TESTERS WANTED! ×

How many become an Ex-Golfer raising a family

Big money

I just have no time for this game.Even two hours for 9 holes is something I can't sacrifice.Not that much family issues.Just a matter of principle and life in general.The game just takes up way too much time.Still can't grasp how people play this game daily as amateurs.In an average four hour round I could do over a dozen things I My to do list.Just not feasible nor do i want to spend 4 plus hours on a golf course every day of the year.Or even a few times a week. I would really feel like I'm missing something important outside of golf. And missing those important events really irks me

Keep it in the short stuff

I understand your feelings about the time. I play about 50% of my rounds with at least one of my kids, so I feel like it's time well spent.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I understand your feelings about the time. I play about 50% of my rounds with at least one of my kids, so I feel like it's time well spent.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm just more than happy to play a few times a year.Doesnt sound like a lot to many .But I do cherish what little time I have to golf.Been playing for almost twenty years and the most I've played was ten rounds a few seasons ago.On average I get our maybe three or four times a season.The time constraints never seem to work with me very well.Ive thought about just quitting entirely

I wouldn't necessarily quit the game if I'm hardly able too play. Just enjoy the time when you are out there. Try and enjoy the conversations and nature and don't even fret about score. It's hard to say your going to quit when you hardly play. Your not really invested enough in golf to make it an official quit. More like walking away and no one except yourself will even notice. Heck, most wont even recognize you at any courses just playing a few times each season

It's good for your health to be active in something.Find a hobby that can fit around your busy lifestyle.Read books or maybe start an collection or try gaming

This thread hits home for sure. I'm dad a daddy of two elementary kids and a 2 yr old. I try to play 18 every other week and maybe 1 or 2 range sessions before hitting the green. Luckily for me, my boys are early bird players so i usually get back home in time for lunch. My boy is 8 and he likes swinging a club so I take him to the range and putting greens during my practice sessions. I'm a guy who likes to stay active. I hit the gym 4 days a week and play other sports. It's important to have a supportive wife who understands, boys will be boys and we got to have our toys. Luckily for me my wife gets it. But she sure hates the monetary investment in golf.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Every time I see this title I think of it as a joke, "How many golfers does it take to raise a family?"

At least two, otherwise, who would sit around with and talk about every swing that happened that day.

Okay, I did give up playing golf on the weekends for almost 12 years while raising a family. While time commitments for the kids would have seriously cut into my golfing time anyway, my wife made such a big deal out of it that I simply only played on Wednesday afternoon or when I was out of town.

Ultimately, I discovered the problem wasn't golf, time, or the kids, but the wife. So, I got rid of that wife and bought some new clubs, and rejoined the country club. Problem solved.

I do not believe that one has to totally give up the game, since golf can be played by all ages but it certainly would have kept me from spending EVERY and ALL weekend playing "with the fellows". 

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I started this thread and learned a lot about you guys and gals.Just saying I haven't swung a club or hit an ball in over 8 years.Have had many a major health Issues and scares that prevented me from enjoying this great game.I do watch just about every tour event that I can feast my eyes and ears on.Hope to be able to swing a club again one day

Wonder what type of golfer I would be classified as ?

I can't really relate to a lot of you, as we don't have kids, so there is no constraint there. And my SWMBO (23 years) is fine with whenever I play, at least about 95% of the time anyway.

Knowing my job is in the golf industry, she expects me to play reguraly.

That said, I always make sure to plan enough time for us to do mutual activities.

Also not having kids is a bit of a dissapoitment. At times I feel like Im missing out on some pretty cool things I see dad's and their kids doing. But we are generally very happy in our situation. It works for us, and I know I have friends that can't even phatom what life would be like without kids.

It's all we know, so we don't think it's strange.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Golf can be tough while raising a young family.

I always played so that my time away was less of an impact.

I encouraged the kids to come with me, even when they were young.

Be realistic about what you can and cannot do as far as the game goes. Less time, less money, more responsibilities. But this is a short term investment that will last a lifetime.

I've lost many relationship because of golf.But for me it's a huge part of my life. Usually play 3 rounds mid week of 18. And 18 to 36 holes Saturday and Sunday. I'm not going to budge on what I enjoy doing

One day I was playing with a guy and we were on the 15th green as a funeral procession drove by on the street along side the golf course. While watching this scene, the guy took off his cap and stood at attention.

On the next tee I complemented him for his display of respect. He replied "I was married to her for more than 40 years".

Bada Boom. Been telling that one for 15 years. Still funny though.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I grew up on a golf course, and played sporadically at best once I got married.  I went many years, on and off without ever picking up a golf club.  I even lived on a golf course again a few years ago, and maybe went out back 3 or 4 times to play 5 holes or so in the 2 years we lived there.  But my son was just becoming a teenager and time with him and my family was much more important than golf was.

However, once my son was gone, and the wife and I became empty nesters, I play all the time now.  Do I regret not playing while raising the family?  Not for a second.

My advice to Dads with kids in the house won't change either.  Spend all the time you can with them now, because once they leave your house, or go off to college or whatever, you'll be nothing but an ATM to them.  Treasure their childhood years, because you can't get that back.  The money comes and goes, but the memories with the kids last forever.

Golf will be there for you once the kids are gone.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I played around 2-4 times a week until my first son was born in 1995. A second son was born in 1999. I could not justify the time away from the boys to play golf.  They were involved in sports and other activities.  So they were the priority.  I probably played 5 times between 1995 and March of this year. Most of those times were in a scramble or such.  I started playing again now that both boys are in college.  I have no regrets at all about giving up golf to spend time with them.  I just wish we had more time together now.  They grew up so fast.  The nearest is 4-5 hours away so there is more free time.  When I started back in March it was like learning all over.  Hopefully my swing is better than it was when I stopped. lol. I had to upgrade my clubs.  When I first went to hit balls the grips on the irons crumbled. lol.

Driver:  Titleist, TS2 10.5* regular, Tensei AV Series,Blue 55

3 Wood: Cobra 3-4 Wood Stiff shaft

5 Wood: :taylormade-small: S2 21* stiff

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: R7 16* stiff

Irons:    Ping G's 5-PW AWT 2.0 regular flex

AW:       Calloway MD4 50*

SW:      Mizuno 54* Blue Ion, 8* of bounce 

LW:      :titelist-small: 6000S 60*

Putter:  :odyssey-small: Red Ball

Ball:      :titelist-small: AVX

I'm certain that there's no one from the USGA on this forum, but they really need to be listening to you guys that have basically given up the game because of family (and I was in the same boat for the first few years of my oldest). Why is no one other than TopGolf creating fun golf experiences that last an hour or so? Why does golf need to be an 18 hole round of golf that takes 4+ hours? Or a 9 hole round that takes 2+ hours? And oh, by the way, that 9 hole round generally costs more than half of the 18 hole rate. Let me play six holes and pay 1/3 of the greens fee. Let me play 3 holes and pay 1/6 of the greens fee. Install Egull Pay and let me play as many holes as I can get in and pay for what I play.

Now that I think about it, I was pretty fortunate when my oldest was little. Once she was old enough, I put her in classes at the local First Tee. Most of my golf for a couple of years was playing the three hole pitch-n-putt course there with her. Then when she got older, I'd take her out on the executive course to play a couple of holes. Because I'm a volunteer, they let me do that without paying. Her playing kept me around golf, but my volunteering set me up so I was in a position to just go out and play a few holes and not worry about wasting greens fees. I could have done that if I'd stayed at the club I belonged to, but I'd basically have been wasting my dues, and they didn't have a junior program (which is why I wound up at TFT to begin with).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

After my second child (son) was born, I stopped playing completely for about 7 years. It was nice to hit a 9 iron 150 yards, now it's a hard 7. Still, I wouldn't change a thing. I love being there with the wife and kids when they needed me. My son is now 11 and he enjoys playing golf. I need to take him to an instructor because he's ready to take the next step in golf. I get more frustrated than him when we go to the range sometimes, and I feel terrible about that. Now, even if I spend $50 to 70 on green fees for the both of us, the wife won't say anything LOL! 

I love the 6 hole idea. Break the course into 3 6's, and people who don't have the time to spare for 18 or even 9 can still play.

It's rumored that the 18 hole course was settled because there were 18 shots in a bottle. It's time for the 6 pack revolution!

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

I love the 6 hole idea. Break the course into 3 6's, and people who don't have the time to spare for 18 or even 9 can still play.

It's rumored that the 18 hole course was settled because there were 18 shots in a bottle. It's time for the 6 pack revolution!

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah I've always been partial to that concept as well. 3 sixes sounds great

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

This is my first Father's Day and it's pretty clear that Golf takes a back page. I'm definitely ok with that, raising a daughter has been incredible.

I'll get out more once we're settled with a schedule. My mother is retiring next month and I'll have an additional means of someone watching the baby.

All good, life comes in cycles. My wife knows this is important to me and that I have adequate work / home / life balance.

I'm in a similar situation. Golf helps fill my competitive juices (outside of coaching) and is something I like to do with my friends and helps keep me active. My wife has been happy to support my playing so far (although it does suck spending so much time away from the little one). I think things will start to change if/when #2 comes along and once my daughter is old enough to start doing her own activities and needs supervision there.

We shall see, but I'd love to help get her into golf (so far her favourite plastic golf club is the driver, so she's like her dada) so we can enjoy the time together. So far, she's an active little girl, so sounds like she's going to be a chip off the old block!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I'm in a similar situation. Golf helps fill my competitive juices (outside of coaching) and is something I like to do with my friends and helps keep me active. My wife has been happy to support my playing so far (although it does suck spending so much time away from the little one). I think things will start to change if/when #2 comes along and once my daughter is old enough to start doing her own activities and needs supervision there.

We shall see, but I'd love to help get her into golf (so far her favourite plastic golf club is the driver, so she's like her dada) so we can enjoy the time together. So far, she's an active little girl, so sounds like she's going to be a chip off the old block!

Sounds like a good plan!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I think 12 would be perfect. I usually fall apart on 13-18.

That said, I quit golf for 7 - 8 years after starting my family. Now I'm back at it, and getting the kids into it was awesome, and frankly I don't give a rip what my wife thinks about it.

My wife wants nothing to do with golf but she's is super

supportive

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived