Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How do you prep for a Tournament round ?

MDGolfHacker

Every year I participate in a the same few tournaments and it got me thinking - what do you do to prepare for the tournament round(s) ?  Do you practice more, play more, practice those shots you know you are going to hit during the round, practice your weakest shots to shore it up for the tournament study the course  and come up with a game plan or do you do nothing at all ?

Every year, I've approached the same two tournaments the exact same way -   I try to go to visit the range a few extra times to get the swing a bit more honed in. I also start  looking at the course map/hole layout, to strategize what clubs I want to hit to get to a comfortable wedge distance, and go in with a mindset that I can do what I plan.  It somehow goes out the window especially if I start off bad. 

Ultimately, the results are the same, I place mid-pack for the tournament.  

So what do you all do ?

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

If it's the same course every time you play, make a note of the holes you struggle with and work specifically on the kind of shots that hole requires.  Also, try to play the course a few extra times. Usually before any tournament I play, I try to get on that course 2-3 times right before the tournament if possibly, just to get pretty familiar with the layout.  Another thing is to focus on relaxing.  That used to be a huge problem for me. Once I got to the point where I wasn't wound up so tight, I actually started playing really well in several tournaments. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Do you play your best in those tournaments with the extra practice? Is there a consistent time when you play better?

Driver: Cobra F7+ - 3W: Cobra F7 - 2i: Cobra King Utility Iron - 3-PW: Mizuno MP 59 - 52/56/60: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 - Putter: Scotty Cameron Select 2.0

Example: Rory showed up a week and a half before this past US Open and was awful. DJ showed up that week and learned it in 3 days.

For DJ all that extra practice and focus may make him worse

Driver: Cobra F7+ - 3W: Cobra F7 - 2i: Cobra King Utility Iron - 3-PW: Mizuno MP 59 - 52/56/60: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 - Putter: Scotty Cameron Select 2.0

Do you play your best in those tournaments with the extra practice? Is there a consistent time when you play better?

I'm a hacker so by definition my game is inconsistent.  When I practice more i was able to play down to a 7.8 index, but with kids and little time to practice, I'm floating around a 16 now.  This topic was more about what everyone else did to prep for a round and what worked and didn't work for them.  I may change it up this year though and not worry about placing in the top 10 :D  Who knows, that might be the ticket for me !

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I'd analyze why you ended up in the middle. Over the past two years I'd run into the same problem except I'd end up at the bottom. FYI this is the same course I play all of the time. I'd end up playing worse than then if I played with my friends or with my wife. It was a real bad case of the yips on and off the green.

1. Review my game: there were three critical components putting (too many 3 putts), chipping out of green side rough, and shots with a low percentage. On the first two the solution is lessons and lots of practice. On the last it's being realistic about my game (resulting in more lay ups than GIR)

2. Play in as many tournaments as possible to reduce the nervousness factor

Will that get me to the top of the leader board? Only time will tell but at least for me it's a logical approach

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I usually try to play a practice round, unless it's a private club and I can't get on. I'll make notes about the greens and what I want to hit off each tee, then force myself to acually hit those clubs. It can be hard to play conservative sometimes! I will also take note of any unusual circumstances. For example, there is one hole at my course where the approach will always require an extra club because of the wind even though you can't feel it. Just stuff like that. I also try to get in extra practice time to work on shots/clubs I am not comfortable with. I feel like my strategy is working okay. But on the other hand, maybe not really thinking about it would be more helpful. I don't know...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I'm a hacker so by definition my game is inconsistent. When I practice more i was able to play down to a 7.8 index, but with kids and little time to practice, I'm floating around a 16 now. This topic was more about what everyone else did to prep for a round and what worked and didn't work for them. I may change it up this year though and not worry about placing in the top 10 :D Who knows, that might be the ticket for me !

MDGolfHacker

Haha, I did not see the hacker name.

When I play on tournaments I will try play one or two rounds by myself where I replicate tournament conditions. Everything from the breakfast to warm-up to the last putt. I'm going to be in my own head most of the tournament round so I don't like playing with any of my buddies who will be taking me out of that mindset.

Over prep has definitely worked against me in the past, when I have charted too many specifics then get a different wind or firmness or set of tees than I anticipated. Then I get lost and a bit panicky, which is how Rory looked to me.

What has worked out best for me is being familiar enough with the course to know where the trouble is from the tee and to really think about where the hole location is relative to where I want to putt or chip from. In fact if I focus on hole location from the hole backwards I'm able to think through my shots more effectively.

As far as yardage to obstacles I find the Skycaddie watch to be very helpful in plotting out those shots.

Of course playing tournaments on a day when you have control of your golf ball helps as well :)

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

A lot of tournament golf is preparing the mental game. In that context, one of the best ways to prep for a tournament round is to make it as much like your prep for a regular round as possible. Go through the same pre-round routine as on your 'no-stress' rounds and that can help settle the nerves.

Going in with a game plan is always a plus, but find a way to work that into the pre-round routine. Once I go through my regular warmup (putting, chipping, then full swing) I do a couple of rehearsals of the 1st hole tee and approach shots. That has helped some to reduce the first tee tourney jitters.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I do the same as you with with some days of only putting and chipping/approach work mixed in. When I go to the range, I also try to do a bit more tee shot work with all the clubs I'm planning/thinking about hitting on the Par 4's & 5's.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Great suggestions all!  I'm playing a solstice tourney (54 holes in one day) this coming monday but on a course I haven't played before ( I already looked at the course map and distances but that will be all the prep I'll do this go around besides a bit more focus during league this week.  Plus, I'm going into this tourney testing out the new Cobra F8 one length irons/ F8 Driver/fairway woods with only one round under my belt with them.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

For starters forget about what touring pros do in a major - they are professional athletes, in great shape, with a ton of shots to choose from - you're a 16 just trying to keep it in play.

So whatever you do don't over prepare!  The closer you can stay to your normal routine - the better.  I'm assuming these tournaments are on the same course so you know the course.  The only thing that I would really change is to play range practice rounds during your sessions for a couple of weeks prior to the tournaments.

The better approach would be to find ways to play more competitive golf.  No one is going to be sharp just playing a couple of tournaments a season.  Leagues at the course that you will play your tournaments on are a great way to accomplish that particularly if you can find a league with a stroke play component.  The mental toughness necessary for tournament golf is like any other skill, it needs to be practiced to improve upon it.  Mid pack at best is exactly what you should expect if all you do is play a couple of competitive rounds a season - this is a case where a money game with the same foursome doesn't help because that's comfortable - unless the money that you are playing for isn't. 

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't really play tournaments anymore. But I've played a ton through the years. So what did I do to prepare?

Basically nothing! I was already playing enough and practicing some. Mostly playing a lot. I already new the courses as I'd played these tournaments year after year. Most of the time except for the club championship these tournaments were partnerships and a low ball format. I just went out and treated my game like any other day. That being .... to play the best I could. Sometimes I did and other times I didn't. Same for everyone else in the field. We're all amateurs with jobs, family, etc. Guys sometimes try and make too much out these things IMO.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Typically I really work on putting and chipping. I can't do much else to fix my swing a week before play.

I also make sure that when I'm on the course I continually check my mental game. This is usually where I lose most shots is following a bad shot with beating myself up and then having another bad shot.

Reminding myself that golf is all about playing bad golf as well as I can helps focus me back instead of being upset and compounding a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

DJ was quoted as saying "If I can't learn a course in 3 days then I am in the wrong line of work".

Plus he has the help of a caddie taking extensive notes and walking every foot of the green. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The best way to prepare for a tournament is to play in more tournaments. The mind is a funny thing and under tournament conditions it is way different than a normal round. Golf is a game of misses. How you control your misses is the best way to lower scores. In tournaments your misses are more and usually more extreme. Generally what I do is focus on the shots I am struggling with at the time. Whether that's starting the putt on the line I am looking or hooking my long irons, I will focus on fixing those in preparation. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

For me I always try and see the course at least 2 weeks before I play. I also will get on google earth and look at the course from above to see what and where the trouble is.

For my game I will practice my putting from 8' and in. If I am making those putts then I know my stroke is good.

As far as my swing goes I'm not going to change anything at my age. I know I hit a draw. And that's what I'm looking to do. I will practice my wedges though. 130 yards and in I will save myself and can score very well. This also gives me confidence that my swing is where it needs to be.

But most importantly is the mental game. You have to remain positive and remember par is your friend. If your struggling and can still make par it does a lot for your confidence and the rest of the round.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Plans are great but is it realistic? I know for myself I can map a course out all I want, but I am very lofty in what I think I can do lol. I know that my 3 wood goes about 265 off the deck, the problem is I haven't hit if well off the deck in like 3 years. Yet I still heck my yardage and say oh that is a 3 wood and then I can go for eagle and it doesn't happen, but I do was smart and pulled out my 3 hybrid I know I can control from 230ish to 250 if I go at it would be the smarter play.

We all if we are honest know what we can do even in an off day but if we don't keep the 6 inches between our ears in control the beat plan is worthless.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

Our City Championship is in August, so to start my prep I've schedule another lesson with my Pro. I will have been doing the original drills for about a month and a half, so then this will give me three weeks to take what he gives me to get them hammered-out before tee-time. I generally like to get the swing worked-out at the range with a medium bucket, then do 30 min of chipping, and 30 min of putting 2-3 times a week prior to a tourney. This has always been pretty good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I honestly don't prepare for them any different than a normal round. In this case like you, I've never seen this course before. So I will look at the online yardage books, just to get an idea of what it looks like off the tee. It apparently isn't overly long 6300 from the fees we will be playing and many as tee shots only requring a drive of 230 to 240 to be in good position on most holes.

So other than that, I'll play each shot as if comes. As others have mentioned, I dont play enough Tournament golf (league doesnt count) to really have any great expectations from a place standpoint. My expectation will be to hopefully hit the ball solid, have fun and don't embarrass myself.

Oh i will practice putting this weekend. After having no sense of speed tonight.

after 3 years in the bag, the X7M must have heard something special is coming soon.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I use to get prepped up by drinking a six pack of cold beer.  :wacko:  Since I don't drink any more nor do I play tournament golf, I just enjoy the day as it is.  A small bucket of range balls, a few putts, and then off with the old coots for a round (of golf).  ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Back at RP58's comments about sticking to the plan through the recovery.

You never know what score is going to win a tournament. There aren't score boards and last year's score may not be indicative of this years.

For example, same course, same field I won a one day tournament with a 73 and the next year finished T2 with an 80. My playing partners asked me why I was grinding it out the last couple of holes and I said because I think high 70's wins and 79 is in the money. It's windy, the tees have been back on lots of holes and the pins are in unusual spots.

79 won and 80 finished in the money.

I would modify RP58s comments a bit for myself. The question always is “what play from here will get me in the hole in the fewest amount of strokes?” Unless I'm totally out of it that's always what I'm asking. Sometimes the proper play is away from the hole or green.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived