TESTERS WANTED! ×

Thinking of buying a new driver

cartoverlord

I have been shopping around for a new driver. With all the new equipment, and the new looks, I just can't make up my mind. I have considered the Cobra S2, the Nike Machspeed, and the Taylormade Burner Superfast. Anyone out there have any suggestions for me? Would much appreciate the input. Thank's!

I have been shopping around for a new driver. With all the new equipment, and the new looks, I just can't make up my mind. I have considered the Cobra S2, the Nike Machspeed, and the Taylormade Burner Superfast. Anyone out there have any suggestions for me? Would much appreciate the input. Thank's!

Most drivers nowadays have enough MOI (forgiveness) in them, regardless of shape, to be more than adequate. There is little difference between a 440cc driver and a 460cc (the USGA legal limit) version. For me, it comes down to these things:

1. loft. This is a no-brainer. It's vital that this is matched up with your swing speed. If this isn't, everything else will be off.

2. face angle/face bulge. Depending on your swing mechanics, you'll want an open-faced, square, or closed-face model. Coupled with the bulge (how convex it is from heel-to-toe) it'll add another flight-correcting measurement.

3. shaft. not brand, but flex. Depending on how deep you want to get into this part, you can go extravagant with the shaft, making absolutely sure the torque and weight are perfect for you. However, so long as you get flex (and length) right- not the amount spent on it, mind you- you'll have a well-performing club.

4. grip. too many overlook this. Getting the right size and feel are vital.

5. swing weight. how heavy the head feels, so to speak. You don't want to not be able to feel the head while you swing, but you can overdo this, as well.

6. aesthetics. Seems superficial, but it can be important. If you feel good about what you're looking at, you'll perfrom better with it. If it sounds/looks bad to you, it can effect your performance. Some people don't care about this stuff, some care a lot- it's a personal preference thing.

With all that said, the only way to truly find your "it" driver is to hit-test them. Get a proper fitting- that's vital!

I just went through the fitting and testing for a driver yesterday which included all those those so can throw some of my experiences in.

I guess, first, what are you looking for out of the driver as I found they all offered something a bit different. The S2 for example is the best "feeling" club I've ever hit but I personally cannot get any distance out of the driver. I actually hit their fairway's farther but in terms of feel, it's on the top.

The Burner is great for people with swing speeds around mine (88 to 93ish with a driver) and you can really feel the extra kick the club gives to the ball. If I didn't play in Vancouver I would likely have gone with this (Vancouver courses don't have much roll after the shot. Your carry distance is about all you can count on and the extra 8-10 yards I got with this club were all roll after the fact). Easy club to shoot a draw with as well even if you're a slicer with other clubs.

The Mach speed tends to be really hit or miss with people. The shape is funky and the sound is much more of a thunk then a ting but barring very bad technique, I don't see how you can get that thing offline. I tried 13 different drivers yesterday and nothing but the VR driver was even close to the same dispertion rate. Check out the Adjustable Driver testing that MyGolfspy did, there's loads of good info about this club and others there.

Other ones to consider

TaylormadeR9 - I personally had a hard time not slicing this club but I'm told it likes a higher swing speed even for it's regular shaft flex. However when I did catch it just right, the ball flat out sailed. Not for me, but if it's works for you it should be near the top of your list.

Ping G15/K15 - Both felt nice but I had a terrible dispertion rate with these. Much like the R9, if it works for you they're golden, if they don't run away as fast as possible (The K15 model is appearently more suited to those who tend to fade the ball to get back to a straight line while the G15 is neutral).

Ping V2 Rapture - Amazing feel to this club but besure to test it with both of the shaft options. The Javln shaft has a lower kick point while the "normal" shaft is a mid kick point which will make a difference in your testing. The only reason I didn't go with this one was price point. Both the nike's were a bit straigher, a bit shorter but signifigantly cheaper.

Nike VR - The VR takes the mach speed and cranks it up a bit. It sounds better, it looks better, it has more adjustable options but it's also slightly harder to hit. Really, I don't think anything can seperate them except some testing to see which one you like better.

Titelist 909 - Classy lines with a traditional look that didn't suit me at all. However don't take my word on it as I'm a biased against titelist. There are some good reviews of this club out there that should help a fair bit. I was so negative towards the club when I picked it up that nothing good was going to happen and that's not the clubs fault.

Good luck with finding a new one. I spent ages with the fitting guy yesterday to finally get one that suits me so I know how tricky it can be.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Wait for the new line of Nike drivers, I would at least try out the machspeed Black cuz it looks so badass!

I thought nothing could look worst than the Dymo until I saw the Matchspeed, and the MS Black seems to be the first in line to inherit the throne of Ugliness..

I thought nothing could look worst than the Dymo until I saw the Matchspeed, and the MS Black seems to be the first in line to inherit the throne of Ugliness..

Personally, I have to agree... this coming from the guy who thought the original (and subsequent) SQ/SuMo's were not pretty (though I gamed the original and the SuMo 5000). Not to mention sounded not good LOL.

What would I recommend? Finding a certified fitter in your area and get fit. The name on the head doesn't matter as long as you hit it well.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Getting fitted is definitely the way to go. I was fit for my irons and it boosts my confidence at address knowing they're customized to work with my swing.

That being said, and I know this is heresy, if you don't have the time, inclination or opportunity to get fit, just grab a standard setup TaylorMade burner SuperWhatever and bash away. It's a fun club to swing and I love the acoustics.

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

I'll certainly agree with the fitting idea, but I'm also happy to simply answer your question:

The club I've seen the most people have success with in my fittings has been the Ping G15. If you haven't tried it yet, you definitely should.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 weeks later...

In the simulator I have tried the Cobra S2, Nike SQ Machseed, and The Adams Mens Speedline 9064LS. As far as feel and sound, I like the Adams and Cobra the best. The Nike didn't feel or sound very pleasing to me. Will be testing a few more out in the days, weeks to come. And will have to take these clubs to test outside on the range.

Don't overlook the tremendous work that was done by MyGolfSpy.com when they reviewed the Drivers this year.

Clash of the Adjustable Drivers

PowerBilt Review - the Longest Driver so Far!

I use the PowerBilt Air Force One and the Cobra S2. Both are long and have excellent feel.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

And the Adams was ranked #1 among all of the drivers they tested. Those mean squat though. Go to a fitter and have him fit you on a launch monitor outdoors. Don't go inside to a simulator at a big box. They can adjust the simulators to make the numbers say anything. Fin somewhere you can find the one that has the right numbers and flight with the aid of a good fitter.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 month later...

Archived