Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Cobra KING Utility Black One Length Iron Review

robotnoises

Cobra KING Utility Black One Length Iron Review

A few months ago I purchased a slightly shop-worn Single Length Cobra King Utility Black 4-iron with the hope that I'd be getting a do-it-all club. As a 22 handicapper, I tend to end up in a wide variety of lie/angle situations. After a few rounds under my belt I feel confident in saying that this is indeed a game-changer for anyone looking for more consistency. Here's my review:

The Decision

the_decision.jpg

I have a pretty decent swing for my level of handicap. At 6'1” 190lbs, I can hit the ball decently straight and far. My problem is consistency. For every 165 yard 7-iron baby draw I hit, I tend to mix-in a few 3-inches-behind-the-ball chunkers that leave my left wrist throbbing for the rest of the afternoon. This is why I have been obsessing over the One Length concept for the past year, especially for longer irons.

For those who haven't been keeping-up, the big knock on the original F7 one length irons was that the gapping was a bit too tight in the longer clubs. So, when Cobra brought out the single length utility irons this year… I knew I had to try them.

I decided to go with the 4-iron, which has an adjustable loft of 21-24 degrees.

My expectations:

1. I wanted a consistent 200-yard club that I could hit from a variety of lies
  2. I wanted it to be iron-like, as I have trouble hitting fairway woods and hybrids
  3. I wanted a reason to try the single length concept

The club

cobra_01.JPG

(You gotta admit, she's a handsome lady)

Look & feel

The black looks really nice, especially outdoors. I really dig the stock blue grips, too.

cobra_06.JPG

cobra_07.JPG

At address, it looks a bit chunky, which is unsurprising, but the black color tends to mask the size.

cobra_04.JPG

The head feels heavy for an iron. Coupled with a light (86g) UST Mamiya recoil shaft and the result is feeling like you're swinging a hammer. This is an obviously intentional strategy to address the gap issues for these longer (haha, get it?) clubs.

I feel confident during the downswing and it's one of the few clubs in my bag that I don't mind “stepping on” when I need a little more distance. The face is hot, but not driver hot. It's hollow and forged, so you barely feel the ball on the face no matter where you hit it. The sound is a sort of a muted click, not like anything I've ever heard before. It's not unpleasant, just different.

Performance

If given the choice between consistency and length, any prudent golfer should choose the former. This is exactly what you get with this club. A couple of things jump out when you hit it.

First, it is very easy to hit. I suspect part of this is the length but a lot of it is also the large, hollow head. You don't get a ton of feedback, but that's okay because honestly, the large head really mitigates any problems created by less-than-perfect strikes.

My typical mistake is a heavy/fat shot. The turf interaction for this club head is good for me as it does not dig as much as my other irons.

The ball flight is pretty low and penetrating. At 21 degrees of loft it carries around 190 yards. The surprising part is that it doesn't roll-out that much. Based on the ball flight I would expect it to roll a bit but it tends to stop on the fairway after 5-10 yards, depending on the conditions. I don't have access to a launch monitor, but I'm willing to bet the spin numbers are between 3500 and 4500.

Durability

cobra_02.JPG

cobra_05.JPG

This is how she looks after 3 full rounds + about 5 range sessions. The black color is holding-up pretty well, in my opinion. Notice the slight scratching on the face from where I hit it off the toe. Mhy impression is that as long as you keep it on the face, the scratching is minimal. For comparison's sake, my JPX EZ forged irons started showing similar wear after 1 (sandy) range session.

Grade

Based on my expectations, I would give this club an A-.

Pros:

• Very easy to hit
  • Tight dispersion for an inconsistent striker
  • Consistent distance
  • Surprisingly good spin

Cons:

• The sound is a little clicky due to the hollow head
  • Surprisingly good spin… with a 190 carry you'd think I could hit this club over 200, but it's very rare that I do that. For now, it would appear that the 3 wood will stay in the bag.

Summary

I love this damn club. As someone who plays once or twice a month, it does everything I need it for. I use it off the tee, for long approach shots, and especially to get out of jail. Hell, it even works as a chipper from the fringe. Using this club definitely reinforces my belief in the One Length concept for inconsistent ball strikers. I would gladly give away 10 yards on any club just the keep it in the fairway.

As for the viability of Single Length irons, I think it could be great as a combo option for people looking for confidence in their 6-3 irons.

WITB:

Driver: Cobra F6 (10.5*) + Project X HZRDUS Black -1"

Utility: Cobra KING Utility Black One Length (21*)

5I-GW: Cobra KING F7 One Length

SW: Mizuno MP T5 (56*)

LW: Mizuno MP T5 (60*)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie (Black)

Great review and well done!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Agreed! Thanks for the update. When they announced the one-length utilities and hybrids I totally thought about this concept because of how easy it would be to make good contact. Glad to hear it's working for you.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Excellent write up and review.

Now I have yet another thing to ponder...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Good review! I'm considering this club to replace my 3i. I like the theory that I'd be more consistent with the shorter shaft. Just wish i could try it before buying

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 1 year later...

I love the idea of one of these so much. I have the one length hybrid and love it. I just wish this was available in stores to try out but so far I havent seen anywhere that has it to demo. The Top of my bag is pretty open. Driver to 5 wood to 4 hybrid to 5 iron that I dont hit all too often because I'm not confident with it. Would love to possibly add this but dont want to pay and then not like it. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

Looking to replace my hybrid with a utility this one sounds great and could fit into my bag. May have to demo one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Taylormade M2 - Fujikura Pro 60

3 Wood: Taylormade M1 - Graphite Design BB-6X

Irons: Srixon Z745  5-PW - UST Recoils 110

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3  54,60* - UST Recoils 125

Putter: Cleveland Elevado CB

Ball: Vice Pro