Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Looking for a new driver

WardenGolf

Hello fellow golfers! I am currently looking into buying a new driver, I recently bought the Conra F8 but immediately hated it. The person I bought it from took it back for a full return. I am looking into getting either the Taylormade M4 or the Ping G400 Max, does anyone have expierence with either driver? I typically add a lot of spin to the ball, so I would like a drive to cut back on that a little.

Rich

Irons: Mizuno MPH-4 (4-PW)

Driver: Ping G400 LST

Wedges: Cleveland 52, 56, 62

Putter: Rife

Orlando, FL

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I think the shaft is the key component of a driver.

If you did not like the shots you were producing with the Cobra F8 driver, the shaft it had was likely not a good fit for your swing. If you are looking for a new driver I suggest making the shaft your primary focus of interest.

Disagree completely.

A shaft isn't going to reduce spin more than getting the right head.

Any reputable fitter will start by fitting into the right head and then fine tune with a shaft.

Disagree.....you need to try several shafts to find the right kick point....if the F8 Head did not work (as it is weighted to elim slight sliced) did you try the F8+? It is made for higher swing speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Plenty of different opinions (of course lol) but either way, any reputable fitter *cough* would match the right shaft and head to meet your requirements - whatever that may be.

If you've got your radar set on the M4 and/or the G400 the good news is they are both excellent drivers. The bad news is that over 80% of golfers still buy off the rack without getting properly fitted. If you're going down the same route as the experience with the F8 and buying first and regretting later, then I'd say you're in the 80% bracket and a bit of a chump. Do yourself a favour and get yourself properly fitted (and I mean properly fitted) and you'll see an instant improvement in your driving. By being properly fitted, I mean weight, length, loft, bend profile and flex in that order - not by some "expert" swapping shafts in a store until you find a combination that is acceptable. 

For those who said to try the F8+ or a smaller head. I have only been fitted for a drive once about a year ago. But I forgot my swing speed. I know I am on the fringe of extra stiff/stiff. My 7 iron swing speed hovers around 104-105, which is why i use extra stiff irons.

Rich

Orlando, FL

For those who said to try the F8+ or a smaller head. I have only been fitted for a drive once about a year ago. But I forgot my swing speed. I know I am on the fringe of extra stiff/stiff. My 7 iron swing speed hovers around 104-105, which is why i use extra stiff irons.

If you are 104 with 7 iron,  you should be 120-125ish with driver which would be well into X-Stiff, maybe stiffer..   I have seen people say 107ish is the point at which you may be shifting over if you are looking solely at swing speed.

If you want spin reduction,  I would suggest M3 with weights forward.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That fringe is highly dependent on many factors, including the individual type of shaft. Each shaft company has a different threshold for stiffness.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Hello fellow golfers! I am currently looking into buying a new driver, I recently bought the Conra F8 but immediately hated it. The person I bought it from took it back for a full return. I am looking into getting either the Taylormade M4 or the Ping G400 Max, does anyone have expierence with either driver? I typically add a lot of spin to the ball, so I would like a drive to cut back on that a little.

... Inquiring minds want to now. What did you hate about the Conra F8? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

105?!?! And I thought my peak of 100mph with a 130 gram shaft 7iron was fast!!!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

The guy at Club Champion I worked with said the Ping G400 has been the best driver for fitting that they see. He said they for more to the M3 than M4, due to adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'll agree with everyone that says get properly fitted.  I did this year for the first time and it was a great experience.  I ended up buying something totally different that what I would have bought off the rack and the results (+ 20 yards, about 3 more fairways a round and much less punishing mis-hits) speak for themselves.  A quote from one of my regular foursome (and he didn't know that I could hear him) - "he's out with the big boys now".  Not that it should matter to you but I ended up with the Ping G400 (not the Max although that's what I thought I wanted) with a regular flex Alta CB shaft (thought I wanted the Aldila X-Torsion).  The fitting also included Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist and Cobra.

Grumpy is my muse.  He reminds me that it's just a game and not to take myself too seriously.

Currently in my bag, everything regular flex:

Ping G400, Alta CB (with a  Grumpy headcover)

Ping G25 4 wood

Ping G25 20 degree hybrid

Ping G25 23 degree hybrid

Callaway Apex CF16 Black 5 though A wedge

Cleveland CF15 54 degree

Cleveland Smart Sole S

Evnroll ER5 hatchback

... Inquiring minds want to now. What did you hate about the Conra F8?

Every time I miss hit, which for me is normally the heel of the club, the F8 would shred my golf balls. I would pick them up with gouges. I don't know if I'm the only one that has had this happen. I also didn't feel confident hitting it for some reason.

Rich

Orlando, FL

The guy at Club Champion I worked with said the Ping G400 has been the best driver for fitting that they see. He said they for more to the M3 than M4, due to adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I found out that the golf shop by me (Chris Cote's) does free driver fittings. I brought my F8 in and he got me fitted. I hit a few times and he set me up to test the M4, M3, G400 and Rogue. Swing Speed hovers around 101-102 when I have a good swing. I can tell you right now that the G400 was the most forgiving driver out of the 4. I loved the rouge, but for the price point I feel like it's not $100 better than the G400. The M3 didn't feel right. He had me hit the M4 D Type and I immediately started hitting everything way left. In the end I happily bought the Ping G400, 440CC, Extra Stiff 70G. Best drive I have ever hit.

Rich

Orlando, FL

So I found out that the golf shop by me (Chris Cote's) does free driver fittings. I brought my F8 in and he got me fitted. I hit a few times and he set me up to test the M4, M3, G400 and Rogue. Swing Speed hovers around 101-102 when I have a good swing. I can tell you right now that the G400 was the most forgiving driver out of the 4. I loved the rouge, but for the price point I feel like it's not $100 better than the G400. The M3 didn't feel right. He had me hit the M4 D Type and I immediately started hitting everything way left. In the end I happily bought the Ping G400, 440CC, Extra Stiff 70G. Best drive I have ever hit.

I'm curious as to what the fitter's feedback was when you hit the M4 way left.  There's absolutely nothing about the head of that driver that would produce a way left shot.  Did he suggest a shaft change at all?

I'm curious as to what the fitter's feedback was when you hit the M4 way left.  There's absolutely nothing about the head of that driver that would produce a way left shot.  Did he suggest a shaft change at all?

He said he was hitting the D-type, which is their slice fighting driver. It's probably more closed than the others, which would be why he was hitting it left. Seems odd they didn't try a regular M4 though.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Swing Speed hovers around 101-102 when I have a good swing.

So is 107 your 7 iron SS or 102 your driver SS? One of them has to be wrong...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

So is 107 your 7 iron SS or 102 your driver SS? One of them has to be wrong...

My first couple swings just starting with my 7 iron, during my iron fitting were around 107, with my old irons that were not properly fitted. My guy put me in some XStiff Mizunos and the speed dropped to around 102-101. With my new Ping my SS jumped up to around 108. It was a simple case of not getting fitted properly the first time around. If I'm really swinging I can get 110.

Rich

Orlando, FL

Spent the previous eight months of my life working part time in a pro shop that carries Titleist and Ping. It's hard to do much better than the current lineup of Ping drivers. If you truly wanted to knock off some spin, you could easily go G400 LST. Even though the standard G400 heads are less forgiving than the Max, they are still very forgiving compared to other OEMs. If you're set on the G400 Max though I'm sure you could find a shaft that would help with the spin.

No experience with the M4 so I won't comment other than to say that I like the way it looks. The 2016 M2 is still my favorite of all the M drivers though.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Archived