Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2018 Open Championship

Shankster

I've got some comments, but let's just agree to disagree for some of this.

I respect your point of view and am glad you enjoyed the tournament.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One last question was Tiger leading at 11th hole? I dont remember just wondering if that might have affected him in any way. He might not have even known.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

The talk about the USGA messing up the course set up in the US Open didn't bother me in the least. If we don't have that talk, it's not the US Open. I've heard or read that talk for 50 years.

So, it's the years that I don't hear or read about the USGA that disappoint me.

IMO though the R and A gets off scot free. How could fairways that are so baked out that guys are hitting 7 iron off the tee on a par 4 with rough that is so wispy and inconsistent that drives a foot apart yield two radically different lies be deemed fair? It's most certainly not and of the two the Open has always created far more rub of the green circumstances where a guy catches a lucky break and then wins than the US Open which tends to be brutal for everyone.

I'm not complaining just stating that it seems to be a double standard - the USGA is the bad guy, the R and A is not - both are identical to me. Both opens are very difficult and what others think of as boring is intriguing golf from my perspective, the Masters and the PGA will yield birdies - occasionally the Open does but it is also the Championship that Nick Faldo won by making 18 straight pars.

Try doing that at Murifield set up for an Open with the wind howling if you think it's boring. I guarantee it wasn't for him and whatever wife he was married to at the time. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

One last question was Tiger leading at 11th hole? I dont remember just wondering if that might have affected him in any way. He might not have even known.

Yep. When he got to the 11th tee he had the solo lead. I think a couple were one shot back, and the others were 2 shots back.

He said afterward he did. He said he just hit a bad 3 iron. Maybe it was bad because he tensed up a bit. Would be only natural, even for Tiger.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've got some comments, but let's just agree to disagree for some of this.

I'd love to here your thoughts. Even if they are different than mine. I said up front in my first post, mine are probably the minority. If yours are different than others, you may have good points we haven't thought of.

As long as disagreements are civil, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Heck, a good friend of mine is an old school teaching pro. He and I often have spirited discussions, about players, courses, rules decisions and equipment. We often disagree but almost always come away at least seeing some validity in the others point of view.

Yep. When he got to the 11th tee he had the solo lead. I think a couple were one shot back, and the others were 2 shots back.

He said afterward he did. He said he just hit a bad 3 iron. Maybe it was bad because he tensed up a bit. Would be only natural, even for Tiger.

I wish he'd have hit driver on 11 and 12. At least he would have been within wedge range instead of 200+ out in the thickets. Wedge out of the rough is better than a 5 iron or whatever it was. If I were Joey I would have recommended it, just for that reason. Get close, put a wedge in your hand. He's always been deadly with the wedges.

I wish he'd have hit driver on 11 and 12. At least he would have been within wedge range instead of 200+ out in the thickets. Wedge out of the rough is better than a 5 iron or whatever it was. If I were Joey I would have recommended it, just for that reason. Get close, put a wedge in your hand. He's always been deadly with the wedges.

Or at least 3 wood. He hit that on 14 I think and smoked it. It would have been more than enough on both those holes.

But he had a plan to lay back and stay in play. And it had worked to that point. I guess you don't deviate from whst got you there.

Or at least 3 wood. He hit that on 14 I think and smoked it. It would have been more than enough on both those holes.

But he had a plan to lay back and stay in play. And it had worked to that point. I guess you don't deviate from whst got you there.

Yeah, I supposed but he damn near hooked that 2 iron in the drink on 18 on Saturday, the driver was and I've thought for the last few tournaments that it was one of his best clubs in the bag.

He could have been going Driver - 9/PW/Wedge pretty much all day and put a bigger lead up.... oh well. “Could haves..”

He was wild at Torrey with the driver, I mean WILD. But seemed to level out a bit after that, but then the putting went to crap.

His putting was the best I've seen from him in years. May not have made a bunch of long ones. But his speed control was spot on. Rarely left himself with a tough 2nd putt.

And he usually struggles in slow greens.

His putting was the best I've seen from him in years. May not have made a bunch of long ones. But his speed control was spot on. Rarely left himself with a tough 2nd putt.

And he usually struggles in slow greens.

Yeah, I thought his putting was dead on at Valspar. His short game kept him in the mix. Not sure where or when it went downhill before the putter change.

I don't think anyone is disputing that Molanari won the tournament, he birdied 14 to either get tied or take the lead, I can't remember exactly--which also speaks volumes to my point--then birdied 18 to pretty much close it out, as all Rory could do after the eagle was make pars.   I had hopes Rory would hit a massive drive on 18---he did, and that he would actually stuff a wedge that spun and went in for another eagle.   So many were so close on Sunday, it wasn't impossible to think it.   Alas he couldn't, and didn't even come within 20 feet or so. 

But back to my point...Molanari did win it, but he won it in a boring fashion, is my only complaint.  Nobody else could mount a charge over the last 4 holes...bad on them, maybe they don't deserve it then.  I realize the Joran Spieths tear like last year or the Stenson/Mickelson shootout don't happen every year.   But even Charl Schwartzel who was pretty much unknown, took the Masters by the throat with 4 straight birdies in 2011 shooting a 66 to beat Jason Day, Adam Scott, Luke Donald and Tiger.   Now that was an exciting finish.  

All that said, if he goes on to win another major or two in the next few years as Brandel Chamblee seems to think he certainly will, then I'll stand corrected and give him his due.   But too me, I just don't get excited seeing the likes, of  Rich Beem, Ben Curtis, Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell...and on and on of guys who win one major and nothing of significance ever again.   

Low scores just weren't there on Sunday though.  The greens weren't holding as well, the wind kicked up, pins were in tight etc.   It wasn't a course for attacking it was a course for staying out of trouble, taking what each tee shot gave you to work with, avoiding the bogeys and taking the odd birdie as it happened.  Personally, as a lifelong golfer and golf fan, I realize it's not always possible for someone to "charge" to victory and I've learned to enjoy watching a golfer do what has to be done to win.  I find a professional managing his or her game and working with the course is as much a part of championship golf as someone who charges through the field to win.  Sometimes you get one, sometimes you get the other, but both are part of golf and both champions are the best player over that four days because style doesn't count, only the scorecards. 

Francesco is on a ball striking roll in his last two victories I've rarely seen in golf.  He might never win again and that's fine, but over these last couple of tournaments he's been the best player in the world. 

I don't think anyone is disputing that Molanari won the tournament, he birdied 14 to either get tied or take the lead, I can't remember exactly--which also speaks volumes to my point--then birdied 18 to pretty much close it out, as all Rory could do after the eagle was make pars.   I had hopes Rory would hit a massive drive on 18---he did, and that he would actually stuff a wedge that spun and went in for another eagle.   So many were so close on Sunday, it wasn't impossible to think it.   Alas he couldn't, and didn't even come within 20 feet or so. 

But back to my point...Molanari did win it, but he won it in a boring fashion, is my only complaint.  Nobody else could mount a charge over the last 4 holes...bad on them, maybe they don't deserve it then.  I realize the Joran Spieths tear like last year or the Stenson/Mickelson shootout don't happen every year.   But even Charl Schwartzel who was pretty much unknown, took the Masters by the throat with 4 straight birdies in 2011 shooting a 66 to beat Jason Day, Adam Scott, Luke Donald and Tiger.   Now that was an exciting finish.  

All that said, if he goes on to win another major or two in the next few years as Brandel Chamblee seems to think he certainly will, then I'll stand corrected and give him his due.   But too me, I just don't get excited seeing the likes, of  Rich Beem, Ben Curtis, Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell...and on and on of guys who win one major and nothing of significance ever again.   

I was just referring to a couple of posts that suggested others lost it as much as Molinari won it.  Also, I found it really "boring" when TW's was winning every other tournament by 5+ strokes.  But then, I'm not a Tiger fan, so that stands to reason.  :)  It is good having him back in the mix and I'm happy for his recovery and his fan base. However, I do wish the media would try and control themselves a little better... they are what spoiled me on him from the start.  Brandel's prediction is quite funny considering he also said Tiger would not likely play tour golf again.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/golf/news/brandel-chamblee-tiger-woods-british-open-championship-nbc-sports-golf-channel-johnny-miller-sergio-garcia-jack-nicklaus-royal-birkdale/105mw2rf4r8ki1qz2oiy9b17fn

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I agree but I think he had to stick to his plan and he was hitting the 3 iron so well off the tee the new 2 iron GAPR not so much but the 3 iron was money he should have taken his medicine and chipped out like he did on 18 on Saturday he stuck a lob wedge close.

Bryson DeChambeau

I was just referring to a couple of posts that suggested others lost it as much as Molinari won it. Also, I found it really "boring" when TW's was winning every other tournament by 5+ strokes. But then, I'm not a Tiger fan, so that stands to reason. :) It is good having him back in the mix and I'm happy for his recovery and his fan base. However, I do wish the media would try and control themselves a little better... they are what spoiled me on him from the start. Brandel's prediction is quite funny considering he also said Tiger would not likely play tour golf again.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/golf/news/brandel-chamblee-tiger-woods-british-open-championship-nbc-sports-golf-channel-johnny-miller-sergio-garcia-jack-nicklaus-royal-birkdale/105mw2rf4r8ki1qz2oiy9b17fn

Wow never read that article thanks for sharing that it is really amazing that TW is back playing this well and although I dont like the guy personally I started playing and watch golf in large part because of him and I will always root for a guy to get his life together because we all make mistakes.

Bryson DeChambeau

Wow never read that article thanks for sharing that it is really amazing that TW is back playing this well and although I dont like the guy personally I started playing and watch golf in large part because of him and I will always root for a guy to get his life together because we all make mistakes.

Yeah, I have to keep reminding myself that it's not his fault the media cannot control themselves.  He like Palmer and Nicklaus are great ambassadors for the sport.  Think about that much success that early in your life. The guy couldn't go the the pro shop bathroom without the press covering it.  I do think he has emerged from all the personal and physical strife a better person.  I also think that, barring any further back injuries, he'll win at least one more major.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I was just referring to a couple of posts that suggested others lost it as much as Molinari won it.  Also, I found it really "boring" when TW's was winning every other tournament by 5+ strokes.  But then, I'm not a Tiger fan, so that stands to reason.  :)  It is good having him back in the mix and I'm happy for his recovery and his fan base. However, I do wish the media would try and control themselves a little better... they are what spoiled me on him from the start.  Brandel's prediction is quite funny considering he also said Tiger would not likely play tour golf again.

Good article...Thanks. But to be honest, I think just about everyone in the golf world had similar thoughts as Brandel did last summer about Tiger.  I mean he was so far away from even playing golf again, let alone leading a major championship on a Sunday. 

Yeah, we all enjoy different things, I think watching someone runaway with a tournament is exciting, as long as it's a big tournament and has a strong field.  Such as 2000 US Open where it was Tiger then a gap of what 10 to 12 shots before everyone else.   To me such domination is exciting.   I'd also much rather watch a 56 to 0 football game--as long as it's my team with the 56--than a 28-10 game.   

The talk about the USGA messing up the course set up in the US Open didn't bother me in the least. If we don't have that talk, it's not the US Open. I've heard or read that talk for 50 years.

So, it's the years that I don't hear or read about the USGA that disappoint me.

IMO though the R and A gets off scot free. How could fairways that are so baked out that guys are hitting 7 iron off the tee on a par 4 with rough that is so wispy and inconsistent that drives a foot apart yield two radically different lies be deemed fair? It's most certainly not and of the two the Open has always created far more rub of the green circumstances where a guy catches a lucky break and then wins than the US Open which tends to be brutal for everyone.

I'm not complaining just stating that it seems to be a double standard - the USGA is the bad guy, the R and A is not - both are identical to me. Both opens are very difficult and what others think of as boring is intriguing golf from my perspective, the Masters and the PGA will yield birdies - occasionally the Open does but it is also the Championship that Nick Faldo won by making 18 straight pars.

Try doing that at Murifield set up for an Open with the wind howling if you think it's boring. I guarantee it wasn't for him and whatever wife he was married to at the time. :)

I think that the R&A is a little more immune to criticism because they do not do anything to alter the course with the intention of protecting par. They just allow the course and the elements to dictate what is going to happen to the score. 

The USGA openly talks about their desire to protect par by drastic alterations to the course.  If the USGA just had their courses stand on their own merits I think that they would receive less criticism for course setups.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I think at some point the discussion can take in a bit of an argumentative tone, not that it is meant that way, it just seems to feel that way. So instead of making the same comments over and over. I just agree to disagree on the tournament. I'm still here reading the posts, I just want to be able to add positive discussion, and I think if I keep commenting it will turn negative. Not because it's meant that way, it just happens when there are strong opinions on both sides.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think that the R&A is a little more immune to criticism because they do not do anything to alter the course with the intention of protecting par. They just allow the course and the elements to dictate what is going to happen to the score.

The USGA openly talks about their desire to protect par by drastic alterations to the course. If the USGA just had their courses stand on their own merits I think that they would receive less criticism for course setups.

I wanted to post the the same thought. But you summed it up much more succinctly than I probably would have.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Archived