Srixon zstar vs Titlest prov

tttullyt

@Chisag, thanks for the link.

• Like 1

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Like others have said, both are great balls. But at $20/dozen, the Srixon blow away any ball for value/performance.

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

I interchange Srixon Zstar and ProV1x - the performance difference is minimal. But the deals that can be found for Zstar is what makes it so compelling. 

Ping G30 driver 9 degree

Ping G25 3-wood

Mizuno CLK hi-fli hybrid 17 degree

Ping i20 4-AW  black dot steel stiff

Ping Gorge 56ss 60ss

Ping Anser Sigma G

Looks like the z-star is back up to $40/dozen.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

• 6 months later...

This ones been dead a long time now, ... just get some chromes, they’re better thank both🤩

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

This ones been dead a long time now, ... just get some chromes, they’re better thank both🤩

Not for me - chromes feel like a marshmallow, are a few yards shorter off the driver and far more importantly don’t spin as much around the green. The Taylor Made TP 5x works just fine though. I picked up a few dozen on close out and may have my ball for next season there.

If you are looking for a bargain Snell MTB or some iteration of Vice work great.

The Srixon is a good enough ball bridge I’m paying 40 it’s Titleist or TMag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

5 hours ago, revkev said:

Not for me - chromes feel like a marshmallow, are a few yards shorter off the driver and far more importantly don’t spin as much around the green. The Taylor Made TP 5x works just fine though. I picked up a few dozen on close out and may have my ball for next season there.

... I could have written the same thing! I love the TP5x and it is the only ball that is a little longer than others off long irons and woods. I am taking 6 dozen TP5x to Phoenix Monday along with a dozen Snell Black. I should be getting 2 dozen of the new dimple Cut Blues tomorrow and look forward to playing them as well. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

7 hours ago, revkev said:

If you are looking for a bargain Snell MTB or some iteration of Vice work great.

The Srixon is a good enough ball bridge I’m paying 40 it’s Titleist or TMag.

That’s odd to me . I like em, and I think they spin fine. Weird how we view them differently, but with that, I haven’t spent any quality time with the tp5x yet. So you guys are saying that they’re longer and spin better too?

played with all the rest a bunch,  but for whatever reason, the tp5 eludes me... I’ll have to make an effort to get some. 

• Like 1

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

... Sluggo I am nit picking. For fun and review purposes, I have played all the balls I could this year including Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, Snell Black, Cut Blue, Kirkland 3 and 4 piece,  Srixon Z Star and TP5x . I could probably play the Chrome Soft and score very close to what I shoot with the TP5x and would add I find it a good ball in the wind. Mostly, I don't like the feel which is just too soft for my tastes. Obviously soft is one of the CS main selling points. I don't find the CS shorter than most other premium balls and spin around the green is certainly adequate although a hair less than the others. If I am choosing balls based on playing them this year in the dry Phoenix desert and wet Mid West, I would rank them below:

1. TP5x

then 

2. Kirkland 4 piece
3. Snell Black/Z Star/Chrome Soft X
4. Chrome Soft/Cut Blue (I will be testing the new Cut Blue in the next several weeks)

The only ball I will not play is the Kirkland 3 piece that just spins excessively for me

• Like 4

I found the Chrome Soft X to be MUCH harder than TP5X. I bought them based on a statement from a buddy at Callaway, and I hated them from the first time I hit them out of the box.SO hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Sluggo I am nit picking. For fun and review purposes, I have played all the balls I could this year including Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, Snell Black, Cut Blue, Kirkland 3 and 4 piece,  Srixon Z Star and TP5x . I could probably play the Chrome Soft and score very close to what I shoot with the TP5x and would add I find it a good ball in the wind. Mostly, I don't like the feel which is just too soft for my tastes. Obviously soft is one of the CS main selling points. I don't find the CS shorter than most other premium balls and spin around the green is certainly adequate although a hair less than the others. If I am choosing balls based on playing them this year in the dry Phoenix desert and wet Mid West, I would rank them below:

1. TP5x

then 

2. Kirkland 4 piece
3. Snell Black/Z Star/Chrome Soft X
4. Chrome Soft/Cut Blue (I will be testing the new Cut Blue in the next several weeks)

The only ball I will not play is the Kirkland 3 piece that just spins excessively for me

Why the regular z star over the xv? Isn't xv closer to x in performance? 

• Like 1

CC5 sig.png

... I have not found X golf performance to be universal. The Srixon XV is a little shorter for me than the Z, which has been one of my favorite balls because I don't think I compress the XV as well as the Z. Yet I prefer the ProV1X and CS X. And the TP5x is a little longer than any ball I have played. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have not found X golf performance to be universal. The Srixon XV is a little shorter for me than the Z, which has been one of my favorite balls because I don't think I compress the XV as well as the Z. Yet I prefer the ProV1X and CS X. And the TP5x is a little longer than any ball I have played. 

The reason I ask is because I keep going back and forth between the two. Anxious to see what how they changed them for 2019. Should be hearing those details any week now 

CC5 sig.png

That’s odd to me . I like em, and I think they spin fine. Weird how we view them differently, but with that, I haven’t spent any quality time with the tp5x yet. So you guys are saying that they’re longer and spin better too?
played with all the rest a bunch,  but for whatever reason, the tp5 eludes me... I’ll have to make an effort to get some. 

I’m saying they are longer with the driver (3 or 4 yards) and spin better around the green for me. That combo is entirely possible because you activate different layers of the ball with those swings.

But that’s me and my swing, obviously the chrome soft is a perfectly good ball. I know people who swear by it. All premium balls are good, the question is which do you prefer for your game?

How could I answer the OP? I know what I would prefer - the Pro VIx for sure. Golf is my stress release, the ball is used on every shot, I don’t loose many, it’s the one piece of equipment that I’m willing to pay a premium for. I bought 4 dozen Pro VIxs last March and still have two dozen.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

20 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The reason I ask is because I keep going back and forth between the two. Anxious to see what how they changed them for 2019. Should be hearing those details any week now 

... You have a faster swing speed than  do so it makes sense you could be in-between. I have not played the last few XV generations but the earlier versions were the hardest golf balls I have played and I just felt like I wasn't compressing them. I am sure you know the Srixon Tour Staff is pretty much divided by higher swing speeds with JB Holmes and Matsuyama playing the XV, while McDowel and Knox play the Z. 

• Like 1

So I just bought some tp5x on eBay, so I’ll roll with them for a while and see what happens. Kind of a fun little chat here eh?

• Like 2

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

To me, the TP5x is softer feeling than the XV. The XV almost feels like a CSX to me. TP5x and ProV1x feel almost identical across every club for me, but the V1x just launches so high, I love it. Might try to scoop up more of the 2018 version on the cheap when the new one hits shelves, paying $48 a dozen is lame, but I'll gladly pay $39.99. I loved the stopping power I got with the Tour B XS, and there's the "tiger plays it" factor (yes I'm that shallow) but the ball flight is ugly to me, more of a mid piercing one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Ventus Red

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Z Star is a quality ball that for me seems to be a bit longer and is more durable . I played it for a month or two but went back to ProV as I like the feel of it around the greens much better.

Since then I found me an AVX and that is my ball of choice.  

Personal preference that fits your game and budget. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Well I played my first serious round with the tp5x today and I am impressed. Long with good spin. Not too much tho, just good. Serious penetrating flight, great feel. It helps that I played a good round too. Did the ball cause that, or was the ball just the lucky recipient of a good swing today? maybe a little of both. A few shots I thought that were gunna get away from me stayed on line and didn’t hook out, which says to me lower spin, yet they were staying put on the greens pretty well. Less spin than the chrome for sure, but maybe in a good way. One of my buds made multiple comments on my piercing ball flight and good distance. I think it passed the test.

• Like 2

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, chisag said:

... I could have written the same thing! I love the TP5x and it is the only ball that is a little longer than others off long irons and woods. I am taking 6 dozen TP5x to Phoenix Monday along with a dozen Snell Black. I should be getting 2 dozen of the new dimple Cut Blues tomorrow and look forward to playing them as well. 

Would love to hear your impression of the TP5x vs the Snell Black.  These two balls are in contention to be my gamer for the summer.  On Snell's web site they recommend the black if you are playing TP5x.  

• Like 1

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index