tttullyt

Srixon zstar vs Titlest prov

Our Sponsors

... For me, there just isn't a ball that compares to the TP5x. It launches a little higher, spins a little less and gives me slightly more distance with long irons and woods so it will always be my first choice. That said, there is not a night and day difference between the TP5x and Snell Black. I am talking a few yards, a hair higher with slightly less spin and ymmv depending on your swing. From 100yds and in I find them virtually identical. For the difference in price of $32 vs $35 I think the TP5x is a no brainer. But comparing the new 2019 TP5x at $45 to $32 for the Snell makes it a much tougher decision. We have not had really warm weather yet here in Phoenix and I am looking forward to hitting the Snells in 80* weather to see if the differences are still the same. 

• Like 4

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Does anyone else feel like the Pro V1 is a bit slippery around the greens, the Zstar seems to have more friction.

Edited by Mizzed Green

I believe Srixon may be the #1 performing ball out there, their entire lineup is high quality.  I think you will see more and more people shift from Callaway, and Titleist to Srixon in the coming years.  I think moving through the level of balls the Srixon perform equal or better than Titleist balls and generally are 10-20% less in cost.

• Like 1

Michael Miami, FL
9.3 USGA index
Cobra Amp Cell D Driver stiff shaft 9.5 degree
Callaway 13 degree Diablo 3 wood stiff shaft
Tour Edge Exotics #3 19 degree rescue

E21 Rescue #4 23 degree rescue
TaylorMade M2 6 iron Stiff true temper shaft(4 iron)

Adams XTD A Tour Irons with S300 True Temper shafts 5- GW
Wilson Staff SW 56 degree
GEL Ruby 33 in cut down with Washington Capitals oversize grip

I have stocked up on Z Stars, as they can be had for a steal at certain times in the season... $24.00 per dozen or less.  Previous season balls are even easier to find at bargain basement prices.  Not so much with their competitors...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I bought 8 dozen Z star xv for $20 a dozen: so that’s more than a season’s worth of balls  for me. ProV1 is a great ball too, but $45 vs $20 is no contest. Tip of the cap on the Tp5x: to me it’s a “hot” ball that jumps off the face. I’d consider gaming this on sea level vacations, rather than have to think/adjust my yardages. Chromesoft lost  me when MGS cut them open and exposed the flaws. I’d already switched to Srixon Q stars because I was hitting really odd spinning fliers and hooks with my last dozen chromesoft. Switched to Z star xv this year and I won’t be going back: price and performance of Srixon can’t be beat for my game.

Edited by Micah T
Clarity
  • Like 1

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Posted (edited)

Where are you getting this deal? Just went to Srixon site and see they are buy 2 get 1 free.  Which amounts to approximately $26 each dozen. 

Edited by T2Grn
  • Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

10 hours ago, T2Grn said:

Where are you getting this deal? Just went to Srixon site and see they are buy 2 get 1 free.  Which amounts to approximately $26 each dozen. 

Golfdiscount.com has a 6 pack for $9.99, so $19.98 a dozen, no limit!

• Like 3

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Posted (edited)

I just bought three dozen personalized with alignment long through golfballs.com.Also had a dozen TP5 so I am hard pressed to buy more.  That’s an interesting deal though at discount golf. I was unaware they did 6 packs.  Maybe that’s why there are such a good deal.  Nobody really buys 6 packs. Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by T2Grn
  • Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

I prefer Z-star have for 8 years now. I found wind performance better when I 1st switched. I have played both in the current generations and didn't see the dramatic difference I seen initially. There is a slight audible difference for me around the greens. I stick with Srixon based on price and familiarity. 

• Like 1

I've been playing the Z Star for the past three seasons. Wind flight control, acoustics, feel off the putter, driving distance and wedge spin are ideal for me. Best all around ball out of all the balls I've tested out over the past three seasons for all around playing performance for my game. Like Bridgestone, the company makes vehicle tires (rubber) so they should know a thing or two about making good golf balls.

• Like 2

~ ward ~

Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 Degrees. Graphite Design XC6 S Flex 43.5" Length. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

3-Wood: Cobra F7 @ 16 Degrees / Aldila MSI 95 70g 3.3 Stiff. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Hybrid: Cobra F7 @ 21.5 Degrees / Fujikura Pro 75H Stiff.

Irons: Srixon z785. Modus NS Pro 120 (Stiff). Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Wedges: Titleist Vokey - SM5 F Grind 50 degree (-1 degree) 12 Degrees of Bounce (-1 degree), SM5 S Grind 54 degree (-1 degree) 10 Degrees of Bounce, SM5 M Grind 58 degree 10 Degrees of Bounce. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour III (Red) 34" Long.

Golf Ball: Srixon Z Star.

Bag: Sun Mountain C130.

I play in Oklahoma so wind control is a MUST as you can imagine. Z-Star seems to do better but the Maxflis aren’t bad either!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Currently deciding between :Arccos:  and the :ShotScope:  V3

Whatever one is on sale at the time of Purchase. 

Driver: TM M1 9.5* Grafalloy BiMatrix Tour Prototype

Woods: TM AeroBurner* Matrix Ozik RUL 60

Hybrids: Ping G Hybrid* Alta70

Irons: Mizuno JPS900* Project x 6.0 LZ  (4-PW)

Wedges: Titlest Vokey SM5 54,58

Putter: SeeMore SB2Black

Guest Delete
On 6/16/2018 at 6:52 AM, tttullyt said:

Looking for thoughts/opinions on why you prefer either over the other. I will play all different brands but definitely like the pro v1s as of late.

Picked up some Zstars this week and looking forward to try them out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Z stars seem to slightly under perform for me compared to Titleist. I seem to always drive the Titleist further. But on par 3s and iron shots they seem the same.