TESTERS WANTED! ×

Srixon zstar vs Titlest prov

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Sluggo I am nit picking. For fun and review purposes, I have played all the balls I could this year including Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, Snell Black, Cut Blue, Kirkland 3 and 4 piece,  Srixon Z Star and TP5x . I could probably play the Chrome Soft and score very close to what I shoot with the TP5x and would add I find it a good ball in the wind. Mostly, I don't like the feel which is just too soft for my tastes. Obviously soft is one of the CS main selling points. I don't find the CS shorter than most other premium balls and spin around the green is certainly adequate although a hair less than the others. If I am choosing balls based on playing them this year in the dry Phoenix desert and wet Mid West, I would rank them below:

1. TP5x

then 

2. Kirkland 4 piece
3. Snell Black/Z Star/Chrome Soft X
4. Chrome Soft/Cut Blue (I will be testing the new Cut Blue in the next several weeks)

The only ball I will not play is the Kirkland 3 piece that just spins excessively for me

Why the regular z star over the xv? Isn't xv closer to x in performance? 

... I have not found X golf performance to be universal. The Srixon XV is a little shorter for me than the Z, which has been one of my favorite balls because I don't think I compress the XV as well as the Z. Yet I prefer the ProV1X and CS X. And the TP5x is a little longer than any ball I have played. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

9 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have not found X golf performance to be universal. The Srixon XV is a little shorter for me than the Z, which has been one of my favorite balls because I don't think I compress the XV as well as the Z. Yet I prefer the ProV1X and CS X. And the TP5x is a little longer than any ball I have played. 

The reason I ask is because I keep going back and forth between the two. Anxious to see what how they changed them for 2019. Should be hearing those details any week now 

That’s odd to me . I like em, and I think they spin fine. Weird how we view them differently, but with that, I haven’t spent any quality time with the tp5x yet. So you guys are saying that they’re longer and spin better too?
played with all the rest a bunch,  but for whatever reason, the tp5 eludes me... I’ll have to make an effort to get some. 

I’m saying they are longer with the driver (3 or 4 yards) and spin better around the green for me. That combo is entirely possible because you activate different layers of the ball with those swings.

But that’s me and my swing, obviously the chrome soft is a perfectly good ball. I know people who swear by it. All premium balls are good, the question is which do you prefer for your game?

How could I answer the OP? I know what I would prefer - the Pro VIx for sure. Golf is my stress release, the ball is used on every shot, I don’t loose many, it’s the one piece of equipment that I’m willing to pay a premium for. I bought 4 dozen Pro VIxs last March and still have two dozen.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

20 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The reason I ask is because I keep going back and forth between the two. Anxious to see what how they changed them for 2019. Should be hearing those details any week now 

... You have a faster swing speed than  do so it makes sense you could be in-between. I have not played the last few XV generations but the earlier versions were the hardest golf balls I have played and I just felt like I wasn't compressing them. I am sure you know the Srixon Tour Staff is pretty much divided by higher swing speeds with JB Holmes and Matsuyama playing the XV, while McDowel and Knox play the Z. 

So I just bought some tp5x on eBay, so I’ll roll with them for a while and see what happens. Kind of a fun little chat here eh?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

To me, the TP5x is softer feeling than the XV. The XV almost feels like a CSX to me. TP5x and ProV1x feel almost identical across every club for me, but the V1x just launches so high, I love it. Might try to scoop up more of the 2018 version on the cheap when the new one hits shelves, paying $48 a dozen is lame, but I'll gladly pay $39.99. I loved the stopping power I got with the Tour B XS, and there's the "tiger plays it" factor (yes I'm that shallow) but the ball flight is ugly to me, more of a mid piercing one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Z Star is a quality ball that for me seems to be a bit longer and is more durable . I played it for a month or two but went back to ProV as I like the feel of it around the greens much better.

Since then I found me an AVX and that is my ball of choice.  

Personal preference that fits your game and budget. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Well I played my first serious round with the tp5x today and I am impressed. Long with good spin. Not too much tho, just good. Serious penetrating flight, great feel. It helps that I played a good round too. Did the ball cause that, or was the ball just the lucky recipient of a good swing today? maybe a little of both. A few shots I thought that were gunna get away from me stayed on line and didn’t hook out, which says to me lower spin, yet they were staying put on the greens pretty well. Less spin than the chrome for sure, but maybe in a good way. One of my buds made multiple comments on my piercing ball flight and good distance. I think it passed the test.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, chisag said:

... I could have written the same thing! I love the TP5x and it is the only ball that is a little longer than others off long irons and woods. I am taking 6 dozen TP5x to Phoenix Monday along with a dozen Snell Black. I should be getting 2 dozen of the new dimple Cut Blues tomorrow and look forward to playing them as well. 

Would love to hear your impression of the TP5x vs the Snell Black.  These two balls are in contention to be my gamer for the summer.  On Snell's web site they recommend the black if you are playing TP5x.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

... For me, there just isn't a ball that compares to the TP5x. It launches a little higher, spins a little less and gives me slightly more distance with long irons and woods so it will always be my first choice. That said, there is not a night and day difference between the TP5x and Snell Black. I am talking a few yards, a hair higher with slightly less spin and ymmv depending on your swing. From 100yds and in I find them virtually identical. For the difference in price of $32 vs $35 I think the TP5x is a no brainer. But comparing the new 2019 TP5x at $45 to $32 for the Snell makes it a much tougher decision. We have not had really warm weather yet here in Phoenix and I am looking forward to hitting the Snells in 80* weather to see if the differences are still the same. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe Srixon may be the #1 performing ball out there, their entire lineup is high quality.  I think you will see more and more people shift from Callaway, and Titleist to Srixon in the coming years.  I think moving through the level of balls the Srixon perform equal or better than Titleist balls and generally are 10-20% less in cost.

Michael Miami, FL
5.5 USGA index
Cobra Rad Speed 9 degree with smoke HZRDS RDX 6.0 shaft
Tour Edge 15 degree 3 wood with 6.5 HZRDS Smoke shaft
Srixon XZ 16 degree rescue with 6.5 dynaflo shaft

Cobra Amp  #4/5 22 degree rescue

Cobra F9 speedback irons 5-PW

Cleveland CG 46 Degree

Cleveland CBX 50 degree
Wilson Staff SW 54 degree
Rife Enzo blade with Graviry Grip cut to 32"

I bought 8 dozen Z star xv for $20 a dozen: so that’s more than a season’s worth of balls  for me. ProV1 is a great ball too, but $45 vs $20 is no contest. Tip of the cap on the Tp5x: to me it’s a “hot” ball that jumps off the face. I’d consider gaming this on sea level vacations, rather than have to think/adjust my yardages. Chromesoft lost  me when MGS cut them open and exposed the flaws. I’d already switched to Srixon Q stars because I was hitting really odd spinning fliers and hooks with my last dozen chromesoft. Switched to Z star xv this year and I won’t be going back: price and performance of Srixon can’t be beat for my game.

Edited by Micah T
Clarity

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Where are you getting this deal? Just went to Srixon site and see they are buy 2 get 1 free.  Which amounts to approximately $26 each dozen. 

Edited by T2Grn

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

10 hours ago, T2Grn said:

Where are you getting this deal? Just went to Srixon site and see they are buy 2 get 1 free.  Which amounts to approximately $26 each dozen. 

Golfdiscount.com has a 6 pack for $9.99, so $19.98 a dozen, no limit!

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I just bought three dozen personalized with alignment long through golfballs.com.Also had a dozen TP5 so I am hard pressed to buy more.  That’s an interesting deal though at discount golf. I was unaware they did 6 packs.  Maybe that’s why there are such a good deal.  Nobody really buys 6 packs. Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by T2Grn

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

I prefer Z-star have for 8 years now. I found wind performance better when I 1st switched. I have played both in the current generations and didn't see the dramatic difference I seen initially. There is a slight audible difference for me around the greens. I stick with Srixon based on price and familiarity. 

I've been playing the Z Star for the past three seasons. Wind flight control, acoustics, feel off the putter, driving distance and wedge spin are ideal for me. Best all around ball out of all the balls I've tested out over the past three seasons for all around playing performance for my game. Like Bridgestone, the company makes vehicle tires (rubber) so they should know a thing or two about making good golf balls.

~ ward ~

Driver: Callaway B21 9.5 Degrees. Graphite Design XC6 S Flex 43.5" Length. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / 3-Wood: Cobra F7 @ 16 Degrees / Aldila MSI 95 70g 3.3 Stiff. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Hybrid: Callway BB Alpha 815 @ 20 Degrees / Speeder 865 Shaft / Irons: Srixon z785. Modus NS Pro 120 (Stiff). Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Wedges: Titleist Vokey - SM5 F Grind 50 degree (-1 degree) 08 Degrees of Bounce (-1 degree), SM5 S Grind 54 degree (-1 degree) 10 Degrees of Bounce, SM5 M Grind 58 degree 08 Degrees of Bounce. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Putter: Odyssey.

Golf Ball: Srixon Z Star.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C130.
Carry Bag: Big Max.

I play in Oklahoma so wind control is a MUST as you can imagine. Z-Star seems to do better but the Maxflis aren’t bad either!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Whatever one is on sale at the time of Purchase. 

Driver: TM M1 9.5* Grafalloy BiMatrix Tour Prototype

Woods: TM AeroBurner* Matrix Ozik RUL 60

Hybrids: Ping G Hybrid* Alta70

Irons: Mizuno JPS900* Project x 6.0 LZ  (4-PW)

Wedges: Titlest Vokey SM5 54,58

Putter: SeeMore SB2Black

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 6/16/2018 at 6:52 AM, tttullyt said:

Looking for thoughts/opinions on why you prefer either over the other. I will play all different brands but definitely like the pro v1s as of late.

Picked up some Zstars this week and looking forward to try them out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Z stars seem to slightly under perform for me compared to Titleist. I seem to always drive the Titleist further. But on par 3s and iron shots they seem the same.

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, Mir said:
Srixon Z-Star by a mile over the Titleist. Longer, straighter, softer off the putter, and far more durable than the Pro v1. Feel and spin are similar between the two.  https://angrygolfer.com/srixon-z-star-vs-titleist-pro-v1/

What the heck did I just read? That was a review???!!! No data, very few real facts, not even anecdotal evidence from the course... If you're trying to drive traffic to your or a buddy's review site, you've come to the wrong place for sure. You got me, but I'll make sure others steer clear.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

What the heck did I just read? That was a review???!!! No data, very few real facts, not even anecdotal evidence from the course... If you're trying to drive traffic to your or a buddy's review site, you've come to the wrong place for sure. You got me, but I'll make sure others steer clear.

It kinda reads like a first attempt at unsupervised machine learning en route to training your AI engine to write reviews for you...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review