• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    David Wolk

• By JonMUSC08
      I am going out on a stretch with this one...
      When we all buy new golf clubs or are in the market for a new club (testing), we head over to our local shop (Dicks Sports, Edwin Watts, PGA Superstore, etc) and request to try the clubs out in the bay with the launch monitors. Of course, how well is the new club going to compare to our existing club. In my personal experience, the employees in the shops always seem annoyed when you ask to try out clubs in the bays; more so if you are a lefty such as myself. That means they have to move the launch monitor sensor to the other side of the mat 🤬. Those of us not on tour or living in the 1% wealth do not have the ability to own a Trackman or GC Quad BUT would still like to utilize those products to test equipment and learn to gap our clubs. Do these 8 new drivers really give me 20 more yards and are much more straight than my existing driver... who knows, but the golf shop guy does not want me spending 3 hours testing all his equipment. Yet he wonders why i do not buy anything after i try one driver and dont get results. Don't be annoyed with me if i ask to try a different driver.
      Here is the dream... A driving range with 2-4 bays rigged with launch monitors. Having top of the line monitors may be quite expensive but something to at least provide sufficient data to help the average or better golfer. By allowing players to learn their yardages and make adjustments will in essence speed up rounds as well. With the popularity of the technology AT the range, players would need to schedule times and pay fees for equipment use. The Arccos system is a great tool to help gap and determine club lengths BUT it takes quite a few rounds to determine all your clubs. Now i can hit 20 shots with each club and get solid data on EACH club. In addition, i can borrow or rent multiple clubs if i am in the market for a new driver, iron set, etc. IDEALLY having newly released equipment AT the  range would be perfect.
      My Golf Spy Community, lets make this happen!
      Make this the new Top Golf or get me in touch with a Top Golf guy to integrate this!

• By TR1PTIK
      Just wanted to share my experience with Arccos after making the switch from Game Golf Live. I'm sure there have been plenty of reviews for both systems, but I've seen some misinformation floating around on how the Game Golf system works, and a lot of the Arccos reviews I've read often leave me wanting to know more than the author provided. Here goes…

I've been a Game Golf user for a few years now starting with the original GG unit and then upgrading to GG Live once it was released. I've really enjoyed being able to get a more in-depth analysis of my game without having to take a bunch of notes. However, I've long envied the variety of stats offered by Arccos over GG and the only thing keeping me from making the switch was the need to carry my phone in my front pocket. Unlike what many reviews have suggested, GG Live does not require you to carry your phone on you. In fact, you don't even have to take your phone to the course if you don't want – Live works exactly the same as the original device with its own built-in GPS module and NFC tagging, but includes Bluetooth technology to make phone synchronization possible. I usually keep my phone in the cart and tag my shots only going to the phone to make minor adjustments (such as adding penalty strokes) as needed. There are many times I won't look at my phone until after the round and make all my edits immediately prior to posting.

A lot of people give GG flack for the tagging, but I've honestly found the tagging to be helpful in developing a solid pre-shot routine. Also, there's the added benefit of simply tagging a second time if you think you forgot to do it and GG has even developed some new algorithms to detect missed tags and plot them for you – it's not perfect, but it's certainly a welcomed addition.

Arccos of course is a different animal entirely – even though it essentially performs the same functions as Game Golf. Right out of the gate I noticed a considerable difference in the tags and I'm not talking about size, weight, or color. With exception to the putter only, all Arccos tags are indistinguishable from each other whereas GG marks each tag Dr, 3W, H, 4I, 5I, 6I, etc. and even includes some extra tags should you lose one or have extra clubs – here lately I've been using them to conduct club testing. This difference in approach isn't a huge deal as far as initial setup goes and both are fairly painless as long as you follow the instructions. Where I see this becoming an issue is when regripping clubs you would either have to handle one club at a time (start to finish) or re-pair all clubs once the job is done. My solution: I marked each tag with a Sharpie on the bottom (grip) side. This means when the tags are on they look just like they always have, but when I take them out I know which club they belong to.

On the course, Arccos is easy to use, but does require some minor adjustments in the way clubs are handled. I plan to experiment and see how far I can push the limits with this, but the instructions say to carry clubs upside down from bag to ball and ball to bag. They also caution against excessive jarring of the clubs (dropping, bumping, or slamming down in frustration) to prevent an improperly tagged shot. I never experienced any problems with this, but I did have several missed tags including full shots and some putts (tap-ins mainly). I think the full shots may have been missed because some of the tags started to back out. However, these were fairly easy to correct on the fly as well as adjusting pin placement and adding penalty strokes, but I noticed I was looking at my phone quite a bit more than normal. As for the pone, I placed it in my front right pocket and moved my ball marker and repair tool to my left front pocket – not a huge deal just a minor adjustment to get used to.

Post round analysis is what I was really most anxious to see and it did not disappoint (much). I have listened to podcasts and read many magazine interviews with Arccos Founder and CEO Sal Syed. He often states his commitment to providing the amateur golfer with tour level statistics and the mobile app and website are proof of that. Upon review of round stats (using the app), I can see my handicap for Driving, Approach, Chipping, Sand, and Putting which are all derived from applying the strokes gained methodology. I also get a break down of scoring, and a detailed analysis of the five previously mentioned categories and even my pace of play. I could try to describe each screen and method of analysis available, but there are so many I could literally write a small book on it. I will say this much though… My one and only disappointment with the stats provided is how Arccos incorporates strokes gained. They show you which areas need the most work which is great, but I like Game Golf's use of strokes gained just slightly better. Game Golf takes a more direct approach on strokes gained and will automatically display how your performance stacks up against the average scratch golfer. Moreover, Game Golf offers a filter through which you can compare your round to a variety of handicaps (5, 10, 15, 20, & 25 to be exact). You can even compare a recent round to your personal best or a collection of rounds to another group from a year ago if so desired. The ways you can group and filter data are seemingly limitless.

Anyway, I think I've shared quite enough at this point. Like I said earlier, I know others have done extensive reviews of both systems, but just wanted to do a bit of a comparison and discuss what it's like to make the switch. Game Golf Live and Arccos 360 are both great systems and I'd recommend either of them to anyone based on how much they want to use their phone on the course and what kind of stats they want to see. Thanks for reading!!!

• By TR1PTIK
      WARNING: This is a somewhat lengthy post wherein I simply discuss some equipment changes and the reason behind them. I offer some data, but don't dive into launch monitor numbers or anything like that. I'm simply utilizing what knowledge I possess to make the game more enjoyable for myself and wanted to share my experience. Read on and comment if you'd like.

I've been quite happy with my bag for some time now despite knowing that I've given up some distance and certain other luxuries. Finally, I decided it was time for a change and wanted to start with the driver.

My Nike Vapor Pro w/ Aldila RIP a 60 shaft has been an absolute fairway finder compared to the drivers it replaced, but ball speed has always been a touch low. Having worked part-time at a golf course for 8 months gave me some time to demo a few clubs and I was impressed with the latest crop of Ping drivers. Of course, I don't have a ton of money to spend on equipment right now, but the pro had a Ping G LS Tec in 9* w/ Tour 65 Stiff shaft and sold it to me at his cost. I tried the G400 LST with the same shaft and it seemed like a real bomber so the G should be just as good. My mistake.

My experiment with the Ping G failed miserably as it seemed to just spin too low and drop out of the air. During a test round where I alternated between my gamer and the G on each hole, the G found 1/7 (14%) fairways with a maximum total distance of 247 yards and an average of 232. Meanwhile, my Vapor managed 5/7 (57%) fairways with a max of 282 and an avg of 245. As it happens, slow play caused me to join up with a twosome on the 11th hole and one of the gentlemen offered to let me try his G25 after describing my experience with the G. I don't know what loft he handed me or what flex the shaft was - just that it was the stock TFC 189. It took one swing for me to realize that not only was the G a mistake, but my trusted Vapor as well. 

Fast forward a little bit and the G is gone - sold on eBay and shipped it off just today - and I have a 9.5* G25 sitting in my bag with the TFC 189 in stiff flex and an Aldila RIP a 60 to experiment with as well. I took the G25 out on Wednesday and played 18 - 9 holes with the TFC and 9 holes with the Aldila. Over 18 holes I managed 9/14 (64%) fairways with a max of 299 (off the very first tee in soft conditions) and an avg of 253. Looking at each shaft individually, I hit one more fairway with the Aldila than with the TFC, but average distance with the stock shaft was 266 yards vs. 241. More surprising to me was how incredible the TFC felt throughout the swing and at impact compared to the Aldila that I'm so fond of in my Vapor Pro.

In keeping with the theme of mistakes I've made, I've never been satisfied with my Vapor Flex fairway wood and the Vapor Flex hybrid has been touch and go since day one. So, now on order is a Titleist 906F2 w/ Alidla NV 75 Stiff (best fairway I've ever owned and should not have gotten rid of) as well as a Titleist 585 hybrid w/ NV 85 (testing required but definitely prefer the feel over my Nike).

To top it all off, i have finally decided to make the switch from Game Golf Live to Arccos 360. I've long held the position that I would never use Arccos as long as it required having my phone on me at all times, but I've grown tired of waiting for Game Golf to release the new "Pro" version or even release more details. Likewise, their user interface for both the app and the website have gotten long in the tooth. 

So that's it. Those are the changes I will be making and hopefully this is the setup I will continue to play until I can finally afford to get custom fit for a complete new set. Staying in the bag are my Vapor Pro Combo irons (4-PW), Vokey SM5 wedges (52, 56, 60), and my beloved Scotty Futura 6M.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!
    • By DPattGolf
      I fairly new to interacting in the forums and I'm obviously not as connected in the industry as many of you are but I figured why not post this here and see what everyone thinks. Now this may have been previously mentioned (If so apologize for the double post) but I was getting some question answered by someone at Arccos and they mentioned that they have a new sensor set coming that would essentially open up the availability of Cobra Connect to everyone and not just Cobra users. The set would presumably replace the 14 screw sensors with 13 grips with specialized sensors (likely the same one used by Cobra) and 1 putter screw. Wish I had more solid evidence than just a conversation to share with everyone but its still a really cool possibility that I hope becomes a reality. 
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!