she realized she was ok and it just glanced off her everyone cooled off but he was understandably not interested in my explanation. Yes, she should not have looked. They probably should not have stopped off the side of the green to mess with the scorecard. But I was the one in the wrong. I should have waited until they were safely out of range instead of just probably out of range, particularly since I was trying to hit a big curve. I've never hit it within 20 yards of anyone I can see since then and I never will. Scared me half to death in that moment where I might have killed someone because I was careless.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

It happened to me a few years ago. The group behind had been on our 6 for quite a while, but the course was crowded and there was no where to go. One of the trailing group hit up, and the ball rolled right next to me as I was ready to take my second shot. I stopped, looked at the guy then picked up his ball and chucked into a creek. No more problems, and when I saw the guy at the 19th after the round I sent him a drink.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

I'm having a hard time picturing this...they were behind a tree yet on the green at the same time? 

Regardless of them being outside your "average" drive, if you have ever hit a drive close to that far, you should wait out of curtesy. If you really want to hit and keep moving, play a different shot as BigtazzGolf suggested. 

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

I've hit into people, also. It was never on purpose. Most of the time it's because I/we just don't see the them because they are over a hill that isn't visible from the tee box or they have spent an extraordinary amount of time in the woods looking for a ball, and I/we thought they were already on the next tee.

I wait on par 4's if they are anywhere around 300 yds. (I've gotten lucky a few times) total. Long par 4's of 350 and longer I/we go ahead and hit. Even on my best day with a 40 mph. wind at my back I can't hit 350...lol.

I always wait until the group ahead is "out of range". However ironically in a tournament yesterday I was jacked up because I was having a great round and hit the longest drive of my life and it sailed right over the group and landed 10-15 yards passed them. They were pissed but I'm usually a 240 carry and they were at least 270-280 away from us. No way I thought I could carry 290 EVER, unless it was seriously windy. I guess now I know it can be done with a little adrenaline, lol. I was super apologetic and bought them drinks afterwards. (Birdied the hole though lol)

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm having a hard time picturing this...they were behind a tree yet on the green at the same time?

Regardless of them being outside your "average" drive, if you have ever hit a drive close to that far, you should wait out of curtesy. If you really want to hit and keep moving, play a different shot as BigtazzGolf suggested.

I think this is a hypothetical situation, he's asking how far away do you let the group in front of you get before hitting a tee shot.

I this situation, the hole is 345 and they group in from is on the green, I would hit. Chances are if it does reach them it will be rolling up, then you apologize with a goofy smirk for hitting a 345 yard drive.

There are times when all of us are playing where you think it's safe to hit then as you hit, a cart comes flying up out of a bowl or out from behind a tree. You apologize if it came close, If you know there is a group in front of you, then waiting is the key, at least wait until you see them to make sure. If the landing area is over a hill or something, it's always good policy to wait until you see them. Also a good idea is that if possible is to leave the cart in a spot that can be seen from the tee box.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 2 weeks later...

How many of you have laser rangefinders?  It serves multiple purposes, beyond hitting the flagstick for your distance.  If I am waiting on the group in front of me to clear, and I am not sure if they are far enough away, I hit them with the laser and until it reads 325 or more, then I wait, pure and simple.

My worst experience with hitting into someone came many many years ago on a course and place I can't honestly remember.  But I was waiting for a group to clear a par 4 green, and they were leaving the green, at their carts way left of the green, when I decided to go ahead and let er rip.  Of course, I hooked the shot right at their cart, left of the green.  Luckily the ball hit the tree above them and deflected away, but I learned my lesson that day.  Not only do you wait for the green to clear, but their carts are well beyond the hole before I launch one.

My home course has other issues with stray golf balls, as it is an older tighter course, where holes parallel each other many times, and you are often facing a group on an adjacent hole and are playing your ball from your fairway when you get the "FORE" yelled while you are hitting.  I've grown so used to wayward shots that I don't even look anymore or anything.  If I get hit because someone sliced it wickedly, then so be it.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Forgive me golf gods for I have sinned. This is my first confession on this topic.

I hit OVER a group today.

Went out as a single. Spent the entire front 9 on the heels of a threesome. Thinking back to this thread, I used the sage wisdom to be patient and not rush them even though they had plenty of opportunity to let me through.

Hole 9 (pictured below) is a short-ish par 4 that turns left but the fairway dips into a deep valley at the bend. If you lay up off the tee, it's only like 150y but then 185y to the green. One yard past that and you've got an ugly downhill lie. One yard short and there's a tree in the way.

Laying up didn't work so well for me last time I played here so I pulled the big dog. Group leaving the green, wind in my face, I let it fly.

IMG_8399.JPG

As I crest the hill, I realize my mistake. Group 1, that I had been chasing, was still driving around looking for their balls. Group 2 was the group I saw leaving the green and I had only just become aware of their existence. Oops!!

I ran up to group 1 to apologize and (luckily) they had no idea I even hit up. I guess they got me back by accidentally playing my ball.

Fortunate enough for me, they were only playing 9 so I didn't need to endure the awkwardness of asking to play through after I rainbowed one over their heads.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

They didn't accidentally play your ball, they had no effing idea!! Just like 90% of the people clogging up the golf courses here. There is no accident about playing a ball that wasn't theirs! If they are driving around looking for golf balls, probably the .15¢ rack, they definitely could tell it wasn't their ball to hit. Especially if you were truvis'n it up.

Archived