TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Open Championship

Shankster

I'm seeing several comments about brown conditions and most not being a fan of the "look".  Three of the last four US Opens have been played under brown conditions (Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, Shinnecock).  The USGA has indicated on several occasions, this will become more and more commonplace.  As Americans, we need to get used to browner conditions.  Water restrictions are becoming more and more common and will continue to do so as water becomes less and less plentiful.  Brown grass doesn't imply poor health or neglect nor should it.  Green is the more aesthetically pleasing color but is aesthetics really a necessity over clean drinking water? 

We don't have an infinite supply of natural resources.  It's incumbent upon us all to be responsible.  Golf shouldn't and will not be exempt.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing several comments about brown conditions and most not being a fan of the "look". Three of the last four US Opens have been played under brown conditions (Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, Shinnecock). The USGA has indicated on several occasions, this will become more and more commonplace. As Americans, we need to get used to browner conditions. Water restrictions are becoming more and more common and will continue to do so as water becomes less and less plentiful. Brown grass doesn't imply poor health or neglect nor should it. Green is the more aesthetically pleasing color but is aesthetics really a necessity over clean drinking water?

We don't have an infinite supply of natural resources. It's incumbent upon us all to be responsible. Golf shouldn't and will not be exempt.

I think it looks great. I also like the new courses coming up with the minimalist approach. Bandon, Sand Valley to name a few. Really need to take. Month long golf vacation.

Can the big bombers hit it over the hazards ? Haven't had a chance to map the course out online yet.

yes they can, but it then brings in the next hazards that were 'normally' out of reach.

17 and 18 are perfect examples that a driver on 17 would hit the 'island' fairway...normally, but now will probably run into the streams on all sides.

18 has the stream crossing twice so bombers will reach the first stream...possibly, but under these conditions might reach the second stream crossing ;)

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

It will be interesting to see but if DJ is hitting 500 yard bombs will be difficult for everyone else

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Drives going more than a 1/4 mile.  Can you imagine what the great names in golf who played this course even 50 years would say about that?  It seems to me that even slightly misaligned tee shots will yield some problematic second shots... with the long distance comes amplification factor. Good gets better, and bad gets worse. Come Saturday those in the field chasing and needing to make something happen will take additional risk and we may see some "are you serious" numbers.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Apparently the R&A is randomly testing drivers. Anyone going to have one that is non conforming?

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/thirty-players-have-drivers-tested-ra/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would imagine that DJ played a few practice rounds so far and probably knows what he is saying or he is deploying some gamesmanship prior to the start any shot of hit offline has a chance to run into trouble I would think...

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Apparently the R&A is randomly testing drivers. Anyone going to have one that is non conforming?

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/thirty-players-have-drivers-tested-ra/

I heard that on Golf Channel last night. Of the few tested so far, all had passed. It will be interesting to see if any fail, although I might guess the players know if they are "borderline" and may choose to game/submit a more conservative head.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

This is fantastic

That's awesome! :D :lol: :D :lol:

The Open is probably my favorite event regardless of sport followed very closely by The Masters and the World Series. 

I feel like Patrick Reed is going to win #2 on the year.  He has played out of his mind the past three majors so, it stands to reason he has figured out a formula that works for him. Plus, its a Ryder Cup year and Captain America is always geared up to tussle with the Europeans. 

Will Jordan Spieth be competing in this tournament?

Define competing. He will play Thursday and Friday. Will he be in contention, I hope so but don't see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

An interesting article on a prediction model that has done quite well lately.  The winner picked by the model actually makes sense to me.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/british-open-2018-odds-same-model-that-predicted-the-masters-makes-surprising-picks/

An interesting article on a prediction model that has done quite well lately.  The winner picked by the model actually makes sense to me.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/british-open-2018-odds-same-model-that-predicted-the-masters-makes-surprising-picks/

you have to keep clicking thru, who does it predict?

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

you have to keep clicking thru, who does it predict?

DJ at 12:1.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Yes, the model picked Reed, Garcia, and Brooks, but I noticed a fine detail that the model picked them heading into the weekend. Still impressive, but slightly less so when all but about 20-30 people are out of contention. It appears it nailed Jordan early last year, though.

Yes, the model picked Reed, Garcia, and Brooks, but I noticed a fine detail that the model picked them heading into the weekend. Still impressive, but slightly less so when all but about 20-30 people are out of contention. It appears it nailed Jordan early last year, though.

*Edited*

Currently the prediction is DJ if I am reading things correctly, but it is saying a few other big names have a shot (duh).  Good catch on the fine print that the model picked them heading into the weekend.  

Currently they know jack all, like everyone else I guess.

DJ at 12:1.

ahh they predicted the world #1 lol duh!

I think Rickie finally does it. He was hot last weekend and I think he will carry that over this week. He is due!

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I hope for some long drives. Make the pros think about run off and risk reward. I want to see some 500 yard shots that end up in hazards. It will be a nice break from fairway, green, two putt golf.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

My average score from the tips of a "normal" course is 80. I wonder if I could break 100 at The Open?

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

JT brining the Tie and Cardigan back on Sunday. Classic good looks from Polo.

Sunday is forecast blue skies and sunshine so will look even better ;)

Archived