2018 Official Forum Member Review - Shot Scope V2

hckymeyer

Official Forum Member Review - Shot Scope V2

post-2876-0-59746300-1526008171.png

mdumble21                    Stage 1             Stage 2

JohnSmalls                    Stage 1             Stage 2

Nunfa0                           Stage 1             Stage 2

perseveringgolfer           Stage 1             Stage 2

Hi MGS - I completely forgot about a bonus review tester for this one.  Forum member Evershady reviewed the original Shot Scope for us last year.  You have find his Stage 1 HERE and Stage 2 HERE for that Shot Scope V1 review.  

Evershady chose to upgrade to the V2 system on his own dime when Shot Scope offered their upgrade program.  He's asked if he could also do a review of the new one and give us a unique perspective of being able to compare the original to the new one.  So I'm adding him in and once the stage 2 sections start going up he will add his own review as well.  

So thank you to Evershady for the bonus review and insights to the upgrades from V1 to V2.

Evershady (bonus review)             Stage 2 

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Shot Scope V2 Stage Two Review {20/8/2018}

By mdumble21 (Matt Dumble)

Well, it's been 2 months since I got the Shot Scope V2 watch, and so far it's been an interesting relationship. I've played 6 rounds with the watch over this period of time. Normally I'd play 2-3 times a week, but the weather's been atrocious (it's winter over here) and I work half the time, so I've been struggling to find the time to play.

Whenever I do find the time to play and test out the watch, I've been focusing on 3 main things - how the watch feels on my wrist, its ease of use and how it compares to my GPS unit. 

Looks & Feel (5 out of 10 points) 

When I first saw the Shot Scope V2 watch in the plastic flesh, I was a little unimpressed with its overall look and size. I was expecting something closer in size to a Garmin GPS running watch (which I own and use on a frequent basis), whereas the V2 watch was about 20% bigger. In terms of feel, the watch felt as big as it looked. Where the Garmin watch had a shape that tried to conform to your wrist, the V2 increased size and stiff (in comparison) band made it difficult to fit to my (quite thin) wrist. Hopefully in the future, the watch will become smaller as the technology produces smaller chips, etc.

The overall bulk and look of the watch would make it a nuisance to wear on a daily basis - I don't usually wear a watch anyway.

Build quality is somewhere that the V2 goes gain some points, as I have yet to see any cracks or scratches anywhere on the watch over the past 2 months. Whilst I do think that the watch will get a bit dinged up over time, it won't be happening for a while.

Setup (9 out of 10 points)

I found the Shot Scope V2 watch to be quite easy to initially set-up. Whilst it wasn't straightforward, the instructional guide made it extremely easy to set-up your Shot Scope account, My Bag, as well as syncing your watch with your favourite courses. 

The only problem I had with the set-up was when I lost the Quick Guide out on my first round with the watch. Fortunately the Shot Scope Set-Up and FAQ were easy to understand and answered any of my questions. 

Installation on my laptop was fairly easy, although it did struggle to download as it's an iMac rather than a traditional laptop (I've had that problem with other apps so I don't mind it). Downloading it onto my iPhone was much easier and very quick.

On-Course (8 out of 20 points)

Out on the course, I found that the watch didn't really affect my swing, although it would occasionally put me off as I never worn a watch whilst playing golf before. 

Most of the time the V2 didn't really impact my game, apart from when I had to do the Pin Collect. Pin Collect is the system that Shot Scope uses to measure your putting stats, and in order to accurately enter your putts and the location of the hole. There were quite a few occasions where I simply forgot to enter my putting data and would have to edit it on the computer post-round. I can see this being an issue if you are playing with certain kinds of golfers, as they will view the action as you wasting time on the course.

Whilst the above problems can be annoyances, I can easily see me getting used to them over time and I will have to incorporate them into my usual golf routine. 

There are 3 modes that you can activate in the Shot Scope V2:

GPS - Just gives you distances to the green, bunkers and hazards

Pro - Only tracks your club distances

GPS + Pro - Gives you distances and tracks your club distances as well

I've only used the GPS and GPS+Pro modes as I was comparing the distance accuracy of the watch versus my GPS unit. Overall, I found these modes quite easy to use, with the only problem being that the watch took a little bit longer to find tracking satellites than my GPS unit, but only by a minute at most.

In terms of a comparison, there are a few differences between my GPS and the V2 watch:

My GPS gave a detailed map of the hole, whereas the GPS only gave me numbers for the green, bunkers and hazards.

The GPS is bulkier than the watch (obviously), meaning I have to pull it out of my bag rather than just glancing at my wrist.

The GPS had access to more courses, particularly in Australia as well as having a few specialty courses already uploaded (e.g. Augusta and Le Golf National)

However, both the GPS and the V2 had the option to ask for additional courses via their respective websites so this isn't really a deal breaker.

One thing to note is that my home course is a 9 hole course with 2 separate tee boxes on every hole, which is fine for if I use the V2 watch's GPS mode. However, one of the holes has 2 separate greens (for the 5th and 14th holes respectively) making it look like the letter Y from above. Neither my GPS unit or the V2 watch recognise the 14th hole as a separate hole, which isn't a problem on GPS mode as there are distance markings on sprinkler heads. Unfortunately, in order for me to properly record an 18 hole round at my home course, I'd have to record 2 separate rounds (one for each 9), as well as edit in the stats for the 14th hole when I finish which is fairly inconvenient.

Accuracy (9 out of 10 points)

In order to measure the accuracy of the V2 watch, I've compared it with my GPS unit, as well as a friend's rangefinder.

In terms of accuracy, the V2 watch produces numbers that match my GPS unit, and are similar to the ones given by a rangefinder. In the case of the rangefinder, it was giving numbers for the pin position, rather than the front and back of the green like for the other two.

Dashboard Interface (7 out of 10 points)

I found the Dashboard interface to be interesting to say the least. The set-up for both the desktop and my mobile was extremely easy and straightforward. 

The desktop app did work well for a while, but it soon starting not being to recognise me plugging my watch in to upload any new rounds. This was becoming a big problem for me, as at one stage I had 3 rounds of data on my watch that hadn't been uploaded correctly. Luckily for me, the mobile app got around this problem by simply using a Bluetooth interface rather than the physical cable.

The Dashboard on the mobile app was better than the desktop one as you could accurately view and change your information. This precision became in particularly handy whenever I needed to enter in the correct pin position for my putting data (this happened a few times).

Whilst the desktop app is quite immersive, it would be better off with the editing feature as it's something that a lot of customers would use. Apart from that little issue, the Dashboard presented any and all of my data in an easy-to-understand fashion and with some brief explanations when needed.

Data Usefulness (12 out of 20 points)

Diving deeper into the various features of the Dashboard, it quickly became obvious that you needed to be quite knowledgeable of how the stats were calculated in order to understand them properly. I found the charts and graphics to be a bit overwhelming in some cases - this isn't really a criticism, but rather something to keep in mind when you properly analyse your data.

One thing I did notice is that the majority of my club distances were out by a measure of 10m (11yd), which I quickly worked out was due to the fact that I play a lot of hilly golf courses resulting in lower average distances. Whilst the watch is great for measuring distances, it still doesn't take into account a 10 degree incline, for example. Apart from that, my club gapping seemed to be fairly accurate, with 10m gaps between the irons.

Whilst the Dashboard feature was well-presented, and gave brief explanations on the stats, I don't think it's something I would be using on a routinely basis. I'm simply not that much of a stats guy, so viewing the sheer volume of data that the V2 watch produces very quickly goes over my head.

Play it or Trade it? (7 out of 20 points)

The Shot Scope V2 watch is a device that I see being used by the kind of golfer who knows what his stats are, and how he can use them to his advantage. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those golfers. Whilst I do see the benefits of knowing my Greens in Regulations and number of putts per round, the sheer volume of data and stats produced by the watch through its Dashboard interface can easily go over your head.

As a result of this, I would likely trade the V2 watch for something else. Not because it's a bad device (because it's not!), but rather because it's not something I can see myself using on a round-to-round basis.

Conclusion

The Shot Scope V2 watch is a fantastic device that enables the average golfer to gather helpful information on not only their club distances, but their accuracy and misses as well. Whilst the V2 watch is a great device, it isn't without its flaws. The overall size of the watch is a tad bulky; the GPS tags can be a bit difficult to secure to your clubs (and you could risk damaging your grips if you try and remove them); the Dashboard interface can be overwhelming to the average hacker; and you may need to change your routine in order to properly use the watch whilst out on the course.

Despite all this, the V2 watch is quite accurate, and the Dashboard interface can be helpful if you know what you're doing. Therefore, I would recommend the V2 watch to the golfer who can properly use the Dashboard to improve their overall game (unlike myself, who simply gets overwhelmed by the data overload). 

Final Score: 57 out of 100

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Hi, I am John!

This is an incredible opportunity! Thank you MGS mods for entrusting me with a chance to be an official tester and provide the best knowledge I can to the forum. Thank you also to ShotScope for finding value in the work that MGS does to even offer this opportunity. Most importantly thank you to the forum spies that have been active and made this a respected place to read reviews and for the high quality of work that you have done for these opportunities to continue to exist.

I am a retired baseball player and one of “those millennials”. I currently live in York, SC and play most of my golf at Spring Lake CC.

IMG_2484.JPG

Outside of golf, I am very, very blessed to spend my days working my dream job in the financial world at a firm that is ironically full of golfers. I am from a family of Clemson graduates, hence the AVI. But, I broke family tradition and took my studies to Erskine College. Bonus points if you have heard of the name of the town Erskine is in (before looking it up).

Growing up I enjoyed keeping an eye on golf and loved the Tiger Woods video game franchise, gave golf a try in my very early teens but never really enjoyed playing. My clubs didn't so much as get taken out of my bag through my late high school years but I kept them for the social aspect and played maybe two rounds a year in college. Though I did not care to play I did read about golf a little bit and watch the major tournaments through all of those years. Fast forward a few years into my adult life I find this website called MGS with a really interesting article on ProV vs KSig golf balls (turns out to be more than an article). A few more months go by and I end up playing golf with a client on our annual Feb/March Hack-a-Round. For the first time in my life, I enjoyed a round of golf. After that golf outing, I remember MGS, go to read more articles while deciding to play more golf. The bug bit by March 2017, I joined the forum soon after, managed to notch 40 something rounds last year and now I spend every last second I can trying to learn more about this crazy sport.

My personal game is a mixed bag of tricks. Stubbornly I thought that I could teach myself and after refusing lessons for 8-9 months I finally gave in. I spent this winter and now spring in the midst fixing bad habits and learning about the actual golf swing. Post “rebuild” I currently play to a stabilizing 25, and it finally appears to be trending downward again. My miss is still a huge balloon-ey slice or a fat iron that digs halfway to China, with the occasional toe-y dead duck hook when I am getting tired. Long clubs have become a much greater asset and am generally hitting these well. Off the tee I have been around 255-260. I am beginning to see how to flight the ball low and high, but for the time being I am working on being a consistent ball striker. My irons have become a huge weakness but through the lessons and video review, I have learned the main reason of why my irons are a remake of Jekyll and Hyde. A good 7 iron is in the mid 150s and sometimes finding the low 160's. Full swings with my wedges have made a dramatic improvement and have become a strength, but around the greens has been a weakness. I think a little lefty imagination and practice will fix that. Flatstick performance is pretty average. I tend to hover around a 2 putt.

A seemingly rare good day will leave me in the low 90's with the typical mixed day hovering right around 100, and add 10+ strokes for when all *&$# breaks loose (bad decisions and bad ball striking are a deadly cocktail).

IMG_2614.GIF

With this new and improved swing to go with data tracking, I am aiming at hitting or breaking 90 by October.

Last year was largely an MGS most wanted bag, but my current WITB is a Nike Tribute (after I realized they actually made good clubs). All shafts except wedges are Reg flex---this might need to change.

Nike Vapor Fly Pro @10.5 Diamana Blue

Nike Covert 2.0 fairway metals, Kuro Kage Black

Nike Vapor Speed Irons 4-PW,

Ping Glide 52ss,56es,60ss,

Nike Method Origin B2-01 Counter Balance

I currently track my yardages loosely with a Garmin Approach S3 and log my stats with a flawless system (written on scorecards/locked in my beartrap memory).

The tech geek in me really likes the idea of detailed shot tracking/analytics. Although, I have not implemented shot tracking into my game yet because I have been wary of: the fear of slowing the pace of play, having to remember to tag clubs before every shot(game golf), the perceived bulkiness of a “satellite” on your wrist (ShotScope), the detailed putting inaccuracy with Arccos, always having to have a fully charged phone on you (Arccos)---two year old iPhone batteries are about as useful as a two legged chair, and quite honestly I thought I was not good enough for shot tracking to help me (the utter brilliance in that thought).

Stupid fears aside, getting ShotScope in the mail was like having Christmas in June. I am still this excited.

IMG_2615.GIF

I have had a few instances speaking with ShotScope support via email (home course not listed in their database for one), and it seems like they reply before I even click send on my email to them.

Even with the predominant use of plastic in the watch and all of the sensors, the overall quality of the product is first class. Initially I was worried about the size being larger than my Garmin, but come to find out it takes up the same real estate on my arm and the ShotScope is a hair thinner. The band is more robust and the ShotScope is a more comfortable device than the Garmin. The additional clip on the end of the band just cleans up the strap and keeps excess length out of the way. I can't say enough about how well the ShotScope fits.

IMG_2612.JPGIMG_2613.JPG

Image1529641185.364469.jpg

Setup is very simple and well outlined in the provided documentation. Charge the watch, connect it to your phone via Bluetooth to the provided app OR to your PC via provided USB cable, download the courses you play to the watch from your phone or PC, screw the sensors into the bottom of your grips and off you go. Once you get to your course, press the top right button on the watch/choose your data collection mode, your course and shot scope gets to work.

I worried about the tags coming off in the bottom of my Ogio Silencer since my clubs “clip” into the bottom of the bag, but the sensors don't so much as wiggle—perfect!

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Despite the initial high praises, I came across a problem with playing a counterbalance putter because there is no hole in the grip for the sensor. Remedy: cut the threaded screw off and use an adhesive to stick the sensor on the club OR just don't use a sensor.

IMG_2608.JPG

I learned from ShotScope support that you don't need a putter sensor. The watch automatically knows you are on a green and asks to “pin collect” or ShotScope lingo for how many putts did you have? (You will have to go in after your round and edit putt distances if you don't use a sensor). This for now is a minor annoyance.

This system is going to get a workout from steady diet of penalty strokes, lost balls, and whatever other way my crazy golf game throws at it. I wonder if it will call home if I get lost in the woods?

I have 100% faith in data analytics in helping teach me about my game and understanding where I can improve. But can ShotScope truly track data without you noticing? Has ShotScope built a device that is intuitive and easy to use on the course? What about the online display of statistics? Is it simple and easy to use off of the golf course? What does ShotScope do well? Not do well? Will the ShotScope system be able to provide answers to help improve a seasoned scratch player AND a high handicap newbie? Stay tuned!

*This is a live look at your four testers over the next month.

Image1529637944.096102.jpg

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Stage Two - The Review {9/12/18}

Shot Scope V2 – Official MGS Forum Review by JohnSmalls

Intro

And we're back!  These past few months have been a whirlwind both on and off of the course; but it has been an honor to test Shot Scope for the MGS community.  Thank you very much guys for your trust and patience!

I tested the Shot Scope system by the very scientific method of playing golf to a high handicap which equals a lot of swings from less than desirable locations.  I tested the system on previously charted courses and courses that had to be newly uploaded.  During my testing I tried trick the system by not following directions like: not taking recommended practice swings, playing speed golf and having the watch set up for a “right handed golfer” whilst I am a lefty.  I also tried to trick the system hitting numerous provisional balls and inevitably by losing (a lot) of golf balls.  

Being a high capper and a millennial, I am a sucker for new tech; especially if it will help me better my game.  So how did Shot Scope perform with around 1000 strokes from 5 different courses?  Did it help a high capper reach my summer goal of playing bogey golf?

Looks & Feel (7 out of 10 points)—Points deducted for overall size and clasps being plastic and for looking like a house arrest tracking device, and tags falling out of grips.

Describe the following for the watch and sensors:

• You've heard:  YES the watch is big.  I wear an Apple Watch, and Shot Scope comes in a touch bigger.   But here is where Shot Scope shines.  I find Shot Scope more comfortable than my Apple watch.  It simply disappears as soon as you start swinging the stick.  The rubber grip does an adequate job of locking the watch in place and being lightweight.  The build quality is almost entirely a durable plastic or rubber and feels like it will easily make it through 4-5 years of use.  However, it is staying on the golf course only and customization doesn't exist.  This thing is not for public consumption, unless you are already married, don't care to have anymore kids and aren't looking to make a sale to anyone. 
  • The sensors fit well and are built to take a beating in your bag.  However, they need to be watched, as they are suspect to fall out over a couple of months of use.

Setup (9 out of 10 points)—1 point deduction for having to install individual courses manually

• Are the instructions clear and easy to understand?
    • Instructions are very clear and easy to understand.  Most importantly, they are accurate.
  • How easy was installation? (PC, Phone, or Tablet is needed)
    • Physical installation is very simple and instructions are not really needed.  Simply screw the plastic tabs into the corresponding clubs grips, and put a watch on your glove hand's wrist. 
    • Setup is a little more delicate but still relatively simple. 
      • First, go to shotscope.com and create an account. 
      • Next click the “My Bag” link and label all of the club tags with your corresponding club brand and model (if you clubs are not listed, a quick email with a turnaround time within the business day will remedy that problem). 
      • Then go to “My Courses”, find the course you are playing download via PC or mobile app, connect Shot Scope watch with the provided USB cable or Bluetooth for mobile app and Sync your devices.  You are off to the golf course! 
  • Did you need to ask for help or search online for an answer during setup?
    • Nope! Provided paper guide will take guide you all the way!

On-Course (16 out of 20 points)

• Does it affect your swing?  Not at all.
  • Did you have to think about or remember anything to use the product
    • The system fairly simple to use.  The only time I found myself searching for the correct button was when I hit a ball OB or hit a provisional.  The buttons are not well labeled  which inevitably becomes a hunt and search procedure no matter how many times you have read the user guide. 
    • Using Pin collect at the hole takes thought at first, but becomes an automatic reaction the more you use the Shot Scope system..
  • Did it interfere with your normal golfing routine?
    • Other than remembering to press pin collect or remembering to label a lost ball, it didn't change a thing. 
  • How intuitive was using it on the course?
    • Using the watch was just plug in and swing, and the watch prompts you to pin collect when you are on the green, no problems at all.  Again, the watch becomes a little less intuitive and sometimes confusing when losing balls and recording penalty shots, or accidentally hitting that button and trying to get back to the round without adding unnecessary penalties.  The buttons need to be physically labelled and a “back” button needs to be added.
  • Did you like using it?
    • It has been a pleasure to use.  I have accurate distances and my playing partners continue to ask questions after multiple rounds.
  • Compare and contrast to what you are currently using or have used in the past.
    • My old setup consisted of a Garmin Approach S3 watch, Swing x Swing iphone app, and a Tec Tec Tec rangefinder. 
      • The Garmin was my go to device for distance and recording the distance of shots.  Keeping score is not easy to complete due to a very unresponsive touch screen (old tech).  Shot Scope V2 is noticeably more accurate, keeps score for me, and doesn't have the unresponsive touch screen.  The Garmin does allow you to track the distance of any individual shot from point-a to point-b and see the distance real time---Shot Scope does not and I would like to see this feature added. 
      • Swing x Swing provides real time GPS, shot tracking, and an overview of the hole.  The only feature that is better with Swing x Swing is the course/current hole birds eye view.
      • TecTecTec is accurate enough, but I had trouble locking on to the pin, it takes longer than a GPS watch.  The one benefit is to the rangefinder is being able to find the distances to doglegs or random markers that aren't recognized by other GPS based systems. 
      • If I had to choose, I am a GPS watch guy.

Accuracy (7 out of 10 points)—Points for exceptional on course GPS accuracy, putt tracking accuracy, penalty shot scoring and tracking.  Deductions—Phantom shots, missed shots around the green, amount of time for round edits.

• Are the yardages given by the watch accurate?
    • I have had the pleasure of playing with a few members (Kor.A.Dor and BigStu) who use Bushnell and Precision Pro rangefinders, as well as a few other guys who use newer GPS based watches from Garmin.  The Shot Scope was dead on the money with the laser based systems and I found them to be more accurate than the other GPS based watches. 
  • Does it track every shot?
    • Unfortunately NO.  This is my biggest gripe with Shot Scope.  Short touch shots around the green with anything other than a putter are not recorded more times than not and require post round editing to be added.  On newly added courses, Shot Scope also has a problem with registering phantom strokes.  My home course is the worst culprit for this.  On the par 4, number 9, the tee box is back to back with a tee box from an earlier hole.  Number 9 is always a mid to short iron off the tee.  Without fail, Shot Scope records a driver being struck from the cart path going to the tee box and then the actual tee shot with the mid or short iron.  Other phantom shots have been recorded but have been extremely rare to the tune of 11 in about 1000 strokes (most on same hole)—***fix has been found: delete course from watch and PC/phone, download again and reinstall
  • How does it handle when you go OB or punch out?
    • I have tested this feature more than most, and I can confidently say as long as you remember which button to press, the system does admirably recording punchouts, provisional and lost golf balls.  Punchouts need to be correctly labeled as a “positional” shot in an after round edit so that the distances don't get averaged into your club stats.
  • Do you have to spend much time editing?
    • YES, the total time is a problem.  Shot Scope is supposed to function behind the scenes with minimal input from the user.  Most of the time it does this well, but I end up spending 10 minutes or so per 9 holes.  The worst part about editing is having to add shots or try to edit shots recorded on the green.

Dashboard Interface (8 out of 10 points):  Points gained for ease of use and overall performance. Points deducted for editing frustrations using mobile app

Be sure to spend time navigating the desktop/web interface as well as the mobile app.  Try your best to explore every feature.

• Is the overall experience intuitive?
    • Yes, the desktop/web interface is simple to understand and use without instruction.  It takes all of logging on and clicking around to work and edit on a computer. 
    • Mobile application is smooth operationally and easy to view stats but I prefer the larger screen of  PC.
    • Editing rounds on PC is easy.  Editing rounds on a mobile device is maddening, especially around the green.  On both PC and mobile, the software does not zoom in nearly enough around the green.  Then trying to select a specific putt is heroic test of patience, especially when the pin moves instead of your putt. The desktop is much easier especially using mouse and a larger screen.  However, the view of the green still does not zoom in enough on either application.
  • Best Feature / any missing options?
    • The GPS watch is stellar.  Distances are spot on and immediate, and distances to the front/back of major hazards is easy to see and very helpful.  Shot Scope's proprietary system of adjusting distances to front/middle/back of the green depending on the direction of the shot is a game changer and just adds to the accuracy of the product.
    • I love the raw stats of Shot Scope, but the feature that I would most like to see is an Arccos style trending handicap system so that the data can be better used to improve your game. 
    • Battery life has been as advertised, when starting at 100% (27 holes on one charge).  However, it takes AGES to charge (roughly 5 hours for 100%).  My unit will not hold a charge over the course of a week even while powered off.  Meaning if I don't charge the unit the night before, I don't have enough juice for 9 holes the following week. 
    • Club tags need some work to stay screwed into clubs.
  • Is the data presented straightforward or do you have to search for what you're trying to find?

The data is straightforward and very easy to access.

• Talk about any Customer Service interactions you've had:
    • My home course was not listed when my Shot Scope arrived, so I sent a quick message to customer service, problem solved in one day. 
    • I brought up the battery life issues that I have been having, customer service replied in one day stating this is an isolated problem and will be replacing my watch.

Data Usefulness (18 out of 20 points)-No hidden meanings here.  The system tells you where you are accurate, where you miss, and how far your clubs make a golf ball travel. 

• Do you play better or worse now that you've started tracking every single detail?
    • Better!  I still have meltdown holes.  But, my club selection is better because of these stats, my misses aren't as bad as before, and honestly I am just playing better golf. 
  • How are your club gaps now that you've got real data?
    • My wedge setup is spot on and appropriately spaced and have been the best and most consistent performers in the bag since data collection.  Woods are a close second out of the fairway.  My driver dispersion and irons gaps have been Jekyll and Hyde and need a lot of practice. 
  • Are you able to identify areas of your game for improvement?  Yes!
    • Driver dispersion and mid-long irons absolutely suck.  These need lots of work!
  • Is there any instruction offered?
    • None at all, and that is by design.  Shot Scope wants to give you pure vanilla numbers and let you/your swing coach decipher what needs to be worked on.
  • Were you able to bring the handicaps for those parts of your game down?
    • Yes, my short game is money and shorter irons are getting better!  My next big step is driver dispersion.
  • Is there any information that was surprising to you?
    • Driver distance and consistent wedge distance/gapping
  • Most/least useful metric presented?
    • Club distances, I can trust my swing and club now and that is leading to more greens hit.
    • Least: Club usage percentage, I don't use this at all.

Play it or Trade it? (19 out of 20 points)

PLAY IT!  Despite the shortcomings, this is a good product.  I am a fan of GPS watches anyway, and this is one of the best on the market, with a very competitive price to boot…and you get shot tracking included. If I was in the market for a new GPS watch, I would certainly give Garmin a look, but Shot Scope is getting my money.  From knowing the distances on my wrist are accurate to knowing my club distances, I am hitting greens more often and have now played bogey golf for the first time ever.  This product is for any golfer that is serious about improving their game or a golfer looking for the most accurate GPS watch on the market.

Conclusion

Shot Scope is a big watch, but it disappears into your swing like it is a part of you and is one of the best GPS watches available.  At $200-$250 it is a well-built product that will withstand years of use.  It tracks rounds without much manual input.  However 10-20 minutes of editing is required after the round to check accuracy and add or delete 2 or 3 strokes and the club tags can fall out over time if not checked.  The PC interface is straightforward and easy to use for those that are either tech-savvy or allergic to computers. The statistics are displayed logically and clearly.   As a high handicap golfer, I had my sights set on playing bogey golf before the end of the summer and with the help of data analytics, mission accomplished.  Shot Scope may not be perfect and neither is my golf game; but Shot Scope does exactly what is asked of it and has helped me become a better golfer—for me it is a YES.

Final Score: (84 out of 100)

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

Stage 1 up

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Stage one up guys....

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Well done, gents!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Very nice Stage 1, gents!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Thought I would share one of the features I have been enjoying so far...Screenshot_20180621-224642.png

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Great Stage 1's so far guys!

As someone who does wear a watch on a day to day basis, I have to agree that the Shot Scope watch does appear to be pretty big and a bit bulky. I'll be curious to see how you all get on with it as you use it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Nice start all.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Love the V2. Looking forward to what you all think.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Thought I would share a couple of early thoughts.

1. Shot Scope is brutally honest. In fact it is like the Sheldon Cooper of golf devices. I walk off the course thinking I have played ok and he says "well actually you only hit your driver this far and you missed this many greens and you are short with this percentage of putts"

But that is a good thing. No more rose tinted glasses for me.

2. Winter golf kills my distance more than I realised. I must be 30 metres shorter in the winter but that could be age as well

Lol. That was my exact thought last night. I dont usually add my score during a round. Last night. I felt I was hitting the ball very solid and despite ending the night on a triple bogey 6 on a par 3.....ugh. I figured I was somewhere around 43 or 44. Imagine my surprise when I saw 48!!

I went back over the hole by hole twice thinking maybe I added a penalty stroke or something by accident. Nope, in reviewing hole by hole I was nodding my head in agreement with each missed 5 footer or the pitch left short I forgot about....etc.

I love the Shelon analogy....perfect.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Late to the party,but never absent.  Stage one is up. 

Gameday

Classic Bag

Great Stage 1's so far guys!

As someone who does wear a watch on a day to day basis, I have to agree that the Shot Scope watch does appear to be pretty big and a bit bulky. I'll be curious to see how you all get on with it as you use it.

That was an initial worry that I had especially before the ShotScope arrived.  It does appear to be bulky, but after I put it on and swung a few times I almost forgot I had it on.  It is pretty lightweight and doesn't affect my swing at all.

Gameday

Classic Bag

That was an initial worry that I had especially before the ShotScope arrived.  It does appear to be bulky, but after I put it on and swung a few times I almost forgot I had it on.  It is pretty lightweight and doesn't affect my swing at all.

I would agree with this. I did wonder however when I first looked at it whether it should be round my ankle ;)  :)

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I agree as well, very light and doesn't affect my swing at all. It has the looks of a heavy weight boxer but the presence of a ballerina.

I would agree with this. I did wonder however when I first looked at it whether it should be round my ankle ;) :)

Good thing it doesn't beep when you get to far from home

Gameday

Classic Bag

Two nine hole rounds in with mine so far. It just works. Put it on make sure it's found the course and you have the right mode selected. Then your good to go.

As others have said I don't even notice it during the round. It just works.

Two nine hole rounds in with mine so far. It just works. Put it on make sure it's found the course and you have the right mode selected. Then your good to go.

As others have said I don't even notice it during the round. It just works.

I've been playing 9 hole mini rounds until today. Squeezed a whole 18 in. It is so unnoticeable I almost forgot to pin collect a couple of times.

Gameday

Classic Bag

I've been playing 9 hole mini rounds until today. Squeezed a whole 18 in. It is so unnoticeable I almost forgot to pin collect a couple of times.

Yep. That happend to me as well. Forgot to pin collect on the 2nd hole I think.

Monday I'll be possible playing 54 holes. I don't expect it to make it through all 3 rounds. So most likely will play it the first round, charge it up during the second (the golf carts have USB ports for charging) and use again during the third round.