hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Shot Scope V2

I hope all of the testers have done the firmware update, looks like they have fixed one of the issues I had noticed and we will be able to use it as a watch (possibly)

far too big and fugly to use as a watch.........IMO. Cant beat a nice TAG ;)

• Like 1

far too big and fugly to use as a watch.........IMO. Cant beat a nice TAG ;)

Not quite, but a TAG won't tell you when you tagged a 300 yard drive.

Not quite, but a TAG won't tell you when you tagged a 300 yard drive.

neither will the shotscope, sometimes ;) career best drive on 18th in a comp on a new course, couldnt wait to get back to see how long it was, shotscope hadnt recorded it and had me down for a double eagle 2 as it recorded the 2 putts only...grrr!

• Like 1

Had you recorded the putts on the previous green?

• Like 1

neither will the shotscope, sometimes ;) career best drive on 18th in a comp on a new course, couldnt wait to get back to see how long it was, shotscope hadnt recorded it and had me down for a double eagle 2 as it recorded the 2 putts only...grrr!

OUCH!   That one will sting for a little while.  I haven't had that happen yet.  

Had you recorded the putts on the previous green?

yes.

Biggest niggle for me just now is when you have a chip from the back of the green, no problem you say, BUT when you walk over the green it wants the number of putts and fails to record the beautiful holed chip because it demands a putt!!

You can wait 30 seconds off the green for it to realise you're not putting but who does that and how annoying for playing partners and those waiting behind to play!

• Like 2

yes.

Biggest niggle for me just now is when you have a chip from the back of the green, no problem you say, BUT when you walk over the green it wants the number of putts and fails to record the beautiful holed chip because it demands a putt!!

You can wait 30 seconds off the green for it to realise you're not putting but who does that and how annoying for playing partners and those waiting behind to play!

Had this happen 60-70 yards away from the green on an approach shot.  I was coming from a lay up on a course I've never played and I had no idea (outside of a little math from my previous shot) what the actual distance was until one of my playing partners lasered the pin.  My math was pretty close, but it is one thing guessing and another thing knowing what the actual distance is.

Damn, that does suck! It hasn't done that to me but it does sometimes think I'm putting when I'm still a couple of metres off the green

Well the update works and all of the missing hazards are there now. On another note I lost the GPS today and it went a little strange for one hole but it was a heavy cloud cover today.

• Like 2

Well the update works and all of the missing hazards are there now. On another note I lost the GPS today and it went a little strange for one hole but it was a heavy cloud cover today.

I dont think cloud cover stops GPS signals. Never had my skycaddie lose gps and I've played in heavy rain with thick black clouds covering the whole country

• Like 1

I would love to have a shot at the Shot Scope V2.  Presently i am just using eye sight and reference markers along the course but i am frequently wrong with my distances.

• Like 1

I like that we have the time on the main screen now. It means that it doesn't just sit there like a big red and black bracelet after the round.

• Like 2

I like that we have the time on the main screen now. It means that it doesn't just sit there like a big red and black bracelet after the round.

I've already had a member say "if the police come into the club I'll let you know" ;)

• Like 4

First round down with mine. Only nine holes...

Very quick first impressions:

- Coming from someone who tracked their shots with a phone app, it's all so easy... It added one shot that never existed, which I removed in the edit afterwards, but otherwise everything was spot on.

- Takes no time at all to download and sync courses. I decided to dive into a course I was passing by on my way to a meal I was running really early for. Downloaded and synced the map in less than a minute in the car park.

- P. Avg needs more than 9 holes to be useful (this is hardly a negative). I hit one driver shot and one hybrid shot. For some reason my P. Avg for those clubs is 50% of the distance I actually hit them...

- You really forget it's there very, very quickly.

- It's not as useful as having the satellite image overview of a hole you have on a phone app, but the distances are good and stack up against my laser too when I was checking them. If you're playing a round where you can get away with having a phone if you're at a new course then it doesn't really replace that as it doesn't show you things like distance into a dog-leg (unless I'm just missing that), but everything else is so much better. Distance to hole on your wrist at a glance, constantly up-to-date and all your shots tracked with you not having to do anything... Brilliant!

First round was a good showing from it. I'll be fitting in at least one more over the weekend...

• Like 3

Now that I have a few rounds registered I have noticed that the gapping in the playing average has really started to even out. There were some weird things going on originally but now it's starting to make sense.

• Like 3

Okay, second set of brief impressions from me following a second round under the belt over the weekend.

My first issue... It didn't pick up GPS satellites for me on it's first attempt at the course I played on Sunday. I gave it nearly 20 minutes while warming up near the first tee and nothing. Turned the watch off and on again and it picked them up almost instantaneously... Annoying, but not a huge problem if I know a restart can fix it.

I like smaller watches as I'm another with smaller sized wrists, the Shot Scope is far bigger than I would normally wear as a watch, but I'm sticking with my first playing impression of it. Once you're going you forget it's even there, it's comfortable and you barely notice it unless you're checking yardage on it.

The shot tracking is great. Not having to do anything other than draw your club, practice swing and take your shot then carry on is brilliant. I ended up only selectively recording shots when using a manual tracker on my phone, which inherently biases the data, because it was a hassle. This is great. I only had one errant shot to fix in the data and I can blame that on myself for ground striking in my practice swings a small distance from the ball, then deciding I needed a different club, walking away from the ball and coming back before more practice swings and taking my shot, it recorded a shot from the one club and a second a couple of yards away. Not the system's fault.

The editing is really easy, even on mobile devices. I downloaded my round as soon as I was done and edited while waiting for food and drink to come in the bar after, was done in minutes.

The battery actually isn't that bad. I finished 18 holes in 3 hours on the nose and had 58% battery left. You'd just about make two, quick, full rounds. If you have a battery pack you could top up the charge while having a drink between rounds.

Having every shot recorded is definitely going to help my game. Selectively recording shots previously gives you a broken average as to your hitting distance and doesn't show you your game faults. At the moment I'm consistently short on my approaches, which this has highlighted very rapidly. My short game and putting are both strengths, but I'm letting myself down in my mid game. I could either really stretch my tee shots and get myself right into short game earlier, or I need to improve my approach shots. At the moment I'm always looking to get up and down, and I'm good at it, but it's putting pressures on my game that don't need to be there. One more club swung slightly more gently would improve my approaches and by default, my score...

Happy with it so far. Now to cram in some rounds over the coming weeks and get the averages coming up to something sensible and reflective of reality.

• Like 5

Beautiful day for winter testing today, so I thought I would share a couple of photos. I shot 40 for 9 holes with 11 putts and a double on the last.IMG_20180710_122348.jpg

This is my 30 year membership bag tag (36 years)

IMG_20180710_120803.jpg

This was my approach on the sixth and I holed the birdie

• Like 4

Beautiful day for winter testing today, so I thought I would share a couple of photos. I shot 40 for 9 holes with 11 putts and a double on the last.attachicon.gifIMG_20180710_122348.jpg

This is my 30 year membership bag tag (36 years)

attachicon.gifIMG_20180710_120803.jpg

This was my approach on the sixth and I holed the birdie

That's quite a winter!

I know, where I live if we get a frost over night it's generally a beautiful day after. It was 10° Celsius yesterday.

• Like 1

It's interesting to see that in the Cobra connect thread they don't have the ability to change a shot to positioning. They have to rely on the system to do it for them. Also the app seems to chew through the power on their phones. Isn't it nice to have our chunky but beautiful watch  :D  :wub: 

• Like 2