Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2018 Open Championship

Shankster

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

forecast is dry!

I see Russell Knox is paired with Tiger this week- nice draw

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I agree with the sentiment here I love this tournament and have yet to have the pleasure of playing links golf but it will be a fun week. I may not even play golf Friday just so I can watch...who am I kidding I have to play Friday

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I'm sticking with Justin Rose

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This guy knows the truth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

DJ - “I will be hitting a lot of drivers this week”

Rory said the same thing - his theory is that he can carry the trouble with driver and since the rough is dry and wispy not worry about it.

We could see lots of differing strategies this week. But if what Rory and DJ are saying is true length will truly be the deciding factor - that's not normally the case at the Open.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thing is everyone is a bomber this week- Rickie hit a 458 yard drive at the Scottish just down the road last week. Ball is running about 100yds on some holes. Fairways are a 10 on the stimp :)

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

I'll take Bubba, Rickie, or Mickelson. I will root for any of them.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Excited to see The Open but not too excited about the beauty of the course. Let's be honest, if your local course had brown fairways, everyone would be up-at-arms about the conditions and incompetence of the greens keepers..... It's amazing to me that so many people pay big big bucks to go over there and play. I think the experience of playing the game of golf at its birthplace far outweighs the actual conditions of the course as compared to tracks here in the States.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

Where does it say that the course needs to be green?

Over watering courses is a waste of water. The “greens” are plenty green at Carnoustie.

Just my opinion, my home course is way too soggy. It would do it good to look like this for a while, plus there are way too many trees, like right in the middle of the fairway.

My home course is getting a little brown. It hasn't rained here in about two weeks and the barely water the fairways. The greens are fine but the tees, fairways, and rough is a little brown. It has been really fun to play. You get more roll but can still hold the green. You don't get many bad lies either. Still lots of trees though.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Players hitting 450+ yard drives. Roll out yardages they are unfamiliar with. 2 iron then a 9 iron to a green. This course and its current conditions, perhaps like none other, opens up door to more of the field than typical IMHO. The current cadence suggests this years winner won't be from the land of stars and stripes - but I'm hoping it will be either Spieth or DJ. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I bet we see an unlikely winner. A relatively unknown player hoisting the jug.

It will be interesting to see but if DJ is hitting 500 yard bombs will be difficult for everyone else

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

So I am going to take a guys that leads the tour in driving accuracy right now according to PGA tour.com.

My pick is Henrik Stenson. He also leads the tour in GIR.

At this course driving accuracy will determine whether or not you are near the lead come Sunday. I'll take another Henrik/Phil final round on Sunday again.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Excited to see The Open but not too excited about the beauty of the course. Let's be honest, if your local course had brown fairways, everyone would be up-at-arms about the conditions and incompetence of the greens keepers..... It's amazing to me that so many people pay big big bucks to go over there and play. I think the experience of playing the game of golf at its birthplace far outweighs the actual conditions of the course as compared to tracks here in the States.

Brown fairways are common on links courses when theres been no rain for weeks. Remember the Duel in the Sun at Turnberry with Jack and Tom?

The greens at Carnastie are the best I've seen anywhere this year, incompetent greenkeepers...I think not.

Remember grass is a weed, a few days of rain and they will be greener but still fast running...that's what a links is with sandy soil.

It will be interesting to see but if DJ is hitting 500 yard bombs will be difficult for everyone else

The issue with that is he will bring hazards into play that were out of reach even for him under wet conditions. The streams/burns and bunkers will swallow up a running ball, you can't legislate for that. My prediction is if he plays driver as much as he said he will he will find trouble he didn't expect.

The issue with that is he will bring hazards into play that were out of reach even for him under wet conditions. The streams/burns and bunkers will swallow up a running ball, you can't legislate for that. My prediction is if he plays driver as much as he said he will he will find trouble he didn't expect.

Can the big bombers hit it over the hazards ? Haven't had a chance to map the course out online yet.

Archived