Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Bag of Golfspy Matt

Bag update:

After 5 years of excellent service, my TaylorMade Rescue TP is moving to my golf club Hall of Fame. While there is no club I've ever loved more, or hit more good shots with, I can't deny the superiority of the Adams A7 - longer, straighter, and easier to hit.

On that same "longer, straighter, easier to hit" train of thought, I've also gone back to playing my MX-23's from 4-PW. I felt like I wasted way too many good drives with mediocre short iron approaches in Myrtle and I don't want to continue doing that. I think the MX-23's look and feel great, so there's no reason not to take the extra forgiveness.

What irons were you playing before you switched back to MX-23's may I ask?

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm struggling. What loft is that?? 17*? it looks like it says 3 on the toe? shiny pics.. or blurry eyes..

19*, just like the old TM TP

Very nice bag MSaternus! Also I've been starting to see many many more people who bag the Byron putters. My friend from Wales has been on me about trying one for a while as he says they are the best. I like all the custom ordering available. I've just never been a boutique kind of golf guy. My main reason is the fact that most larger OEM's have the money to do much more R&D, that doesn't mean Byron Morgan putters are inferior to say Scotty Cameron or Robert Bettinardi. I guess I just needed to see and here more people bagging these putters to give me that push. That doesn't mean I will throw my Cammy's and Betti's away, it just means you guys along with some of my friends have opened up my eyes to other possibilities. Thanks for your post and pictures.

Tim

Not a problem. If you're ever in Chicago and want to give some Byron's a roll, just let me know.

What irons were you playing before you switched back to MX-23's may I ask?

I was playing MX-23's 4-6 and MP-57's 7-PW.

That Adams headcover looks huge for a hybrid. Is it just me, or is it the picture?

The headcover is actually quite slim, the picture just isn't very good.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

That Adams headcover looks huge for a hybrid. Is it just me, or is it the picture?

Jamo I believe it may just be the camera angle and such as it looks basically the same as the TM that I have had before.... those sleeve type, I had one with a zipper that I thought was bad ass but that just became a problem, the zipper that is.. Sometimes they make these head covers to complicated. Betti's New putter cover with the neoprene swimmers material is by far the best. They should use it for all head covers!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• 2 months later...

The bag as of June 10, 2010:

Driver: R9 460

3W: V-Steel (rusting from lack of use)

Hybrid: 19* Adams A7 (no longer idiot-proof :angry: )

Irons: 3-PW Mizuno MX-23's

GW Mizuno MX-300

Wedges: 55* and 60* Scratch 8620

Putter: Bettinardi/Ben Hogan BB1 Tour

That putter looks suspect for some reason...

I know, I know. I would have turned to the copper mini, but the weight and length are wrong. It's current en route to Byron to get tuned up, and then it will be next in line. That said, if it's wrong to putt the way that I have been lately, than I don't want to be right.

• 1 month later...

A few changes to the bag of late, pics will follow when I get a chance.

Driver: TM R9 460 9.5* Fuji Motore F1

Thriver: Nike SQ Sumo 5000 13* Aldila NV

Hybrid: Adams A7 19*

Hybrid: Tour Issue Adams Idea Pro 24* Aldila Proto VS

5-PW: Mizuno MX-23 KBS Tour

GW: Mizuno MX-300 KBS Tour

SW & LW: Scratch 8620 KBS Tour

Putter: Tour Issue Ben Hogan Bettinardi BB1

Ball: Top Flite Gamer

Love the blue devil. Is that a headcover? I have one but I've never seen one that big

Yup, it's a headcover. Got it during my time in Durham. It's getting a little faded and stretched out, but it'll be in my bag until it starts falling off the driver...then I'll get a new one.

Speaking of headcovers, I forgot to mention that my wife has taken up knitting so I have/will be getting more custom knit headcovers to replace the $(*$ ugly Adams hybrid covers and the R9 HC.

• 2 months later...

Forgot to mention the 1/1 knit headcovers, made by my wife.

those are really nice... did she follow a pattern or just do them freehand? My mother-in-law offered to make me some, but needs a pattern...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

those are really nice... did she follow a pattern or just do them freehand? My mother-in-law offered to make me some, but needs a pattern...

Thanks. She just made up the pattern herself based on measurements. The first one is a little rough, but the second is top notch.

• 2 months later...

Bag Update:

Just picked up a set of Scratch AR-1's with KBS shafts. As of right now (which is totally meaningless since it's cold and snowy) they are in the bag. Love the lack of offset and they feel great. Also re-bagged my Vokey 52* as a gap wedge since the Scratch's have weak (read: awesome) lofts compared to the jacked up lofts on many clubs. The question now is whether or not my new, GolfTEC-improved swing will mean that the 3I goes into the bag over the old TM Rescue TP 19* or if it will stay in the office. Pics will come in the spring if/when they make the bag for reals.

• 3 months later...

Well, the Scratch's never even made green grass. Too short and I just didn't want to put the time into rebuilding them. The bag currently looks like this:

R9 460 (R11 on the way, shafts: Matrix HD6 and Diamana Kai'li, plus the stock Motore TP from the 460)

Tour Edge Exotics CB4 3W

TM Rescue Mid 19*

Mizuno MX-23 4-PW

Mizuno MX-300 GW

Scratch 55* and 60*

Bettinardi BB1

Very psyched about the Tour Edge, first 3W I've had in a long time. New irons are still a possibility, probably Ping S56's or TM TP MC's...just a question of getting them built very very heavy.

• 1 month later...

While I cannot say that I've hit the TP MC's, I have a set of S56's. Absolutely amazing irons and they're very workable. They feel very soft for a cast club. Another good thing about then is that the longer irons aren't overly hard to hit and are pretty easy to get off the ground. Hope that helps.

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

How do you ever gap between the Exotics 3wd and the 19* TM Rescue??? Those clubs would be like 40 yards apart for me...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

While I cannot say that I've hit the TP MC's, I have a set of S56's. Absolutely amazing irons and they're very workable. They feel very soft for a cast club. Another good thing about then is that the longer irons aren't overly hard to hit and are pretty easy to get off the ground. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input. I've actually changed my thinking 180 degrees since then - now thinking about G15's. Those clubs are practically idiot-proof. Haven't hit them outside yet, but on the monitor they can do no wrong. I'm thinking about trying to pass the PAT which has got me thinking about trying to post the best scores possible (which I should be thinking about all along...duh) which has got me thinking about more forgiveness, not less. I have a fitting on Friday that might help me decide. I've also started looking at the Anser irons...pretty nice compromise.

How do you ever gap between the Exotics 3wd and the 19* TM Rescue??? Those clubs would be like 40 yards apart for me...

The Exotics is already gone, got an R9 3W that might get some bag time. To be honest, I don't care about the gaps at the top of the bag at all. I'm really thinking about going driver-18* hybrid. Anything outside of 200-210 (4I) is such a long shot for me that I'm probably not going for it. I need the hybrid for the long par 3's, but other than that, give me more wedges.

• SPY VIP

To be honest, I don't care about the gaps at the top of the bag at all. I'm really thinking about going driver-18* hybrid. Anything outside of 200-210 (4I) is such a long shot for me that I'm probably not going for it. I need the hybrid for the long par 3's, but other than that, give me more wedges.

I've slowly been phasing my FWs out for a while now. Like most I started with a 3W/5W combo. When I bought PING FWs I moved to a 3+/4 combo. Last year I dropped the 3+ and started carrying a 4i/4h again (previously I left a gap from 3H to 5I. 3 weeks ago I dropped the 4W in favor of any 18 degree hybrid. I've found that I can hit it almost as far as I could my 4W, but I'm MUCH more consistent and accurate with it. Apart from the occasional fairway shot, I use it off the tee up to 4 times around on my home course (depending on pin position (we have very long Par 3s) and wind).

Mostly I kept the fairways around for the occasional tee shot (always liked the driver better) and to give me a shot at hitting some more Par 5s in 2. I've finally smartened up enough to figure out that trying to hit a green with a 3, 4, or 5 wood, for me anyway, is an exceptionally low percentage play. If nothing else, carrying the shorter hybrid helps protect me from myself.

I may experiment with a 16 degree, but realistically, the 230 yards I can get off the tee with the 18 is plenty.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• 1 year later...

Man, this has been dead for a long time,but it was fun browsing through all the old iterations again. I went through more stuff than I realized. What's funny is that the only thing still in the bag is the club that most people change the most: the driver. Been through 3 dozen shafts...but that's another story.

Here's what's in the bag now:

TMAG R9 460 w/Matrix Rul 70 (also pictured: Callaway RAZR Hawk w/Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.0)

TMAG RBZ 14.5* w/Diamana Kaili 80

Tour Edge Exotics XCG5 22* w/NUNCHUK!

Ping Anser 4-PW w/KBS Tour

Ping Anser 50, 55, 60 w/KBS Tour

Bettinardi SS11 w/round Best Grips leather grip

Sun Mountain 4.5

CRU Golf Headcovers

Blue Devil driver cover

WITB 6-2012 (2).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (3).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (4).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (5).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (6).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (7).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (8).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (9).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (10).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (11).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (12).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (13).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (14).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (15).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (16).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (17).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (18).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (19).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (20).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (21).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (22).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (23).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (24).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (25).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (26).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (27).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (28).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (29).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (30).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (31).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (32).JPG

Awesome set and I got to say Love the putter cover ;)

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Who cares about stupid golf clubs, I WANT THE PUTTER COVER. Well, ok, I also love the clubs but when can we buy the putter covers?

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Not in the bag...just there, off to the side, keeping the R9 460 honest.

Boo! That RAZR Fit should have knocked the R9 out by now. Hell, my FT9 could banish your R9 to the back-up bag. B)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Got one & I'm kickin myself for not ordering a couple...Excellent quality & it's a great conversation piece, can't tell ya how many guys go straight for my putter to look at the cover, and it aint for what's inside..lol....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

A$$&$*)(#&&*#!!!! :angry:

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid