Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Reading a green?

robertson153

With bent grass you don't have to worry about grain so much. What you see is generally what you get. If you can see which way it breaks, you should be able to find a line, and just try to match the speed with that line, with any breaking putt it's about matching your speed with your chosen line, do you want the bull to go in with pace, play less break, if you want the ball to fall into the hole you adjust the line and play more break. For me it's about figuring out the speed of the greens, and then picking my line based on what I think the speed will be for that putt. Since you are only missing by a small amount, it could be a speed versus line issue.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Green reading is a skill that can be developed.  Aim point, plumb-bobing, finding the fall line, etc. are techniques golfers use to read greens.  Regardless of the technique used, the skill has to be worked on to improve.

Unfortunately, many golfers don't really practice reading greens in a meaningful, constructive way.  They hit a putt which breaks two inches left when they thought it would break two inches right.  They shrug, know they misread it, but they don't examine it again to see why they misread it.  On the practice green, they will hit multiple putts to the hole, adjusting to a misread by changing speed or line, but not take the time reread the putt.  

A first step to improving is to re-read a putt that was misread.  Step back, look at the green and ask what didn't I see there?  Trace the line of the putt with your eyes to see the break.   If alone, one can go through their entire pre-shot routine and green read and then hit another putt on the correct line.  In a group, tap in and go back and reread the putt while the others finish out or walk off the green.  (Subject to proper etiquette on the course, of course).   

When practicing, go through your routine, hit the putt and watch the line carefully.  Then re-read, again with full routine, making the necessary adjustment.  Examine the green carefully to see the line and why the putt acted differently than you though.  Rinse and repeat on different slopes, different lengths and speeds.  

On the practice green, hit three putts from the same spot.  Full routine and green read with each putt.  Hit one to die at the hole, one to go just past the hole if missed and jam one in hard.  If you misread any of the three, re-read and do again.    

I guess the point here is to understand a misread and correct the read and learn so you don't misread next time.   

Don't know if it was the advice or just my day but I had 27 putts!! Main reason IMO I'm starting to trust my line. Sunk some good putts, a few from over 10'. Which is good in my book. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Biggest thing that helped me was the old EA Sports PGA tour. How the greens would show little white dots on a grid. I just picture that grid and what would the dots do. Or imagine dumping a box of marbles and where they would roll out

Believe it or not, video games help tremendously! Worked for me, too! As well as other FPS where you calculate bullet trajectory.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

On days like today, I had just 22 putts with 2 chip in, it is like I see a 3” wide line or brighter stripe on the green curving to the hole. It is just my imagination but I know all I have to do is hit it the right speed on that line and it will go in.

Now my wedges were very good today so most of my 1 putts were 3-8 feet. So that sorta pads the stats.

I have tried the Aim Point system and plumb bobbing and various other things, but for me, I line up straight behind the ball and imagine where the ball will roll if I hit it straight at the hole. Then move the imaginary line until the imaginary ball goes into the hole. Then, as you stated “trust your read”.

Sure you will misread some. But if your speed is good then it's just a tap in. And if you are not sure if it will go left or right then hit it straight.

Oh yeah, I worked on my wedges three days this week and that drastically improved your putting. Especially if you can roll it right by the hole and give yourself a free read. I did that a bunch today.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I will clarify this by saying it does depend on the course and greens, but what I've learned from my home course is to not overread the greens. As soon as I started that I my putts started dropping. When I walk up to the out I take one good look at it and decide what I believe it's going to do. Setup and make the putt.

If I'm really unsure of what I'm seeing I'll stand around the line and see what my feet tell me. They haven't let me down so far, but from what I have found is if I stare at the putt and think about it too long nothing good happens. Too many thoughts and decisions get made and I loose focus on that initial thought of what I saw.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have tried the Aim Point system and plumb bobbing and various other things, but for me, I line up straight behind the ball and imagine where the ball will roll if I hit it straight at the hole. Then move the imaginary line until the imaginary ball goes into the hole. Then, as you stated “trust your read”.

This is why systems like aimpoint don't work for you.  You need to see the imaginary line the ball is rolling on.  Aimpoint has you aim left or right of the hole.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Simple ways to start reading puts better. If you want to make it simple just start from behind the ball. Get a good distance behind maybe like 4-10 feet so your not just sitting right over top of the ball. From behind the ball now look for the high point or the highest point of slope in the middleish point of the putt. That will give you an idea where to aim. That would be a basic start, my next step then is to use your eyes and imagine the ball over that line. Like keep going through it like you see tigerwoods tracer from the video game (this takes time a focus to learn to imagine the break) next what I find the best help in finding where to hit a putt is looking and imagining how the ball would roll in like 3 feet from the hole. Basically look and the break and slope and try to roll it to where it would hit that 3 foot spot to go in. A consistent stroke though really is important to making any Putts.

Hope this helps even though its very long winded

Sent from my SM-G950W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Aimpoint. It's ridiculously easy, it's the fastest way to read the green so people behind you aren't waiting on you to pretend you're on tour and read it from all 4 sides, and the reads will be correct unless you don't do them correctly.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

On days like today, I had just 22 putts with 2 chip in, it is like I see a 3” wide line or brighter stripe on the green curving to the hole. It is just my imagination but I know all I have to do is hit it the right speed on that line and it will go in.

Now my wedges were very good today so most of my 1 putts were 3-8 feet. So that sorta pads the stats.

Sure you will misread some. But if your speed is good then it's just a tap in. And if you are not sure if it will go left or right then hit it straight.

Oh yeah, I worked on my wedges three days this week and that drastically improved your putting. Especially if you can roll it right by the hole and give yourself a free read. I did that a bunch today.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Last summer I was having a really good putting day and I commented to my friend that it was like I was seeing a video game tracer showing me where to hit the ball. I made a lot (for me) of longish putts that day. It was great, but hasn't happened since.

One thing I hate is when my eyes tell me one thing, then I stand over the ball and feel conflicting info with my feet.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

This is why systems like aimpoint don't work for you.  You need to see the imaginary line the ball is rolling on.  Aimpoint has you aim left or right of the hole.  

Yes, this is what I eventually figured out. I can use it to confirm what I feel, but I promise you if I aim 2 fingers left of the cup, the ball will stop two fingers left of the cup.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Yes, this is what I eventually figured out. I can use it to confirm what I feel, but I promise you if I aim 2 fingers left of the cup, the ball will stop two fingers left of the cup.

Yes, you and Adam Scott.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

One thing I hate is when my eyes tell me one thing, then I stand over the ball and feel conflicting info with my feet.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In “putting out of your mind” the author says to stick with your first instinct. I find that way too often I see one thing, stand over the ball, and think, “how the heck did you see that?!? There is no way that could break that way”. Then I get caught in this fort vs. second instinct conundrum and either pick the wrong one or split the middle (which never works either”. I almost feel like I would be better off just standing over the ball, going straight to my second instinct and giving it a whack. If it feels a bit above my feet aim a little right or vice versa.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

I took Aimpoint Express two summers ago and it's the best money I've spent in golf! My speed is always an issue, but using the method they teach, I've never not been able to get the line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

No, that's not clear enough. It's not clear at all.

Because if you hit a putt exactly where you intended at the exact speed you intended and it doesn't go in IT'S BECAUSE YOU MIS-READ THE GREEN. #duh

Holy crap. you need to calm down.

People like you, and your unreasonable expectations and poor attitudes, are why more experienced posters and instructors stay off forums like this. ... And don't worry, I won't respond to another one of your threads because I don't have time for nonsense.

But here's a parting tip - if you're having trouble with your game, pay for lessons!

Money doesn't grow on trees, not everyone wants to fix their golf misses by paying money. He wasn't asking how his missed putts compare too others, he was simply asking others thoughts and ideas to consistently read a green effectively.

A good practice drill I keep in rotation on a practice green is reading a putt, then putting a tee in the green where I “think” my aim-spot should be based on the read. Then it's a matter of executing that putt, and seeing how far off the ball was when it comes to a stop. This will give you a gauge to compare you're “Read” with the greens true-break. This will show you if you tend to OVER-read or UNDER-read a break. If your ball is going over that tee you stick in, and finishing in the cup. You know your read-game is fine, and it's more a mater of tightening up your putting stroke to become more consistent. Hope this helps!!

Papa-Bear was Here. 

A good practice drill I keep in rotation on a practice green is reading a putt, then putting a tee in the green where I “think” my aim-spot should be based on the read. Then it's a matter of executing that putt, and seeing how far off the ball was when it comes to a stop. This will give you a gauge to compare you're “Read” with the greens true-break. This will show you if you tend to OVER-read or UNDER-read a break. If your ball is going over that tee you stick in, and finishing in the cup. You know your read-game is fine, and it's more a mater of tightening up your putting stroke to become more consistent. Hope this helps!!

I am assuming that the tee you are referring to is by the hole.  I prefer to see the line the ball will roll on so I put a dime down to roll the ball over.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am assuming that the tee you are referring to is by the hole. I prefer to see the line the ball will roll on so I put a dime down to roll the ball over.

Yes the tee would be inserted into the putting surface and pressed down until flush with surface so the ball could roll over it, same concept :)

Papa-Bear was Here. 

Your statement reminded me of a passage from Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game.  

“When you establish an image of what you intend to do, the body will fulfill it.  That becomes the ‘target.'  The clearer the image, the more likely that your body will produce it. Therefore, any conceptual interference or unintended image will negatively affect the chances of a good result. The best  results come from actions that are responses to an image of the actual target, so the best swing thought is actually an image, not a conceptual thought.

For the same reason, I don't like talking about how much a putt will break by saying, ‘It's a right-edge putt.'  What the golfer means is that she expects the putt to move two inches from right to left in order to enter the hole in the middle. However, the right edge of the hole is the last image in her mind before she putts.  It becomes her target and she pushes the ball out to the right just enough for it to hit that right edge and lip out.  

[Example about a player he counsels].

We focus on seeing the ball track into the cup, just a tiny bit right or left of the center.  He's lipped out far fewer putts since then, and most of the ones he holes pour into the heart of the cup. “ 

Another vote for AimPoint. I don't necessarily hole a ton of putts with it but I rarely 3 putt even on unfamiliar courses. I do agree that as the break lessens it's harder to figure out whether a putt is right center, right edge, or just outside. But for putts that don't look like much you can really tell which way it goes by trusting your feet. If I can't feel anything I'll close my eyes briefly to see if it changes. And it's fast!

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Money doesn't grow on trees, not everyone wants to fix their golf misses by paying money. He wasn't asking how his missed putts compare too others, he was simply asking others thoughts and ideas to consistently read a green effectively.

Interesting technique. I'm going to have to try try on our practice greens. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart