revkev

Fitter survey

Ok, I give up. Go buy your shovels.

• Like 2

That's great.... but if I look down and it's a semi truck sitting down there with 1/2” of offset I won't even swing it.

My current RBZ Tours have a pretty decent footprint, a little larger than a typical blade I'd say, with the speed slot and all that added old technology. They are the same lofts roughly with the newer stuff, 47° PW.

But they have a bit more offset than I care to look at.

When I was at the PGA store last I tried pretty much everything under the roof. SGI to MP18.

The club that I personally fell in love with and it showed in performance was the Callaway Apex MB. I just love the way that thing sits behind the ball, it is slightly longer than the MP18, p730, and cobra king. I'd put the titleist mb a close second on blade length... now that's just the way my eyes saw them, and they were the best performing irons for me.

Even better than their CB counterparts.

They can fit me into a shaft all they want, and maybe a CB iron in the 3,4,5 but 6,7,8,9,PW... will be a solid chunk of no technology for me. I don't care if it's 2-5 yards shorter than the super hopped up model. I don't want distance, I want to be able to count on something that I feel the confidence to turn in either direction.

Yeah sure you don't need a players iron to maneuver the ball, but I feel like I can do it without thinking unlike clubs with massive offset or a 2” wide sole...

I agree. I wish there were clubs that are easier to hit than a true blade but still maintain the look and feel.

I hate looking at offset too but don't have the game for clubs without it so I still play the ugly, hard feeling, high offset GI's.

• Like 1

See , now if someone said something like that to you you'd threaten to quit the forum again
  • Like 1

Gladly because that is what gives me the best chance to shoot a good score in a competitive round of golf. That was true at a time when I vacillated between 0-2. Now I'm a piece of crap 7.

Perhaps they might be best for you Shankster but then again they may not. Only you, your fitter and teaching pro would know the answer to that.

The point of this thread remains that according to a survey of certified fitters 2 out of three golfers should play irons with more help. That means 1 out of three are just right.

I totally get that there are tons of irons out there that look better than the ones that I play - other than my wedges - good luck finding wedges that look better than mine. I get the help there with the shaft.

@RP 58 as a Ping Eye 2 guy I hated those Tommy Armors. But it was pure jealousy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

See , now if someone said something like that to you you'd threaten to quit the forum again

Go back to your TXG thread.

Well I didn't expect this result from this thread. I've been contemplating a myths about golf thread.

Im going to wait.

Like this thread it would have no particular person in mind. It would simply be stating facts and you could decide for yourself whether they applied to you.

One of my favorite myths is drive for show, putt for dough. I'm looking at some of the posts on the MGS case study thread and they prove one of my favorite assumptions. Most golfers think the only real difference between themselves and touring pros is on the putting green when in reality it is ball striking - starting with the driver. That's the biggest gap - between 9 strokes for a scratch player and 25 per round for an average golfer.

Putting and chipping are the category where many golfers could get close to touring pro status. It costs nothing but some hard work.

It's relevant here because if you find a set of irons that's easy to hit you could use that range time on your short game.

• Like 7

Well I didn't expect this result from this thread. I've been contemplating a myths about golf thread.

Im going to wait.

Like this thread it would have no particular person in mind. It would simply be stating facts and you could decide for yourself whether they applied to you.

One of my favorite myths is drive for show, putt for dough. I'm looking at some of the posts on the MGS case study thread and they prove one of my favorite assumptions. Most golfers think the only real difference between themselves and touring pros is on the putting green when the reality it is ball striking - starting with the driver.

Putting and chipping are the category where many golfers could get close to touring pro status. It costs nothing but some hard work.

It's relevant here because if you find a set of irons that's easy to hit you could use that range time on your short game.

A 3' target circle 20-24 balls and my putter for an hour on a putting 2x/week did wonders for my putting 2 years ago.

• Like 1

Go ahead Rev. I won't say anything to detract from your other thread.

I'm on my own island so I'll keep my thoughts to myself from now on.

• Like 2

Im going to wait.

One of my favorite myths is drive for show, putt for dough. I'm looking at some of the posts on the MGS case study thread and they prove one of my favorite assumptions. Most golfers think the only real difference between themselves and touring pros is on the putting green when in reality it is ball striking - starting with the driver. That's the biggest gap - between 9 strokes for a scratch player and 25 per round for an average golfer.

Rev, myths about golf would be a great thread.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I'm on my own island so I'll keep my thoughts to myself from now on.

I hope not; everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it is in the minority or majority.  I always find other perspectives educational. 

• Like 1

I hope not; everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it is in the minority or majority. I always find other perspectives educational.

Mine is “vanity” though. Not my fault I don't fall for every marketing trick in the book.

• Like 1

This ties in nicely to my messing around with the PING nFlight online fitting tool last night.  I put in all my correct specs and measurements.  Got a recommendation of iBlades.  I left all numbers the same but changed the handicap to 13.  Got a recommendation of i200's.  Changed the handicap to 21 and got G700.

Out of all those options I'm far more likely to be a G700 player than anything else but OEM's seem to think lowish handicap players don't want or need a more forgiving iron.

So, what to do??   I've been playing off-the-rack clubs for decades; currently TM Burner 2009s, and I adapt a swing to fit these clubs.  I think most guys have done this at one time or another.  You get a new set of clubs and you make changes to your swing until you start hitting them OK.  

So I've been hitting these for a few years now and do OK, but I know deep down they are not the "right" clubs for me.  So I go online and fill out a form with all my measurements (ala Ping) and send it to a custom clubfitter.  He comes back to me and says my shafts should be 1" shorter than normal, and my lie should be 2* flatter.   WHAT!!??

Now he's in my head!  I start messing with my swing again.  I choke down at least an inch on each club and I start bending over more to get a better turn.  Holy crap!  I'm hitting each iron straighter and farther than ever before!

I've made up my mind.  It's time for a new set of clubs!  Only this time, I'm going to get fitted.  But what swing do I bring to the fitter?  My old stand-up-straighter-to-fit-my-club swing, or my newer bend-over-more-with-the-toe-in-the-air approach?  I haven't actually been doing this long enough to call it "my new swing."

So, I'm at the mercy (and competence) of my chosen clubfitter.  I know, deep down, I want a new set of Ping G700s fitted to perfection.  But what if he (and the numbers) tells me I should be hitting Cleveland Launcher HBs??  Nothing against the HBs; they are great clubs!  But I have my heart set on G700s! 

So, what to do??  This whole clubfitting stuff is very stressful!!

• Like 1

So, what to do?? I've been playing off-the-rack clubs for decades; currently TM Burner 2009s, and I adapt a swing to fit these clubs. I think most guys have done this at one time or another. You get a new set of clubs and you make changes to your swing until you start hitting them OK.

So I've been hitting these for a few years now and do OK, but I know deep down they are not the "right" clubs for me. So I go online and fill out a form with all my measurements (ala Ping) and send it to a custom clubfitter. He comes back to me and says my shafts should be 1" shorter than normal, and my lie should be 2* flatter. WHAT!!??

Now he's in my head! I start messing with my swing again. I choke down at least an inch on each club and I start bending over more to get a better turn. Holy crap! I'm hitting each iron straighter and farther than ever before!

I've made up my mind. It's time for a new set of clubs! Only this time, I'm going to get fitted. But what swing do I bring to the fitter? My old stand-up-straighter-to-fit-my-club swing, or my newer bend-over-more-with-the-toe-in-the-air approach? I haven't actually been doing this long enough to call it "my new swing."

So, I'm at the mercy (and competence) of my chosen clubfitter. I know, deep down, I want a new set of Ping G700s fitted to perfection. But what if he (and the numbers) tells me I should be hitting Cleveland Launcher HBs?? Nothing against the HBs; they are great clubs! But I have my heart set on G700s!

So, what to do?? This whole clubfitting stuff is very stressful!!

Research and pick a good and trustworthy fitter. Ask yourself if you want the G700's or do you want the club that will preform best for you. The G700's are great clubs but they may not be the best for you. Personally I would go in with no bias and get the BEST club for me.
  • Like 1

I think it's definitely a "myth" that somehow bigger head irons are more forgiving.

The larger the club head the harder it is to square at impact, especially from less than ideal lies. I know plenty of guys who would strike better iron shots if they were not playing with jumbo sized iron heads.

Any data I've seen would debunk your myth. It's pretty consistent that players of all levels improve with game improvement in their irons. Perhaps you are the exception because there are always some of those. But exceptions don't make rules.

And yes there are plenty of guys who won't game what is best because it's butt ugly to their eye. Hence game as much improvement as your eyes will allow us not a bad axiom but it's best to work that our with your fitter and/or teacher.

@burnsie just bring your swing and don't worry about it. The “changes” that you made with your old irons were probably far more subtle than you thought. Anyway the way you're swinging now is your swing. Bring it and see where you end up.

A good fitting includes some give and take between the player and the fitter. It should instill confidence not doubt about equipment.

• Like 4

I found this the other day. Apparently my sticks are in the “game improvement” category according to this site.

And so are Bubba's S55's. A few clubs I would have never thought would be in categories are. Quite interesting.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with GI clubs, especially when you are 67 years old.

I am really enjoying my IMG_0282.JPG

Check back in a couple days for the real test....

#CobraCONNECT

• Like 4

I found this the other day. Apparently my sticks are in the “game improvement” category according to this site.

And so are Bubba's S55's. A few clubs I would have never thought would be in categories are. Quite interesting.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

It is nice to have a standard system but I am not sure about some of the ratings. There were some MB's in the conventional category while there were CB's in the players classic category. Am I missing something or are our preconceived notions just wrong?

Well since I don't like JS and Freddy is at about the end of the line for playing professionally. I don't see what you are trying to get at.

Sure people play GI irons, nothing wrong with that. I just don't buy all the hoopla.

I know I'll never be a pro golfer, but you only have one shot on this earth, and I'm not about to spend it looking at ugly golf clubs.

My ugly is someone else's perfect, just like my perfect scares the crap out of some people.

Not sure what the problem is with liking and playing blades? As soon as I mention it I get jumped, so I am done talking about it. But if I had the most super duper GI irons no one would say anything.

• Like 2

"Fitting" and, or, " professional fitters" is a business. In recent years club companies have started using "fitting" as a marketing strategy. Also, independent business men and shops are there to build a business, make themselves money, by selling the concept of "fit".

The reality is that a highly skilled player will be able to shoot par with just about any set you give him from the club members bag room.

And amateur players typically will shoot the same score with any set they have, be it borrowing a set from a friend, renting a set while on vacation etc...

If you like the G700 model I recommend using Ping's web fit, which will give you correct length and lie angle for your physique, buy the set, then go play.

There is so much just flat out incorrect about these statements I don't know where to start.

It's hard to ignore a poster when they spew the same repetitive nonsense in every... single.. thread

Nobody is saying a fitting our gi clubs are going to turn a 10 handicap into a scratch golfer. Nobody.

What we are saying is that data, statistics and common sense shows that having a set of clubs that can maximize the performance given a golfer's current swing will make any player better.

• Like 6