Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putter grip

I currently have a yes callie 12 with a Matrix p135 shaft and a flatso 1.0. I have been putting horrendously. Last shot 84 with 13 3 putts. Its bad and most of my misses are left. It could be me and very well is but sometimes something different changes things. So is there any putter grip that may help with the left miss. Maybe a round grip or a smaller grip then flatso?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

Think about toe hang. There was something on the blog about it...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

How does the club feel in your hands? Do you struggle at all with setup and sight lines? Just curious because I've found that having my Scotty Matador Midsize oriented slightly clockwise on the shaft feels very comfortable in the hands and allows to me to hit some very straight putts. Perhaps a slight adjustment of the grip (in one direction or the other) could help rather than changing it completely.

I'd also be curious to know if you have always struggled with a left miss, or if you recently changed to this grip before experiencing problems. Always possible it's not the grip at all and the stroke just needs some work or a even a different club entirely. 

Sounds like you could post some low scores if not for your putting. Hope you get it working in the right direction.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

All things being equal different grip sizes or styles shouldn't inherently help improve a certain miss direction. What they can do is make it easier to remove wrist action from your stroke (is a by no means a requirement for improving putting) Now if it was determined that wrist movement was causing your to close the face and miss left than I would suggest trying something larger. Personal favorites in that market are the P2 Tour Aware, Pendulum Golf's Large (45gram) grip & the Superstroke Pistol GTR 2.0.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Something is missing here. How did you get to a 5 hcp and now you're having 13 3-putts in a round? I think there is more to the story than you've told us. I mean this sincerely.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

When the Super Stroke Putter Grips first became the rage, I decided to order one. Problem! There were several sized from slightly larger to the size of a tree trunk. How to choose?

Of course the stock answer is to go to a professional and get fit.

Ok, now the reality of it is that would be like stopping and asking for directions. So, I took my putter and several different Ace Bandages. I wrapped the grip until it was the biggest size, and went into my home office and set up a practice green.

With the largest grip I took aim hole from 12' and missed by 5' right. I did this several times and continuously missed by like 5'. I removed a bandage so it was down to the next size. I missed by 3' right. I continued this process until I was back to the stock grip where I finally started making putts.

The moral of the story for me, was that I did not need a Super Stroke Grip or any other oversized grip.

That didn't stop me from buying the smallest one and trying it, but my results with it on the course were no different than at home.

You are missing to the left, how long have you had this putter?

If this is a new putter, and you have never putted well with it, then look at equipment. If you have putted well in the past, and just are not putting well now, look at setup and fundamentals.

I know I developed some bad habits and misalignment in my setup while injured the last few weeks. Now, that I am healed I went out yesterday to address my putting issues, among other things.

It turns out that I had let the ball drift too far back in my stance. I was playing the ball centered of my feet. When I putted I often pulled this putt to the left, and outside of 4 feet I was missing the left edge of the cup. Also,  because my ribs were also injured, I was holding my left rib cage with a my arm as I putted instead of a proper stroke.

I moved the setup to where the putter head was centered thus the ball was an inch further towards my front foot and made a proper putting stroke and BOOM! I made 20 footers and longer and didn't miss inside 10'.

While this might be solved by getting a new grip, that is just putting a bandage on the wound, and not actually pulling the knife out.  It may also be solved by moving you ball placement in your stance or some other basic fundamental.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

If you're missing to the left and it's not not because of your alignment, a putter with more than toe hang would help you.

To hang creates drag, which slows the putter rotation down and helps with excessive closing of the face

I wouldn't look at equipment change before I eliminated alignment issues.  So, best answer without knowing anything else about your problem would be to ask your pro to watch your alignment and stroke.  

I find it to be very easy to mess up my setup.  I do it with my irons because the ball is more forward with the driver, so I tend to have forward creep in my ball position when setting up with my irons.  The same can happen when putting.  Generally, most people putt with a little more weight on their front foot.  If the lead arm is pulling more than the trail arm is pushing, the bottom of the arc is more forward of body center which will lead to a pull unless there is some compensation in the stroke.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived