Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Fitter survey

I'm on my own island so I'll keep my thoughts to myself from now on.

I hope not; everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it is in the minority or majority.  I always find other perspectives educational. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This ties in nicely to my messing around with the PING nFlight online fitting tool last night.  I put in all my correct specs and measurements.  Got a recommendation of iBlades.  I left all numbers the same but changed the handicap to 13.  Got a recommendation of i200's.  Changed the handicap to 21 and got G700.

Out of all those options I'm far more likely to be a G700 player than anything else but OEM's seem to think lowish handicap players don't want or need a more forgiving iron.

So, what to do??   I've been playing off-the-rack clubs for decades; currently TM Burner 2009s, and I adapt a swing to fit these clubs.  I think most guys have done this at one time or another.  You get a new set of clubs and you make changes to your swing until you start hitting them OK.  

So I've been hitting these for a few years now and do OK, but I know deep down they are not the "right" clubs for me.  So I go online and fill out a form with all my measurements (ala Ping) and send it to a custom clubfitter.  He comes back to me and says my shafts should be 1" shorter than normal, and my lie should be 2* flatter.   WHAT!!??

Now he's in my head!  I start messing with my swing again.  I choke down at least an inch on each club and I start bending over more to get a better turn.  Holy crap!  I'm hitting each iron straighter and farther than ever before!

I've made up my mind.  It's time for a new set of clubs!  Only this time, I'm going to get fitted.  But what swing do I bring to the fitter?  My old stand-up-straighter-to-fit-my-club swing, or my newer bend-over-more-with-the-toe-in-the-air approach?  I haven't actually been doing this long enough to call it "my new swing."

So, I'm at the mercy (and competence) of my chosen clubfitter.  I know, deep down, I want a new set of Ping G700s fitted to perfection.  But what if he (and the numbers) tells me I should be hitting Cleveland Launcher HBs??  Nothing against the HBs; they are great clubs!  But I have my heart set on G700s! 

So, what to do??  This whole clubfitting stuff is very stressful!!

So, what to do?? I've been playing off-the-rack clubs for decades; currently TM Burner 2009s, and I adapt a swing to fit these clubs. I think most guys have done this at one time or another. You get a new set of clubs and you make changes to your swing until you start hitting them OK.

So I've been hitting these for a few years now and do OK, but I know deep down they are not the "right" clubs for me. So I go online and fill out a form with all my measurements (ala Ping) and send it to a custom clubfitter. He comes back to me and says my shafts should be 1" shorter than normal, and my lie should be 2* flatter. WHAT!!??

Now he's in my head! I start messing with my swing again. I choke down at least an inch on each club and I start bending over more to get a better turn. Holy crap! I'm hitting each iron straighter and farther than ever before!

I've made up my mind. It's time for a new set of clubs! Only this time, I'm going to get fitted. But what swing do I bring to the fitter? My old stand-up-straighter-to-fit-my-club swing, or my newer bend-over-more-with-the-toe-in-the-air approach? I haven't actually been doing this long enough to call it "my new swing."

So, I'm at the mercy (and competence) of my chosen clubfitter. I know, deep down, I want a new set of Ping G700s fitted to perfection. But what if he (and the numbers) tells me I should be hitting Cleveland Launcher HBs?? Nothing against the HBs; they are great clubs! But I have my heart set on G700s!

So, what to do?? This whole clubfitting stuff is very stressful!!

Research and pick a good and trustworthy fitter. Ask yourself if you want the G700's or do you want the club that will preform best for you. The G700's are great clubs but they may not be the best for you. Personally I would go in with no bias and get the BEST club for me.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I think it's definitely a "myth" that somehow bigger head irons are more forgiving.

The larger the club head the harder it is to square at impact, especially from less than ideal lies. I know plenty of guys who would strike better iron shots if they were not playing with jumbo sized iron heads.

Any data I've seen would debunk your myth. It's pretty consistent that players of all levels improve with game improvement in their irons. Perhaps you are the exception because there are always some of those. But exceptions don't make rules.

And yes there are plenty of guys who won't game what is best because it's butt ugly to their eye. Hence game as much improvement as your eyes will allow us not a bad axiom but it's best to work that our with your fitter and/or teacher.

@burnsie just bring your swing and don't worry about it. The “changes” that you made with your old irons were probably far more subtle than you thought. Anyway the way you're swinging now is your swing. Bring it and see where you end up.

A good fitting includes some give and take between the player and the fitter. It should instill confidence not doubt about equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nothing wrong with GI clubs, especially when you are 67 years old.

I am really enjoying my IMG_0282.JPG

Check back in a couple days for the real test....

#CobraCONNECT

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I found this the other day. Apparently my sticks are in the “game improvement” category according to this site.

And so are Bubba's S55's. A few clubs I would have never thought would be in categories are. Quite interesting.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

It is nice to have a standard system but I am not sure about some of the ratings. There were some MB's in the conventional category while there were CB's in the players classic category. Am I missing something or are our preconceived notions just wrong?

Well since I don't like JS and Freddy is at about the end of the line for playing professionally. I don't see what you are trying to get at.

Sure people play GI irons, nothing wrong with that. I just don't buy all the hoopla.

I know I'll never be a pro golfer, but you only have one shot on this earth, and I'm not about to spend it looking at ugly golf clubs.

My ugly is someone else's perfect, just like my perfect scares the crap out of some people.

Not sure what the problem is with liking and playing blades? As soon as I mention it I get jumped, so I am done talking about it. But if I had the most super duper GI irons no one would say anything.

"Fitting" and, or, " professional fitters" is a business. In recent years club companies have started using "fitting" as a marketing strategy. Also, independent business men and shops are there to build a business, make themselves money, by selling the concept of "fit".

The reality is that a highly skilled player will be able to shoot par with just about any set you give him from the club members bag room.

And amateur players typically will shoot the same score with any set they have, be it borrowing a set from a friend, renting a set while on vacation etc...

If you like the G700 model I recommend using Ping's web fit, which will give you correct length and lie angle for your physique, buy the set, then go play.

There is so much just flat out incorrect about these statements I don't know where to start.

It's hard to ignore a poster when they spew the same repetitive nonsense in every... single.. thread

Nobody is saying a fitting our gi clubs are going to turn a 10 handicap into a scratch golfer. Nobody.

What we are saying is that data, statistics and common sense shows that having a set of clubs that can maximize the performance given a golfer's current swing will make any player better.

You're right. The earth is flat.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to a wall.

I'm sorry if I'm rude, but your passive aggressive bullshit is tiresome.

I can absolutely respect someone else's opinion, but if you pop in on every thread and spew the same bs over and over again and constantly try to correct other people with incorrect advice than I'm going to provide you with the correct information with proof. If you keep on spewing garbage despite multiple people providing you with information that says otherwise, than you are a troll.

I'm done here. Time to take a break for the forum for awhile.

Maybe I'll go practice for 10,000 hours

You're right. The earth is flat.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to a wall.

I'm sorry if I'm rude, but your passive aggressive bullshit is tiresome.

I can absolutely respect someone else's opinion, but if you pop in on every thread and spew the same bs over and over again and constantly try to correct other people with incorrect advice than I'm going to provide you with the correct information with proof. If you keep on spewing garbage despite multiple people providing you with information that says otherwise, than you are a troll.

I'm done here. Time to take a break for the forum for awhile.

Maybe I'll go practice for 10,000 hours

Thank you. It's the same thing over and over and more like preaching than sharing an opinion. I'm guessing he has persimmon woods and old blades in the bag because everything is too big and doesn't help.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I found this the other day. Apparently my sticks are in the “game improvement” category according to this site.

And so are Bubba's S55's. A few clubs I would have never thought would be in categories are. Quite interesting.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

I hate the categories of players, go, sgi. I get companies need a way to market to the avg Joe. Imo there's only one game improvement and that's moving dirt

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A forum is a place to share a variety of opinions and perspectives. If one is different from yours, that does not make it "nonsense".

Topline,  based on my interpretation of your position you would say that a person playing the head shape you describe would play equally as well and have the same dispersion pattern with an x-stiff 130 gram shaft as a senior flex 80 gram shaft?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Topline, based on my interpretation of your position you would say that a person playing the head shape you describe would play equally as well and have the same dispersion pattern with an x-stiff 130 gram shaft as a senior flex 80 gram shaft?

Don't even bother. Trying to reason with a stubborn, person who will never accept any opinion other than their own is a waste of your time and feels like banging your head into the wall. It hurts and you make no progress.

Don't even bother. Trying to reason with a stubborn, person who will never accept any opinion other than their own is a waste of your time and feels like banging your head into the wall. It hurts and you make no progress.

Still hoping Topline will provide more than just the same statements that he usually does.  Hopefully he can will explain his experiences on launch monitors and why he doesn't believe they are accurate.   I think everyone would prefer to be fit outdoors, but a launch monitor is still necessary to get accurate carry distances.  

Still hoping Topline will provide more than just the same statements that he usually does. Hopefully he can will explain his experiences on launch monitors and why he doesn't believe they are accurate. I think everyone would prefer to be fit outdoors, but a launch monitor is still necessary to get accurate carry distances.

He has no profile picture, he's a troll. It's best to ignore and not feed them

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The best golfer I've played with plays AP1 irons. When he plays in club events he's off +6. I know for a fact he was fitted.

He's also finished top 5 in New Zealand Open, so can play a bit.

An open mind is probably a great asset for any golfer.

That said, play whatever makes you happy, and if you can't make them work I'll happily play you for post round drinks

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I'm never offended by those parroting terms with unbridled ignorance.

But it does little good to support your argument against data and technology when you have no data to support you, and ultimately makes your point moot.

What are we even arguing about?

I want to play blades, at least in the 6-PW, you can play whatever you want.

Go ahead and call me a poser, my likes are “vanity”. It just so happens that I am a pretty damn good ball striker. I don't need any data to prove that.

Go ahead and call me ignorant again. I will report every post you make.

Nothing wrong with GI clubs, especially when you are 67 years old.

I am really enjoying my ...

Fairhaven,  those are the same clubs one of my 4-some plays and I have to say, I'm impressed!  He's crushing the ball every week - off the tee and the fairway.  It's a good thing his short game sucks or he'd be kicking my ass every round!

Looking forward to getting fitted!

I don't know why "data" should be in a conversation of about golf equipment.

If I am shopping for a set of irons I take some different models out to a course, play shots from the fairway, sloped lies, the rough, hard pan etc...and soon know which iron model-design , considering all the different golf course lies, consistently produces the best shots for me.

For golf I think the relevant "data" is the player's golf score.

“Data” is sort of the entire point of this website - just saying.

Shankster has made it clear in numerous posts in many threads that he will play blades because that's what he wants to do. I say, good for him, enjoy. The purpose of golf is to have fun. Just understand that it's not the best way or club type for most people.

Also, I don't know why he would think this thread was directed at him. I would PM someone rather than do that. This thread was an FYI for everyone and anyone primarily because we have lots of new members here. They should be interested in what the fitter community has to say. This is a forum about golf and particularly golf equipment.

When it comes to what type of bag set up and iron type are best for a player's game, data matters because it leads to lower scores. It should be obvious to everyone here that there are iron types, wood types, shaft types, ball types, etc that give you the best chance to shoot lower scores. Even Topline's scenario excludes far too many options. Why are you choosing those 4 iron types? Because you like how they look? Okay, but do they fit your swing profile? A fitter will have at his disposal far more choices and a far greater knowledge of which should work best with your swing type.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The best golfer I've played with plays AP1 irons. When he plays in club events he's off +6. I know for a fact he was fitted.

He's also finished top 5 in New Zealand Open, so can play a bit.

An open mind is probably a great asset for any golfer.

That said, play whatever makes you happy, and if you can't make them work I'll happily play you for post round drinks

I would  hazard to guess that the same person probably is a gifted golfer. That is not because of the forgiveness offered by a SGI iron type, simply because a +6 golfer does not get to that playing ability because of the forgiveness on offer. It's despite the apparent forgiveness on offer. There is a difference.

A gifted player can play with whatever they choose - those with less than perfect ball striking do not have the same luxury.

Does fitting narrow the gap between the gifted and the aspiring golfer? You bet it does.

I do not see any significant value to launch monitors.

For many decades players could watch and learn from their shots on practice ranges and golf courses, and they did well.

Just because technology is available to provide computer generated numbers for launch, spin, club head speed, ball speed etc... does not mean these numbers in any way actually help a player strike better shots or shoot lower scores.

No,  but they can help a coach or fitter see if they are striking the ball better to help shoot lower scores.   For many decades people rode horses instead of driving cars,   cooked over fires instead of ovens or microwaves,  took pictures with film instead of digitally, etc, etc.    You can still do things the old ways,  but technology advancements have made the job easier and more accurate.  Look at the ball flight rules,  the decade old rules were proven to be wrong with technology.  

Still interested in your answer to my question about distance and dispersion equality with different weight/flex shafts.  Or do you simply believe any equipment put in a players hands will work provided they practice more?

The technology analogies you provide would only be relevant if "fitters using technology" actually contributed to lowering their customer's golf score. 

We could say the same thing about practice and instruction.  Doesn't always lead to players improving.

Some of your assessments are correct that people have a tendency to overswing, over compensate, and chase specific numbers on launch monitors.   No one disagrees that players need to work on the mental game, technique, short game, etc.  Some of us have done extensive time on launch monitors and have seen how different equipment impacts distance and dispersion.   We also believe that having the right equipment can help to achieve better technique and shot execution which leads to lower scores.   You have your way and we have ours and just like you you won't change your thoughts,  we have seen the benefits to our way.  

The benefit to having the best possible equipment to fit your game regardless of your level is this - you can focus on other things free of worry about - your ball or your clubs.

Golf has so many variables - I like narrowing the variables so that I know that the good and/or bad is all about me and the course that lies ahead and behind.

Right now I know that I don't have the best grips on my irons and 4 wood. That will change soon. Then it's me and what I've got v. the course mano a Mano.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I don't know why "data" should be in a conversation of about golf equipment.

If I am shopping for a set of irons I take some different models out to a course, play shots from the fairway, sloped lies, the rough, hard pan etc...and soon know which iron model-design , considering all the different golf course lies, consistently produces the best shots for me.

For golf I think the relevant "data" is the player's golf score.

I'm honestly curious about this...

Why are you on a site who's entire existence is built around being #datacratic if you don't believe data has any place in golf equipment?  I mean, that's kind of the whole point to all the most wanted tests.  If you read through those you can absolutely see that different clubs perform differently.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It's news to me that "the entire existence of this site is built around being #datacentric".  After you posted that I went to the forum's drop down menu and saw 14 subject categories, none of which contained the word "data".

I originally came to My Golf Spy because this site often emerges in Google searches for particular club models.

https://mygolfspy.com/our-mission/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Archived