TESTERS WANTED! ×

Black Nitride Iron Refinishing Thread

So as discussed in other threads on here I have decided to send my trusty Srixon Z765's off to Tiger Nick Golf in Ohio to get a Black Nitride coating put on them. I love black weges with a white bottom score line on them and have had better luck aiming that color combination so I figured I would give it a try with my current iron set. I have been playing these irons with UST Recoil 95 shafts in them but decided to go with Steelfiber i110cw's for the irons that Nick will be sending. I had tested that shaft in a 6 iron and wedge and liked the consistency I got with it slightly better than the Recoils.

The Z765's look like this new:

IMG_0704.PNG

And this is what I am hoping to get them to look like:

Srixon-Black-Series-Edition-7.jpg

I pulled the heads and send shafts and grips to Nick last week. The 9 iron and PW were new heads as I had used them a ton and wanted some newer grooves to be sent off.  As part of his service he will strip the old chrome from my heads, refinish in matte Black Nitride, spine align the shafts and assemble the clubs to a pre-agreed swingweight. I prefer a heavy D5 iron swingweight and he was up front that he might not be able to achieve that swing weight with the Steelfiber shafts. Hopefully I won't have to put lead tape back on these like I had before but if so at least he was very up front about it. Here are the heads as they were sent off:

IMG_0683.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0687.JPGIMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0688.JPGIMG_0686.JPG

And this is what the Black Nitride should look like:

IMG_0703.PNG

I was told to expect a 4-5 week turnaround but I heard from Nick the middle of this week and it looks like I might get lucky and get them back in 2-3. I'll post pics of the finsihed products here. Communication has been great so far so I have my fingers crossed that these turn out great.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Tiger Nick Golf does some incredible work!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I'd have went with DLC personally. It'll last a lot longer. Tiger Nick's stuff does come back looking nice though

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'd have went with DLC personally. It'll last a lot longer. Tiger Nick's stuff does come back looking nice though

I have seen varying accounts of how well DLC holds up. Saw a WITB for Horschel when he still had the black PXG irons and they looked really rough. I know each coating has it's + and - though. Hope I chose the right one.

Main decision point for me though was that Tiger Nick does spine aligning and club assembly for same or less price as others would do just the heads. I'll keep everyone informed on how the black nitride holds up.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

They will look awesome in black.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I have seen varying accounts of how well DLC holds up. Saw a WITB for Horschel when he still had the black PXG irons and they looked really rough. I know each coating has it's + and - though. Hope I chose the right one.

Main decision point for me though was that Tiger Nick does spine aligning and club assembly for same or less price as others would do just the heads. I'll keep everyone informed on how the black nitride holds up.

From what I have seen the only Black finish that seems to hold up on irons and wedges is the DMB on Cobra and Maltby clubs. Unfortunately I don't believe it is something that can had as an aftermarket customization

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Agreed.

The black nitride is going to wear much faster.  A true DLC coating (and not just the standard PVD coating) will last much longer.

One of the main reasons I started this thread was to catalog how well (or not) that the finish wears. Lots of threads on other sites about finishes but not many pictures. They get forgotten after one or two rounds or maybe one long range session, but I want to catalog how well these wear. I practice and play a lot so these will get a work out one way or the other.

The only long term pictures I found of DLC were Horschels PXG irons and they looked really beat up and uneven. But if they Nitride doesn't work on these I may go that route with another set. Or just buy a set of DBM Maltbys lol. I know I want black irons and I haven't been able to find the info I wanted so i am going to try and create it, whether that result is good or bad.

Hopefully if others have their irons done they will do the same so we can actually compare the finishes once they have been used hard.

One of the main reasons I started this thread was to catalog how well (or not) that the finish wears. Lots of threads on other sites about finishes but not many pictures. They get forgotten after one or two rounds or maybe one long range session, but I want to catalog how well these wear. I practice and play a lot so these will get a work out one way or the other.

The only long term pictures I found of DLC were Horschels PXG irons and they looked really beat up and uneven. But if they Nitride doesn't work on these I may go that route with another set. Or just buy a set of DBM Maltbys lol. I know I want black irons and I haven't been able to find the info I wanted so i am going to try and create it, whether that result is good or bad.

Hopefully if others have their irons done they will do the same so we can actually compare the finishes once they have been used hard.

I will try to post some pictures soon of my Cobra King Pros from when I got them back in March and what they look like now for comparison.

From what I have seen the only Black finish that seems to hold up on irons and wedges is the DMB on Cobra and Maltby clubs. Unfortunately I don't believe it is something that can had as an aftermarket customization

I believe you are right on this, or at least I couldn't find anyone that offered it. Reviews I have read about it say that it is a great wearing finish.

Got great news from Nick today, the irons were finished ahead of schedule and should ship back out to me tomorrow, which is a good two weeks sooner than anticipated.

For a reminder, this is what my heads looked like before:

IMG_0683.JPG

And here is the picture of my iron heads that Nick sent me today:

Srixon Z765 Irons Black 6 2018.png

I will post more pictures when the assembled irons arrive and wear pics as they start to get used.

Those look great!! I hope the finish holds up well.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Those look great!! I hope the finish holds up well.

Me too! I have heard good reviews but time will tell. Nick's prices are hard to beat though so if they make it a year looking good it was worth it.

$270 to have those done, shafts spine aligned and reinstalled. I thought that was very reasonable.

Others charge up to $50 a head with no clean up of the heads before hand. Nick touched these up before they were refinished and to me they look like new. A couple of the heads had quite a bit of bag chatter that wasn't evident in the pictures.

Wow! That is a really good price, especially for someone with high reviews..... those two things unfortunately don't normally go together. Cleaning the heads up and quick turnaround time really shows that he cares about his costumers.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Bad news just came in that he couldn't get my swing weights where I wanted them, which is admittedly a high SW for irons, so I will have to use some lead tape on these to get them up to D4. Going to try thin strips on top of the muscle cavity and then sharpie that last one so it will hopefully blend in.

PXG doesn't use true dlc. Theirs is more of a standard nitride type coating. True dlc lasts forever.

Tiger nick also offers black nickel that lasts a looooong time too (or he used to).

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Bad news just came in that he couldn't get my swing weights where I wanted them, which is admittedly a high SW for irons, so I will have to use some lead tape on these to get them up to D4. Going to try thin strips on top of the muscle cavity and then sharpie that last one so it will hopefully blend in.

They can be built there, promise. I just built out a set for a customer at E-O. Took a few tricks but d4 is nothing to get to honestly.

In The Bag

Me too! I have heard good reviews but time will tell. Nick's prices are hard to beat though so if they make it a year looking good it was worth it.

$270 to have those done, shafts spine aligned and reinstalled. I thought that was very reasonable.

Others charge up to $50 a head with no clean up of the heads before hand. Nick touched these up before they were refinished and to me they look like new. A couple of the heads had quite a bit of bag chatter that wasn't evident in the pictures.

Have you looked in to DLC (Diamond like Carbon) I read jlukes mentioning it once and that it is one of the most durable finishes out there, I wonder what the cost is. Your irons look pretty awesome in that finish, looking to hearing more about durability after a season.

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread.  Has anyone found a company that can do a DLC refinish on irons?  

And price for a set?  I've got an old set I'd like to renew with that finish.

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

Reviving this thread. Has anyone found a company that can do a DLC refinish on irons?

And price for a set? I've got an old set I'd like to renew with that finish.

Contact Ross at Tour Quality Golf in Broken Arrow AZ (RickyRoss is the forum name you'll recognize). Cheaper than anyone on DLC

In The Bag

• 10 months later...

So a year later, @JTexGolfer hows the finish holding up on your irons? 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I will now be investigating sending mine in as well. This is sick...

•  SUN_MOUNTAIN_LOGO_ORANGE.jpg.a9d08a3a8868c113b375e59d107b307c.jpg C130 USA bag 
  • Driver - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811XF - Tensei Ck Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 3 Wood - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 19*  & 22* Hybrids -  tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 82 G Stiff
  • Irons & Wedges- th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0211 5-PW, GW, SW, LW 45*. 50*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Elevate Tour 117 G Stiff
  • All wrapped in th6BYKY06U.jpg.498f835a9186e145cfd65f634529351e.jpgStandard Gray/Red Dri-Tacs
  • Putter - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Mustang - 33" - thSW15O8UF.jpg.640464f71a82ecf5f3ea6385b212dea0.jpg 5.0 FATSO
  • Ball - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg TP5
  • Tracked with untitled.png.d513b27db44b0030705a36f1ae5b2a97.pngV2
  • I'm a righty from Mechanicsville, VA (Richmond Area)

• 11 months later...

I realize this is a zombie thread, but I'd love to know how this black finish from Tiger Nick is holding up. 

Driver:  Mizuno JPX-900

3 Wood:  Mizuno JPX-900

3 Hybrid:  Mizuno JPX-900

4 Hybrid:  Mizuno JPX-900

Irons:  (5-6) Mizuno MH-5, (7-PW) Mizuno MP-5

50°:  Mizuno S18 (Gun Metal)

54°:  Mizuno S18 (Gun Metal)

58°:  Mizuno S18 (Gun Metal)

Putter:  Odyssey O-Works #9 (WBW)

Ball: Snell MTB-Red

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 12:59 PM, ChappyEight said:

I realize this is a zombie thread, but I'd love to know how this black finish from Tiger Nick is holding up. 

Bump.... also interested. I may end up in a SIM UDI and I'm currently for better or worse, building an all black iron head bag. Would be interested in his service for this club if it becomes a permanent addition. 

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

On 11/4/2020 at 9:24 AM, z1ggy16 said:

Bump.... also interested. I may end up in a SIM UDI and I'm currently for better or worse, building an all black iron head bag. Would be interested in his service for this club if it becomes a permanent addition. 

Golf Garage on Instagram posted a video yesterday on how durable their DLC finish is. They scratched it with a razor blade and sand paper. It looks legit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHMRr_KFsru/

I'm not sure what the price point is compared to Tiger Nick. If Santa brings me a brick of cash this year, I might pull the trigger for GG to DLC my Mizzys.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...