TESTERS WANTED! ×

GIs vs Cavity Backs vs Blades

Northerndan

What gives you the most distance all things equal.

I have been gaming a set ping g10s since they first came out but I got the itch this year and decided to purchase some new irons. I tried a few out including z765 and 718 AP2s and loved them both but my wallet didn't so I ended up purchasing a set of Nike Vr Combos for a pretty good price and to get a feel for a less forgiving club with a shaft that better suits my swing and gives me time to save up to upgrade later.

Should I expect a distance loss by switching to Cbs from the G10s if the lofts are the same? (the nikes are 1 deg weaker)

I played a round taking quite a few shots with my buddy's 690 Mbs and I found I gained half a club even though they play with 2 degrees weaker. This was the opposite of what I expected. The Ap2 and 765s both with half a club further as well but I assumed that was because of new tech and better fitting shaft.

I will follow up with some stats and reviews once I get a few rounds with my Nike combos.

In my      Ping  Hoofer: with clicgear 3.5  

Driver:    Callaway Rogue 9* set to 8* with draw, Project x Evenflow Blue xstiff 6.5 65g

3W:         Ping G-Series  set to 15*, Alta 65 graphite stiff-flex

5W:         Ping G-Series  set to 18*, Alta 65 graphite stiff-flex

4H:          Ping G-Series 22* 4-Hybrid, Alta 70 graphite stiff-flex

Irons:      Ping G-10, Green Dot, Ping AWT Stiff, 5-P

Wedge:   Cleveland RTX-3 wedge shaft, 50, 56, 60

Putter:     Ping Craz-E G2i  or  Nike Method S2-12

Ball:       B330RX, AVX,  Z-Star or whatever I find on the course

Shoes:  footjoy flexfit

I have been gaming a set ping g10s since they first came out but I got the itch this year and decided to purchase some new irons. I tried a few out including z765 and 718 AP2s and loved them both but my wallet didn't so I ended up purchasing a set of Nike Vr Combos for a pretty good price and to get a feel for a less forgiving club with a shaft that better suits my swing and gives me time to save up to upgrade later.

Should I expect a distance loss by switching to Cbs from the G10s if the lofts are the same? (the nikes are 1 deg weaker)

I played a round taking quite a few shots with my buddy's 690 Mbs and I found I gained half a club even though they play with 2 degrees weaker. This was the opposite of what I expected. The Ap2 and 765s both with half a club further as well but I assumed that was because of new tech and better fitting shaft.

I will follow up with some stats and reviews once I get a few rounds with my Nike combos.

It will vary by person. You might be benefitting from the extra loft and spin - providing you with extra carry distance.

Assuming dynamic loft and club head speed is the same with each also I would expect the GI's to go the the farthest due to it wanting to launch higher and likely having a design that allows for more face flex to create more ball speed. CB's & Blades should be near identical. With that said, everyone is different so it wouldn't surprise me if that isn't the case for a lot of people. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

For some people it's the opposite, SGI can launch so high that you end up losing distance, even with stronger lofts.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Why not go to a fitter and get a truer comparison? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Why not go to a fitter and get a truer comparison?

Just do this - you will thank us later.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Not everyone has a fitter that's worth their salt within a days drive.

I wouldn't let the guy by me measure my wrist to floor and expect him to get it right.

So the “get fitted” is not always an option for everyone.

Yes, that's a great option if you have one near by, want to pay the fee, and golf more than 2 times a year.

I'm adding “Get Fit” to my list of over used words.

Try them all see which works best for you.

REVKEV, RP58, Tony@CIC and now Me:

For the best comparison, see your local club fitter.

If you want to see the difference between club head performance, they need to be on the same shaft.

Generically speaking though as you move from SGI toward blades the main difference will be mis-hit performance. SGIs will let you miss the sweet spot by a bit more without losing as much performance. The trade-off being they are engineered to correct your misses so they tend to have less workability. The closer you are to a blade iron, the closer you need to be to the sweet spot. Miss it by a little, and yardage and accuracy both pay the price.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Cape Breton is a pretty remote area of Canada fellas - beautiful but pretty out of the way. I am guessing you can only find a fitter in Halifax.

Not much to add to what has been said above. The biggest difference is with off-center hit performance, not so much differences in distance—assuming the shaft is not completely wrong for you. Those Nikes are a great set, nothing wrong with them for now.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

If you are already saving money for a newer set, I think going the trial and error path is counterproductive. Assuming you can resell the clubs that don't work for you, you'll be taking a small hit every time. Do that with 5 sets and it's money you could have invested better such as travel to another city for a fitting or buy a newer model.

On the other hand, most fitters won't be able to offer older models, so your fitting data doesn't automatically carry over from new to old irons.

MGS is a great place to ask for a comparison of similar clubs, as most members can share their thoughts when they hit them.

At the beginning, when I was on a budget, I came here asking for purchase advice for an older driver and 3W to kill spin: few members here recommended the Adams Fast12LS and the X2Hot Pro, which were exactly what I was looking for and they were truly a bargain on eBay. If they hadn't worked out, it would be my own problem, since people were suggesting based on their swing and experience. So I guess I was just lucky.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

you'll lose distance but you won't know how much till you try them. GI sets are typically cast, thin faced, hollow bodied, all of which promote forgiveness and distance but not necessarily feel or control over the ball flight. The Nike clubs are a forged set with a smaller head, less offset, etc, designed more for that control and feel (good feeling set I might add) I played the Nike pro combos and they're great clubs, you're getting a good set just not the longest.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived