Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Lostgolfballs.com for testing different brands?

bardle

I'm pretty new to the game and am just now understanding and feeling the major differences in types of balls, like Velocity vs Pro V. Anyway I am interested in trying some of the better flagship brands out to see what I like best but dont want to pay 40+ a dozen to do it. I found lostgolfballs.com and they seem to have good enough reviews, but I wanted to hear some thoughts from the members here who have used them on whether or not that is a good way to experiment with different types and the quality of balls you recieved

I can get 4 different boxes for around the price of one new box and test them out.  I was thinking Pro V1, Truvis, Chrome Soft and Z-star. 

EDIT: I'm also very much open to suggestions on what types of balls I should be trying. I don't know swing speed but my cobra connect in my F7 shows my driver smart range is 220-250 if that helps... 

My other big question is whether or not a dozen is enough to test and what the best way is to feel the difference. Should I play a solo round with 2 balls side by side, play a different one each round, just go to the chipping green and mess around with all of them? I understand a lot of this is about feel and I know how incredibly subjective this is, so I'm just looking for the best way to compare them, any thoughts are very much appreciated.

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

LostGolfBalls is great, have ordered from them multiple times with no issues. In fact, I just ordered a bucket of 48 Vice balls that will come in a variety of models so I'm able to test and see which ones I want to game.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

LostGolfBalls is great, have ordered from them multiple times with no issues. In fact, I just ordered a bucket of 48 Vice balls that will come in a variety of models so I'm able to test and see which ones I want to game.

Any opinion on the "good" vs "near mint" quality difference? I've read their FAQ about it, just curious what your perceptions are if you've ordered both. 

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Any opinion on the "good" vs "near mint" quality difference? I've read their FAQ about it, just curious what your perceptions are if you've ordered both.

I think I've only ever got their "good" quality balls when I ordered their shag bag + balls combo. I didn't really have any complaints, as I was just going to practice with them. I've never read of any complaints people having with LGB, though. I usually shoot for the near mint if the price is right.

I think they're having a 10% off promo right now though, so it'd be something to take advantage of.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Most premium golf balls are going to perform about the same off the driver.  Your tests on a deciding on a ball should start with the putter and then work back to chips, pitches, partial wedge shots, wedge shots, and then iron shots. 

Around the green is where you're going to notice the most performance and feel/sound differences.

Absolutely you should start around the green and work back.  I would suggest that chips and pitches are more important than putter.  Putter is solely a matter of feel which has no bearing on whether or not the ball goes in the hole - beyond the psychological factors that make us human (so if that's big for you then it does matter.)  Chipping and pitching differences however are the product of spin and cover type that affect trajectory.  It's exactly why I play the same ball always - I know exactly how that ball will perform, for me, when well struck on my short shots.  There's a variable eliminated!  Yeah for me!  (and you)

I would think that playing quality lost balls is a great way to go for a test - personally I would never use these balls on a regular basis - I'm all about eliminating variables and in my mind using a used ball would create a variable for any sort of competitive play,  If however all of your rounds are casual or fun rounds with friends - go for it - why spend the extra money.

Also I would think a sleeve should be more than an ample supply for ball testing - you certainly don't need a dozen. 

Good luck and enjoy.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

And finally, don't get too obsessed this early - too often I see new guys wanting to play premium/tour level balls, that don't really get the return because they're playing too much ball. ... There's a lot of what I call second-tier balls that are almost as good as premium balls, and way cheaper.

Enjoy the game, and hit 'em straight.

Yeah, fair enough. I had a friend tell me about LGB so I got interested in the topic. I am used to playing what you are probably referencing as the second tier balls (Callaway Superhot, Callaway Supersoft, Wilson Staff Duo's, etc.) ,but given that the price for slightly used premium balls is cheaper even then those second-tier balls, I saw an opportunity to test something out that I hadn't previously gotten the chance too, and it allows me to expand my golf knowledge a little more at a low cost of entry(Not something that happens often).

I admittedly get a little too obsessed with my hobbies too quickly so that is a very good point, but in this case its actually cheaper for to test these second hand premium balls then it is to buy the new versions of what I have been hitting, hence the topic, and me wanting to understand the best way to go about doing it. Maybe that helps everyone digest my interest in this. I do appreciate everyones input very much. Thanks again.  

RH:

#cobraconnect19

• 5 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread because, after some putt testing with Callaway Supersoft, Chrome soft, Pro V1X, a found AVX, and a NXT Tour S. I decided I liked a softer ball and really didnt feel a difference off the putter between the AVX, chrome soft, and NXT Tour S so I bought 4 dozen 4A quality NXT Tour S from LGB for 36 dollars including a 10 dollar shipping fee. 

Quality is solid and as advertised. Minor scuffing on some. some had markings and I counted 4 that were logo balls. Overall solid quality and a good price for a good ball that I will likely lose many of. Just wanted to leave this here in case anyone found this thread and was considering buying from them. 

RH:

#cobraconnect19

When I got back to golf last year after not playing for years, I ordered about 6 different balls from LGB. i did their top quality and was pleased with the quality. I also tried balls I found, traded buddies, and 2nd hand stores. I can live with not loving something feel wise off the tee. But not around the green. Feel and spin around thr green is where its at.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Love LGB.com! Just ordered five dozen NXT Tour for $50 in Mint 5A.

They're quality is among the best from Used balls that I have found.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I agree with most of the replies but not all. If you really are a 27 hcp player I wouldn't spend much on balls. I'd imagine you lose a lot of them. And playing an expensive ball isn't going to do much to improve your game anyway. Therefore buy PV Lost Balls and try them. But honestly, you're not going to get the true benefit of playing high quality (and expensive) ball. I'd also bet you get very little compression on your shots. Especially irons. And that's where the magic manifests itself. Ask any low hcp. player.

Just today I asked a young man at my office if he's considered buying some MG's. ($20 dz.) and he said he didn't want to spend that much. He's a 20 hcp player wanting to start getting better. Therefore he said he buys some sort of 24 pack of Wilson's because he loses a lot of balls. I don't blame him either.

Bardle... as you start getting better you'll naturally want to start playing a higher quality ball. But today isn't that day.

Good luck and keep working on it. You'll get there.  :)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with most of the replies but not all. If you really are a 27 hcp player I wouldn't spend much on balls. I'd imagine you lose a lot of them. And playing an expensive ball isn't going to do much to improve your game anyway. Therefore buy PV Lost Balls and try them. But honestly, you're not going to get the true benefit of playing high quality (and expensive) ball. I'd also bet you get very little compression on your shots. Especially irons. And that's where the magic manifests itself. Ask any low hcp. player.

Just today I asked a young man at my office if he's considered buying some MG's. ($20 dz.) and he said he didn't want to spend that much. He's a 20 hcp player wanting to start getting better. Therefore he said he buys some sort of 24 pack of Wilson's because he loses a lot of balls. I don't blame him either.

Bardle... as you start getting better you'll naturally want to start playing a higher quality ball. But today isn't that day.

Good luck and keep working on it. You'll get there. :)

Yeah. You may have read the original and missed my update. I tested a bunch of different found, more expensive balls. Went with 4 dozen NXT Tour S for 7 bucks a dozen. So yeah. Getting the best of both worlds. A decent ball for extremely cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Good luck and keep working on it. You'll get there. :)

I couldn't agree more. I think 10 is about where you get the true benifits. Obviously there are execptions. You can be a 5 HC ball striker and a 20 HC putter. I can honestly say that playing a high quality ball off the tee doesn't matter too much. Where it really matters is off the irons and around the green.

Bardle- if you want to play a high quality ball, hit a cheap ball off the tee and the swap it for the high quality ball for the irons. You will lose fewer expensive balls and it won't hurt your game.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I couldn't agree more. I think 10 is about where you get the true benifits. Obviously there are execptions. You can be a 5 HC ball striker and a 20 HC putter. I can honestly say that playing a high quality ball off the tee doesn't matter too much. Where it really matters is off the irons and around the green.

Bardle- if you want to play a high quality ball, hit a cheap ball off the tee and the swap it for the high quality ball for the irons. You will lose fewer expensive balls and it won't hurt your game.

Yep. Agree on all counts. See my response to PlaidJacket above your post. I was playing cheap Wilson Chaos balls off the tee and using balls people have gifted me for approach and finishing the holes. Turns out it's even cheaper to just buy decent balls from LGB from here on out. Or at least that's what I plan to do from now on out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

#cobraconnect19

...hit a cheap ball off the tee and the swap it for the high quality ball for the irons. You will lose fewer expensive balls and it won't hurt your game.

Love this idea!

Might start implementing this the next time I play - whenever that is...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

Archived