Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ball logo/name/line placement

In golf we have 2 chances to place the ball PRECISELY how we want it.

1) on the tee box

2) on the green

Every ball that I've ever seen has some sort of writing on it.  Whether it is the manufacturer or something else there is at least some word or combination of words.

Being able to manipulate the ball position gives us two chances to use this writing on the ball to our advantage.

Do you do that and if so how?

i.e. "Titleist" points directly up at you (North) or it points at the clubface (East) or it is slightly askew promoting more of an in to out swing....

Are the "words" perpendicular to your target or parallel?

Or perhaps you use a 'line' on the ball and utilize that?

Just curious if there might be some little trick that I'm not taking advantage of...I've fiddled with a few different techniques.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

In golf we have 2 chances to place the ball PRECISELY how we want it.

1) on the tee box

2) on the green

Every ball that I've ever seen has some sort of writing on it.  Whether it is the manufacturer or something else there is at least some word or combination of words.

Being able to manipulate the ball position gives us two chances to use this writing on the ball to our advantage.

Do you do that and if so how?

i.e. "Titleist" points directly up at you (North) or it points at the clubface (East) or it is slightly askew promoting more of an in to out swing....

Are the "words" perpendicular to your target or parallel?

Or perhaps you use a 'line' on the ball and utilize that?

Just curious if there might be some little trick that I'm not taking advantage of...I've fiddled with a few different techniques.

I've fiddled too. Certainly on the greens to use the alignment-aid toward my target which is not always the cup BTW... But also now more too so on the tee. I've been setting the ball logo with my 3-dot markings at the 4-o'clock position when viewed from the address position to use as my focus point. I think like you mentioned, that it helps me (sometimes) get a better in-to-out swing. When practicing, I have my alignment sticks angled that way too.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I just put the ball on the tee, and set it on the green, not really lining it up to anything, or looking for a specific orientation. Sometimes I have the name facing the clubface, sometimes the target, sometimes it's the blank area looking up at me. For putting I REALLY don't care...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On the tee box, I typically use the brand logo or model line for alignment, perpendicular to my clubface.

As for on the green, I've found that I tend to over think if I use the same method when putting. I love the alignment aid on my putter as opposed to using the one on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

However it comes out of my pocket and sits on a tee is fine with me. Bam!

I always use the alignment mark on a ball when putting.

That's it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Like Jlukes, I go Blank Side up on the green but also on the tee. No distractions for me.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I usually don't do anything special on the tee...getting off the tee box these days is good enough.

I don't always do this on the green... I always mark my ball with my own line, but sometimes I make the line perpendicular to the balls alignment aid, so it looks like a big T. Then I'll match the line I made with the alignment aid on my putter, and the balls alignment aid parallel with the putter face.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I have been putting an American Flag on my balls. So I tee off with the flag up, then use the alignment sides on the greens.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I do it the old school way. Align it with the logo on both tee and green. Now if I am seriously practicing putting and chipping I have 3 balls set up with alignment marks to basically see how the ball is rolling.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Myself, I place the ball so that I don't see anything on it when I look down. Got enough voices in my head distracting me without seeing things to distract me lol.

For me it helps because I putt more with pace and where I want the ball breaking at the end instead of trying to hit my line in the beginning.

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I draw a line on my ball with a marker. That's the primary alignment 'tool' for me on the green. On the tee I do line it up so the mark would be facing the driver. At impact the ball leaves a mark on the driver giving me a quick visual of where I hit the ball relative to the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

No logo or alignment aids for me. When I look down, I like to see a clear and clean ball what color they may be with all my clubs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

No logo or alignment aids for me. When I look down, I like to see a clear and clean ball what color they may be with all my clubs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

On the tee I don't care it's whatever way when I place it on the tee. On the green I use an empty part of the ball and I'm focused on my intermediate target

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I used to align the proV1 on the tee when it was rumored to impact the ball flight.   Now there is no particular alignment on the tee and when putting I rotate it so I see as much white as possible.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I use a straight line done in blue sharpie on all of my balls. (Usually on top of the alignment aid that is already present)

It's main purpose is to aid in alignment on the putting green to start it rolling on the correct line. Other then that, I pay no attention.

Black and yellow Truvis. Doesn't matter, it all looks the same.

If I use a solid color ball, I line up the putt so I can't see any writing if possible, or the smallest amount possible, if I can see writing it looks weird

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I used to care on the tee box. I rarely do anymore. If I do anything now I go blank side on the tee box. Gives me a relaxed feel like I'm just hitting range balls bc range balls I could care less how it's placed. On the green, in a tournament, I have the marker on the alignment line. Casual play I'll use either logo or alignment

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

On par 4's and 5's I put the ball down so the seam is in line with the target.

On par 3's I put the ball down so the logo faces the target.

While putting all I want to see is white. The logo faces the target.

Many manufacturers have said that the playability is not affected by the seam. It may be horsefeathers but this works for me.

I'm not superstitious but I am a little stitious.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I set the ball up on the tee box with the titleist logo at 7pm (RH golfer) and try to hit the logo with the Club face to promote in to out swing path.

On the green I use AVX or ProV1 (whichever I'm using at the time to line the ball up to my intended target.

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Max Low X stiff flex 

Cobra F8+ 3-4 Wood 2knv green shaft 

Srixon U65 18 Steel Fiber i110x 

Srixon U65 4 iron Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff

Srixon 765 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff flex standard length/ 1 degree flat

Vokey 52/56/60

Bettinardi SS28 Center Shafted Putter

Srixon Zstar XV 2019 

Right Handed

Champaign, IL

USGA handicap index 22.1

Twitter: @darrenp36

Instagram: @dpow36

-- sounds like on the tee there isn't anything really consistent across the board other than having only white showing but on the green some folks seem to use the logo/lettering to help line things up.

I've tried pretty much everything suggested here:

- logo/wording straight up to the sky

- logo/wording at the clubface

- logo/wording parallel

- logo/wording perpendicular

- don't care/whatever

- all white

- logo/wording at an angle/5, 7 o'clock

I tried "all white" at the range today and had some success so I think I'm going to go with that for now and see how it works.

I kind of like the 'no distraction' theory...

On the green I don't draw a line on my ball so I'll probably go all white there too.

Thanks for the comments...good stuff spies!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I don't think about it. On the tee, I use the Jack Nicklaus method and focus on a small target a few feet in front of the ball to start the ball on the right line. On the green, same deal. I honestly have no idea where the logo, number, etc. sits.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

On the tee, I don't set the ball up in a specific way, however on the green I will line up the small line on my Vice ball for the start line of my putt.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I'm another one who prefers to see just white when I look down.  I have a hard time believing that a 1.7-inch long line can be aligned accurately enough to be truly functional in any way, especially for full swings.  A typical shot has to be within about 2 degrees variance left or right from dead center to hit a fairway or green.  Assuming the line runs through the top center of the ball, the line at the front and back would be only 0.03 inches off line to be 2 degrees off.  Not to mention, since you're not standing directly over the ball on full-swing shots, you're actually looking at a curved line, not a straight one.  We just can't see that level of variance.  Of course, that also means we're unlikely to aim the face of our clubs as accurately as we'd like to.  But a typical clubface is a bit longer than the line on the ball, so you have a better chance.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I line up a line on my ball on the green and on the tee.  I started lining up the ball on the green so I could line up my putter to that line.  I don't look at a spot in front of the ball because I look at the hole when I putt.  So, making sure my putter is square to my line is critical.

I also started lining up the ball off the tee.  It helps me focus on a specific part of the fairway that I want to hit.  I have also found that courses set up their tee boxes to point you at hazards or places where you don't want to go.  Just nasty that way!!  By lining up the ball to the fairway, I eliminate the chance of just going to the middle of the tee box and hitting it straight into trouble.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived