TESTERS WANTED! ×

Anyone Playing Persimmon?

deejaid

So I joined a club with an old school course; 6400 yards, narrow tree-lined fairways, and small greens. Accuracy off the tee is much more important than distance. I'm really thinking a nice set of persimmon woods would be wonderful for this course. I'm thinking maybe a set of Wood Bros blonde woods would be sweet. Also looking at Ping Zings, Peerless Pete, and Louisville golf woods.

I know Stu probably swings the persimmons once and awhile but do any of you other guys break out the persimmons on shorter courses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

So I joined a club with an old school course; 6400 yards, narrow tree-lined fairways, and small greens. Accuracy off the tee is much more important than distance. I'm really thinking a nice set of persimmon woods would be wonderful for this course. I'm thinking maybe a set of Wood Bros blonde woods would be sweet. Also looking at Ping Zings, Peerless Pete, and Louisville golf woods.

I know Stu probably swings the persimmons once and awhile but do any of you other guys break out the persimmons on shorter courses?

I own a driver but its mostly for decoration now. If you get something go with the Louisville Golf woods and get a short set from National Customs. Perfect old school bag

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Typically your control won't be as good with those. I watched a Rick Shields video where he tested Persimmon or Laminated woods. The problem was control. Ball flight was much more inconsistent. My last set of woods were traditional size metal woods. Control was the issue with those any ball of center is potentially a big problem. Now if you are a consistent middle of the club face hitter, they will work fine.

I would wrather play a modern hybrid than a vintage wood as I find my hybrid is really straight hitting. It is also forgiving if I am a bit off the toe or heal.

I have thought about getting a Persimmon driver to hit on the range for fun. However, I would not play one personally. Regardless of how far you hit the ball I find modern woods easier to control.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

I've got a Cleveland Classic persimmon 5 wood I'm going to take to the range today to hit against my 20* Adams DHY Pro Hybrid. Will see how it goes.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Well I should - I was longer with my Eye 2 5 wood the last time I hit it 15 years ago than I am with my big headed driver today.

Okay so I was 46 and lived in Wisconsin then but why bother sweating the details.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

got a Titleist 3 wood persimmon, striping a balata ball from a tee surrounded by trees gets a great sound.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

got a Titleist 3 wood persimmon, striping a balata ball from a tee surrounded by trees gets a great sound.

Yes - I remember it well. :)

It's a much better sound than a balata ball striking a tree - that's for certain.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... I have 2 custom made McGregor M85's and a Cleveland Classic DG43 I pull out once a year and play 9 holes to remind me how lucky we are to have 460cc drivers with high MOI. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Well the first swing was a low line drive but subsequent swings had some beautiful height and flew quite nice. Im not sure of the Cleveland Classic 5 woods loft but my Adams dhy 20* hybrid was an easy 15-20 yards further.

Very satisfying feeling and a lot of fun though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Well the first swing was a low line drive but subsequent swings had some beautiful height and flew quite nice. Im not sure of the Cleveland Classic 5 woods loft but my Adams dhy 20* hybrid was an easy 15-20 yards further.

Very satisfying feeling and a lot of fun though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That club gave me my 1st eagle, a 250 yrd blind shot, my cousin said look in the hole & I said yeah, right. He went over & pulled my ball out. Lol

I still have my Dad's custom build D-5 woods (persimmon) and a few old-school sets of blades that I take out once or twice a year. Really, these are wall-hangers, but it's fun to do. Distance, control, and yes , "accuracy" all suffer massively except on center strikes (still lose a lot of distance with the woods), but good fun on "old school" day.

Side note- growing up playing stuff like this, it might have made me a better golfer than if I had the stuff we have today- not necessarily shoot better scores, but you had to have good technique and think about what you were doing, as opposed to just spray and pray...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I'm not playing persimmons anymore. I prefer something in the 460cc range myself.

But if you want to hit one in the Screws; this is what you'll need.

20180623_172021.jpg

20180623_172036.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm not playing persimmons anymore. I prefer something in the 460cc range myself.

But if you want to hit one in the Screws; this is what you'll need.

attachicon.gif20180623_172021.jpg

attachicon.gif20180623_172036.jpg

Sad that some have never had the pleasure of looking down at a beautifully finished wood club behind the ball. I still like hitting a 460cc driver but there is something special about hitting wood woods.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I saw a beautiful set of Hogan persimmon woods and blades at Bayou on Sunday - they were Brent's, the guy who played on the Euro and US tour -

Just gorgeous clubs

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have a set of Sam Snead woods in the garage. If I ever decide to play them, I'm going to wear wool pants and a sweater on a summer's day and wear shoes two sizes too small. I mean, if I'm going to torture myself, I might as well go all out.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Make sure to put extra starch in your collar.

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

If hitting fairways and being consistent is your goal then I'd suggest cutting down a modern driver to 42-43".  You'll lose 10-15 yards most likely but you'll also probably find it as easy to hit as a green with a chip from the fringe.  I'm trying to find some good quality used persimmons to mess around with myself but in no way do I think I'd be more accurate with them compared to the modern and very forgiving giant driver heads available today. 

In my attic, I still have:

- An ancient MacGregor Tommy Armour Tourney persimmon Driver that's god knows how old

- My Sounder Seve Ballesteros Tour Limited persimmon driver from 1986

- My grandfather's Titleist persimmon woods from 1980-something

I will never get rid of any of them, but I'm afraid I'd split them if I hit them.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I have an old Judy Rankin 1-3-5 set of woods here at the house that belongs to my wife's grandma. I regripped the driver the other day just to try it out. Hit it one the screws and it's okay. Miss it just a tiny bit though and you are up a creek!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

If hitting fairways and being consistent is your goal then I'd suggest cutting down a modern driver to 42-43". You'll lose 10-15 yards most likely but you'll also probably find it as easy to hit as a green with a chip from the fringe. I'm trying to find some good quality used persimmons to mess around with myself but in no way do I think I'd be more accurate with them compared to the modern and very forgiving giant driver heads available today.

I already play my normal driver at 44.5” and I'm pretty accurate with it.

I don't think I'll be more accurate than normal with persimmon, but my new home course is an old course built in the late 1940's, relatively short with an emphasis on accuracy, so a shorter persimmon driver wouldn't be much of a handicap on this course.

I don't doubt for a minute that a modern driver is more accurate, more forgiving, and longer than a persimmon, but what about the sensation of hitting a wood head? The ability to play a hole the way it was played 50 years ago, with similar equipment. That interests me.

I'm also into woodworking and 90% of what I do is with hand tools. Hand saws, hand planes, chisels, draw knife, spokeshave. Could I do it faster with power tools? Yes, but it would also be noisier and more than likely will not have as tight of tolerances. It's the difference between working wood and machining wood.

Sometimes, it's the same with golf. I can pull out a club used generations ago that still works wonderfully and get incredible results. Will it go as far as a modern club? No, but you can still make a birdie with it. Old isn't obsolete. It might not be the quickest, or longest, it's just a different why of doing things.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

^^this is precisely why I play the "old school" clubs every so often.

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Archived