TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ladies golf balls

808nation

Has anyone tried using women's golf balls? I found a Srixon soft feel ladies ball the other day and I played with it until I lost it which was about half the round, but as to my surprise this sucker flew 10 - 15 yards further than my average.  I wasn't particularly playing any better than I normally do.  Any thoughts? 

sfl.JPG

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

How were these around the green?

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Never used 'em but I know a number of really good players who loved them. Monte Scheinblum swore by the Precept Lady for a while. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

How were these around the green?

On half and full wedge shots it stuck like a dart, chipping around greens and putting were comparable to my Q Star Tour balls I normally use, really soft feel.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

According to their website, "The new Srixon Soft Feel Lady golf ball, in its 5th generation, features the same performance benefits as the (men's) Soft Feel (which is a 60 compression ball) with a slightly higher launch."

Personally, I was given a box of the Srixon Soft Feel ball - which is also a 2-piece ball like the Lady - and while I found it surprisingly soft feeling for a 2-piece ball, it seemed to perform fairly well over all. And while it did get beat up playing in the wind, like most lower compression balls, to me it seemed to perform admirably overall. Not quite what I'd keep in the bag as my regular gamer, but not bad at all.

End of the day it comes down to swing speed, and if you've got enough to justify using one of the harder compression men's ball. ... But, as has been said a million times, "somewhere about 75% of players are using the wrong ball."

Many of the online retailers are currently selling these at 10-bucks a dozen, all the srixon balls are going at big discounts, so now's the time to snag them up.

Interesting analysis RP! Good stuff there...kinda makes you go hmmmmmmm... B)

Though I'm sure there are those "buddies" out there that if they ever caught wind of what you were playing with, would absolutely tear their "Bro" apart if they found out they were playing a "ladies" ball. But whatever. If it works... screw them! Finding the right combo of gear is so important and here's another fine example of "if it works. USE IT!!!" ;)

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

All you have to do is hit it past them one time, suggest they turn in their ManCards, and they'll shut up pretty quickly. :lol: ;)

:lol: LMFAO!!! Well done Sir!

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

I think they would play pretty well for us slower swing speed crowd.  Several years ago I played the Precept Lady and was happy with it.  Good distance, but didn't spin as much as I'd like.  I like Srixon balls.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I sometimes play the Lady Bridgestone ball when playing my persimmon woods and even the hickory shafted clubs. They do go good off of those. Now I found a lady Pro V one day and played the last 2 holes with it and it went like hell off a modern driver and spun like crazy with the short irons. I did not know they made a lady Pro V until I found that one. The Pro V etc on the side had pink writing. The logo and number were the same as any other Pro V. I am also a big fan of the Srixon Soft feel. Lately though I have been playing the Vice Pro and Master Grip C-4

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've played the Precept Lady in the past. Not a bad ball at all. I really didn't notice any difference off the tee in distance. I like it quite a bit around the greens and off the putter.

Having said that, I'll stick with a urethane cover ball, as I think it out performs the two piece surlyn cover balls in the short game.

I sent a Pink Callaway Supersoft sailing off into the swamp yesterday. Elevated tee, my buddies and I have probably hit a few dozen out there over the years.

The fun part was hitting them out there, then going to find them. I was only able to find one.

It seems like the first "low compression" ball I remember were the Acushnet (owners of Titleist) Club Specials, I think they were 80 compression, and I seem to remember that Lee Trevino used to play them. Not sure how I came about playing them, other than the fact they were recommended for me to use because I was a kid, but I probably played them all the way up until I was in high school.

In high school our sports teams had some kind of tie in to Wilson Sporting Goods, and I was introduced to my first Surlyn covered ball on the golf team - as we got freebie Wilson ProStaff 90s, the ball with the wierd truncated/coned dimples (supposedly to improve ball flight and to help in windy conditions). ... While a bit harder than a Titleist 90 compression wound balatta of the era, all I knew was that they were free and, while still a wound ball it was really hard to cut the Surlyn cover. ... Sometime around that time Jerry Pate won The Players using that ball, but the orange version.

Anyway, after high school I'd taken to using a 100 compression balatta ball during the summer months, and then being we played golf in Florida pretty much year-round I would switch to a 90 compression ball during the cooler/cold months. ...

And really, there weren't many options for golf balls back then - other than TopFlites, which were more rocklike back then, especially in comparison to any of the marshmellow-like wound balatta balls on the market (whether it be Titleists, or the Maxfli HT, among others) - and your only options were Surlyn or balatta. Balls you couldn't cut, or balls you could cut just by looking at them with a wedge.

And then Titleist changed the game forever by bringing out the ProV1 in 2000 - and suddenly all sorts of 2- and 3-piece solid core golf balls were also justified. ... and oddly enough, many were playable.

So anyways, one day I joined up with a 3-some at a course I stopped to play during my travels. Three nice enough guys, and none of them particularly good at the game. ...  We'd played 4 or 5 holes, and I'd been outdriving all of them quite easily - and we get to the tee box on a par-5, and one of the guys motions towards Jimmy and said, "Oh, he's getting out his secret weapon." ... And thinking it was some Nitro or other rock hard pellet I didn't pay much attention until Jimmy, who was a little guy, bombed it about 30 yards past me. And then he did it the next hole.

So after playing my ball from the fairway I walk up to check out what Jimmy was playing, and found it to be a Precept Senior - a low compression ball. ... Designed for old people. ... I couldn't believe it.

On the next hole I offered him a brand new Titleist in exchange for one of his old man balls, and was shocked how soft it felt off my driver, and how far it flew. ... Now, it felt terrible off my irons and didn't spin worth a hoot off wedges, and was really clicky putting - the damn thing sure flew far.

About the same time the secret also came out about the Precept Lady balls being long, and a few years later even Pinnacle managed to produce a non-rock when they came out with the "Exception" (which I seem to remember were used at the World Long Drive Championships a year or two) which promised to be long and soft. ... And while I wanted to make any one of these my regular gamer, living out west where the wind often blows I just found the lower compression balls tended to be more affected by the wind than the tour quality balls (I don't have any science to back up my theory, it could be all in my head, it's just my experiences/opinion).

In the last 10 years or so I guess there's been all sorts of lower compression offerings come to market, from the TaylorMade "A" to the previously mentioned Srixon Soft Feel (and Lady). ... And getting back into the game this year after a long injury layoff I've been trying a lot of different balls - I think I'm going to buy a couple of boxes of the Srixons if for no other reason than to have a softer ball to put into play when the weather cools off just like I did back in the day.

Another good write-up RP! Enjoyed it and thank-you for sharing!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Archived