TESTERS WANTED! ×

4-Man scramble strategy?

denbro17

I am participating in my first 4 person scramble this weekend since quite a few years ago and I am a much better golfer now. What have you found is a good strategy for a 4 person scramble?

The other three guys are your average golf once or twice a year guys, but really fun to golf with! I'm not too sure on the specific rules to this scramble. Obviously, I just want to go out and have fun but let's assume there is no cheating (big assumption), what are some good key points and strategies that can help us get a lower score? 

Make birdies

Have fun

Drink beer

Not always in that order!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Since your partners don't play regularly, I'd hold off on trying to formulate any specific strategy until you know exactly what everyone is bringing to the table.

Basically though, you typically want to have your strongest player for any given shot go last - this could be the same person every time or maybe a different golfer for each type of shot (i.e. Driving, Approach, Short Game, Bunker, Putting). There are sometimes exceptions to this like if the player doesn't handle pressure very well.

Another recommendation would be to make sure you have a good ball in play before taking on risky shots. Other than that, just go out and have fun.

If your playing partners aren't that serious about trying to shoot the lowest score and carefully following a specific strategy, go along with it and just relax. It can be difficult, but you'll have much more fun if you don't feel like you're trying to pull them along on every hole.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

If you've got a good tee shot away, don't try and smash it, play your normal swing but take a more aggressive line. Most importantly, have fun and don't get disappointed when you get beaten by cheats!

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

If you've got a good tee shot away, don't try and smash it, play your normal swing but take a more aggressive line. Most importantly, have fun and don't get disappointed when you get beaten by cheats!

Exactly, we got beat last summer... these 4 hacks were “-11” through 9. I saw some of their shots... there is no way.

I always went first or second, because the rest of my team were “so so” golfers, that way I did t add an extra “pressure” to myself. I think we finished -14, and that was near the middle of the pack.

I like playing in the big scrambles, played a few events while I was in Virginia and there were hundreds of people, we got smoked in these ones, but I was the only avid golfer on my team, so it was me against the world. (Still fun and what really gave me the golf bug again). Then a few back in Michigan where there were only 6-10 teams.

I'd recommend saving shots. Unless it is a everyone hits sort of thing, I mean if you have a good ball in the middle of the fairway, why waste the energy?

With my teams, we usually mix the order up. Everyone needs to hit good shots so everyone should feel some pressure regardless of skill. I'm the long hitter so I usually hit last on driving holes so I know how much risk to take.

Fun side story: one time (at band camp) we were on a drivable par 4 and the first 3 guys hit their shots in the hazard. I said "maybe I better take hybrid so we can wedge in." The elder statesman in the group says "F* that, get the big dog and put us on the green." Pressure intensifies. Welp, it's on him now if this doesn't work out....still pretty satisfying to see the ball rolling up to the tier the pin was on. Didn't make the putt because it was long but made an easy birdie.

Ok back to the topic. Besides those tee shots, we basically play ready golf. Keep this baby moving and let's have fun and drink beer. If there's a tee shot in the fairway that you can't best, that's a good time to take a practice shot for whatever the approach will be.

If someone stuffs one close, we'll let them take the first crack at the birdie. Generally speaking though, you don't want your worst putter going first because they'll give the rest a terrible read. You want someone that can at least get the speed right most of the time...then obviously save your best putter for last. These things always come down to putting.

But most importantly, these are supposed to be fun events. My team has won our work Tournament the last 2 years and I still make sure to take part in copious amounts of the festivities. If you go out there trying to win, it's no fun. Just be realistic of your team's skill set and be happy if you can do well for what you brought.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

2 strategies I've always considered.

1) Have fun with your friends and who cares what you score

2) Try to win

-Drive - have your best driver try to put one in the fairway, then let everyone else try to bomb a lucky one

-2nd/3rd shot - Best ball striker try to get it close with a safe shot, then let the rest try for the hole

-Putting - worst putter goes first and best goes last to give the best idea of the line. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

2) Try to win

-Drive - have your best driver try to put one in the fairway, then let everyone else try to bomb a lucky one

-2nd/3rd shot - Best ball striker try to get it close with a safe shot, then let the rest try for the hole

-Putting - worst putter goes first and best goes last to give the best idea of the line.

Have fun - yes!

I don't like the worst putter first though - he's generally the worst putter because he misshits his putts, often. That can mess the entire group up as they try and dial in the line. Stick the worst guy in the middle.

Let the best in each category decide when he wants to hit. In the end it's a crap shoot but I've found that strategy works best.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2) Try to win

I have won my fair share of Scrambles and this recipe will assure you that you will not win. No offense but possibly the worst scramble advice ever.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

For a scramble you need to just have fun. I never worry about winning these events.  They are purely fun and enjoy the day with your friends.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Obviously it will be fun with your buddies but everyone likes to compete.

On drives, get one out in play. Then have the following guys take aggressive swings to targets that will set up a good following shot. Dont let the big drivers in the bunch donate to the woods. Aggressive, but smart play.

On second shots a weaker player will be first but encourage him to club up. Almost every high HPer comes up a club short. With someone on or near the green then go not necessarily pin seeking but playing to the correct side of the hole.

For putting you want a better putter putting first. He will give everyone else the line and speed. Then your worst guy has a chance and then in order to the anchor.

Being in the fairway and in position to make a good run at a putt is the easiest way to score well. A lot of guys will really fudge a card but coming in with a real score the is in the - double digit range is a lot of fun.

These are really won on the putting surface. A long hitter will give the group a shot at an eagle or two but consistently being in correct position gives you the best chance to score... just like in real golf.

Never really worried about strategy until putting, will be pretty evident who the best putter is early, let a good putter go first to show the line then the rest and set it up for the closer.

I like the scramble format but never think about winning it as there is always a team of sandbaggers who comes in at some insanely low score, not going to beat them.

Last tourney I was at used handicaps for scoring, the team that won was -31 and there high handicapper stated they were a 22. they did not play like a 22.  

drink some beer and enjoy the round with buddies.  

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I have won my fair share of Scrambles and this recipe will assure you that you will not win. No offense but possibly the worst scramble advice ever.

It was option 1 or 2 not both. It's won scrambles for me and friends before

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I think everyone's given pretty good advice. I've played in a few scrambles myself and it's always good to have a reliable golfer get a good shot out first and then let everyone else swing for the fences and try to stick it close.

For putting, it's a great idea to get someone to give everyone a good read on the line right off the bat, so at least a decent putter first for a good read and then a good anchor in case no one else can knock it in.

I can't tell you how many birdies I've missed out on because someone couldn't drain a putt to save their life.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

If you're the best player tee off last. If one of them gets you in the fairway then you can unleash. If not, you can play it safe with a 3-wood or even an iron. Also putt last and help everyone read the putts. That's really the only strategy involved. The rest is to have a good time and shoot low

It always comes down to putting. You have to find a good order in putting. Depending on how the guys you have with you putt. You want the worst putter to go first, unless the guys just can't putt, the job of the first guy is to give good speed based on the read the group has given. The second guy is the next worst then the last 2 putters are the better putters, but no always.

I generally putt better as the last guy, I get 3 looks before I go, I have 2 brothers that are really good putters, so one goes first, because he like to read the line and find the speed on his own, the other one goes 3rd and I will go last. He hardest Part is finding a rotation that everyone is comfortable with, then go with that. If that isn't working, change it up. Always make sure that all 4 guys are watching the first putt, I hate when the first guy walks up and putts, and no one on the team is watching. So they have no idea what the putt is doing. Usually in these things there is always a ball that is in play, so driving and approach aren't as big, it's all about making putts.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

, Have fun and give each other encouragement. Don't rag on guys who are playing bad and not contributing anything because I'm sure they feel shitty enough for not being a good teammate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm playing in a scramble tomorrow, and my main goal is to keep my teammate happy. Okay, so it is a couples scramble, and my teammate is my wife. :lol:  So this is a goal I try to live by everyday. Although it doesn't always work.

I don't play in lot's of scrambles, but when I do I usually go first. I'm by nature a fast player and standing around waiting for everyone to decide what club to hit and all of them trying to hit an 8 iron farther than everyone else, it breaks my rhythm. I also am not the longest hitter, but generally in the fairway and playable. We generally use some other drive, and I often play a very controlled shot onto the green and then let them take the hero shots at the flag.

Once on the green, I prefer to putt first because I usually either sink the first putt or at least get it with it within a few inches of the hole, giving everyone a good read. One year in an annual 6 man scramble I made 16 one putts and 14 in a row. We won that year.

The only advise I would give that hasn't been given is to have everyone putt even if the ball is in the hole. This is so that everyone stays attuned to the green speed.

Oh, and one more thing, never say "Come on buddy we really need this!" I had a 17" birdie putt one time and I was just about to go knock it in the hole and someone said that, and I became nervous. I made it but as I was walking up to it, I had no thought about missing it, but suddenly, I became afraid of missing it, after making putts from all over the green.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

It's been covered pretty damn well for you, but putting is king. Most scrambles can find their way on the green in regulation. Find the best rotation for sinking putts.

Also, enjoy the friends and booze. That is the more important element to a scramble.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I am participating in my first 4 person scramble this weekend since quite a few years ago and I am a much better golfer now. What have you found is a good strategy for a 4 person scramble?

The other three guys are your average golf once or twice a year guys, but really fun to golf with! I'm not too sure on the specific rules to this scramble. Obviously, I just want to go out and have fun but let's assume there is no cheating (big assumption), what are some good key points and strategies that can help us get a lower score? 

IMO there is only one strategy that matters.... Make as many birdies and eagles as you can and never make a bogey. The occasional times I do play a scramble is to support a charity. Those are the only scrambles I'll participate in. The point being; support a charity. Winning or placing is not the point. Scrambles that are held for prizes and pro shop gift certificates (non-charity) are a cheaters paradise. And yes... I used to play in them occasionally. Think I'm exaggerating? Go play a scramble and turn in an "honest" card with 18-22 under thinking your team might have a chance to win. You won't. Certainly not 1st. To put it kindly; you'll be Pencil Whipped. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

If you're the best player tee off last. If one of them gets you in the fairway then you can unleash. If not, you can play it safe with a 3-wood or even an iron. Also putt last and help everyone read the putts. That's really the only strategy involved. The rest is to have a good time and shoot low

This response is probably the best advice I've seen so far.

I've become somewhat of an expert on scrambles, as I have a weekly Tuesday night 9-hole scramble that I take part in, along with several annual charity tournaments where we pair up four guys in a scramble and go at it.

Before you tee off, determine who is the A (best), B, C and D (worst) player.  A player is in charge (captain) and chooses which ball to hit, and tees off last.  D player always goes first, followed by C, then B.

Having done so many of these I usually feel out the personalities of the guys I am grouped with and even though I am usually the "A" player, I often find a very outgoing personality to let be in charge.  The secret that I've found in these things is to try and make everyone in your group as comfortable as possible.  If you are tight, or nervous, or take these things too seriously on the first tee, you will all suck that night, and won't score low at all.

It never fails that the times I show up and try and press because I really want to go low for whatever reason, I'll end up shooting -3 as a group.  But like last night, I was with guys I knew, and were comfortable with, and we just played casually and ended up going -8 for nine holes.  But I always try and make everyone in my group as relaxed and comfortable as possible.

Once a year I team up with 3 guys from my company where I am actually the C player, as two guys I work with are scratch.  But I have discovered that the two scratch guys play better with "swing lube" before the first tee.  So I buy them a couple of beers before we tee off and voila, they bring their "A" game right away.

Think of your scramble like family.  Everyone is somewhat nervous and awkward on the first tee, but by the 4th or 5th hole you are cracking jokes, and making fun of each other in a good way.  Laugh a lot, don't take it too seriously, and as I try and do, try and hit a few good shots and the rest will take care of itself.

Putting ultimately makes all the difference in these scrambles.  If you can't get any approach shots inside of 15 feet it probably won't matter how good the players you have in your group are.  But if I have putts inside 15 feet all day, chances are one guy out of four will drain something of that length or shorter.

The drive is highly overrated in a scramble, as long as someone puts one in the fairway.  I've become the master of the 60 yard wedge shot because in the scrambles I play in, we play the forward tees, and I can count on having 3 or 4 60 yard wedge shots into par 4s that night.  It's those shots that I need to get within 10 feet to score with.

Finally, and I cannot stress this enough, and I tell my team this every week when we play.  I don't give a crap how hard you hit the putt, as long as you don't leave it short of the hole.  In going last, I am reading your putt, and you leaving it short of the hole doesn't do anything to help me.  So I tell the first guy to hit it at least 4 feet past the hole and give me a good read.  And you'd be surprised how many times that guy I tell to hit it 4 feet past the hole ends up just barely getting it to the hole, and a lot of times he makes it more out of luck than anything else.  It truly is amazing to me how many golfers I play with in scrambles leave putts short.  That's stupid to me, because who cares if you miss - you have 3 guys behind you to hit it too.  Hit the dang thing 6 feet past the hole for all I care.  Just give me a good read.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Two things I want to say, and I feel I'm qualified to, because I have an account, and I won our staff scramble last week. Well, we won...

The first thing is have matching shirts/clothes. That way everyone knows you're a team. You can't have any wildcards out there, mavericking and doing their own thing. In fact, do everything together, it promotes team unity. Chug beer, pee in the bushes, and hitting OB should be done in tandem.

The thing I like to do is on shorter game shots (chips/pitches on par 5's or shorter par 4's) let everyone hit the shot they're comfortable with obviously, but sometimes it makes sense to hit difference types of shots. I like to hit more higher lofted shots, one of the other guys was a better chipper. That way, if you get into a situation where you have lots of green, or you're short-sided, somebody in your group is feeling in the groove with their short game, you don't have to force anything. My 2 cents.

But seriously, matching shirts. One of the guys in our group was named Clifford, so clearly we wore red shirts and barked everytime we hit a good shot, The Big Red Dawgs baby!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Archived