Tour Stats: Old Grooves v. New Grooves

1. Scrambling 2009: 57.64%; 2010: 57.72

2. Proximity to Hole from 10-20 yds 2009: 6'9"; 2010: 6"8"

3. Proximity to Hole from 20-30 yds 2009: 9'6"; 2010: 9'3"

4. Approaches from Fairway (50-75yds) 2009: 16'3"; 2010: 15'8"

5. Approaches from rough (50-75yds) 2009: 22'2"; 2010: 21'6"

6. Driving distance 2009: 279.5yds; 2010: 278.6yds

7. Driving accuracy 2009: 61.77%; 2010: 61.87%

These are based on the average of all PGA Tour golfers, through ShotLink's database. It was, according to Pelz, the "first half of 2009" and "the first half of 2010" (though he doesn't give specific starting and ending tournaments).

His conclusion, paraphrased, is: we're in trouble. We amateurs, on average, don't have the time to practice the way the pros did to prepare for these new grooves. He says "I hate to say it, but the pros have learned to play around the USGA's changes, while (we'll) probably end up taking it 'on the nose' unless (we) make some wholesale changes to (our) practice habits".

Subsequently, in the "Ask Pelz" sidebar, a reader asks what to do when he's forced to change to the new grooves. Pelz's response:

"You have four options: 1) start a 'movement of the people' to ask the USGA to rescind their recent ruling on grooves and allow manufacturers to continue to make wedges with box and U-grooves in the future; 2) stock up on wedges with box or U-grooves; 3) stop playing Surlyn-covered balls (urethane balls spin more); 4) learn to play more bump-and-run shots, which aren't as dependent on spin as lobs and standard pitches.

I'm curious if #1 would work. I mean, they're supposed to be safeguarding the game for OUR best interests, not those of the ~1% of the golfing population. The average male golfer drives it 235 yards, so it's not like we're going to threaten reaching most par-5's in two if we're playing from the correct tees (definitely not for those that play the back tees to "see the whole course"). Obviously #2 is viable, but not everyone has the cash to go out and buy 5 extra PW, GW, SW and LW's to get them through 2024 (those that do, good for you! sarcasm at its finest right there). Same goes for #3- not everyone can afford $40+ every time they buy balls (of course, refurbished is a good way to go...). Some people just shouldn't play urethane balls, because of ability and/or needs other than spin; #4 is likely to happen for a great majority of golfers, but as was mentioned above, not every amateur has enough time to practice effectively, so we'll end up suffering.

*shrugs* as an amateur who really has no intention of turning pro, I couldn't care less what the USGA says one way or another. I'll play what I want, when I want and they can stuff their rule.

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

*shrugs* as an amateur who really has no intention of turning pro, I couldn't care less what the USGA says one way or another. I'll play what I want, when I want and they can stuff their rule.

But what if in, say, 3 or 4 years, the wedges we currently use are no longer available? A wedge (well, any club, I suppose) can only be refurbished so many times. If finding the exact stuff we want becomes difficult, then what? I guess we could all start using Feel wedges...

:D

It is definitely getting to be that way. If I survive the big attack, I'll be able to go out and play in the monster bunkers! :lol:

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Archived