Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Fitter survey

I would  hazard to guess that the same person probably is a gifted golfer. That is not because of the forgiveness offered by a SGI iron type, simply because a +6 golfer does not get to that playing ability because of the forgiveness on offer. It's despite the apparent forgiveness on offer. There is a difference.

A gifted player can play with whatever they choose - those with less than perfect ball striking do not have the same luxury.

Does fitting narrow the gap between the gifted and the aspiring golfer? You bet it does.

I agree with your bold points. 

Absolutely he is gifted, and worked really hard to be that way. My main point was that he was fitted for a "less players" iron, when he's more of a player than around 99.99% of golfers, and could have chosen whatever Titleist irons he wanted, and decided after fitting that the AP1's were best for his score.  

What he scores is very important to him, as that's what earns him a living. He is very much a guy that is only worried about the score he writes down, doesn't care what anyone thinks of his equipment or swing.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the link :)

I had not seen that information and, or, visited the "blog" section of this site (which I think is where the information from the link you provided is found).

You should check out the entire website and forum. You might learn a thing or two if your eyes and mind as are open to it.

I have a good friend who is an instructor. He has always thought by the ball flight. He argued with me for years that a LM couldn't tell him anything he needed to know that he wasn't already seeing.

I used to joke thst it was pretty impressive that he could "eyeball" the diffence between 3400 rpm driver spin and 2400 rpm. It pretty much went over his head.

Then he went to visit another "0ld school" teaching buddy of his who showed him how he used LM more and more. Still used his eye test method as well but definitely began understanding the numbers behind The LM. My friend spent a couple days reading everything he could about LM and how to use it in fittings and lessons.

When I saw him a couple months after all this, I was amazed at his level of understanding and excitement about possibly getting one for his teaching.

It was like his optometrist had changed his prescription after 10 years. He could finally see what he didn't know he wasn't seeing. All because he finally decided to quit being a stubborn dinosaur Stuck in the dark ages" his words not mine.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Here is a link to Jack Nicklaus Golf My Way , one of the best instruction books ever written.

https://www.amazon.com/Golf-My-Way-Instructional-Classic/dp/0743267125

"You might learn a thing or two if your eyes and mind are open to it".

Don't need the link. Read the book. It was good. But not the best ever by far. Wasn't it published in the 70's?

Thanks for proving my point.

It's obvious you didn't pay attention to the video. And it was actually more than a month ago. But we know facts aren't important to your posts.

Sorry I'm late to this, but I'd like to respond to the original post. I'm one of those guys that plays clubs that are too good for him (Cleveland 588 CBs) .

The reason I bought them is that I worked in a golf store at the time and Cleveland gave the best discounts so I got $1000 clubs custom fit for $400. I also assumed that my improvement would be quicker than it was as I was just starting to take the game seriously, though I did sit shoot a 40 on a back 9 today which was a new personal best (though that's probably not a big deal for most of you) and my problem was not my irons.

To be honest though, I would love some AP2s or G700s or JPXs. The extra forgiveness would be welcome but I'd rather blow my budget on playing.

To end, I just wanted to say that I'm skeptical of that club difficulty scale shared earlier in the thread. It said that the 588 CBs were a conventional iron (which means I only need to lower my hndcp by 2 to be able to play them according to the site) but the MBs of the same club were GI. Don't know how that works but maybe I should have got a mixed set!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

It's obvious you didn't pay attention to the video. And it was actually more than a month ago. But we know facts aren't important to your posts.

You know what the problem is with everyone?119412f1-083f-40d0-8f30-bd7f0b9bffdc_text.gif

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Uhhh, boys....

I'm a little late to the party here, but once again I find myself in the position of having to say this, and I really don't like doing this...

Disagreements are fine, being disrespectful to other forum members is not. We all have different opinions, and the ONE RULE of this forum is to be respectful.

Once again, am I being clear enough?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sorry I'm late to this, but I'd like to respond to the original post. I'm one of those guys that plays clubs that are too good for him (Cleveland 588 CBs) .

The reason I bought them is that I worked in a golf store at the time and Cleveland gave the best discounts so I got $1000 clubs custom fit for $400. I also assumed that my improvement would be quicker than it was as I was just starting to take the game seriously, though I did sit shoot a 40 on a back 9 today which was a new personal best (though that's probably not a big deal for most of you) and my problem was not my irons.

To be honest though, I would love some AP2s or G700s or JPXs. The extra forgiveness would be welcome but I'd rather blow my budget on playing.

To end, I just wanted to say that I'm skeptical of that club difficulty scale shared earlier in the thread. It said that the 588 CBs were a conventional iron (which means I only need to lower my hndcp by 2 to be able to play them according to the site) but the MBs of the same club were GI. Don't know how that works but maybe I should have got a mixed set!

Probably - mixed sets are good things for most people. Actually what needs to go isn't the playability scale it's the arbitrary for this handicap range that OEMs stick on their clubs. Clubs fit swing types and playing conditions more than handicap range.

If you like the look of the G700 you could pick up a set of G30's for around $300 and be very happy with them.

I certainly understand budgetary limitations. All the reason to get it right the first time.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Revkev, thank you for the interesting discussion. I think that fitters really do have the best interest of the golfer in mind and are trying to help maximize their games. The struggle for me comes with the $ side of things and is why I currently play the G30's. It was affordable for me and gets me as close as possible to what is ideal for me but stays in the budget.

I wonder if the budget of golfers is taken into account when fitters talk about golfers not playing what is best for them.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I want to apologize to everyone.

Especially RP.

Rev I am sorry for trashing your thread with my argument.

Been a rough week, 2 bats in the house, a bear trashed my yard, wife's been in the hospital, short handed at work, the list goes on (just like everyone else's I'm sure)... took out my frustrations on here.

No excuse for being a Jackwagon though.

Cheers!

I want to apologize to everyone.

Especially RP.

Rev I am sorry for trashing your thread with my argument.

Been a rough week, 2 bats in the house, a bear trashed my yard, wife's been in the hospital, short handed at work, the list goes on (just like everyone else's I'm sure)... took out my frustrations on here.

No excuse for being a Jackwagon though.

Cheers!

Understood- just know I didn't start this with you in mind and also I'm not sure it was trashed - there was some productive discussion - threads go where they go.

I hope this week is better for you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Understood- just know I didn't start this with you in mind and also I'm not sure it was trashed - there was some productive discussion - threads go where they go.

I hope this week is better for you.

Yeah I know you didn't. But I am standing my ground that the “fitter” here is bogus. I am sure there are great ones, good ones, and terrible ones... then anything in between. I've been to a few places that I wouldn't want to get fit at... kind of like that shady tattoo parlor right in Newport News...

Anyways, I really wasn't disagreeing that fitting didn't serve a purpose, I would just tell them what I am looking for, and do their best to fit me into that.

I don't want to go to the place to buy a performance (my idea of performance) club and end up with buyers remorse.

I'll mind my helm when it comes to fitting.

So far it is much better than last week, wife got a clean bill of health. She had pneumonia for the 2nd time in 6 months.

Great thread and lots of interesting viewpoints on the subject.  My takeaway is that club fitting is part art, part science - no absolutes here.  Mix that with our vanity and the fitters desire to make the customer happy (and sell equipment), and it doesn't always mean the end result is the best option.  I'm getting fitted for irons tomorrow which includes ball flight data and comparing my PE2's with whatever short list of newer technology he suggests.  Excited to see what direction this takes me.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Yeah I know you didn't. But I am standing my ground that the “fitter” here is bogus. I am sure there are great ones, good ones, and terrible ones... then anything in between. I've been to a few places that I wouldn't want to get fit at... kind of like that shady tattoo parlor right in Newport News...

Anyways, I really wasn't disagreeing that fitting didn't serve a purpose, I would just tell them what I am looking for, and do their best to fit me into that.

I don't want to go to the place to buy a performance (my idea of performance) club and end up with buyers remorse.

I'll mind my helm when it comes to fitting.

So far it is much better than last week, wife got a clean bill of health. She had pneumonia for the 2nd time in 6 months.

FYI it wasn't one fitter who said this - it is a survey of top fitters throughout the country.  I will PM you a link to the full article.

Playability Factor on those is 454.  Having just been introduced to the MPF (via MGS, thank you very much!), I'll be paying close attention to this in any decision to replace my current irons. 

If you like the look of the G700 you could pick up a set of G30's for around $300 and be very happy with them.

I certainly understand budgetary limitations. All the reason to get it right the first time.

My frugal side will almost certainly take over if my fitting event has me looking at newer technology irons.  I'm guessing that the advantage curve has flattened out quite a bit in recent years?  Your example of considering the G30's as an option to the G700's grabs me and my frugal sides attention.  Barring some huge clearance sale on new stuff, I will likely being looking at some used irons sets.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

FYI it wasn't one fitter who said this - it is a survey of top fitters throughout the country. I will PM you a link to the full article.

Sure, I'll read it.

Like I was saying, fitting is in my cards. But I'm not going to shell out the $ for new clubs around here for it. I don't think it would benefit me at all getting fit here, and I'd feel like I'm buying a lemon because of the salesman.

Fitting is obviously necessary, no two swings are alike.

I just wish I could do the week long dialing them in thing. That would be a proper fitting to me, that way you get a weeks worth of misses, not a hour or 2, to include on course shots.

Maybe I'll open the Shankster performance golf center, as a “stay and get fit” golf resort with a spa for the better half's. Pay $2500 for 5 nights stay, and 4 hours of golf fitting per day, and unlimited golf with a 15% discount on clubs.

Any investors?

Sure, I'll read it.

Like I was saying, fitting is in my cards. But I'm not going to shell out the $ for new clubs around here for it. I don't think it would benefit me at all getting fit here, and I'd feel like I'm buying a lemon because of the salesman.

Fitting is obviously necessary, no two swings are alike.

I just wish I could do the week long dialing them in thing. That would be a proper fitting to me, that way you get a weeks worth of misses, not a hour or 2, to include on course shots.

Maybe I'll open the Shankster performance golf center, as a “stay and get fit” golf resort with a spa for the better half's. Pay $2500 for 5 nights stay, and 4 hours of golf fitting per day, and unlimited golf with a 15% discount on clubs.

Any investors?

Not if its going to be in the UP

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3