TESTERS WANTED! ×

If you like to play slow on a golf course, I want to hear from you...

Mr. 82

Everyone complains about pace of play, and it's a seemingly never ending conversation.  And in all my years (40+) of playing golf, I have yet to have someone say to me, "I sure do like playing golf in 5 or 6 hours; the slower the better."

Everyone I have ever talked to always says that they hate slow play.  Yet, once again, I found myself in the bowels of despair this weekend as I was playing in a "tournament" where both my Saturday and Sunday rounds were met with a 5 hour round, where we waited on the group in front of us on every hole and every shot.  In the defense of the group in front of us, they were waiting too, as was the group in front of them, etc, etc, etc.

I emailed the tournament director about this, and as kindly as I could put it, simply said that I doubt that I would return to play with this group ever again, simply because of pace of play.

I mean, pace of play is probably the most talked about subject in golf, and yet no one seems to ever be able to fix this "problem."

Now, I realize that pace of play could be a subjective term as well.  Because if you give me a cart and an open course in front of me, I am done as a single in 90 minutes tops.  I grew up playing as a threesome with my Dad and my brother, and we'd finish 18 holes in 2 1/2 hours.

But I'm not even suggesting those times as what anyone should realistically expect on a golf course.  But I know for a fact that the standard for pace of play on a fully loaded golf course at St. Andrews is 3:22.  See http://www.popeofslope.com/paceofplay/pace.html

Is your normal round and expectation for a foresome for 18 holes about 4 hours and 30 minutes?  Is it 4 hours?

I'll just end this by saying that I refuse to be the group in front of me's gallery for 18 holes.  If I have to wait on every shot, I'll quit the game first.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 3:30 is plenty of time for a foursome in carts to finish 18 holes. Anything over 4 hours is excessive to me. I think the biggest problem is that people don't play ready golf.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I think part of the problem is that slow players either don't know they are slow or don't care and are perfectly comfortable playing 6 hour rounds.

I once played a muni in Jefferson City, MO that had a time clock that you punched in just prior to first tee ball, again at the turn, and again at the end. The threat was that if you were over time, you were invited not to return (I don't recall the actual details of how much over time, how often, etc. as this was about 25 years ago). I have no idea if they ever actually did it, but the packed Sunday I was there moved along pretty nicely for as busy as they were.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Not a concern at all. I'm retired, and when I do play I'm in no hurry to leave the course and will invite people behind me to play thru.

Hopefully I'll be back put there soon, once the doc gives me a clean bill of health

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

We could go on for days about the "slow play" issue.  I will agree with you though, I can't stand slow play at all.  It gets me out of rhythm in the worst way.  I like to play at a quick pace.  Not overly fast like running a marathon but I like to be able to hit the ball right when I get to the tee or the fairway.  Waiting to hit on every shot really gets to me.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

4 to 4.5 hours is pretty standard for me. My usual group plays pretty heavily wooded courses, so looking for balls can sometimes take some time. 

2.5 hours? Are you even lining up your putts?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

My club pop is 4:15. That said, Saturday my foursome got around in 3:10, and 3 of us finished 27 in 5:00 (we had to wait a bit on the last nine).

I don't miss six hour rounds at Bethpage.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I think 3:30 is plenty of time for a foursome in carts to finish 18 holes. Anything over 4 hours is excessive to me. I think the biggest problem is that people don't play ready golf. 

It's definitely doable. The problem is that, you can't just play... you have to wait for the group in front of you or the group in front of them... the group that "paid our money", so "we will play from the tips if we damn well please"... even though none of them can get past 200 yds. off the tee.

I've played with a buddy when it was just us on the course. We finished in under 3 hours, and neither of us are what you would call really good players. 

The other problem is the course owner/s sending groups out as soon as the group ahead is near the green..... stack the course with as many bodies as possible; got to make that money!

Face it, 4 plus hour rounds are never ever ever going away!

The problem is people who play slow 1) don't know they play slow or 2) don't care that they play slow.

I play munis and get paired up almost every round. Definitely number 1. It's amazing how many people who, like me, shoot 90+ but need to get out a laser for every shot and then take 4 practice swings before they hit the ball. Then they get mad when people are "rushing" us.

The problem is it's not a very easy thing to tell a complete stranger whose wielding metal sticks that they are the problem...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

4 to 4.5 hours is pretty standard for me. My usual group plays pretty heavily wooded courses, so looking for balls can sometimes take some time.

2.5 hours? Are you even lining up your putts?

My Saturday group is usually a twosome or three some. We tee off at 7:00 am as one of the first groups off and we are usually done by 9:30, 10:00 at the latest.

We hit the ball in the fairway, hit our approach shots at the green, chip on and have plenty of time to line up our putts.

There is a fivesome that usually plays in front of us that we can't catch. A fivesome that plays in 2 hours or less. One Saturday recently there was only two of us and the fivesome let us play ahead of them. They kept right on our tails most of the round.

If you know how to play ready golf, even a 3 hour round with carts would seem slow to you.

people can take as long as they want on a course- just let anyone faster play thru....quickly

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

people can take as long as they want on a course- just let anyone faster play thru....quickly

Except the groups that aren't socially aware enough to know they are playing painfully slow also aren't socially aware enough to let people play through

Thank goodness I'm retired and can play weekdays, where we usually get done in 3 to 31\2

Hours

What's worse is the guys who are slow who decide that they need to be the first group out in the morning- and they then pretty well destroy the pace for the entire track for half the day

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Average walking speed for a human is 5400 yards/hour. So I will concede that I could speed up my play a bit.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I walked the longest public course in Rhode Island this morning by myself in under 2 hours. I always try to be first off the tee and that meant 5:50 am today. Could have been quicker if the guys maintaining the course weren't in my way. I'm lucky in that a couple of courses just let me go ahead of everyone if I show up.

I've had one afternoon tee time this year and walked off after 9 because of slow play. Self awareness or lack there of is an issue for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I would like to say it's people like us who are socially aware, we “care” about the sport and enjoy the living daylights out of it.

Their are many groups on the weekend who treat golf as a social activity and have one too many. Those are the hackers who generally play slow don't fix divots or pitch marks and drive to close to the green.

I will be very vocal to the starter as well as call the club house to let them know of slow play.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

When I get out on a golf course, I usually don't care how long I am there.  I am just glad to be playing.  Now with that said, if I get behind a group that won't let us play through I tend to get a little upset.  I got stuck behind a group this weekend that was 4 older gentlemen all with their own carts.  However all 4 went to each others ball and didn't let us play through.  I got so pissed, when I got to a driveable par 4 I hit and drove the green hoping that would send a message.  Alas all it did was have one guy take my ball and throw it into the pond.  That was my last hole since I didn't want to go to jail.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I play pretty fast, I probably should slow down a little in respect to when I get to the ball. I usually have a pretty good idea of what type of shot I am going to play before I get to the ball so it's just a matter of getting the distance, that's where a rangefinder comes in handy.

Now as for slow play, what I usually see when there is slow play are about 3 things

1. Taking too much time to get from one shot to the next. I realize some people don't walk as quickly as others, but if you go from point a to point b without stopping to talk or something like that, your pace of play will be ok.

2. Being very deliberate in your preshot routine, and never wavering from it. If it takes you 2 minutes to pull the trigger when you have your club ready and standing over the ball, your pace of play will suffer

3. Putting, I beleive this is where a lot of time is wasted, people just take way too much time getting ready and then putting. This is especially true in tournament rounds, from tee to green, thenpace seems pretty good, but then once to the green it seems to take forever for the group to finish out.

There's my thoughts 1. Mosey to the next shot, 2. Very slow routine, 3. Too much time on the green.

It doesn't have to be all three to slow down play, any 1 or combo will drastically slow play down.

The course I play it is a realistic expectation to play in 4 to 4.25 hours on the weekend, 9 minute tee times, and most holes have 3 to 4 hundred yards between tee boxes as we weave throughout the neighborhood. It's also a pretty difficult course. 72.1/136 from the tees we play, and if a group in front sees fit to play the back tees it's around 74/145 around 6900 yards. Most Saturday golfers can't handle that course but play it anyway which slows down the pace of the entire day

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I play most of my rounds as a single and typically walk 18 holes (6000 - 6500 yards w/ elevation changes) between 2 and 2-1/2 hours. I don't take practice swings, but I do walk at a somewhat leisurely pace and always go through a pre-shot routine. In a cart with no one in front of me I've played multiple rounds in 2 hours or less. Too many times I see people not playing ready golf and/or taking multiple practice swings just to step up and duff it. Fix those two things and I don't think pace of play will ever be much of an issue.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I used to play with a couple of slow players, I just made fun of them till they hurried up. A guy that used to take minimum 4 1/4 hours a couple years ago played in 3 with me last weekend.

On a busy weekend I honestly don't mind taking 4.5 hours, but when it's starting to push 5 it gets frustrating.

Once I was so frustrated that I had to play through by skipping a hole entirely. I saw the guy in front of us get out of his cart with a club, check the distance, do some practice swings, then walk back to his cart to get a different club, a few more practice swings, then flub it 15 feet. It was only the second hole so I wasn't having it that day.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

I'd love to see a course with a pace of play problem do something like institute a rebate for rounds under 4 hours. Provide a positive incentive.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

This thread pops now and then, surprised the proponents of slow play have not chimed in. I have been subjected to multiple 5 hour rounds since moving out here. It's unbearable. I blame the course staff for jamming as many people as they can. 3.5 hours is the optimal round for me. 4 hr 15 minuets is at my max patience level. Hit, repeat, finish.

Some people who don't know, don't know that they don't know.

I love a thread like this and would love to see how a slow round is necessary.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I'm guessing the average at my home course is 4:15-4:30. We have a lot of walkers, and the course isn't set up property for that. Lots of tall fescue in between the tee box and the fairways so you end up walking the cart path the first 150 yards of each hole. Also a lot of deep bunkers and a number of extended walks from one part of the neighborhood to the next to go from green to tee. It all looks great but certainly slows down the game.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Could have been quicker if the guys maintaining the course weren't in my way. I'm lucky in that a couple of courses just let me go ahead of everyone if I show up.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

See this is a problem. Not picking on you, but ok I guess I am. When do you expect the grounds crew to ready the course for play that day.

We have a group similar to you. That has the 6:00 am tee time every day during summer. They are litterally at the course at 5:00 am every day waiting for the doors to open. As soon as they do, they are badgering everyone from the Pro Shop to the Starter to let them out early. Often they do just to get them out of their face while they are trying to work.

Then they race around the course like it's the Indy 500. They run into the grounds crew and hold them up from doing their job.

Our Super has spoken to them about playing to fast and going off early. They just look at him like he has 3 heads.

Then they are in my office at 8:00 feeling the need to report their time of the round that day, like Im daily monitoring their blood sugar levels or something.

I guess the point is. There are posted start times for a reason. And at least our Super puts a lot of thought and planning into it, and does try to consider the golfers as well as his work for the day.

Nobody likes to play in unraked bunkers of greens that haven't been cut. But those things have to happen at some time and don't happen overnight by themselves.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Once I was so frustrated that I had to play through by skipping a hole entirely.

I don't consider this frustration, but always an option at my local course, when it's busy.  if I have a cart, and I am by myself, there are times I just find a "soft spot in the zone" (using football terminology) and play holes where no one is.  Especially if I am out practicing, I skip holes all the time, when the score doesn't count for handicap.  The other night I played 7 of the first 9 holes, then played #10 and 11, ran into about 5 groups, skipped ahead to #17 and 18, and then went back to the front nine and played it again.

I just get creative to avoid a controversy this way too.  I don't like playing through threesomes and foresomes who are otherwise enjoying their round if I am just by myself and playing my usual quick pace.  And there has been many times when I have teed off on the back nine at the same time a twosome has teed off on the first hole, and I'll finish the back nine, and go to the front nine, only to catch that twosome by the 8th or 9th hole.  Essentially I just played 18 holes in the time it took them to play 9.  But they weren't holding anyone up, and they were having fun, so who am I to care how slow they play.

I would like my rounds to be in the 4 hour range but anything under 4.5 is fine. 4.5+ is when I'm in the this is a slow round. We have some courses around here that are good at enforcing pace of play and all rounds are under 4.5. They are definitely the courses I prefer to play

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

We have a group similar to you. That has the 6:00 am tee time every day during summer. They are litterally at the course at 5:00 am every day waiting for the doors to open. As soon as they do, they are badgering everyone from the Pro Shop to the Starter to let them out early. Often they do just to get them out of their face while they are trying to work.

And if you have ever worked as a Professional Staff at a club, you're not allowed to ever use the word no. They're a nuisance and they get away with it because they know that they can. My child is better behaved.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Archived