Matt Saternus

The Bag of Golfspy Matt

Our Sponsors

Love the blue devil. Is that a headcover? I have one but I've never seen one that big

Yup, it's a headcover. Got it during my time in Durham. It's getting a little faded and stretched out, but it'll be in my bag until it starts falling off the driver...then I'll get a new one.

Speaking of headcovers, I forgot to mention that my wife has taken up knitting so I have/will be getting more custom knit headcovers to replace the $(*$ ugly Adams hybrid covers and the R9 HC.

New pics with custom ferrules and some custom stamping/paintfill. I stripped all the paintfill from the irons except where I did stamping. Also got some pics of my gamer putter because I realized that I had none.

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

Forgot to mention the 1/1 knit headcovers, made by my wife.

those are really nice... did she follow a pattern or just do them freehand? My mother-in-law offered to make me some, but needs a pattern...

those are really nice... did she follow a pattern or just do them freehand? My mother-in-law offered to make me some, but needs a pattern...

Thanks. She just made up the pattern herself based on measurements. The first one is a little rough, but the second is top notch.

Bag Update:

Just picked up a set of Scratch AR-1's with KBS shafts. As of right now (which is totally meaningless since it's cold and snowy) they are in the bag. Love the lack of offset and they feel great. Also re-bagged my Vokey 52* as a gap wedge since the Scratch's have weak (read: awesome) lofts compared to the jacked up lofts on many clubs. The question now is whether or not my new, GolfTEC-improved swing will mean that the 3I goes into the bag over the old TM Rescue TP 19* or if it will stay in the office. Pics will come in the spring if/when they make the bag for reals.

Well, the Scratch's never even made green grass. Too short and I just didn't want to put the time into rebuilding them. The bag currently looks like this:

R9 460 (R11 on the way, shafts: Matrix HD6 and Diamana Kai'li, plus the stock Motore TP from the 460)

Tour Edge Exotics CB4 3W

TM Rescue Mid 19*

Mizuno MX-23 4-PW

Mizuno MX-300 GW

Scratch 55* and 60*

Bettinardi BB1

Very psyched about the Tour Edge, first 3W I've had in a long time. New irons are still a possibility, probably Ping S56's or TM TP MC's...just a question of getting them built very very heavy.

While I cannot say that I've hit the TP MC's, I have a set of S56's. Absolutely amazing irons and they're very workable. They feel very soft for a cast club. Another good thing about then is that the longer irons aren't overly hard to hit and are pretty easy to get off the ground. Hope that helps.

How do you ever gap between the Exotics 3wd and the 19* TM Rescue??? Those clubs would be like 40 yards apart for me...

While I cannot say that I've hit the TP MC's, I have a set of S56's. Absolutely amazing irons and they're very workable. They feel very soft for a cast club. Another good thing about then is that the longer irons aren't overly hard to hit and are pretty easy to get off the ground. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input. I've actually changed my thinking 180 degrees since then - now thinking about G15's. Those clubs are practically idiot-proof. Haven't hit them outside yet, but on the monitor they can do no wrong. I'm thinking about trying to pass the PAT which has got me thinking about trying to post the best scores possible (which I should be thinking about all along...duh) which has got me thinking about more forgiveness, not less. I have a fitting on Friday that might help me decide. I've also started looking at the Anser irons...pretty nice compromise.

How do you ever gap between the Exotics 3wd and the 19* TM Rescue??? Those clubs would be like 40 yards apart for me...

The Exotics is already gone, got an R9 3W that might get some bag time. To be honest, I don't care about the gaps at the top of the bag at all. I'm really thinking about going driver-18* hybrid. Anything outside of 200-210 (4I) is such a long shot for me that I'm probably not going for it. I need the hybrid for the long par 3's, but other than that, give me more wedges.

To be honest, I don't care about the gaps at the top of the bag at all. I'm really thinking about going driver-18* hybrid. Anything outside of 200-210 (4I) is such a long shot for me that I'm probably not going for it. I need the hybrid for the long par 3's, but other than that, give me more wedges.

I've slowly been phasing my FWs out for a while now. Like most I started with a 3W/5W combo. When I bought PING FWs I moved to a 3+/4 combo. Last year I dropped the 3+ and started carrying a 4i/4h again (previously I left a gap from 3H to 5I. 3 weeks ago I dropped the 4W in favor of any 18 degree hybrid. I've found that I can hit it almost as far as I could my 4W, but I'm MUCH more consistent and accurate with it. Apart from the occasional fairway shot, I use it off the tee up to 4 times around on my home course (depending on pin position (we have very long Par 3s) and wind).

Mostly I kept the fairways around for the occasional tee shot (always liked the driver better) and to give me a shot at hitting some more Par 5s in 2. I've finally smartened up enough to figure out that trying to hit a green with a 3, 4, or 5 wood, for me anyway, is an exceptionally low percentage play. If nothing else, carrying the shorter hybrid helps protect me from myself.

I may experiment with a 16 degree, but realistically, the 230 yards I can get off the tee with the 18 is plenty.

Man, this has been dead for a long time,but it was fun browsing through all the old iterations again. I went through more stuff than I realized. What's funny is that the only thing still in the bag is the club that most people change the most: the driver. Been through 3 dozen shafts...but that's another story.

Here's what's in the bag now:

TMAG R9 460 w/Matrix Rul 70 (also pictured: Callaway RAZR Hawk w/Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.0)

TMAG RBZ 14.5* w/Diamana Kaili 80

Tour Edge Exotics XCG5 22* w/NUNCHUK!

Ping Anser 4-PW w/KBS Tour

Ping Anser 50, 55, 60 w/KBS Tour

Bettinardi SS11 w/round Best Grips leather grip

Sun Mountain 4.5

CRU Golf Headcovers

Blue Devil driver cover

WITB 6-2012 (2).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (3).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (4).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (5).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (6).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (7).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (8).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (9).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (10).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (11).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (12).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (13).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (14).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (15).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (16).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (17).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (18).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (19).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (20).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (21).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (22).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (23).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (24).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (25).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (26).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (27).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (28).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (29).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (30).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (31).JPG

WITB 6-2012 (32).JPG

Who cares about stupid golf clubs, I WANT THE PUTTER COVER. Well, ok, I also love the clubs but when can we buy the putter covers?

The putter cover was available in the MGS Store for a while...looks like it's sold out now. I would imagine if enough people wanted them/pre-ordered, X might do another run.

RAZR Fit? I am so proud of you :)

Not in the bag...just there, off to the side, keeping the R9 460 honest.

Not in the bag...just there, off to the side, keeping the R9 460 honest.

Boo! That RAZR Fit should have knocked the R9 out by now. Hell, my FT9 could banish your R9 to the back-up bag. B)

Boo! That RAZR Fit should have knocked the R9 out by now. Hell, my FT9 could banish your R9 to the back-up bag. B)

Oh you Callaway fan boys.

Your FT9 couldn't find the same zip code as my R9. :D

Got one & I'm kickin myself for not ordering a couple...Excellent quality & it's a great conversation piece, can't tell ya how many guys go straight for my putter to look at the cover, and it aint for what's inside..lol....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

A$$&$*)(#&&*#!!!! :angry: