Matt Saternus

Wedge Grinding & Torching

I'm in the process of doing this to my Carnahan wedges. Time iis short nowadays so it will take me a while, but it will be done. I'm gonna strip the chrome myself because the shop wanted an obscene amount of money to do it for me. Now I ned to decide if I want to use the oil or not or just blue it without the oil.

VERY COOL.

I'd love to get into grinding my own wedges.

The next step is to find a supply of forged, over weight, raw and blank wedge heads! Then order an MS custom stamp and loft/lie bending machine.

Day 2 of indoor grind testing revealed something pretty interesting. I had read that the P grind (channel in the middle of the sole) creates a "double bounce" effect which promotes higher, softer landing shots. Seemed silly to me, but I wanted to try it anyway. Results from the mats today confirmed that what I thought was silly was in fact 100% true. I had a number of people hit the P grind against another 60* wedge and everyone hit the P grind higher. I am very eager to see (hopefully tomorrow, weather permitting) whether or not this is true on grass as well. I'm also hoping to find a practice bunker where I can see the effect that the P grind and the multi-channel grind have in the sand.

I play a P grind type Scratch wedge, called PWE, for the past five years and love it. It's the only shape I'll game. Lot's of bounce for full swings and great heel and toe grinds for opening up the face, yet still exposing bounce for soft green side conditions. Get hat bounce under the ball and watch it pop up the ball. On full swings it can bite a little but with 13° of bounce it won't stay in the ground. The trick is to make the grind have a lot of heel and toe relief with a well placed channel.

VERY COOL.

The next step is to find a supply of forged, over weight, raw and blank wedge heads! Then order an MS custom stamp and loft/lie bending machine.

I play a P grind type Scratch wedge, called PWE, for the past five years and love it. It's the only shape I'll game. Lot's of bounce for full swings and great heel and toe grinds for opening up the face, yet still exposing bounce for soft green side conditions. Get hat bounce under the ball and watch it pop up the ball. On full swings it can bite a little but with 13° of bounce it won't stay in the ground. The trick is to make the grind have a lot of heel and toe relief with a well placed channel.

I know where one can buy overweight blanks at, shoot me a PM if you're interested.

VERY COOL.

Thank you, it was fun.

I've actually got the loft/lie machine already. All I learned from this experiment (as much fun as it was), is that this is best left to the experts. Guys like JP are artists with tons of experience, I was just goofing around.

Thank you, it was fun.

I've actually got the loft/lie machine already. All I learned from this experiment (as much fun as it was), is that this is best left to the experts. Guys like JP are artists with tons of experience, I was just goofing around.

I like the way your blue oil ones turned out. Going for that look exactly. I don't really care if it us uniform or not. Gonna golf around with a few practice wedges then get the Carnahans blued. It adds a personal touch doing it myself, I enjoy doing it myself, and it saves money which I don't have a ton of for golf.

I have some scratch 1018's that I've been thinking about doing this with. Thanks for the post matt, it's a bit more enticing now!

LT59