Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

The Bag of Golfspy Matt

Here's my set up going into 2010. Everything in the bag is pretty safe with the possible exceptions of my hybrid and the wedges (which simply need to be replaced based on wear). The hybrid is the longest tenured member of my bag and I'm loath to displace it, but I feel like there is stuff out there that's longer and straighter and easier to hit, 3 things which I love dearly.

Here they are:

Driver: TM R9 460 9.5 w/Fuji Motore stiff

3W: TM V-Steel w/stock stiff shaft

19* Hybrid: TM Rescue TP w/Rifle stiff

4-6: Mizuno MX-23 w/KBS Tour stiff

7-P: Mizuno MP-57 w/KBS Tour stiff

52*, 56*, 60*: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Wedges, handstamped by me

Putter: A rotation of Byron Morgans (check my putter collection thread), though I have a new 006 on order that I want to make my gamer for the entire year. 006, 34", 330g, copper-plated carbon steel, sight dot.

0224b8cac2a4d5381267510314.jpeg

7034b8cac2a9b74c1267510314.jpeg

0444b8cac2aea8c51267510314.jpeg

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my first set of "real" clubs. My dad bought them for me when I decided I wanted to start playing seriously. I still believe it was done in an effort to get me to quit the game because they have a sweet spot the size of a pea. A few pics of the blades and then a 4I comparison between the blades and my MX-23.

1324b8ca9c840da81267509704.jpeg

3184b8ca9c73a8fc1267509703.jpeg

3514b8caa40e03191267509824.jpeg

4134b8cac2b448ad1267510315.jpeg

Yeah, the old butter knives can be scary. I think I'm going to take them to the dome this week and humble myself a bit.

Right now I'm thinking about the Adams A7. I took a couple swings with it at a demo day recently and thought it was pretty nice. The only things keeping me back are 1) picking a shaft and 2) my long and fruitful relationship with the Rescue TP. It would feel like leaving my wife of 20 years to date a model.

Yeah, the old butter knives can be scary. I think I'm going to take them to the dome this week and humble myself a bit.

Right now I'm thinking about the Adams A7. I took a couple swings with it at a demo day recently and thought it was pretty nice. The only things keeping me back are 1) picking a shaft and 2) my long and fruitful relationship with the Rescue TP. It would feel like leaving my wife of 20 years to date a model.

A7's are quite nice, although, seeing how much you like your TM, why not try the Titleist Hybrid? It should be close in both performance and look.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

A7's are quite nice, although, seeing how much you like your TM, why not try the Titleist Hybrid? It should be close in both performance and look.

If I decide that I need to switch, I'll definitely give everything out there a shot before making my decision. Thanks for the suggestion.

So you are in the copper waiting room too...

Maybe next week.

Being in the waiting room is killing me! I REALLY want the putter to come in before my trip to Myrtle in 2 weeks. Though if it doesn't, I guess I'll have to game that mini copper - really slumming it. HA.

Very nice bag.

Check the TM Raylor. There has been a lot of praise for it and it looks a lot like your TM rescue that you might not even feel you changed it.

Thanks.

I glanced at the Raylor at GG a week or so ago and thought it looked kind of odd. I don't believe that I pulled it off the rack to see how it looked at address, but I remember thinking it looked funny on the shelf. But like anything else, I'll give it a shot and if it works it could be in the bag.

• SPY VIP

If I decide that I need to switch, I'll definitely give everything out there a shot before making my decision. Thanks for the suggestion.

Being in the waiting room is killing me! I REALLY want the putter to come in before my trip to Myrtle in 2 weeks. Though if it doesn't, I guess I'll have to game that mini copper - really slumming it. HA.

I missed the mini copper order. I really want to get one of the solid copper byrons 006 or DH89. Plating will be sweet too, but full copper is for some reason magical to me.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Thanks.

I glanced at the Raylor at GG a week or so ago and thought it looked kind of odd. I don't believe that I pulled it off the rack to see how it looked at address, but I remember thinking it looked funny on the shelf. But like anything else, I'll give it a shot and if it works it could be in the bag.

The Raylor is an inch longer than the traditional Rescue, and obviously the sole is completely different. The only reason that I suggested the Titleist is because the look, flight, and feel are all pretty close to your Rescue. There might be a hidden gem out there though, so good luck on the search.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I missed the mini copper order. I really want to get one of the solid copper byrons 006 or DH89. Plating will be sweet too, but full copper is for some reason magical to me.

I agree, there's something about solid copper, probably because of the rarity, that seems so special. The feel is tremendous, and I'm eager to compare it to copper-plated carbon.

I had a solid copper 006, one of the maker's proofs, but it was the one that had "JASK" stamped on the face and I moved it to Ryan Maille who had Kevin Colbert fix it up for him.

I think there may be a couple solid copper minis available, you'd have to ask Dave.

If a solid copper DH89 comes up for sale (which is really a long shot, there were only, what, 39 I think, and they were all sold in the 3 piece sets), I would think long and hard about grabbing it. Phenomenal shape and if it feels like the mini, it would be a total knockout.

The Raylor is an inch longer than the traditional Rescue, and obviously the sole is completely different. The only reason that I suggested the Titleist is because the look, flight, and feel are all pretty close to your Rescue. There might be a hidden gem out there though, so good luck on the search.

I went ahead and tried the Titleist the other day at GG and you are 100% spot on, it's like a slightly longer version of my Rescue TP. The thing is, I hit both my TP and the Titleist a bit too much to the right. The Adams A7 was an absolute rifle, though, point and shoot down the middle. I think I'm going to wait, however, until I can hit the new Adams Super Hybrid. I really like the Voodoo shaft and that's going to be stock, so that's a plus, and it's supposed to be very forgiving like the A7.

• SPY VIP

I agree, there's something about solid copper, probably because of the rarity, that seems so special. The feel is tremendous, and I'm eager to compare it to copper-plated carbon.

I had a solid copper 006, one of the maker's proofs, but it was the one that had "JASK" stamped on the face and I moved it to Ryan Maille who had Kevin Colbert fix it up for him.

I think there may be a couple solid copper minis available, you'd have to ask Dave.

If a solid copper DH89 comes up for sale (which is really a long shot, there were only, what, 39 I think, and they were all sold in the 3 piece sets), I would think long and hard about grabbing it. Phenomenal shape and if it feels like the mini, it would be a total knockout.

Wife would make this face :( or this one :angry: if I paid the $$$ for the copper DH. Maybe I can start a lawn mowing job on the side.

Volvo Intorqueo

Update

This IS my gamer for 2010:

Byron Morgan 006

34"

330g

Site dot

Carbon steel, copper plated

1/25 surfboard 006 cavity engraving

"Matthew Saternus" on bumpers

Crossed "Byron Morgan" on the face w/peace symbol

Blue Iomic grip

Black Sally HC

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

• SPY VIP

Lucky dog my surfboard 006 brother. only 25 of those engravings

really like the no paintfill

may do that down the road to mine

extra weight came off the bottom?

Volvo Intorqueo

Nice looking bag. I have a set of those Titliest irons lying around. I used them for a round a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks, Dave. The blades are fun to pull out every now and again. I had them at the range last weekend and it was fun. I hit them better than I expected. I'll probably drag them out for a trip around the par 3 course with some friends this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Bag update:

After 5 years of excellent service, my TaylorMade Rescue TP is moving to my golf club Hall of Fame. While there is no club I've ever loved more, or hit more good shots with, I can't deny the superiority of the Adams A7 - longer, straighter, and easier to hit.

On that same "longer, straighter, easier to hit" train of thought, I've also gone back to playing my MX-23's from 4-PW. I felt like I wasted way too many good drives with mediocre short iron approaches in Myrtle and I don't want to continue doing that. I think the MX-23's look and feel great, so there's no reason not to take the extra forgiveness.

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

Bag update:

After 5 years of excellent service, my TaylorMade Rescue TP is moving to my golf club Hall of Fame. While there is no club I've ever loved more, or hit more good shots with, I can't deny the superiority of the Adams A7 - longer, straighter, and easier to hit.

On that same "longer, straighter, easier to hit" train of thought, I've also gone back to playing my MX-23's from 4-PW. I felt like I wasted way too many good drives with mediocre short iron approaches in Myrtle and I don't want to continue doing that. I think the MX-23's look and feel great, so there's no reason not to take the extra forgiveness.

I'm struggling. What loft is that?? 17*? it looks like it says 3 on the toe? shiny pics.. or blurry eyes..

Very nice bag MSaternus! Also I've been starting to see many many more people who bag the Byron putters. My friend from Wales has been on me about trying one for a while as he says they are the best. I like all the custom ordering available. I've just never been a boutique kind of golf guy. My main reason is the fact that most larger OEM's have the money to do much more R&D, that doesn't mean Byron Morgan putters are inferior to say Scotty Cameron or Robert Bettinardi. I guess I just needed to see and here more people bagging these putters to give me that push. That doesn't mean I will throw my Cammy's and Betti's away, it just means you guys along with some of my friends have opened up my eyes to other possibilities. Thanks for your post and pictures.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto